How many people go home with nothing???

Sapphire

I wish we had kept our house and not given up all our ties in the UK, and rented here.But I never expected to be going back to the UK

I wish we had kept our bank accounts, as they are a real pain to set up,when you have been away for a few years

Aus is an adventure,but migration, shipping etc,etc, is a very expensive business, and the budget once you arrive can blow out, very fast

Quite scary how much we spent,just surviving,for the first 4 weeks until we could get a house.

Those $s, went very quickly,so I can easily see how people get in trouble, especially if they can not secure work

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish we had kept our house and not given up all our ties in the UK, and rented here.But I never expected to be going back to the UK

I wish we had kept our bank accounts, as they are a real pain to set up,when you have been away for a few years

Aus is an adventure,but migration, shipping etc,etc, is a very expensive business, and the budget once you arrive can blow out, very fast

Quite scary how much we spent,just surviving,for the first 4 weeks until we could get a house.

Those $s, went very quickly,so I can easily see how people get in trouble, especially if they can not secure work

It can be very difficult indeed. Always good to have backup in UK . A lot don't realise that there is a lot of casual and part time employment here. While some are making big bucks many are on pretty ordinary incomes which I shall never tire of informing folk about.

A lot depends on attitude, I agree with earlier posts in this thread where the concern was people come over and look at lifestyle first (where to live) and job second. And you have to put the effort and sacrifice in, that is often missed.

This is my fourth country, the last three were work moves, this one was ours. The critical thing to realise is 'this isn't a long holiday' it's just life somewhere warmer. Bills have to be paid, the boss is a jerk, etc. nothing fundamental to living really changes.

As said before, work is critical. Our plan was Canberra, but as we had friends in Adelaide I landed there. Two weeks of looking I got a call from Sydney agent so I thought 'what the hell' and flew up. To make the best of the day I rang a couple of HR managers from big companies and asked to see them, flew home with an offer in my pocket.

I should also say I came here 4 months before the family as I didn't want them to come until we knew where we would live.

Now the offer was low, relatively, but I took it. I ended up I Sydney where I didn't want to be, but I had a good job and some security.

12 months on, I haven't taken a days leave, worked long hours, but just got 40k pay rise. Have two cars, kids happy in school and just about made deposit for house. When I arrived I had been made redundant in the middle east and arrived with $4k with the family living with her mum back in the UK.

Now in the second year we can take a deep breath and begin to enjoy, the hard bit is nearly over.

The first year or two are hard, stressful and nothing like the sunshine adverts you see, but we knew that before we landed.

A lot depends on attitude, I agree with earlier posts in this thread where the concern was people come over and look at lifestyle first (where to live) and job second. And you have to put the effort and sacrifice in, that is often missed.

This is my fourth country, the last three were work moves, this one was ours. The critical thing to realise is 'this isn't a long holiday' it's just life somewhere warmer. Bills have to be paid, the boss is a jerk, etc. nothing fundamental to living really changes.

As said before, work is critical. Our plan was Canberra, but as we had friends in Adelaide I landed there. Two weeks of looking I got a call from Sydney agent so I thought 'what the hell' and flew up. To make the best of the day I rang a couple of HR managers from big companies and asked to see them, flew home with an offer in my pocket.

I should also say I came here 4 months before the family as I didn't want them to come until we knew where we would live.

Now the offer was low, relatively, but I took it. I ended up I Sydney where I didn't want to be, but I had a good job and some security.

12 months on, I haven't taken a days leave, worked long hours, but just got 40k pay rise. Have two cars, kids happy in school and just about made deposit for house. When I arrived I had been made redundant in the middle east and arrived with $4k with the family living with her mum back in the UK.

Now in the second year we can take a deep breath and begin to enjoy, the hard bit is nearly over.

The first year or two are hard, stressful and nothing like the sunshine adverts you see, but we knew that before we landed.

Just wanted to say, well done mate for what you have achieved. You have obviously adapted in areas that you needed to and it's worked out for you.

It can be very difficult indeed. Always good to have backup in UK . A lot don't realise that there is a lot of casual and part time employment here. While some are making big bucks many are on pretty ordinary incomes which I shall never tire of informing folk about.

Ah but national minimum wage here is over $15 dollars an hour compare that to the UK thats thats a heck of a lot better even doing the casual, part time work.

We came into this world with nothing..we leave with nothing...having nothing in the middle can often be a not so negatjive thing! Anyone who can emigrate has earning power...as long as we can get jobs we can rebuild...and if we cant get jobs the govt look after us...I think we worry too much about money and/or the lack of it.....Anything is possible so if you aren't prepared to take the chance stay put.

Spot on Fiona, spot on!

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to return to the UK or elsewhere if their savings are dwindling. What is in the UK or "back home" that you cannot find in Oz? What if you move back home and you're unable to find a job even in the UK? Now you're doubly stuck - not only did you spend money on relocation costs, but now you are at the same place you found yourself in Oz - with a different "wallpaper"

Many people sell their homes to have money in Oz, yet I'm seeing plenty of people from the "third world" who don't even have that much and they're able to establish decent lives without bringing in cash from a sold home back home. So what is the difference? Sometimes I think that it's just the amount of spoilage and lack of resistance in people. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I haven't gone through a similar situation, I just don't see how moving back can solve anything.

Well we would be a prime example of those who came with nothing and left with nothing. We arrived in October 2008 with just 8 suitcases and no jobs to come to. We did well for the first two years, both found employment (albeit I did end up doing 5 jobs in 2 years), but then my OH lost employment and he was the main breadwinner, he applied for a variety of jobs, not just in Perth but all over Australia, we were willing to go wherever the work was, however, the length of time it was taking going for interviews and not getting that offer, and the fact that our savings were going fast was not helping us. We tried our damnest to stay in Australia, but we couldn't survive on my wage.

I got offered my old job back in Canada and it was at a higher wage than I was making in Australia, so within a 3 week span we sold up all our possessions, rehomed animals and flew back to Canada.

Do I look at making the move back as a step backwards, and putting my kids in poverty, certainely not. In fact, I think having made the move there and back has given me a new perspective on life. Material things to me now mean absolutely nothing. I don't give a hoot about having a big house a brand new car or furniture, or owning the latest toys.

At the end of the day I have realized that material things or posessions can be replaced. Money or having lots of it or lots of stuff to show for it means nothing to me now. As long as I am healthy, happy and have my family around me, that is all I ask for. As long as I have enough money to keep a roof over my head, food on the table and the lights on, then I am fine.

Cheers

Karen

This isn't about ping-ponging, but it's quite similar.

I was born in Oz in 79 and lived there until 93. Back in the early 90's there was a recession and my dad lost his job( MD for a german company) in Sydney. He managed to get a job in Melbourne, so we sold up and moved down south. Within the year he chucked in his job ( couldn't work for the ar$€holes ) and ended up working in the nestle factory for 6months doing nights, just to pay the mortgage. My mum was working, but 1 job couldn't pay all the bills. Dad packed chocolates on the graveyard shift until we moved back to sydney for work again ( he got temp work) Finally the temp worked dried up and he left for europe by himself. within 2 months he had work and we all moved over within 6months, after he'd found a house, schools etc etc.

I can understand that if things don't go the way some want it to in OZ, that they upticks and move back home, somewhere they are familiar with, and with friends and family close by. But there are quite a few that move abroad and have the look at me, look what I have, my shoes, cars, boats thing, and thats where it all goes wrong.

I've moved from Oz to Holland, then from Holland to Spain, and Spain to Belgium, and have seen it all before, especially in Spain. Dutch, Germans and English, turn up to the costa, buy a villa, a boat, a 4WD and live their lives like it's one big holiday. Obviously there are exceptions!!!!

We're planning on selling our home and business here in Belgium and move back to Oz in about 4 yrs, but whether we'll be self employed again, I'm no quite to sure about it, as I wouldn't want to throw all our savings in a business and hope that it all goes well. There are other options that we are looking at....

This is just my 2 cents worth.... sorry for rambling on!

And my Dad is biggest HERO!!!!

We were skint in the UK at all times, we took out a loan and with one thing an another by the time get back we will have spent 50,000 pounds. We are both nurses and have 2 kids under the age of 5.

Thats an expensive 2 years.

We will return to a different location in the Uk with no jobs.

However we wont be ruled by money, we will get home and sort it out. Dont worry about it.

Obviously if we had known we would return in 2 years we would never have done it, but if you worry about what will happen with money if things go wrong you wont ever do anything exciting. Had it been my dog I would have paid on a credit card and got the little chap home....or a loan...or anything!!!!!!!

There is always a grab bag of excellent posts when I log in each day; this is one of them!

Look;-there are so many variables. There are indeed people who throw caution to the wind (watching one of those 'settling in Spain' programmes astounded me, because of the many UKians who thought they were going to Utopia and it would be a cakewalk!).

I know that many do not think things out, it is a normal human failing.

What I won't do is say that because I was capable of doing what I did,-those that did not succeed and return/returned to the UK, have done something wrong.

If you think that it 'will all fall into place' you are riding for a fall. It's inevitable. But those who simply did not have enough resource to cover them; tried to find/keep work, are not in anyway less than me and thee because they at least tried.

I came with very little, and a young child; I knew no-one. My aviation qualifications mattered nought. I got an office job; I negotiated to clean those offices, and I got a live-in housekeepers job.

I would cycle to work; finish there, go 'home' swing a duster and vacuum whilst a meal was cooking; clear up; then cycle back to the offices and clean them. I finished about midnight and did it all again the next day.

It would kill me now!!! But I raked it in, and bought new furniture for a complete house in one fell swoop.

Aren't I good? Well not exactly. If we can do it, it does not automatically mean that others are less than because they nave not been able to, despite their best efforts.

It is simple: Australia is not a 'holiday' if you are migrating, it is hard to get everything done that needs to be done. But if you make a damn good effort and fail, then you are not less than.

I admit I have little sympathy for those who expect things will be easy, because Oz is sunny/laid back lifestyle/etc.

But if you did try hard and failed, you are no less than me or anyone else.

I mean absolutely no offence Cadas. I am simply saying that we are not all the same, and lesser achievement does not necessarily mean lack of effort.

Theres another post, just popped up in 'news,chats and dillemmas" help we've nearly run out of money!!!

Personally I would rather be in the UK, where I know I can get help,stay with friends,if I run out of money, hence why I think so many have no choice but to head home

Sometimes you just cant fight it any longer

If you have run out of money here, you are not going to get any help whatsoever, you are on your own, unless you are lucky enough to have relatives or friends to stay with here

For us, it was never an option, we knew no-one

At some points we thought we would be sleeping on a bench in city park

We were at breaking point,but managed to find a house, just in the nick of time

5 years ago, when we came, jobs were easier to secure in construction, albeit, we would of cleaned toilets, if we had to

I can so easily see how people go home, with nothing, when you make a big desicion to emigrate,whether it be to OZ or anywhere

Would I do it again, and risk everything I have,everything I have worked for in the UK, would I leave all my security and support network behind?

Not for anything,,,,,certainly knowing what I do now, and seeing it go so wrong for so many

Thats my personal feelings, obviously there are many it has worked out for, but I could never do it again

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to return to the UK or elsewhere if their savings are dwindling. What is in the UK or "back home" that you cannot find in Oz? What if you move back home and you're unable to find a job even in the UK? Now you're doubly stuck - not only did you spend money on relocation costs, but now you are at the same place you found yourself in Oz - with a different "wallpaper"

Many people sell their homes to have money in Oz, yet I'm seeing plenty of people from the "third world" who don't even have that much and they're able to establish decent lives without bringing in cash from a sold home back home. So what is the difference? Sometimes I think that it's just the amount of spoilage and lack of resistance in people. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I haven't gone through a similar situation, I just don't see how moving back can solve anything.

Because when you can't go forward; you go back. You go back to what you knew. You may well go back having lost everything-but you are back to what you knew.

It seems to me that there is very little consideration for normal human frailty here. I'll grant that people don;t realise how hard it's going to be;-(and it's WAY harder than when I came),-but if-if you tried.. I cannot understand why everyone has been categorised in the same way.

Your last paragraph though is valid and an excellent point.

Might I diplomatically suggest that there is a completely different mindset with those migrants. They are coming to a far better life. Full stop,-a far better life. They will do whatever they have to to succeed and make a life. I really admire them! They deserve all that they achieve.

I wish we all had that ethic. But we came from (comparatively)-a similar lifestyle. The perceptions are totally different, rather than 'less than'.

As Brits we dont get any help or support on arrival, or whilst we are in OZ, other than through great sites like PIO

I notice here, and Im sure its the same in most of OZ, that the migrants from third world countries get given everything on arrival

There are numerous charities,churches, and resourse centres, where they receive accomodation, food, and yes lots of cash (I worked for one of the large banks here, and witnessed the VERY large amounts of money that they paid in from various charities)

Same as the UK, I hear lots of you say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my point is, its a far easier transition for them

We are 'on our own;, and its 'make or break', theres no inbetween

If you havent got the finances, you cant survive on fresh air

I would rather be in the UK, anyday, than homeless,hungry and jobless in a foreign country

So often people say about moving states, but whilst in essence thats a great idea, a move interstate is VERY expensive, and its a huge gamble.You may just be going from the frying pan , into the fire

Where do you draw the line?? and say ok, enough is enough

Personally had our savings got much lower than they did, we would of had no choice, but to head home straight away.We would of had no choice, no-one is going to feed and house us

Its very easy to go home with nothing.

Whether you love Aus or not, you can not survive on fresh air

A big difference is that you normally can't claim any benefits on arrival in Oz for 2 years so if you don't find work you are in serious trouble. Hence the issues several posters are having on here at the moment.

Also, some jobs are in high demand in the uk at the moment that are starting to show weakness in Oz.

Guest JK2510

I think it depends on someone's mind set as well...we have friends that know a family that have been here for 4 mths....he still has no job!! No plumbing jobs in Perth?? Im not so sure?? Anyhow they have spent $120k in 4 mths....may have to return to the uk! How would you blow $120k in 4 months?

Totaly agree VeryStormy,with your post

We were in contact with the Government dept here, by email , they sent us newspapers, and litreture telling us, how wonderful everything was, and they encouraged us, to come here

They would help us find accomodation on arrival, help us hire a car, take us around and show us where everything was,,,so many promises

Fantastic we thought

We phoned them from Melbourne airport as arranged, and had been told if we let them know our flight times, there would be a 'Meet and Greet" at the airport...

Only to be told, the girl we had been dealing with had gone on leave, and wouldent be back for 2 years,,,,yes 2 years

And the woman we spoke said'Dont know what you are talking about, we cant help you, with any of that!!! OMG

So we boarded the plane, got here, and managed to find our way to a grotty motel,,,,,,my dog would of complained

Thankfully we made our way, and the rest is history, but my point is,,,,theres no help whatsoever,we could be sleeping on park benches for all anyone cared

The funniest thing was though, I made a stinking complaint to the boss of the department, and he gave me "lip-service" and apolgised for the inconvienience, as they do

He then phoned me several months later to say they were looking for migrants to do an interview for Australia And New Zealand magazine, and would we be interested ,in telling them what a wonderful experince we had , and about the help we had received????? haha

Needless to say,,I never heard from them...lol

Not necessarily mate. My missus hasn't had enough National Insurance class 1 contributions for the past 2 years, as we were in Aus and she has been off work with the baby, to get job seekers allowances. Even though she has paid into NI for the previous 6 years before that.

Didn't know how that worked. Must be even tougher then if you have to return with nothing and can't get any help.

Well obviously a lot are not getting the money to pay grossly inflated prices.The mining area only employs so many.
Me and the wife don't work in mining and we don't have many friends that do, we all seem to be doing fine. Like I say they are only "grossly inflated prices" if you convert back to pounds and do a comparison. I also don't find everything expensive either.

Doesn't matter where you live there are always going to be some people worse of than others and struggle with costs.

Me and the wife don't work in mining and we don't have many friends that do, we all seem to be doing fine. Like I say they are only "grossly inflated prices" if you convert back to pounds and do a comparison. I also don't find everything expensive either.

Doesn't matter where you live there are always going to be some people worse of than others and struggle with costs.

Spot on, I only have a couple of friends who's OH's are Fifo the rest are just normal people on normal trades earning a good living, including my OH. As for these people losing huge chunks of money........how ????

A big difference is that you normally can't claim any benefits on arrival in Oz for 2 years so if you don't find work you are in serious trouble. Hence the issues several posters are having on here at the moment.

Also, some jobs are in high demand in the uk at the moment that are starting to show weakness in Oz.

And I agree with you, trust me when I tell you, but what's to say if someone returned he or she will get one of those jobs? The point I'm making is that either way, there is a risk in staying or leaving. One can actually make their situation a lot worse by going back home, unless of course, they plan on staying with family. But not everyone here has the luxury of accommodating with family who are willing to take them in.

Sorry, I can't agree. The suggestion that the inflated prices in Australia are because one is converting into pounds is not true for most I suspect. I gave up that exercise thirty years ago.

Australia does pay inflated prices.

I needed some swim suits in that wotsit...extra strength hold in :embarrassed: elastine. They were $250 average here. I sent to the US using bankers cheque's! (ended up using two!). $25 per cheque (don't ask. Long story). With exchange rates/bank costs and s/suit costs/pp,- I bought three ($80-$130 AUD per btw) and still came in way under what I'd pay for three here.

Dyson DC26. Floor price (retail) $599. So-called barter price: $479. (Haven't you got a bargain, dear?).

UK/US from $280-$340 AUD

I don't think it serves any purpose to deny that we pay more here in Australia, other to inflate prices even more.

There is always a grab bag of excellent posts when I log in each day; this is one of them!

Look;-there are so many variables. There are indeed people who throw caution to the wind (watching one of those 'settling in Spain' programmes astounded me, because of the many UKians who thought they were going to Utopia and it would be a cakewalk!).

I know that many do not think things out, it is a normal human failing.

What I won't do is say that because I was capable of doing what I did,-those that did not succeed and return/returned to the UK, have done something wrong.

If you think that it 'will all fall into place' you are riding for a fall. It's inevitable. But those who simply did not have enough resource to cover them; tried to find/keep work, are not in anyway less than me and thee because they at least tried.

I came with very little, and a young child; I knew no-one. My aviation qualifications mattered nought. I got an office job; I negotiated to clean those offices, and I got a live-in housekeepers job.

I would cycle to work; finish there, go 'home' swing a duster and vacuum whilst a meal was cooking; clear up; then cycle back to the offices and clean them. I finished about midnight and did it all again the next day.

It would kill me now!!! But I raked it in, and bought new furniture for a complete house in one fell swoop.

Aren't I good? Well not exactly. If we can do it, it does not automatically mean that others are less than because they nave not been able to, despite their best efforts.

It is simple: Australia is not a 'holiday' if you are migrating, it is hard to get everything done that needs to be done. But if you make a damn good effort and fail, then you are not less than.

I admit I have little sympathy for those who expect things will be easy, because Oz is sunny/laid back lifestyle/etc.

But if you did try hard and failed, you are no less than me or anyone else.

I mean absolutely no offence Cadas. I am simply saying that we are not all the same, and lesser achievement does not necessarily mean lack of effort.

Not sure there was anything to take offense at, agree with it all.

What I was trying to get over is that relocating to a new country is incredibly hard.

We came the long route. After redundancy in UK we ran away to France and lived the dream, little farm, me going back to my passion of cabinet making and for four years made good money. But towards the end, if I had a buck for everyone who was quitting the uk to become a web developer or builder in paradise, working a few hours each day and spending the rest enjoying fine food and wine. After buying a ruin, the obligatory donkey or goat, two years later in a red wine haze they went home.

After losing the business I went to the desert to work, but my family shifted to Spain. Same story, sell up move to costa del wherever, villa, pool.... Easy life. Builder, estate agent, take your pick, but two years later give keys to bank and go home in a cerveza haze.

Look, I'm not saying that no one tries, and many work as hard as I did and things don't go to plan..crap happens as I found out in France.

But I do worry when I read posts on here from people fed up with Uk and so determined that their lives will be a million times better in Aus, without appreciating what the move will actually mean. And, what they will have to give up, compromise or sacrifice until they are settled which could take 1,2 or 3 years.

As Brits we dont get any help or support on arrival, or whilst we are in OZ, other than through great sites like PIO

I notice here, and Im sure its the same in most of OZ, that the migrants from third world countries get given everything on arrival

There are numerous charities,churches, and resourse centres, where they receive accomodation, food, and yes lots of cash (I worked for one of the large banks here, and witnessed the VERY large amounts of money that they paid in from various charities)

Same as the UK, I hear lots of you say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my point is, its a far easier transition for them

We are 'on our own;, and its 'make or break', theres no inbetween

If you havent got the finances, you cant survive on fresh air

I would rather be in the UK, anyday, than homeless,hungry and jobless in a foreign country

So often people say about moving states, but whilst in essence thats a great idea, a move interstate is VERY expensive, and its a huge gamble.You may just be going from the frying pan , into the fire

Where do you draw the line?? and say ok, enough is enough

Personally had our savings got much lower than they did, we would of had no choice, but to head home straight away.We would of had no choice, no-one is going to feed and house us

Its very easy to go home with nothing.

Whether you love Aus or not, you can not survive on fresh air

I could avoid this, but I won't..

I can't agree with you Sapphire, sorry. But I'll approach it from the other end.

I did not expect to receive accommodation/food/cash. I expected to work to get it. However, the reason I expected to work to get it, is though I came here with very little and a youngster; I came from a First World country, and thus a comparatively good situation. I could also speak the language..

I am happy to say that even with that little resource I didn't need help. Those that have nothing, who have had to flee (and it is for another place to argue that one!), and who cannot speak the language, and who experience a huge culture shock,-have far more to deal with. We had something; they have nothing. (I did see some absurd bozo suggest on another site that they come in 'designer suits with gold chains'! ((verbatim)).

I am OK with what they get, because as a UKer or Australian I have more than them. And of course if time did NOT see T/W refugees working hard to improve their lot, then maybe we could begrudge them.

Archived