How many people go home with nothing???

Sapphire

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eggytheman - You also need to be prepared to read alot of codswallop off certain members. Ive been in Aus 6 years and never seen a bag of chips anywhere near $30 so try not to worry. If ever your unsure check back and read a posters history, you will soon get an idea if to take their comments on board or not.

Cal x

Eggytheman - You also need to be prepared to read alot of codswallop off certain members. ........If ever your unsure check back and read a posters history, you will soon get an idea if to take their comments on board or not.

Cal x

Indeed.....some are overly positive and try to rubbish any percieved negativity.

hi there fourcorners, forgive me but isent the mine's where good money is? and did your friends have any other work skills? or is work tight over in oz? im moving with my wife and 2 kids, just starting the ball rolling and hope to settle in perth hope there is work out there im just a bricklayer/ supervisor dont think thats as well paid as the mines? thxs for your time and reply! in advance.

Yes you can earn a lot of money working in the mines. But you can also get very good at spending money too! I'm afraid some people can't seem to save a penny no matter what they're earning. Mining companies in Australia face the biggest costs out of anywhere in the world. That factor is putting them off starting new projects here. Many mining companies in my town here have announced redundancies and cost-saving measures. I'm a lucky one in that we have a new owner who wants to invest more here. Personally I wouldn't come out here at the moment unless I had a job secured, just too much uncertainty to come over without especially if you have a family to support. Your savings would dwindle very quickly and you could be left in a sticky situation.

For Gods Sake it was 4 potions of Fish and Chips for $30 ! Talk about missing the point !

Well you would not get four portions of fish and chips for $30 round here.

the menu for our local chippie has fish starting at around $15 per portion......I have just checked.

you may be able to buy Basa or similar for a bit less but you would not want to eat it.

Guest Guest 47403

Sorry not read the whole thread but if you manage to come back to the UK after being in Oz (for a while, not on about those that move out and decide straight away to move back) with nothing you've done something seriously wrong lol a friend of mine is moving back to the UK after 7 years as a copper in Adelaide and reckons he's got enough to move back to a nice area in the South East UK and only have a £50k mortgage!

I too fell in love with Oz when i worked and travelled around the whole country back in 1998 on a working visa. On my return it became my dream to emigrate so i changed careers to IT (spending 4 years doing a degree and then 4 years getting the required work experience + 1 year going through the PR process). In Nov 2008 i achieved my dream of getting Oz PR and set about paying back uni debts and saving as much as i could to head out before the PR expires (which is Nov 2013).

However, Oz is a very different place now to the Oz i knew in 98 and has financially taken a big turn for the worst for a lot of 'would be' emigrators like myself over the last 4 years (ironically since i got my PR but of course in no small part due to the GFC). Back in 98, the exchange rate, renting/housing, cost of living and job market were all favourably better in Oz whereas now it is the other way around for me (i have a nice house with sensible mortgage in UK + great job, good salary, settled, content etc).

So the 'what if' for me now has actually turned around - if i head out to Oz, the value of my savings decreases, I'd spend more on housing/rent and all areas of the cost of living - i'd be worse off across the board apart from the weather! I'd head over to Oz with no job and my money disappearing wondering 'if only i'd stayed in the UK' etc and it would worry me greatly i could lose everything and might return with nothing. Job agencies in Oz have made it very clear to me over the last year that my line of IT is no longer flavour of the month and employers want local experience and qualification now more than ever - so despite my positive and 'can-do' attitude, its important to appreciate it would not be easy, emigrating would be a costly and stressful experience even if i got lucky early on. Having had recent holidays in Oz in 2009 and 2011 i've first hand experience of how things have changed and I've always kept my finger on the pulse via aussie friends.

I just think, well i can spend 6 weeks a year on holiday there now if i want without any work commitments and stay living back in the UK close to family and where it is considerably cheaper (for me in my circumstances) - my quality of life is actually better here but the penny has only recently dropped. There's still the traffic and bills to pay there just like anywhere else and would i find 6 weeks a year to travel carefree around Oz if i actually lived there?

I guess i've changed since 98 now too. :D

We've come home with pretty much nothing. Long story but basically we got shafted by the liquidation of Borders bookshops, with whom my wife had a franchise arrangement, leaving us with huge debts and having to sell the house which we'd used as collateral for loans. Now back in the UK and feeling much better. Living on almost nothing, and well acquainted with the Morrissons Savers brands. Can't even get Jobseekers Allowance as I'm not classed as a "habitual resident" of the UK any more. But I don't mind. It's a struggle, but I'd rather struggle in the company of friends and family than among strangers. We could probably earn more and get back on our feet sooner in Oz, but I just prefer it here - and there's less of a stigma of being 'a loser' here.

We've come home with pretty much nothing. Long story but basically we got shafted by the liquidation of Borders bookshops, with whom my wife had a franchise arrangement, leaving us with huge debts and having to sell the house which we'd used as collateral for loans. Now back in the UK and feeling much better. Living on almost nothing, and well acquainted with the Morrissons Savers brands. Can't even get Jobseekers Allowance as I'm not classed as a "habitual resident" of the UK any more. But I don't mind. It's a struggle, but I'd rather struggle in the company of friends and family than among strangers. We could probably earn more and get back on our feet sooner in Oz, but I just prefer it here - and there's less of a stigma of being 'a loser' here.

I sold up in 1988, house and everything and went with wife and 2 small kids to NZ, to hopefully have a better life. It didn't work out because the jobs were pretty limited and I didn't have PR. We came home in a few months and started again here. Anyway, in 1993 we did it properly and got PR before we went. To cut a long story short it didn't work out again and after a few years we came back a lot poorer. An expensive adventure! We struggled financially at first, but I look back now and think I'm so glad I'm here and not there. From the point of view of the money side of things, if we hadn't of gone, we would be much better off now. Money and possessions aren't that important to me though, a feeling of well being is and I never really felt that while I was there and that's the way I look at it. Another plus side is, if I hadn't have done it I'd still be thinking the UK is a s**thole, which after my experience, it definitely isn't.

You weren't a loser mate, just unlucky.

Financially we returned better off than we left. BUT we had no social life and spent next to nothing on anything but the basics, food, power, clothes, living costs. We weren't massive earners either and for periods my husband didn't work. But I think if we had had some sort of a 'life' there then I can see it can be expensive.

Good post, would rather be poor in the UK than poor in oz, hope you get on your feet soon....it int a bad place hey...:xmas7:

Jojogunne I know how you feel. I lived in NZ for 8 years and have been in oz about 3. The amount of money that is spent is crazy people in the UK would be shocked. BUT its better than not going for me as I see the UK differently and never settled. It has been like a long holiday where you eat more etc. I am so looking forward to being back in the UK and laughing (something I have not done much here). Oz an NZ can both be great for earning more than the UK but am also one of those that is not going back with much at all but I would still have rather have gone and have that totally different outlook to take back with me.

Jojogunne I know how you feel. I lived in NZ for 8 years and have been in oz about 3. The amount of money that is spent is crazy people in the UK would be shocked. BUT its better than not going for me as I see the UK differently and never settled. It has been like a long holiday where you eat more etc. I am so looking forward to being back in the UK and laughing (something I have not done much here). Oz an NZ can both be great for earning more than the UK but am also one of those that is not going back with much at all but I would still have rather have gone and have that totally different outlook to take back with me.

Life's for learning isnt it,might take hard times to get there/realize what yer really want,but the hard yards are what yer look back on and laugh about a lot of times,another! cliche i know,BUT very true for me anyway

The main thing is,"now yer KNOW where yer wanna be",and with that brings some contentment,and maybe closure to feelings of wanderlust

#Had a smoke,thinking too deeply!:wacko:#

Dilemma is,special chow mien or special fried rice?:confused:(and prawn cracker spoons of course)

What about all the people who are born in Australia and have no choice? Or the people born in the UK? Or in any other country? Most people don't have the option of leaving, or don't want to. So if it's just down to finances, you make it because you must. Surely there's more to these stories?

Just to say if you move to a new country you're usually not entitled to any social welfare, so until you get that job you're going to eat into your savings. You'll eat into your savings very quickly in Australia. I'm moving back to Ireland soon and I'm still eligible for unemployment benefit so at least this will pay my rent until I get back working.

As Brits we dont get any help or support on arrival, or whilst we are in OZ, other than through great sites like PIO

I notice here, and Im sure its the same in most of OZ, that the migrants from third world countries get given everything on arrival

There are numerous charities,churches, and resourse centres, where they receive accomodation, food, and yes lots of cash (I worked for one of the large banks here, and witnessed the VERY large amounts of money that they paid in from various charities)

Same as the UK, I hear lots of you say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my point is, its a far easier transition for them

We are 'on our own;, and its 'make or break', theres no inbetween

If you havent got the finances, you cant survive on fresh air

I would rather be in the UK, anyday, than homeless,hungry and jobless in a foreign country

So often people say about moving states, but whilst in essence thats a great idea, a move interstate is VERY expensive, and its a huge gamble.You may just be going from the frying pan , into the fire

Where do you draw the line?? and say ok, enough is enough

Personally had our savings got much lower than they did, we would of had no choice, but to head home straight away.We would of had no choice, no-one is going to feed and house us

Its very easy to go home with nothing.

Whether you love Aus or not, you can not survive on fresh air

Not true. (To the first bit). Migrants as you say have about the same rights and responsibilites regardless of where they came from. Humanitarian refugees on the other hand are given all the help Australia can provide because they have been assessed as needing help. Probably fleeing extreme poverty and/ or abuse war torn countries etc.

America national minimum wage $8 an hour (in recession)

UK national minimum wage $10 an hour ( in recession )

Australia minimum wage $ 15.58 an hour ( not in recession) there's a reason thing cost more and quite frankly I know which economy I prefer !

Two problems with that. On the surface looks great but take into account employment laws and restrictions e.g.most of the USA in non-contract and employment at will ergo its easier to get fired and similarly easier to find a job, plus given the obvious size of the country and its population density some cities/states better than others providing an opportunity to move to alternate places to find work. Secondly, tax brackets and the minimum thresholds for tax levels. Again, using the good old USA as an example, some states don't charge state tax, but real estate taxes are higher, as might be sales tax. Additionally, factors I would consider in the top of decision making are health costs - that should not require any discussion UK wins hands down in my experience having dealt with all three; certainly the quality of service and care in USA is great with the right insurance and thats so long as you can afford it. Just my opinion based on 20 years UK 30 Years USA and 3 in Oz. Make of it as you like.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest22466

I came to Australia 11 years ago married with a child and had a house in the UK which was rented out to pay half the mortgage in the Australia. However within 2 years of getting to Australia I was left divorced and a single parent unable to leave Australia unless I left my child due to the Hague Convention Laws. If I left Australia today which I can not I would go back home with nothing. The ex uk husband got the home in Australia in settlement which he rents out and he went to live with his parents here in oz rent free, he pays no child support at all ,and hardly sees his child .So I have for the past nine years I have worked and cared full time for our child on my own.Life is hard here as a single parent and If I could take my child back home to the uk tomorrow I would be gone. I pay $410 a week rent and struggle as a single parent here. So the answer to your question is yes I would go back to nothing but I would be going back to my lovely family and friends. Life is full of lesson to be learnt..........

As Brits we dont get any help or support on arrival, or whilst we are in OZ, other than through great sites like PIO

I notice here, and Im sure its the same in most of OZ, that the migrants from third world countries get given everything on arrival

There are numerous charities,churches, and resourse centres, where they receive accomodation, food, and yes lots of cash (I worked for one of the large banks here, and witnessed the VERY large amounts of money that they paid in from various charities)

Same as the UK, I hear lots of you say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my point is, its a far easier transition for them

We are 'on our own;, and its 'make or break', theres no inbetween

If you havent got the finances, you cant survive on fresh air

I would rather be in the UK, anyday, than homeless,hungry and jobless in a foreign country

So often people say about moving states, but whilst in essence thats a great idea, a move interstate is VERY expensive, and its a huge gamble.You may just be going from the frying pan , into the fire

Where do you draw the line?? and say ok, enough is enough

Personally had our savings got much lower than they did, we would of had no choice, but to head home straight away.We would of had no choice, no-one is going to feed and house us

Its very easy to go home with nothing.

Whether you love Aus or not, you can not survive on fresh air

I do get a little annoyed at comments like people from third worlds countries (possibly taking about asylum seekers!?) Getting large amount of money. They all get paid the same, after they have paid for emergency accommodation when they leave detention if you think $80 a week is loads of money, then my apologies.

Something I have never seen asked on PIO

The reason I ask is a couple of people i know, came out to OZ,with money from the sale of their UK homes and savings

Things dident work out, one way or another, loosing jobs, not being able to find work,high cost of living, and their savings went very quickly

They have both returned to the UK, with their families, in a dire financial state, one now rents a caravan in Southend, and she will never own her own home again,due to her age etc

One family couldent even afford to ship back thier little dog, he had to be rehomed, and she had to sell of her furniture,as she could not afford shipping costs

We all think we will be ok, and when we plan this journey of a lifetime, I think most of us convince ourselves that we are making a one way trip

I never expected to be returning to the UK,when I left,so if someone had asked me what I would do, if I lost everything here, I think I would of just thought"oh everything will work out for us, we will get jobs, and be fine, we wont come back, we will be ok"

But what happens if it all goes wrong

To go back with nothing, or far less than what you came with

That is something most of us never think will happen to us

I wonder if its far more common than we know?

How do people cope,with loosing everything they have worked for,when it all goes wrong in Oz, and they have to head back to the UK

Thats so sad...chasing dreams for a better life only for it to go belly up. I guess its like taking any risk in life, it works for some, and doesnt for other, whether thru luck, chance, opportunity. With all the activity that was at the airport 25yrs ago with my whole family there to see us off on our adventure. I still remember my Dad pulled me aside and said "give it the best shot you can, if it doesn't work out, dont come back with your tail between your legs thinking you've failed, you haven't, you've done what a lot of people only dream of doing but don't have the courage to try".

I am amazed that many people no longer save for a rainy day. I feel it's my responsibility to have a nest egg in case things get tough financially, and even more so when there are dependent children. Too many people use their entire disposable income on living costs and never build up any savings, yet feel it is financially responsible to bring children into that. In my mind, having children is making a financial commitment as well as an emotional one.

Archived