Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ptp113
We spent our life savings getting to Perth and less than 6 months later we are going back. Bored is not the word. I had more exciting times on a wet, miserable day in the UK. I think I have dont most of the tourist attractions now... If you are being tempted by the beach then you need to consider how often you would actually go there and that also needs to take into account whether or not you would be able to secure a rental in your desired location. School, work, appointments, it all still has to go on regardless of the weather. You have to ensure you know what your aims are. If you are tempted by the sun then yep that worked for us too until we had quite a number of days where it was just too hot to go outside.

If you have the money to come out first to explore and check out the job situ - where unemployment in Perth is currently 5.1% and not 3.whatever quoted earlier (it was reivsed up the way in May from an expected 5.0%) - then that would be a better idea.

I know there is lots of people who talk up Oz due to their positive experiences and that is their right but for some of us it is FAR from positive for many reasons and you just need to bear in mind that if you are to give it balanced consideration.

If you had done some research you would have known Perth can be boring, and is isolated and expensive. Still don't understand why a pom wakes up one day and decides "Let's move to the most isolated part of the most isolated nation on the planet". Kinda weird that.......

Guest Ptp113
We spent our life savings getting to Perth and less than 6 months later we are going back. Bored is not the word. I had more exciting times on a wet, miserable day in the UK. I think I have dont most of the tourist attractions now... If you are being tempted by the beach then you need to consider how often you would actually go there and that also needs to take into account whether or not you would be able to secure a rental in your desired location. School, work, appointments, it all still has to go on regardless of the weather. You have to ensure you know what your aims are. If you are tempted by the sun then yep that worked for us too until we had quite a number of days where it was just too hot to go outside.

If you have the money to come out first to explore and check out the job situ - where unemployment in Perth is currently 5.1% and not 3.whatever quoted earlier (it was reivsed up the way in May from an expected 5.0%) - then that would be a better idea.

I know there is lots of people who talk up Oz due to their positive experiences and that is their right but for some of us it is FAR from positive for many reasons and you just need to bear in mind that if you are to give it balanced consideration.

Name one thing you can do in the U.K you can't do in Australia re the boredom bit?

OK you know what come ........ dont take my word for it just come and see for yourselves , I have NO vested interest in lieing about any of this .

You may not have a vested interest.................but you are definitely in denial of certain facts. Earlier you inferred that some posters on this thread are liars and now you are stating that you don't lie..............the fact is, that you are, or at the very least ignorant/in denial of how others live here. Perhaps you don't take a bottle of wine to the beach, but I can assure you, that on any given day, less than 5 minutes from where I live, there will be many families sitting on the promenade/beach with a picnic and a bottle of wine.............lunch...............dinner...................and yes, at weekends, they're even down there at 6 in the morning, setting up under the shaded barbeques for an all-day family get together, myself included.

We are looking to moving to Perth and we may have to sell the house. Russ works for the NHS are they are shutting a lot of wards and he has had to go down a grade to find work, we plain to go to Oz on an employer sponsor visa, would not do it without having a job to go to.

Then make yourself aware that many benefits afforded to other visas are not affordable to 457 visas and the cash that you will dip out on (rent rebate, having to pay school fees etc) may well be the difference between you surviving here or not..............if you are cashed up, then the security of a job on arrival may be more beneficial to you but most folk (nurses) on 457's that I have met wished that they had come here on a 175/6 as there was no shortage of work on their arrival and they could have "pick and choose"

Scotland beats NZ hands down for stunning scenery also.

Have you been to NZ? I have, and as much as I love and miss Scotland, there is no comparison............NZ is much more "majestic" and diverse. Where did you visit in order to draw comparison...............if you have visited?

Guest Ptp113
:mask: <---- me in stealth mod mode

Pssssssssssst

This thread has rambled off topic a few times but it'd be nice to try to get back to it or at least to stay on it a bit more :)

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Apologies

Guest Guest16631
We have been dipping into our savings over the past few years as we have a young family so I am home with the kids as it was too expensive for me to go back to my menial job. Hubby is a joiner and has been paid off countless times over past 5 years and his current contract comes to an end at the end of this year. Our visas expire end of next year but to even get to Oz it will take most of our life savings and the rest will be spent funding the first 6 months over there in the hopes that hubby gets a decent job and we can afford to live.

Is it worth it? I don't really know what the alternative is tho.... stay here and watch the work dry up spending our savings on the mortgage/food/bills then running out of money here anyways.... AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!

AM HAVINGA CRISIS TODAY! Too much time to think.... :sad:

..................at the end of the day only you can decide.................most people migrate to live better than they do now................a better lifestyle..........job............prospects for their children .....

.................but often to obtain some of these things ............others that we hold dear are sacrificed........the safety net of close family and friends in times of need..............familiarity of place and culture.............

..................there is more to do for free in Australia..........much available because of the weather..(can only speak for qld) ................the beaches have their bar b que areas,clean play parks........,but blackpool its not..........no pier with a hive of candy floss machines........dodgem cars and the atmosphere with it..........love it or hate it...............there are ample rainforest walks........amazing wildlife...........but it's not Sher wood forest with its history of Robin Hood and his merry men................a home ....job ...food...schools ...........are all needs................the rest are what makes life interesting.............life....STYLE..............many can sing the praises of the beautiful and diverse place Australia is.................but at the end of the day.............it's if it can full fill the .....needs..........the rest is up to your determination to accept the dIfferences and enjoy them.............integrate ( don't have to loose your identity).............I wish you and your family all the best ..........whatever you decide.............tink x

Be careful, it's not all as brilliant as what people say and it's very hard after you have used your money and then have to survive on one pay! Been here 2.5 years and now saving up to go back! A lot of stress, heart felt pain and people and systems that are way way behind the UK. Left UK for a new life but it's been more of a struggle than life every was in the UK......

Speaking of sweeping statements?????

OK im done here , lived in yorkshire for 18 years and it is a beautiful county , also lived in cornwall and london. Yes I did travel .

Most people here do exactly the same only there are few decent pubs where you can actually take your family.

Few people ( on a regular baisis) go to the beach with a bottle of win and fish and chips ..... come on you are painting an unrealistic picture.

I think Australia is a great place for some but please tell it like it is ....

OK telling it like it is. I lived in Derbyshire and Lancashire all my life, on either side of the snake pass. Yes, gorgeous countryside within a stones throw BUT if you somehow manage to get nice weather and you try to head up there it felt like half the UK had the same idea and after sitting in traffic jams for half the day you finally arrive at where you thought would be nice to find that there's nowhere to park, the place is overrun by all the other visitors, you go in a cafe with kids and they don't want you in there too long taking a table up that someone without kids might come and spend more money.

I see your comments about the diversity of Europe and the ability to get the 20 quid flights. How many people actually do this on a whim though? You still only get 4 weeks a year off and most people I know still in the UK are doing exactly the same as we used to. Have your couple of weeks in Spain, Portugal, Greece for guaranteed sun and spend the rest of the year saving up for the next time you can get away.

Living here we already live in a better place than we would be paying to get to from the UK. We live 10 mins walk away from a glorious beach and spend lots of time down there. We know heaps of people who go down and watch the sunset in one of the numerous parks along the coast. To be honest the Friday night and weekend pub culture is nothing like the UK. Maybe because there aren't as many pubs and maybe because there are other things to do. I certainly don't buy the thing being able to take the family to the pub. Fridays was a strictly guys out with their mates and girls the same kind of atmosphere. Not for taking out the family. I wouldn't want to be taking my kids to a pub anyway.

So I don't think it was an unrealistic picture of Oz. It's available and can be done without it being expensive either. Not to say everyone will like it, I know some people who don't like the beach one bit and couldn't be bothered taking the family there with a bottle of wine to see the sunset, they would rather sit in the house watching soccer on foxtel. But to say it's an unrealistic picture is just not realistic.

Guest Ptp113
OK telling it like it is. I lived in Derbyshire and Lancashire all my life, on either side of the snake pass. Yes, gorgeous countryside within a stones throw BUT if you somehow manage to get nice weather and you try to head up there it felt like half the UK had the same idea and after sitting in traffic jams for half the day you finally arrive at where you thought would be nice to find that there's nowhere to park, the place is overrun by all the other visitors, you go in a cafe with kids and they don't want you in there too long taking a table up that someone without kids might come and spend more money.

I see your comments about the diversity of Europe and the ability to get the 20 quid flights. How many people actually do this on a whim though? You still only get 4 weeks a year off and most people I know still in the UK are doing exactly the same as we used to. Have your couple of weeks in Spain, Portugal, Greece for guaranteed sun and spend the rest of the year saving up for the next time you can get away.

Living here we already live in a better place than we would be paying to get to from the UK. We live 10 mins walk away from a glorious beach and spend lots of time down there. We know heaps of people who go down and watch the sunset in one of the numerous parks along the coast. To be honest the Friday night and weekend pub culture is nothing like the UK. Maybe because there aren't as many pubs and maybe because there are other things to do. I certainly don't buy the thing being able to take the family to the pub. Fridays was a strictly guys out with their mates and girls the same kind of atmosphere. Not for taking out the family. I wouldn't want to be taking my kids to a pub anyway.

So I don't think it was an unrealistic picture of Oz. It's available and can be done without it being expensive either. Not to say everyone will like it, I know some people who don't like the beach one bit and couldn't be bothered taking the family there with a bottle of wine to see the sunset, they would rather sit in the house watching soccer on foxtel. But to say it's an unrealistic picture is just not realistic.

Watching girlie ball on Foxtel. Can't be a sadder way to waste your life than that imo.

I know some people who don't like the beach one bit and couldn't be bothered taking the family there with a bottle of wine to see the sunset, they would rather sit in the house watching soccer on foxtel. But to say it's an unrealistic picture is just not realistic.

They are the same types that you see in Spain spending every waking moment of their holidays in an English or Irish pub, drinking the same beer as home & watching only fools & horses while they wait for the soccer to start on sky sports.

Those are the type I think are far more likely to not like Aus(or anywhere else) & go back to the UK.

They are the same types that you see in Spain spending every waking moment of their holidays in an English or Irish pub, drinking the same beer as home & watching only fools & horses while they wait for the soccer to start on sky sports.

Those are the type I think are far more likely to not like Aus(or anywhere else) & go back to the UK.

:laugh: Statements like this crack me up!!

:laugh: Statements like this crack me up!!

Why's that cartertucker? Haven't you ever seen those types over in Spain? Didn't you watch Benidorm? We watched the first couple of episodes and then it stopped being funny and just seeming sad and a little too close to the truth.

I've only been here six months and I'm hoping to return to the UK in four months. For reasons personal to me and my family it hasn't worked out, and we are gutted about it but I certainly wouldn't say I was one of those 'types'. In fact I find it quite hurtful that people can make that assumption about me, we all have our own story to tell. Its comments like this that could make me and my family feel like a failure if we allowed it to get to us. It's comments like this why I don't respond to genuine questions from genuine posts who are simply trying to hear both sides of the story.

In answer to the original question, only you can decide whether the move will work for you. Be sure you're not just running away from the Uk and Australia offers you what you are after, not just money. There are lots of people for whom the move has been the best thing they have done, but it really will come down to you and your family and what suits you and where offers you a better life. Good luck, it's a tough decision and we're all only trying to do the best for our family :-)

Why's that cartertucker? Haven't you ever seen those types over in Spain? Didn't you watch Benidorm? We watched the first couple of episodes and then it stopped being funny and just seeming sad and a little too close to the truth.

Nope, cant say I have, never been to spain & dont watch 'benidorm'.... :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
I've only been here six months and I'm hoping to return to the UK in four months. For reasons personal to me and my family it hasn't worked out, and we are gutted about it but I certainly wouldn't say I was one of those 'types'. In fact I find it quite hurtful that people can make that assumption about me, we all have our own story to tell. Its comments like this that could make me and my family feel like a failure if we allowed it to get to us. It's comments like this why I don't respond to genuine questions from genuine posts who are simply trying to hear both sides of the story.

In answer to the original question, only you can decide whether the move will work for you. Be sure you're not just running away from the Uk and Australia offers you what you are after, not just money. There are lots of people for whom the move has been the best thing they have done, but it really will come down to you and your family and what suits you and where offers you a better life. Good luck, it's a tough decision and we're all only trying to do the best for our family :-)

You are NOT a failure and don't ever think that. You need to do what is right for YOU and YOUR family not some member on here who has a bee in his bonnet.

Guest Guest16631

....a little off topic ..apologies to OP............but I

loved Benidorm the TV program.............I didn't find it sad.................sometimes the two weeks of a ......Benidorm.......are all some need or want.............the concentrated......pack it all into two weeks are what makes the holiday............the taking your lifestyle ,English beer,English food,and often English attitude .......to a place in the sun that is accepting of this...........is the ideal holiday.............some don't want to give up the lifestyle ..........characterised ...on tv...........and it's not that they ......fail....to like Australia............they like what they have and are .......lured by unrealistic expectations............Australia never was .....nor ever will be...........Britain........in any shape or form ...IMO....sometimes we don't appreciate what we had till its gone...........it takes all sorts to make the world go round............

Guest The Pom Queen

So now YOU are generalising that everyone who goes to Spain act like those from the TV show Benidorm :no:

Thank you M2M, thankfully we see ourselves as successfully trying to improve our future, but as Tink says, we didn't realise what we had until it had gone. So, we are returning to the Uk to continue our successful future, just in another country!

But there are members on here who simply want both sides of the story or know they are not the only one out there who feels the way they do and it's not nice to be judged in this way.

Then make yourself aware that many benefits afforded to other visas are not affordable to 457 visas and the cash that you will dip out on (rent rebate, having to pay school fees etc) may well be the difference between you surviving here or not..............if you are cashed up, then the security of a job on arrival may be more beneficial to you but most folk (nurses) on 457's that I have met wished that they had come here on a 175/6 as there was no shortage of work on their arrival and they could have "pick and choose"

Come July we will be look at what visa's are available for us and see what benefit comes with them but thank you for the heads up, I hadn't thought about that side of the visa.

I knew what I said would be taken the wrong way & personally by some on here. For the record, I am not saying that people who return to the UK are the 'type' I described in my previous post. What I am actually saying is that people that are the 'type' I described in my prvious post are not likely to settle in any new country.

Some people on this site are so precious & jump to the conclusion that posts are about them when clearly they are not. Some people seem to go out of their way to get offended by posts on here.

Of course you have to do what is best for your family & your hapiness & what suits your own personal circumstances. Otherwise none of us would ever move anywhere.

Edited by BrisDubBris