The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

Guest Bobby
But you said here that the people you know are just the same:unsure:

They are and I also said that for many their standard of living has gone down, just because the people I know are doing OK I do realkise that some people are suffering.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shark

bobby you will suffer when thousands of front line staff are given the boot , less nurses ,in our hospitals and less police , on our street ,not looking to good

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its the tip of the iceburg sharky.:unsure:

Like Andy i am doing really well, but alot of people are really feeling the pinch.

May I ask a question and say :

How many of you who are still in the UK intend to make a move out to Oz ?

If thee answer is your staying in the UK then why are u on a migration web site? Its not a criticism its just an observation ...

Hi loubeany - I am one of the people you refer to. I have family in WA, visit fairly regularly and, while not looking to move to Australia myself, have loved nearly every minute of our time spent there to date (the storm we experienced last year is another story......!).

I stumbled across PIO some six months or more before I plucked up the courage to make my first post. In that time I was drawn in by both the banter and the real major issues that people were dealing with. I am still not sure whether I qualify to post, but as some-one that has successfully relocated within the UK I thought I might be able to offer another view on things here ....one that might possibly be useful to people thinking of returning (but am feeling a bit insecure now!!!)

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi loubeany - I am one of the people you refer to. I have family in WA, visit fairly regularly and, while not looking to move to Australia myself, have loved nearly every minute of our time spent there to date (the storm we experienced last year is another story......!).

I stumbled across PIO some six months or more before I plucked up the courage to make my first post. In that time I was drawn in by both the banter and the real major issues that people were dealing with. I am still not sure whether I qualify to post, but as some-one that has successfully relocated within the UK I thought I might be able to offer another view on things here ....one that might possibly be useful to people thinking of returning (but am feeling a bit insecure now!!!)

There are a few returnees who post on PIO and they are very helpful, Dawny is a prime example, non confrontational, honest, doesn't put Australia down.

There are over 40,000 people on PIO looking at finding a new life in Australia and we all want to here about truthful non-biased things that aren't so great about OZ as well as hearing about how good it is, but................. the same few constantly do it down and they need to move on.

Hey there ... No please don't feel insecure didn't mean to be rude or anything it was just a question and clearly you have been to Oz and have some useful things to say about the place ... I think sometimes I read the posts on here and think "why oh why are you migrating with an attitude like that!!!"

I know everyone is different and agree after reading Dawns posts about returning to UK that she has posted non biased opinions about both countries and she clearly has her reasons for coming back home. I personally see our move to Oz as a positive adventure and am looking at it exactly like that! It may not be forever .. then again it might just be but one things for sure I LEAVE THE UK SOON AND I WILL BE SAD TO LEAVE BUT HAPPY TO GREET A NEW COUNTRY JUST AS MUCH!!! The UK is a wonderful country of diverse and facinating histories that make it what it is... I for one will only speak of Britain in an affectionate way when in Oz and never ever break the roots and ties that have eternally bound me to the shores of Gran Britannia. Australia here I come ... lets see what delights you have to offer this girl????? :hug::hug:

Here's a good example of a problem with the uk

Not all having a hard time it seems:no:

Militant union boss lives in home ‘for low-income families’ - despite SIX FIGURE salary package

article-1372872-0CFC43D5000005DC-328_233x423.jpg Loathed: Rail union leader Bob Crow has been called the 'most hated man in London'

Militant union boss Bob Crow lives in a housing association home aimed at low-income families, despite enjoying a six-figure salary package.

The head of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) is widely regarded as the most hardline union leader in the country, and has been dubbed the 'most hated man in London' because of the regularity of his organisation's strikes and his lack of concern for travellers.

The union baron's soaring pay has seen accusations that he is 'more interested in feathering his own nest' than working to create an efficient railway - and today The Sunday Times estimated his family has saved up to around £80,000 in rent over the years by living in cheaper social housing.

The paper said local estate agents would rent the three-bedroom end of terrace house in Woodford Green, north London for some £300 a week in the private sector.

However, based on the cost to other housing association tenants, Mr Crow's rent for the L&Q housing association property is estimated at half that - around £150 a week.

That means, since he and partner Nicola Hoarau moved in with their children in 2001, the family could have saved £78,000 at current prices.

Neighbours told the paper 'he shouldn't be in there' and 'it hardly seems fair'.

Tory housing minister Grant Shapps said: 'With nearly 5m vulnerable people languishing on housing waiting lists, I would have thought a highly paid union baron would feel somewhat awkward taking advantage of publicly subsidised housing.

The housing association's website states: 'Most families are on low incomes and usually come to us from the local council lists of those who need housing.'

But L&Q, which started with the aim of providing 'quality housing for people in housing need', told the paper: 'The household income details of all those living in social housing may change after they are allocated a property.

'Such changes do not affect security of tenure or constitute a breach of a tenancy agreement.'

article-1372872-0BE3BD88000005DC-468_468x286.jpg Fraught: Commuters struggle to work at Kings Cross during a rail strike

Last year, the Daily Mail revealed that Mr Crow had been given a 12 per cent pay rise, despite the cuts and wage freezes affecting many in the public sector.

His basic pay rose to £94,747 at the end of 2009, according to figures from the union, and his overall pay package rose from £122,167 to £133,183.

On top, he claimed nearly £10,000 in expenses and more than £2,000 in travel costs, taking total income to £145,548.

He has previously infuriated commuters with his lack of concern for the travelling public, claiming he is 'not one of those union officials who continually say they regret inconvenience caused by industrial action'.

Oink Oink springs to mind

Guest peacock
bobby you will suffer when thousands of front line staff are given the boot , less nurses ,in our hospitals and less police , on our street ,not looking to good

I dont think it has dawned on people how serious and dire the situation in the UK is

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I dont think it has dawned on people how serious and dire the situation in the UK is

They say the coming year will see less nurses, police, teachers, soldiers, council workers etc doing important jobs and services will be hit and as i have said its the tip of the iceburg, already councils have closed so many ammeneties, libraries, swimming pools, help centres etc.

Big society............. warra a load of old sh**:mad:

Guest peacock
They say the coming year will see less nurses, police, teachers, soldiers, council workers etc doing important jobs and services will be hit and as i have said its the tip of the iceburg, already councils have closed so many ammeneties, libraries, swimming pools, help centres etc.

Big society............. warra a load of old sh**:mad:

Have all the Chavs and pond life agreed to behave themselves :daydreaming: or they now have free reign to commit havoc and destruction on a scale never been seen before ?

For most its atleast 3 generations of being spoilt, would't know hard times if it bit um on the bum and now totally unprepared for it.

Really glad now i had a strict up bringing and listened to my parents and grand parents

advise, particually with money.

If you want something save up for it untill you can afford it instead of borrowing, live within your means and save money for a rainy day,because there will be rainy days, values that have long been lost i'm afraid.

I left the UK 9 months ago and until I left the country I worked for the civil service for a well known employment law advice helpline and I can catagorically state that the Redundancy calls were THE worse that they had EVER received. This is fact not fiction. The calls were from both employees and employers needing help to either close the company or to drastically reduce the staff or employees being told they have no work for 13 weeks as they were being laid off. Now this does NOT include the companies applying for liquidation or insolvency thats many thousands more. Believe me when you are taking 70 plus calls per day from poor bu**ers being told not to come to work tomorrow and by the way you can kiss your redundancy goodbye as we are insolvent, it does kind of open your eyes to what is happening in the UK :wideeyed:.

You are correct, i have bought a house in Bucks and can afford to go to oz for a month as well, this is because i have worked very hard over the last 20 years and managed to buy and sell a couple of houses and build live in and sell another, and i have saved as well. Having said all of the above i am not purly seeing things all from my point of view, i know people who are living on the breadline and cannot afford anything except the bear essentials, also you will know as well as me their are people on pio that are also in the same position, who work but just see their income depeleted every week by greedy companies who can see nothing but pound signs and a government that is willing to stand by and watch. So in essence i am not looking at the situation just from my eyes as that would be incredibly selfish i am trying to look at it from people who are less well off than me, but maybe i should look at it just from my position and **** all the others:nah:

Fair play to you, and I have no doubt that you have worked really hard for what you have achieved. What I was trying to say was that a lot of the posts on this forum seem to say that "everybody" or "others" are really struggling, job cuts and redundances left, right and centre, going for holidays a no go, just general every day struggle. But I can honestly and hands on my heart say that, all our family and friends back home have good jobs (some have just been offered really good jobs), going on their usual holidays, my BIL and family just moved from their 3 bedroomed terraced to a 4 bedroom detached house, and basically their life is exactly the same as it was when we left 3 years ago.

Guest Bobby

You keep on posting duck, there are a few on here who just love to post any negative about the UK they can find, they say it has been -27 for 9 months when we all know they are telling porkies and that it does not stop raining when infact we have had the driest spell in the South of the UK since records began. :cute:

Guest Bobby

the media blow it all out of proportion mate, we in the UK have always had a glass half empty unlike the folk in Oz who have it half full.

the harsh winter caused the dip in the last few months but analysts are seeing the buds og growth appearing.

quote.

he Office for National Statistics' latest estimate of activity in the service sector – comprising some 75 per cent of the economy – shows a 1.3 per cent rise in output in January, having fallen 1.1 per cent in December – a "bounce back" from the effects of the snow and cold weather in winter. Some of the sectors hardest hit by the snows, such as hotels, restaurants and distribution, saw a rebound in output less than the decline seen in December, which some economists believe means that the "bounce back" will sustain into February. Others, though, point to downbeat signals in surveys of business sentiment from the Chartered Institute for Purchasing and Supply and the Bank of England.

Coupled with much faster growth in manufacturing, analysts say that the available evidence across the economy so far may indicate a growth rate for first quarter GDP as high as 0.8 per cent, or 3.2 per cent on an annualised basis. This would more than correct the 0.5 per cent contraction in the last quarter of 2010

U.K. Economy Shows Signs of Stress - WSJ.com

(your quote)...Although that is now seen as too trivial to help.

Household post-tax income fell by 0.8pc in 2010.

British workers' take-home pay fell in 2010 in the first annual decline since 1981.

1st quarter results are in at end of April. We could be in official recession.

The only positive growth came from govt spending which is in the process of being reversed.

You can be as positive as you like, but the possibility of a double dip is there, and the buds of growth are not!

Guest Bobby
U.K. Economy Shows Signs of Stress - WSJ.com

(your quote)...Although that is now seen as too trivial to help.

Household post-tax income fell by 0.8pc in 2010.

British workers' take-home pay fell in 2010 in the first annual decline since 1981.

1st quarter results are in at end of April. We could be in official recession.

The only positive growth came from govt spending which is in the process of being reversed.

You can be as positive as you like, but the possibility of a double dip is there, and the buds of growth are not!

Won't be a double dip and the more the media and people talk the UK down the worse it seems, the UK will come out of this as it has done over the decades...strong.

I left the UK 9 months ago and until I left the country I worked for the civil service for a well known employment law advice helpline and I can catagorically state that the Redundancy calls were THE worse that they had EVER received. This is fact not fiction. The calls were from both employees and employers needing help to either close the company or to drastically reduce the staff or employees being told they have no work for 13 weeks as they were being laid off. Now this does NOT include the companies applying for liquidation or insolvency thats many thousands more. Believe me when you are taking 70 plus calls per day from poor bu**ers being told not to come to work tomorrow and by the way you can kiss your redundancy goodbye as we are insolvent, it does kind of open your eyes to what is happening in the UK :wideeyed:.

That is absolutely spot on ......iam very much pro pom ...but the UK fell off the cliff in 2008 - 2009 .

If anyone of you out there thinks you are immune , whether they be Oz , NZ , hold on to your seats ............America could well go down the toilet .

They are up to their necks in debt .....the only thing propping them up is that oil is traded in dollars .

Some of the big players like China , India are starting to ask the question if America is such a good bet ,and are looking at trading in various currencies including the euro .

The outlook wont look good for the U,S and Britain ....and consequently the commonwealth ....watch this space

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The UK's new........ National slogan. lol

450248489v1_225x225_Front.jpg

I see your agreeing with us at last............. lol

Guest Bobby
450248489v1_225x225_Front.jpg

Don't you get fed up with arguing with loads of people all the time?

:biglaugh: pot kettle black.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
:biglaugh: pot kettle black.

I only argue with you............. you on the other hand argue constantly with loads of others, it can't be good for your health.

Archived