Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

Guest Ptp113
Spend your life savings going to Australia - nope.

Australia is not a good place to be poor in.

And neither is blighty. What's your point?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn’t do it. Using all my funds to finance a move in the hope of something better would be too big a gamble for me. Personally I would be looking to make the same changes, but nearer to home. Job opportunities, housing, and education standards vary throughout the UK and before I moved my family half way round the world I would need to be pretty sure that it was the best option. To use all my savings only to discover I was no better off, and stuck because I couldn’t afford to return would be devastating. But then, I’m not a natural risk taker and the thrill of the adventure would not be much comfort to me if things went pear shaped. Just my thoughts - different folks on PIO have and will offer totally different points of view. I hope all works out well for you. Tx

Would rather be poor in Australia than in the UK, especially in winter...Come to that, in "summer", as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

You might bobj, but with hardly any welfare for poor people in oz I would rather be poor in the 34th best place in the world according to hoff to be honet .

Guest Kelly R

If you are spending your life savings then I would think very very carefully especially if you have young kids I came over last year with my hubby and 2 daughters determined that the UK was finished and we would be way better off in Austrailia and that our kids would have a better life etc etc it is beautiful here and its brilliant when you first get here and you are in holiday mode but that does ware off, its very expensive here and its not a great start when you are exchanging your life savings at these rotten exchange rates, me and my husband were both looking for work a week in as we knew our savings would go fast 3 months in thank god he got a job as we barely made it through, we have also found it to be very isolating with no family support, especially when you are put under such financial pressure, another thing I under estimated is how hard it would be without my family we got lots of support from our parents on both sides with our girls so they were very close to their grandparents the fact that they may only see them once a year now is very hard to swallow as they are the only children in the family, saying this we saw our parents 2-3 times a week the kids used to stopover and I had no problems if we wanted to go out the odd night, when all that support goes you really feel it and for me I have realised I am not the kind of person who can cope without them, I am very close to my parents and I have been lost without out them I guess what Im saying is consider how close you are to your family and if you can realistically do it without them, saying all this I don't regret my decision to come here it has been a fantastic life experience and I have a greater appreciation for the life I left behind, Austrailia is a great place and lots of people make it but its not for everyone, my advise would be to rent your house out so you don't lose everything we did and luckilly we still have a home to go back to we are going home in August and I really can't wait my husband has secured a job that he starts september and we will get our lives back the one I didn't appreciate before I came here.I really wish you all the best of luck and Im not saying you will have the same experience but jsut wanted you to have a view of both sides of the coin :wubclub:

Just be very careful about thinking there are lots of jobs here for tradies. I meet a lot and have a beer with a fair few and all are reporting things are very slow. Nearly all here are self employed / casual and most are finding they are getting only 3 days of work a week at best.

As for if oz is a better place or not to live is very dependent on the individual. For some it is, for some it's not.

We have been dipping into our savings over the past few years as we have a young family so I am home with the kids as it was too expensive for me to go back to my menial job. Hubby is a joiner and has been paid off countless times over past 5 years and his current contract comes to an end at the end of this year. Our visas expire end of next year but to even get to Oz it will take most of our life savings and the rest will be spent funding the first 6 months over there in the hopes that hubby gets a decent job and we can afford to live.

Is it worth it? I don't really know what the alternative is tho.... stay here and watch the work dry up spending our savings on the mortgage/food/bills then running out of money here anyways.... AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!

AM HAVINGA CRISIS TODAY! Too much time to think.... :sad:

If I was in your position I would risk the trip. What's the alternative? Like you say, sit there worrying and not enjoying it, putting stress and unhappiness on averyone and then running out of money anyway. You don't seem to have anything to lose and a lot to gain.

All the best.

he didn't.............he went back................if he was ever here

There's a Perth in North Dakota...maybe he was there?

Like the British couple who landed in Sydney, Nova Scotia, thinking they were going to Sydney, Australia.:wacko:

Good luck but whether it s better for kids in the uk as many variables, I would rather bring my kids up in the uk but then again we are all different, better start your own business if you can in oz Khama because they do expect you to work your nuts off in oz for decent money, that's the building trade mind you....good luck.

I work my nuts off for my money here in England so no worries there..... I dont mind hard work.

heard this on the news this morning http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9326790/London-most-expensive-city-for-night-out.html

I wouldnt have thought it would cost more than say 20,000 GBP to move to Australia at the most right.................. that is not a massive amount of money, and I would not give up a chance at a new life in Oz for it... if you offered me 20,000 right now or a visa I would take the visa and have $100 in my bank account no questions asked....

I work my nuts off for my money here in England so no worries there..... I dont mind hard work.

heard this on the news this morning http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9326790/London-most-expensive-city-for-night-out.html

That is going to surprise a few people. Wait for all the denials and the sworn affidivits that just about any major City in Aus is more expensive than London.

That is going to surprise a few people. Wait for all the denials and the sworn affidivits that just about any major City in Aus is more expensive than London.

Yes, but that only relates to a night out. A tin of beans is cheaper in London.................apparently....................and besides, the sausages are better there. :wink:

Guest Ptp113
Yes, but that only relates to a night out. A tin of beans is cheaper in London.................apparently....................and besides, the sausages are better there. :wink:

Sausages equally as good here, but you have to look for 'em.

We have been dipping into our savings over the past few years as we have a young family so I am home with the kids as it was too expensive for me to go back to my menial job. Hubby is a joiner and has been paid off countless times over past 5 years and his current contract comes to an end at the end of this year. Our visas expire end of next year but to even get to Oz it will take most of our life savings and the rest will be spent funding the first 6 months over there in the hopes that hubby gets a decent job and we can afford to live.

Is it worth it? I don't really know what the alternative is tho.... stay here and watch the work dry up spending our savings on the mortgage/food/bills then running out of money here anyways.... AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!

AM HAVINGA CRISIS TODAY! Too much time to think.... :sad:

My only advice is that if you do come - find out where the work is and move there.

No one can really offer you advice on this, for some its the best thing they have ever done, for others it has become i nightmare that they are trapped in. Most seem to get on just fine.

All I would say, is do lots of research, don't be blinded by the sun and the beach. And the "great life you will have". You will still be the same couple , but with different surroundings. All the mundane jobs still have to be done.

YOu can stay with what you know , or try something new. Personally I dont think you can ever regret trying something else. You can go back, and what are savings for other than doing those things out of the ordinary.

Perth is expensive....... we like you have an amount of money, and the choice has been stay here, watch hubby have more paycuts (two in the last year), trickle away the savings on household bills, and no improvement to lives, stay in each weekend in the pouring rain, or use the money for a life change, we have chosen option two and cant wait, yes we have the luxury of only one visa required, yes we have the luxury of family in perth, but we are still a family unit and will be moving andliving as one, we have sat and worked out what hubby could earn, what our rent would be, all the bills, savings money, etc etc, and added 20% on top for emergencies. NO ONE can comment really on if its a good idea or bad idea. For us its a great idea, we know how we live and what we currently spend on stuff, we also know what it costs in perth. Our expectations are not high for the move, we are not expecting huge wages, a mansion by the sea, or meals out every day, we are expecting days out with picnics, working hard, paying bills, and giving the children a great chance to experience a new country (to them). The weather originaly was a major pull in our decision, however now after much thinking, and researching other things are pulling the move to australia for us. We will be leaving close family here in the uk, however still want to go ahead. I wish you all the luck in the world i really do, just make sure its for the right reasons, and not for the easy option of running away from one problem to another. The move if you decide will be what you make it. we are going with low expectations and will be renting and paying as little as we can, knowing we can improve and upgrade when we feel comfortable in doing so

Essential I would have thought to check it out first. Especially if resources are limited. As someone mentioned the main bread winner should perhaps come and see what gives. Nobody knows what the situation may look like a year from now in this fast changing world.

If one can secure work all well and good then others can follow. Some don't find it as easy as expected.

Edited by flag of convenience