Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

We have been dipping into our savings over the past few years as we have a young family so I am home with the kids as it was too expensive for me to go back to my menial job. Hubby is a joiner and has been paid off countless times over past 5 years and his current contract comes to an end at the end of this year. Our visas expire end of next year but to even get to Oz it will take most of our life savings and the rest will be spent funding the first 6 months over there in the hopes that hubby gets a decent job and we can afford to live.

Is it worth it? I don't really know what the alternative is tho.... stay here and watch the work dry up spending our savings on the mortgage/food/bills then running out of money here anyways.... AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!

AM HAVINGA CRISIS TODAY! Too much time to think.... :sad:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted in the other thread about considering your hubby going over before to seek work and once he has that to find a temp place for you all to live. Might be worth considering. He can stay in a hostel cheap enough till he finds work and so on. I'd look into that. It gives you options and the knowledge that you can make the move once he has work. Then it won't be such a leap of faith.

End of the day, its a leap into the unknown making the move to Aus. Will you be better off in the long run there? Maybe, maybe not. You said in the other thread you are a planner, so this sort of thing is going to be hard to just get up and do. You've children to consider also. I'd defo look into your hubby heading over beforehand as if it doesn't work out its only one airfare and so on to find. And if it does work out, perhaps just let the mortgage company have the house and start over in Aus once things settle down out there.

I would say spend the money and get to Australia ! My partner is paid peanuts over here at the moment but will earn a decent salary in oz !! Same story for me..... if you are a tradie in Australia you have a real chance of making good money if your prepared to work for it.....

Take the risk, you will regret not doing so for a very long time if you stay in GLasgow .

Money is certainly not a great reason to not give it a go.... IMHO

Your kids will have a vastly different life depending on your choice, dont be scared, be brave..... dont know about Glasgow but the UK has a school culture of "its not cool to do well in school"

You could afford to send your kids to amazing schools in Australia if you both worked hard for it.... thats what its all about when you decide to have kids, no.... ?

Go MOVE TO AUSTRALIA PLEASE :)

I would say spend the money and get to Australia ! My partner is paid peanuts over here at the moment but will earn a decent salary in oz !! Same story for me..... if you are a tradie in Australia you have a real chance of making good money if your prepared to work for it.....

Take the risk, you will regret not doing so for a very long time if you stay in GLasgow .

Your kids will have a vastly different life depending on your choice, dont be scared, be brave..... dont know about Glasgow but the UK has a school culture of "its not cool to do well in school"

You could afford to send your kids to amazing schools in Australia if you both worked hard for it.... thats what its all about when you decide to have kids, no.... ?

Don't mean to be rude but have you been over to Australia, do you really know what it's like here being a tradie, do you know for a fact that there's loads of work here ????????? We're here, my husband has always worked hard and hasn't been out of work for over 30 years in the UK wish I could say the same about being here.

Yes come and validate your visa's and see what it's like before you give everything up I wish we had.

I don't want this post to be negative, I'm also a planner and I planned for every eventuality, or so I thought, but you don't truly know what it's like until you are here.

Don't mean to be rude but have you been over to Australia, do you really know what it's like here being a tradie, do you know for a fact that there's loads of work here ????????? We're here, my husband has always worked hard and hasn't been out of work for over 30 years in the UK wish I could say the same about being here.

Yes come and validate your visa's and see what it's like before you give everything up I wish we had.

I don't want this post to be negative, I'm also a planner and I planned for every eventuality, or so I thought, but you don't truly know what it's like until you are here.

yeap been back in the UK for a year now but heading back to QLD soon..... sorry have not been to WA so i have no clue .

My brother in law has his own business in Brisbane and filled me in on certain things... sorry to hear your struggling I hope things pick up soon for you.

I guess it all depends what trade your in.... would imagine that there is lots of work for a skilled hardworking carpenter...

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=carpenter&nation=3000

yeap been back in the UK for a year now but heading back to QLD soon..... sorry have not been to WA so i have no clue .

My brother in law has his own business in Brisbane and filled me in on certain things... sorry to hear your struggling I hope things pick up soon for you.

I guess it all depends what trade your in.... would imagine that there is lots of work for a skilled hardworking carpenter...

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=carpenter&nation=3000

It was getting tight for work as a chip pie when I was there, heard it is getting worse.

Have you lived and worked in oz?

Have you lived and worked in oz?

I have.......... on a whv... :D don't think that devalues what I have posted though.....

I have friends in Glasgow and I have Australian friends..... I know where I would choose, just based on that alone, never mind the hours and hours of research I have done...

I'm giving up my business to move to Australia, have not worked for someone else for many many years !!!! that is not easy.. Moving to Australia for many reasons, not purely based on money. I make good money here in the UK..

Long term im hoping to be better off in Oz, and if I had children there would be absolutely no question in my mind.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

There seems as many returning to Australia as there is coming back to the UK, from Australia, the numbers have increased here on PIO over recent months, best of luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It's a small price to pay to live in the best country on earth!

Your right mate, Australia has just been voted the best country to live in, in the world in 2012, i think the uk came in 35th position, which still isn't bad, best of luck.

I have.......... on a whv... :D don't think that devalues what I have posted though.....

I have friends in Glasgow and I have Australian friends..... I know where I would choose, just based on that alone, never mind the hours and hours of research I have done...

I'm giving up my business to move to Australia, have not worked for someone else for many many years !!!! that is not easy.. Moving to Australia for many reasons, not purely based on money. I make good money here in the UK..

Long term im hoping to be better off in Oz, and if I had children there would be absolutely no question in my mind.

Good luck but whether it s better for kids in the uk as many variables, I would rather bring my kids up in the uk but then again we are all different, better start your own business if you can in oz Khama because they do expect you to work your nuts off in oz for decent money, that's the building trade mind you....good luck.

Good luck but whether it s better for kids in the uk as many variables, I would rather bring my kids up in the uk but then again we are all different, better start your own business if you can in oz Khama because they do expect you to work your nuts off in oz for decent money, that's the building trade mind you....good luck.

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace , note the name , is wanting to move to Australia, not Italy Germany then the uk, WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace , again note the name, is feeling naturally daunted by the big decision... I was simply trying to offer support, based on facts I have gathered..

(edit to keep the peace ).... its all good... much love..

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."

Edited by jhampa

Guest The Ropey HOFF
ill let you know how its all going as im heading out to the great barrier reef for a few hours of scuba diving or snorkeling .....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14798[/ATTACH]

P.S hijack over.... hope someone else gives you some usefull advice WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace :)

WOWEEEEEEWOW, Gimme, gimme, gimme ... Some of that, lol.

thanks so much! That link is great - I needed to know what to enter in the job field so that is going further than I had hoped! Fab

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We have been dipping into our savings over the past few years as we have a young family so I am home with the kids as it was too expensive for me to go back to my menial job. Hubby is a joiner and has been paid off countless times over past 5 years and his current contract comes to an end at the end of this year. Our visas expire end of next year but to even get to Oz it will take most of our life savings and the rest will be spent funding the first 6 months over there in the hopes that hubby gets a decent job and we can afford to live.

Is it worth it? I don't really know what the alternative is tho.... stay here and watch the work dry up spending our savings on the mortgage/food/bills then running out of money here anyways.... AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!

AM HAVINGA CRISIS TODAY! Too much time to think.... :sad:

There looks little sign of recovery in the UK, so you can be confident that your savings will be spent on tiding you over, or you can give Australia a go, Perth has incredibly low unemployment at 3.8% which is almost three times lower than most of the Uk, make sure you do your research though, find areas where there's plenty of work for your hubby. Best of luck, I don't think you have a lot to lose, but you definitely have a lot to gain.

Spend your life savings going to Australia - nope.

Australia is not a good place to be poor in.

Would rather be poor in Australia than in the UK, especially in winter...Come to that, in "summer", as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

I think you will find this attitude can be found everywhere, Australia included. I grew up in New Zealand and this was often implied there too. A lot of teenagers I see in The UK seem very driven and focused, with a great many opportunities available to them which may not be available in other countries.

I am not convinced Aus is than UK for growing children and older but I am willing to give it a try and then make judgement on it

DO IT,DO IT,DO IT!!!! Im a carpenter aswell in the u.k hoping to move to perth around october when our visas come through.The construction industry in the uk is not good at the minute and its only gonna get worse,ive got plenty of work here but the prices are getting tighter and tighter! its going back in time as i was earning more 6/7 years ago than i do now and working harder for it. also with the cost of living going up and fuel prices its a no brainer for me. A good mate of mine who is also a chippy emigrated to perth about 7 years ago and has never looked back! he has a great life and would never swap it. i spoke to him just the other day and he still says even tho it has slowed down a bit out there,there is still loads of work and he is earning top dollar and when we compared our earnings and costs of living he is far better of than me and to top it off living in a gorgeous part of the world and thats coming from the horses mouth!! in my opinion you would be mad not to give it a go:yes: