How many people go home with nothing???

Sapphire

I could avoid this, but I won't..

I can't agree with you Sapphire, sorry. But I'll approach it from the other end.

I did not expect to receive accommodation/food/cash. I expected to work to get it. However, the reason I expected to work to get it, is though I came here with very little and a youngster; I came from a First World country, and thus a comparatively good situation. I could also speak the language..

I am happy to say that even with that little resource I didn't need help. Those that have nothing, who have had to flee (and it is for another place to argue that one!), and who cannot speak the language, and who experience a huge culture shock,-have far more to deal with. We had something; they have nothing. (I did see some absurd bozo suggest on another site that they come in 'designer suits with gold chains'! ((verbatim)).

I am OK with what they get, because as a UKer or Australian I have more than them. And of course if time did NOT see T/W refugees working hard to improve their lot, then maybe we could begrudge them.

Oh dont get me wrong Zee, we dident expect to come here and get everything given to us, but the point I am trying to make, is about how tough it can be, and say, "you dont get any help", even if you think there may be some sort of support network when you emigrate

Once you are here, you are on your own, and it can be exceedindly tough

I dont think many,realise how many obstacles and hurdles there are ,to get accomodation and jobs etc

No matter how determined you may be,to make it work , sometimes it just doesant happen that way, and it turns into a complete disaster

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We came to England with a 2 year old, and about a gran in the bank.. nout all else... We leave for Australia filling a 40foot container, 2 kids a dog and still the same man I came with lol

Didnt anyone say anything Shell?human rights an all.............:daydreaming::no:

Did yer keep her in a safe deposit box?or just a current account?:wink::wubclub:

Are grans like premium bonds to you Aussies or what?:ssign12::policeman:

:wubclub:

Dyson DC26. Floor price (retail) $599. So-called barter price: $479. (Haven't you got a bargain, dear?).

UK/US from $280-$340 AUD

I think that you've neglected to put postal charges on those Dyson prices. In many instances of (heavy) things that I've wanted to import from UK/USA such as fish tank filters/kayaks/inflatable kayaks/vacum cleaner, at first glance the prices look great, but when the freight is added the price is prohibitive. Light expensive items are worth importing but heavy stuff, no way. I wanted a replacement bladder (not sold here) for an inflatable kayak............the price was 49 GBP and the freight was 53GBP. An aquarium filter was half the Oz price if bought from the USA but the freight raised the price to $40 above the Oz price. IMHO that indicates (to me) that the inflated prices here are attributable to freight costs as opposed to "being rippped off"

I think that you've neglected to put postal charges on those Dyson prices. In many instances of (heavy) things that I've wanted to import from UK/USA such as fish tank filters/kayaks/inflatable kayaks/vacum cleaner, at first glance the prices look great, but when the freight is added the price is prohibitive. Light expensive items are worth importing but heavy stuff, no way. I wanted a replacement bladder (not sold here) for an inflatable kayak............the price was 49 GBP and the freight was 53GBP. An aquarium filter was half the Oz price if bought from the USA but the freight raised the price to $40 above the Oz price. IMHO that indicates (to me) that the inflated prices here are attributable to freight costs as opposed to "being rippped off"

Thanks for your reply JD.

I neglected nothing. I am only too well aware that there are a lot of justifications for being ripped off in retail Australia, so I covered all bases let me assure you.

I'm somewhat surprised that you would think that I 'neglected' such an elementary matter when talking costs. It is essential when discussing such, to add all costs. I did.

Again this appears to come down to pot half full-half empty principle. 'Freight costs' in NZ are not as they are here. This gouging is occurring because our politicians have little interest in anything other than retaining power/indulging big business/ fawning to the US, and ensuring that their salary and perks remain higher then that of politicians in any other democracy-on the planet.

The working principle in Australia appears to be: 'higher'. It has happened as I have said, because of political and societal inertia.

The Australian retail sector can whine all it wants about o/s and online competition. They had it coming. They should have pushed the issue of import costs with Government decades ago. They did not, because they didn't have to; we paid up!

Now we have alternatives. Tough mammies to them. The retail industry and their political mast.. feckwits are entirely responsible for what has happened.

My only concern remains for the worker; the retail staff who lose their jobs because of this enduring ineptitude.

I'll stick with what I said: denying this is causing it to continue and thrive.

( And those bank 'fees and charges? I accepted all those as noted on the contract of transaction. They of course have to declare these F&C's. They didn't. Banks routinely not only convert to the required foreign currency at that days rate-they add a surcharge to that rate!

It wasn't on the contract. The justification when I discovered it, was that ' it's on our website that we do this; other banks do it.

I approached the ACCC. Their advice was to tell my bank I had approached them.... The bank refunded that hidden charge.

So? That's me fixed. How many are unaware of that undeclared charge-which by law must be declared on the contract.

Why do they do it?.......Because they can).

Yup. We pay more here alright.

Oh dont get me wrong Zee, we dident expect to come here and get everything given to us, but the point I am trying to make, is about how tough it can be, and say, "you dont get any help", even if you think there may be some sort of support network when you emigrate

Once you are here, you are on your own, and it can be exceedindly tough

I dont think many,realise how many obstacles and hurdles there are ,to get accomodation and jobs etc

No matter how determined you may be,to make it work , sometimes it just doesant happen that way, and it turns into a complete disaster

I take your point. Frankly given what you were assured was going to occur at the airport, and then it didn't, is a pretty lousy intro to your new country.

I was met at the airport, but once I got that bit over, I hit the ground running. Please don't misunderstand-I'm actually not saying I got on with it-so should you.

I'm saying that what I did was almost obsessive compulsive. I wanted that bit over with;-I had things that had to be done. I suspect they found me a little brusque,-but I was frightened that if I didn't get a job yesterday, I would be destitute in a foreign country with a little child. What drove me was fear. Plain fear.

For you it was different, for starters there is family and their feelings to consider, and the biggest thing of all: I'm talking about the seventies -even though things were getting tougher, it was still possible to get a job within days. It took me eight days.

This has mightily changed; even when you came. I tell you what,-if migrants now have not secured a job-more important than anything else, they will find their savings will drain mega fast. I think things started to change for the worst in the eighties-they are damned difficult now, and have been for quite sometime.

With no shadow of a doubt; even if at the same age; I could not do now what I did then.

I take your point. Frankly given what you were assured was going to occur at the airport, and then it didn't, is a pretty lousy intro to your new country.

I was met at the airport, but once I got that bit over, I hit the ground running. Please don't misunderstand-I'm actually not saying I got on with it-so should you.

I'm saying that what I did was almost obsessive compulsive. I wanted that bit over with;-I had things that had to be done. I suspect they found me a little brusque,-but I was frightened that if I didn't get a job yesterday, I would be destitute in a foreign country with a little child. What drove me was fear. Plain fear.

For you it was different, for starters there is family and their feelings to consider, and the biggest thing of all: I'm talking about the seventies -even though things were getting tougher, it was still possible to get a job within days. It took me eight days.

This has mightily changed; even when you came. I tell you what,-if migrants now have not secured a job-more important than anything else, they will find their savings will drain mega fast. I think things started to change for the worst in the eighties-they are damned difficult now, and have been for quite sometime.

With no shadow of a doubt; even if at the same age; I could not do now what I did then.

You must of seen some massive shanges over the years Zee

We have seen alot of changes in the last 5 years,and even now when I look back, to when we arrived, I thank my lucky stars that we managed to buy a house, and sort out some work.Its far more difficult to secure work now, and the money you bring vanishes very fast, and thats only on essentials and day to day surviving.Its very tough

Would I move to another area, in the UK, that I dont know, and give up my home, my job, my family support network, and not know if I was ever going to get a job in the area, or if I would be unable to find any accommodation???? No I would not, but I like many others took that risk, but came all the way to the other side of the world ??????

Would I ever risk it again? Absolutely no

I think it depends on someone's mind set as well...we have friends that know a family that have been here for 4 mths....he still has no job!! No plumbing jobs in Perth?? Im not so sure?? Anyhow they have spent $120k in 4 mths....may have to return to the uk! How would you blow $120k in 4 months?

I cannot understand how they blew $120 thousand in four months?? That is a massive sum to spend $30 thousand a month!!

we (my wife and little boy) came here to Perth last year in April with around 5000 pounds total after flights etc, once we had bought a second hand ute that figure was around 2000 pounds to live on get a rental and find a job, in essence it was a big gamble for us to come to Australia, but one that we had worked hard for in the uk and waited patiently for nearly four years, having to jump through many 'hoops' for the Australian government, rightly so in my opinion as its a two way street Australia offer you a different /new / adventure whatever you are looking for, you in return offer Australia your skills, knowledge and willingness to participate and respect the Australian way of life.

we used our life savings to come here I cannot imagine being able to have $120,000 to start that new life with, let alone spending it! For us it's has worked out, partially through maybe luck but mainly through hard work and determination, I remember just before coming out to oz posting on here to someone who said you need a minimum of 300,000 pounds / dollars (carn't remember which) to come here, which I totally disagreed with and as someone else rightly put it because we didn't have a huge sum to come with it would make us 'hungry' for it which is true we didn't have the option of a huge pot to fall back on, we had to hit the ground running.......as it happens I managed to secure a job within a couple of weeks as a welder / steel fabricator and here we are just over a year later building a new house on Lakelands in mandurah w.a. And we have just bought a new car ( we have never had a new car in our life!) and we are as we speak waiting for the birth of our second child (a baby girl) who was due last Thursday she is late just like her dad lol :)......one day we will return to the uk to wales were we are from after having our ' big Aussie adventure' ....To those that return with very little I sincerely do sympathise! I have been in them shoes most of my life, and I wish you all the luck in the world?......To those who come with vast sums and blow it....I am not so sympathetic with?...however it is not my place to judge..... maybe their circumstances conspired against them good luck to all returnees from the bug family :biggrin:

Sorry, I can't agree. The suggestion that the inflated prices in Australia are because one is converting into pounds is not true for most I suspect. I gave up that exercise thirty years ago.

Australia does pay inflated prices.

I needed some swim suits in that wotsit...extra strength hold in :embarrassed: elastine. They were $250 average here. I sent to the US using bankers cheque's! (ended up using two!). $25 per cheque (don't ask. Long story). With exchange rates/bank costs and s/suit costs/pp,- I bought three ($80-$130 AUD per btw) and still came in way under what I'd pay for three here.

Dyson DC26. Floor price (retail) $599. So-called barter price: $479. (Haven't you got a bargain, dear?).

UK/US from $280-$340 AUD

I don't think it serves any purpose to deny that we pay more here in Australia, other to inflate prices even more.

If I were paying that much for a swimsuit, even the ones from the US I would pack up swimming. You must be mad. You can buy lots of stuff on-line now and we do, especially sporting gear, running shoes, swimwear, almost half the price on-line.

Did you really need a Dyson or could you have got by with one of the cheap ones from Godfreys. Bagless vacuum cleaners start at $49:00, wouldn't call that expensive, don't know how they make them at that price.

If I were paying that much for a swimsuit, even the ones from the US I would pack up swimming. You must be mad.

She's not mad...she's just not a teeny bopper who can slip into two tiny bits of material and look OK.

Those are reasonable prices for a swimsuit for a lady of a certain age who wants something which will hold it all in and won't stretch or disintegrate after 2 wearings! :biggrin: I've bought swimsuits online from the US and paid that sort of price for decent quality. Still cheaper than you'd pay here.

More importantly I think the point here is why are you coming here?! if its for a job like me then its easy leave things in the UK till you decide if its right for you, I thought I would only last 2/3 months here so rented out my house, left my car with my family and left all my stuff at my parents, 2 and a half years later I still have all those things, never sold my car as when I go back to uk its nice to have it, still renting out my house and will never sell until its costing me more to keep it than making. So I dont understand why people will pack up and sell everything when they dont know if they will like it, get a job etc even if you have a job like I do (signed a year contact) you never know if you might get sacked or hate the job or location so advice to anyone coming out here - Keep as much stuff as you can in the UK and if it does not work out here then you have something to go back to. Selling a house or all your stuff is not going to get you far here as house prices are way too expensive here and you will run out of money v quick, better to rent, find a job and when are good or you need extra cash then sell but for me if you have to sell your house to leave over here you are doing it the wrong way!

If I lose everything here, I have my house/car and family to go back to. Dont put all your eggs in one basket as you never know what will happen here, not every gets a job they like or you might not even like it here for one reason or the other so think before you pack up and sell everything always leave something back home you can sell later if you need to or can go back to.

excluding the rare products that are actually manufactured in Britain like the Dyson, many goods are manufactured in Asia, and as we are such close friends with them here, one would think we'd get the stuff cheaper. Also, the shipping cost is significantly cheaper when it's by the truck load, as oppose to a private individual purchase. There's really no excuse for many things being so expensive in Australia, apart from the many people who are brain washed into thinking "we're in the middle of nowhere, so it must be expensive", or "it's made in Australia for Australian conditions (like we all live in the outback), so it must be the best in the world and expensive", strange how many of these things aren't sold outside of Australia despite being so good, I guess the rest of the world doesn't need Australian quality. How does it explain things like software downloads, which are also double the cost of the US for the same software? Can't blame shipping costs for that. It's so blatantly obvious, there's even been an investigation into price hiking, but nothing will come of it, just like the investigation into why LPG doubled in price in just a few weeks and the bizzare petrol price cycle where all the servos put their petrol up and down in perfect sync, without colluding on prices! Only effects petrol though, not diesel or LPG. Strange that.

More importantly I think the point here is why are you coming here?! if its for a job like me then its easy leave things in the UK till you decide if its right for you, I thought I would only last 2/3 months here so rented out my house, left my car with my family and left all my stuff at my parents, 2 and a half years later I still have all those things, never sold my car as when I go back to uk its nice to have it, still renting out my house and will never sell until its costing me more to keep it than making. So I dont understand why people will pack up and sell everything when they dont know if they will like it, get a job etc even if you have a job like I do (signed a year contact) you never know if you might get sacked or hate the job or location so advice to anyone coming out here - Keep as much stuff as you can in the UK and if it does not work out here then you have something to go back to. Selling a house or all your stuff is not going to get you far here as house prices are way too expensive here and you will run out of money v quick, better to rent, find a job and when are good or you need extra cash then sell but for me if you have to sell your house to leave over here you are doing it the wrong way!

If I lose everything here, I have my house/car and family to go back to. Dont put all your eggs in one basket as you never know what will happen here, not every gets a job they like or you might not even like it here for one reason or the other so think before you pack up and sell everything always leave something back home you can sell later if you need to or can go back to.

Our problem when we emigrated and I suspect many others, was that we needed to sell up and maximise our cash so we could afford to come. Wouldn't have been able to afford plane tickets without the money we made from the house sale.

She's not mad...she's just not a teeny bopper who can slip into two tiny bits of material and look OK.

Those are reasonable prices for a swimsuit for a lady of a certain age who wants something which will hold it all in and won't stretch or disintegrate after 2 wearings! :biggrin: I've bought swimsuits online from the US and paid that sort of price for decent quality. Still cheaper than you'd pay here.

Just an aside, I was also shocked at the price for a good quality swim costume here in Melbourne. Ended up buying one from m and s for £20.00, they have a great range.

If I were paying that much for a swimsuit, even the ones from the US I would pack up swimming. You must be mad. You can buy lots of stuff on-line now and we do, especially sporting gear, running shoes, swimwear, almost half the price on-line.

Did you really need a Dyson or could you have got by with one of the cheap ones from Godfreys. Bagless vacuum cleaners start at $49:00, wouldn't call that expensive, don't know how they make them at that price.

Well now Paul, I wasn't mad, but I am now.

I must admit given that the damn medication I'm on has caused rapid weight gain (proven side effect btw,-I'm not going debate that one), I went looking for a bin bag.

I searched hither and thither, up hill down dale, and o'er yonder. The bliddy thing only came in black! I ask you! And it did not one damn thing for the twins!

So I decided to go for something that had cups like pudding basins, and scaffolding. Don't you just hate it when the chest bumps keep banging on the knees? Does the knees no good at all.

I've given your suggestion about the vacuum careful thought. Why even spend $49? I shall employ a vagrant-say 80 cents an hour (they'll be grateful; they have so little).

Get them to go around the house very slowly walking on their hands and 'suck it up' as they say. For hard surfaces, they can just lick it clean. It will make them feel they have something to contribute, it will give them something to live for, and that is nice don't you think?

Paul, I am so grateful to you. My wasteful days are over. I feel free; I feel liberated, and I am going to give someone a job!!

Thank-you Paul. Without your advice this would never have happened.

And thank-you for confirming what I was trying to say.

Sorry, I can't agree. The suggestion that the inflated prices in Australia are because one is converting into pounds is not true for most I suspect. I gave up that exercise thirty years ago.

Australia does pay inflated prices.

I needed some swim suits in that wotsit...extra strength hold in :embarrassed: elastine. They were $250 average here. I sent to the US using bankers cheque's! (ended up using two!). $25 per cheque (don't ask. Long story). With exchange rates/bank costs and s/suit costs/pp,- I bought three ($80-$130 AUD per btw) and still came in way under what I'd pay for three here.

UK/US from $280-$340 AUD

I don't think it serves any purpose to deny that we pay more here in Australia, other to inflate prices even more.

You have to inflate prices to cover the exorbitant costs of wages retail space and utilities - some idiot tried to tell it was GST he got a quick lesson in math and VAT. Even if its $479/110 thats $434 without GST the prices here are ludicrously high but then you get paid more if you have a job and are taxed less. Problem lies in getting a job.

You have to inflate prices to cover the exorbitant costs of wages retail space and utilities - some idiot tried to tell it was GST he got a quick lesson in math and VAT. Even if its $479/110 thats $434 without GST the prices here are ludicrously high but then you get paid more if you have a job and are taxed less. Problem lies in getting a job.

Getting a job does seem to be a problem, for many

Not as easy as some make out

Feel so sorry for those that seem to be learning the hard way

Doesant seem to matter what state you are in, its pretty awful for a lot of people now,Aussies included

• 3 months later...

Well, I am one of those who has spent an awful lot of money getting the visa etc sorted out - not so different to others here. In the (nearyl) 1 1/2 years that I have been here and I have had rotten luck with work and settling down.

I married an Aussie lass and we live in her father's house (she is his carer) so location was kind of set! Not a problem I believed as I would find work and if we had to move then so be it. I did find work - a 1 year contract which ic now ending. In the meantime we have just had awful luck with numerous breakdowns' in the house (water tank, garage doors etc etc) and it has just been one thing after another and it has cost.

Before I got the job - took me 5 months - I went through a fair amount of my savings - not least of all on the wedding, but in usual costs whilst job searching. Because of all the issues we have experienced, I have not saved much, and because I have not settled, I am taking the opportunity to evaluate a return before I spend everything else I have.

I kept my house in Scotland so have that to go back to, and I still have some savings there which I cannot afford losing as then I will have nothing. I do not anticipate I will get another job here any quicker than the last time, and as I have just not settled, I don't want to waste any more time thinking 'stick it out - it'll work out fine'!! My wife and stepson (13) are supportive of going to the UK - we have a major family and friends support network there (nothing here!) - I have a large network of ex-colleagues etc and a pretty good reputation which I beleive will give me a far greater chance of employment there than here,

By the time we get visa's sorted out - transport my cat back - get flights - ship stuff etc - I will be leaving with significantly less than I came with. But, crucially, I will still have some operating cash left, and whilst money is not everything, it makes decision-making, paying the bills and living an awful lot easier!!

A harsh lesson? Probably, but if I hadn't tried, I wouldn't have known that the dreamy-cushdy Aus life that everyone raves about is not all it's cracked up to be ..........well, not for me anyway!!

I would add, that whilst it has been a costly experience, not as rewarding as I had hoped, and will leave far poorer off financially than I was and could have been , if I go back, I will be going back far richer in life with a beautiful supportive and loving wife, and stepson, with whom we have shared the experience and will be much much stronger for it!! We will also have far greater appreciation what life has to offer us :-)

We were absolutely amazed at how much money we have burned through since we arrived ! Well over $25K and we have only been here since the end of August ! We still have our house and our car in the UK but loathed to spend another $10K to get our car here. We ended up buying a Holden instead.

If you read any of my past blogs you can probably tell luck hasnt been on our side since we arrived with one thing and another but you know what we did last Sunday afternoon ? Sat on Brighton beach with a bag of chips and a diet coke while he kids played and it was Fantastic

Of course money matters but sometimes you get a day like last week when it didnt ! Ok the chips were $30 but hey it was fun !

Our Xmas tree arrived today whcih we will decorate tonight with the boys then tomorrow we have our dreaded 3 month inspection ! And guess what our Hoover broke this morning ! See told my luck was not very good !

A lot depends on attitude, I agree with earlier posts in this thread where the concern was people come over and look at lifestyle first (where to live) and job second. And you have to put the effort and sacrifice in, that is often missed.

This is my fourth country, the last three were work moves, this one was ours. The critical thing to realise is 'this isn't a long holiday' it's just life somewhere warmer. Bills have to be paid, the boss is a jerk, etc. nothing fundamental to living really changes.

As said before, work is critical. Our plan was Canberra, but as we had friends in Adelaide I landed there. Two weeks of looking I got a call from Sydney agent so I thought 'what the hell' and flew up. To make the best of the day I rang a couple of HR managers from big companies and asked to see them, flew home with an offer in my pocket.

I should also say I came here 4 months before the family as I didn't want them to come until we knew where we would live.

Now the offer was low, relatively, but I took it. I ended up I Sydney where I didn't want to be, but I had a good job and some security.

12 months on, I haven't taken a days leave, worked long hours, but just got 40k pay rise. Have two cars, kids happy in school and just about made deposit for house. When I arrived I had been made redundant in the middle east and arrived with $4k with the family living with her mum back in the UK.

Now in the second year we can take a deep breath and begin to enjoy, the hard bit is nearly over.

The first year or two are hard, stressful and nothing like the sunshine adverts you see, but we knew that before we landed.

Good on you, sounds like your hard work paid off. I can completely agree with the last line, except to say we are in the UK instead & in to our 2nd year. I think where ever you move to, those first couple of years are exactly that "hard & stressful!" Got to put the hard work & graft in, for it to pay off.

Guest eggytheman

hi there fourcorners, forgive me but isent the mine's where good money is? and did your friends have any other work skills? or is work tight over in oz? im moving with my wife and 2 kids, just starting the ball rolling and hope to settle in perth hope there is work out there im just a bricklayer/ supervisor dont think thats as well paid as the mines? thxs for your time and reply! in advance.

My parents moved from country to country with not much money, they just liked the adventure, they also moved all over Australia never putting down roots. Just loved it. My mum who is 93 would move tomorrow if I let her, its all a new challenge and new experience.

Not for me though, I disliked having to make new friends all the time and new schools, however the experience left me very able to be able to move countries and make the most of it.

The book of Petals says, job comes first, place to live second, eat cheaply and buy second hand or cheap stuff. This way not such a drain on cash and resources. Also if you want to move on, leave the rubbish stuff behind and travel light.

We live in Melbourne but we could have been living in the Hunter Valley region, we were going to move there when my oh got a job here and so we stayed, we do love Melbourne and wouldnot move from it but in those early days when he was first looking to leave the sea we would have gone anywhere that a good job came up. We did not think about suburbs and all that stuff that people seem to think about these days, we just thought "job".

When my Dad's jobs ended, they loaded up the ute and headed to another "job" This is survival wherever you are. Pennies coming in.

Cannot blame Aus for painting a nice picture of life here, they are marketing the place just like the soap powder at the supermarket that is going to remove every stain you can think of. Pinch of salt stuff.

Its hard being a migrant if you want luxury but if you want adventure and something new its a blast.

Mum looks back on her life with fondness. Wading across a river in Africa with my brother in a carry cot, wild animals, living in the Kimberly, not for everyone but a great life.

Guest eggytheman

hi tender sorry to hear you news good luck in what you do decide to do. can you tel me what state you are living in? as im planning to give perth a crack! and dont want to sound nosey but what is your line of work as im a bricky and just wondered how the construction side of things is where you are? thxs in advance for your time and help!

Guest eggytheman

$30 for a bag of chips is that for real? or was that several fish and chips? thxs for your reply and hope your luck changes for the better!

Archived