Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

Yes, excellent Olympics and Paralympics, with much of the structure designed and built by Aussie companies I believe.

Nope. Only the Olympic Village on which the developer/main contractor was Lend Lease (although as per their usual model, most construction was outsourced, as is normal in the commercial building world)

You might be thinking of the adjacent Stratford City development which was largely a Westfield development

I can't think of any other major corporate involvement. Although a number of the staff working on the programme would have been Australian, there are quite a large number of Aussies in the industry in London

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really! I have never spent more than $15 for myself on a weekend and $10.50 for a child ticket!

it must be cheaper where I live....

Not that much different than going to the trafford centre cinema in the UK.

*sigh*

I did say it wasn't much more expensive than in the UK, you must have missed that bit (or chosen to miss it)

And I don't really want to come back and pedantically argue the fine points of cinema ticket prices, I thought it was dead and bured pages ago. My point was that Paul was making out someone saying a trip to the movies cost a family $85 was unreasonable/outrageous/unrealistic. Which it isn't. As per previous, if the article said $120 or something, he'd have a point in picking on it, but at $85 he does not. It is in the realms of what a trip to the movies could easily cost a family. The fact that you *can* spend less then that if you try, does not mean the article was wrong or exaggerating, which was Paul's implication

Edited by northshorepom

Guest liddell92
Less so than in the past but the perception remains and many may think this the case. Australia has a system in place of course but more akin to wealth and toys than the class system that the UK is somewhat renown for. Plenty working in the financial sector in London have made piles of money before thirty and are certainly not members of the ruling class nor great educations. Perhaps not so different in UK after all.

yep i can agree with that, :)

Nope. Only the Olympic Village on which the developer/main contractor was Lend Lease (although as per their usual model, most construction was outsourced, as is normal in the commercial building world)

You might be thinking of the adjacent Stratford City development which was largely a Westfield development

I can't think of any other major corporate involvement. Although a number of the staff working on the programme would have been Australian, there are quite a large number of Aussies in the industry in London

Thanks! When it suits me, I am English, or Australian, and if I am being really greedy, both. Just thinking, too, watching Cold Play on the TV, how I was living in England when the Sydney Olympics were on, and in Sydney for the London Olympics, so 'dipped out' on both.

Cinema tickets, eh? The 'new' sausages? I love 'bangers/snags' - even had quality ones from ASDA in Totton, Hants, for Xmas Dinner once with my Dad, they were so good. I've always agreed with many Poms that Aussie ones are sub-standard, but as an impediment to life in OZ!? 'Leave it out!' Anyway, they do some great ones at the Trinity Bar, courtesy of 'The Irish Butcher.'

Listening to the UK correspondent for the ABC, talking about, how, after three months of rain, and two years of bad economic news, London has put on a fantastic games.

My fav time of the year to go on holiday tbh wakey,so no snow and ice and freeze offs in work wouldnt bother me,each to their own tho i suppose,ive seen people saying they miss snow etc,not me tho

me neither. It was fun when I was a kid and we actually had snow at Christmas, but as a working adult, snow just becomes a reason for chaotic traffic. In recent years, it's just been awful rain, wind and cold anyhow. There are definitely down sides to having 2 weeks off work in horrible weather. I prefer a summer Christmas and we'll be on holiday this year, eating Christmas lunch on the beach!!

me neither. It was fun when I was a kid and we actually had snow at Christmas, but as a working adult, snow just becomes a reason for chaotic traffic. In recent years, it's just been awful rain, wind and cold anyhow. There are definitely down sides to having 2 weeks off work in horrible weather. I prefer a summer Christmas and we'll be on holiday this year, eating Christmas lunch on the beach!!

Yes, I can remember as a boy, seeing any potential ice as an opportunity to 'surf'. Didn't Bob Cratchit join a slide in 'A Christmas Carol?' Now, I edge gingerly along the pavement.

'The clerk promised that he would; and Scrooge walked out with a growl. The office was closed in a twinkling, and the clerk, with the long ends of his white comforter dangling below his waist (for he boasted no great-coat), went down a slide on Cornhill, at the end of a lane of boys, twenty times, in honour of it being Xmas-eve, and then ran home to Camden Town as hard as he could pelt, to play at blindman's buff.'

Guest Guest63690

Why are so many Britons leaving oz in record numbers at a time when the UK is in recession? It has baffled many. but I wonder if some of it is down to good old fashioned homesickness. With technical advancements and a growth in social networking, more and more ex pats can keep up to date with what their loved ones are doing back 'home'. That may be a solace to some or a source of longing and pain to others. For the latter group, it may just be too much, and they come home.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/facebook-can-also-make-homesickness-worse

Thanks! When it suits me, I am English, or Australian, and if I am being really greedy, both. Just thinking, too, watching Cold Play on the TV, how I was living in England when the Sydney Olympics were on, and in Sydney for the London Olympics, so 'dipped out' on both.

Cinema tickets, eh? The 'new' sausages? I love 'bangers/snags' - even had quality ones from ASDA in Totton, Hants, for Xmas Dinner once with my Dad, they were so good. I've always agreed with many Poms that Aussie ones are sub-standard, but as an impediment to life in OZ!? 'Leave it out!' Anyway, they do some great ones at the Trinity Bar, courtesy of 'The Irish Butcher.'

Listening to the UK correspondent for the ABC, talking about, how, after three months of rain, and two years of bad economic news, London has put on a fantastic games.

in terms of olympics and paralympics ......LONDON IS NOW THE BENCHMARK .

Both sell outs ......a first for the paralympics .

A MILLION people on the streets of London today to congratulate our athletes .

As sports reporter Martin Samuels put it

" Those who think the olympics made Britain special just dont get it . It was Britain that made the olympics special ".

There were a lot out there waiting for it to stumble .......there were those within this country having a grumble .....a few were lining up last night to eat humble pie .

Guest liddell92

well to that UK correspondent for the ABC, to be quite honest the weather hasnt actually been bad at all in my area. i cant even remember the last day it rained! even though we are out of summer september has been very hot! 27 degrees yesterday and we are now in Autumn! people love to jump on the stereotypical band-wagon of RAIN, RAIN,RAIN!

To be fair Bunbury its all relative, Australians are banging on, Norwegians are banging on, outer Mongolians like their place, etc. The only reason we are thinking people are banging on about Aus and UK is because they are members of PIO and head banging together. Most people in non PIO land are getting on with their lives not giving a fig as long as they are alright.

I come on PIO because I hope to give some info to people who are moving to Victoria mainly and I have the time being retired, step back a few years and I would not have given a fig either.

i dont wish to labour a point or get into a *** for tat with a fair minded person and poster like yourself ...........but when abroad Australians can be a pain in the ar,e .................i have travelled with many nationalities just fine ............but the aussies are either

The nicest people you have ever met ......or .........you want to deck them within 5 minutes .

There ability to be offensive and rude , especially regarding the British is unsurpassed ......

PS Iam not talking about banter either

well to that UK correspondent for the ABC, to be quite honest the weather hasnt actually been bad at all in my area. i cant even remember the last day it rained! even though we are out of summer september has been very hot! 27 degrees yesterday and we are now in Autumn! people love to jump on the stereotypical band-wagon of RAIN, RAIN,RAIN!

My god!No rain??????And I thought alot of people emigrated due to the fact their kids "never"get to go outside!If its any consolation,where I live has'nt been bad either,very gorgeous weather infact for a while?Bang goes that theory then!Another generalisation thats bull****!So the whole of the UK is'nt ****,and it does'nt rain everywhere in the UK everyday!Wow!Amazing!lol :laugh:

i dont wish to labour a point or get into a *** for tat with a fair minded person and poster like yourself ...........but when abroad Australians can be a pain in the ar,e .................i have travelled with many nationalities just fine ............but the aussies are either

The nicest people you have ever met ......or .........you want to deck them within 5 minutes .

There ability to be offensive and rude , especially regarding the British is unsurpassed ......

As an RAF child and an oil and gas wife I have lived in many countries. The most ignorant and rude group of people I have found are many of my fellow poms to be honest. The famous british sense of humour and sarcasm is often given as a smokescreen for complete and utter nastiness in my opinion. 'It's only a bit of banter' statement is quite frankly a bit boring.

As an RAF child and an oil and gas wife I have lived in many countries. The most ignorant and rude group of people I have found are many of my fellow poms to be honest. The famous british sense of humour and sarcasm is often given as a smokescreen for complete and utter nastiness in my opinion. 'It's only a bit of banter' statement is quite frankly a bit boring.

Your last sentence....... Exactly what I have posted on here before. I think there are plenty that can handle the insults disguised as banter but then when they meet someone who is dry and blunt and no hint or sarcasm it gets a bit hard to take.

Just my thoughts.

Guest liddell92

Actually ive heard that from alot people, my girlfriend whon is a kiwi and also works for Virgin Australia airlines says to me Australians are some of the most rude and arrogant people you can meet and says that australians whinge more than brits :o which i found quite funny. but thats just what i heard, i doubt that is fact! aha

Guest The Ropey HOFF
My god!No rain??????And I thought alot of people emigrated due to the fact their kids "never"get to go outside!If its any consolation,where I live has'nt been bad either,very gorgeous weather infact for a while?Bang goes that theory then!Another generalisation thats bull****!So the whole of the UK is'nt ****,and it does'nt rain everywhere in the UK everyday!Wow!Amazing!lol :laugh:

Well it has been the wettest summer since records began over 150 years ago, but the weather hasnt been bad for the last month, but I personally checked the weather daily from London throughout the summer, if you can call it that and there were less the 20 hot sunny 23 degree plus days out of 92, keep it real, it's summer by name only, but it's been better than last years, record lowest summer temperatures ever, we live in a country of, will it be nice, who knows, will it be crap, who knows, let's not carried get carried away with a bit of decent weather at long last pet.

in terms of olympics and paralympics ......LONDON IS NOW THE BENCHMARK .

Both sell outs ......a first for the paralympics .

A MILLION people on the streets of London today to congratulate our athletes .

As sports reporter Martin Samuels put it

" Those who think the olympics made Britain special just dont get it . It was Britain that made the olympics special ".

There were a lot out there waiting for it to stumble .......there were those within this country having a grumble .....a few were lining up last night to eat humble pie .

See,i just find statements like that cringeworthy tbh,just smacks of english/british arrogance to me,it was a great show put on,but leave it at that for me,no need to gild a lilly

Guest TheArmChairDetective
in terms of olympics and paralympics ......

Thank God it's over, hopefully we can get the TV back to normal now at least....OOps no I'm wrong. The yanks have Presidential Campaign running and being unable to vote in it it is bound to be the only topic on the UK news now.

I'm inclined to agree, but I'd add in many of those who make a virtue of being "plain speaking". This is often just code for being rude and ignorant of what may offend others, even to the point of deliberately doing it just to test out how easily others may bite. There are plenty of ways of holding clear opinions, expressing them, and being assertive, without demanding the compliance & acquiescence that so many of the "call a spade a spade" brigade require if an argument - which is largely what they are looking for - is not to be sparked off