The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

Guest Guest 47403
I love it when immigrants complain about immigrants, it's even funnier when people say one of the reasons they want to emigrate is because of all the immigrants. :-)

Also people who live in a country built on immigrants shouldnt really complain about immigrants.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the immigration policies of the UK and Australia, I'm not emigrating for that reason but really can see why people living in certain areas would desperately want to move away be that to another part of the UK or the other side of the world.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Yes the irony is quite amazing.

I love it when immigrants complain about immigrants, it's even funnier when people say one of the reasons they want to emigrate is because of all the immigrants. :-)

Also people who live in a country built on immigrants shouldnt really complain about immigrants.

Why shouldn't immigrants moan about immigrants ? If people living in Australia can moan about Australia , seems ok to me . I was speaking to a Sri lankan immigrant today , he was moaning about Tamil Sri lankans coming here on false pretences . I've met plenty of immigrant tilers moaning about Koreans on student visas putting them out of business , working for as little as sixty dollars a day . Seems fair enough .

Guest chris955

I'm not sure what that means, 'nuff' said ? Aren't you in fact an immigrant ?

"

Australia, along with New Zealand, Canada and the United States, is often described as a 'settlement country'. All four countries have experienced positive net overseas migration in recent years (OECD 2010). These countries have relatively high proportions of the population who were born overseas, when compared with other OECD countries. Australia has the highest proportion aside from Luxembourg, where over one third of the population are foreign-born."

In the UK the proportion of people who are born overseas is 11% whereas here in Australia it is 25%. Both countries have been built on immigration but it seems as though to some it is OK for one country but not the other. It's incredible hypocrisy.

From today's Telegraph. Nuff said.

Almost one in eight in UK are foreign born

Guest chris955

I think you are misinterpreting what was meant, how can someone complain about the number of immigrants in your home country but then become an immigrant in a country with more than double the % of immigrants ?

Why shouldn't immigrants moan about immigrants ? If people living in Australia can moan about Australia , seems ok to me . I was speaking to a Sri lankan immigrant today , he was moaning about Tamil Sri lankans coming here on false pretences . I've met plenty of immigrant tilers moaning about Koreans on student visas putting them out of business , working for as little as sixty dollars a day . Seems fair enough .

Guest chris955

What's your secret, how do you get away with not paying taxes ? :wink:

I am very pleased to say that I no longer pay any taxes to the robbing barstewards anymore. But I feel for the ones that do:mad:

The problem with the uk is................ to get back on track. :wink:

The government are wasting billions of pounds overseas, our money is seeping out of the uk and............ us tax payers are having to suffer no pay rises for 4 years.

Why do we put up with this nonsense?

The government are taking us for a ride.

The country is on its knees with scroungers/immigrants getting money/handouts for free. Who do these people think they are, claiming benefits????.................................

......But i myself cant wait to come Australia, however the only thing that is holding me back is im hoping for a fat voluntary redundancy payment to myself from the government before i do.

How do you spell hypocrite???:cool:

I think you are misinterpreting what was meant, how can someone complain about the number of immigrants in your home country but then become an immigrant in a country with more than double the % of immigrants ?

Chris gave 2 scenarios , but virtually uncontrolled numbers of immigrants can be a deciding factor for some one to migrate to a country with tougher immigration laws .it's even possible to a country built on immigration .

The country is on its knees with scroungers/immigrants getting money/handouts for free. Who do these people think they are, claiming benefits????.................................

......But i myself cant wait to come Australia, however the only thing that is holding me back is im hoping for a fat voluntary redundancy payment to myself from the government before i do.

and once you get there you can claim your aussie benefits straight away as well - kerching! - nothing wrong with your spelling

[quote name=......But i myself cant wait to come Australia, however the only thing that is holding me back is im hoping for a fat voluntary redundancy payment to myself from the government before i do.

Good luck with that, I've just been made redundant from gov and the payout whilst not super skinny is defo not fat!!!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

I'm not sure what that means, 'nuff' said ? Aren't you in fact an immigrant ?

"

Australia, along with New Zealand, Canada and the United States, is often described as a 'settlement country'. All four countries have experienced positive net overseas migration in recent years (OECD 2010). These countries have relatively high proportions of the population who were born overseas, when compared with other OECD countries. Australia has the highest proportion aside from Luxembourg, where over one third of the population are foreign-born."

In the UK the proportion of people who are born overseas is 11% whereas here in Australia it is 25%. Both countries have been built on immigration but it seems as though to some it is OK for one country but not the other. It's incredible hypocrisy.

I dont think in a lot of cases especially those that frequent this site that moaning about Britains immigration policy over the last few years is hypocrisy at all. Britain has been letting in anyone who wants to come here for ages regardless of there qualifications or worth to the country, and it has caused some of the financial problems that we have now and will continue to for years to come. Its only now that dozy Dave has grown a pair and decided now we have to do something before we sink. I have been one to moan about people coming to this country and bumming off the tax payer with no real thought of working to pay for the many children that they may have, why the bloody hell should i pay for it:mad:For me to get my visa has taken the best part of 3 years, thousands of pounds, health checks for all of us, going to London to build a wall amongst other things and all that on top of the incredible amount of paperwork we have had to produce. I am not moaning about what we have had to produce by the way as i applaud the Aussies for wanting to make sure that me and my family will not be a burden on the tax payer, and their are plenty of folk on this site alone that have had to wait longer than me and do more than me to get there visas. Do you honestly think that the millions of people that have flooded over to Britain have been down that route, some of them may have and lots will be here working and paying there way, but there are plenty that are living here with massive families scrounging off the hard working tax payer and i for one have had enough. If that makes me a hypocrite then i am a hypocrite and i could not give a toss.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Chris gave 2 scenarios , but virtually uncontrolled numbers of immigrants can be a deciding factor for some one to migrate to a country with tougher immigration laws .it's even possible to a country built on immigration .

I would hazard a guess that most people don't mind skilled migrants coming to the uk to fill jobs that uk workers can't do, which at present not many are required, but for the last 10 or 15 years migrants have just been allowed to come in unchecked, the borders agencies words and the uk doesn't need them, but Europe tells us what to do.

Also us would be migrants are paying thousands of pounds to pay for a SKILLLED visa, put it in capitals in case anyone misses this point and we are allowed to do so, because..................... Australia want us and need us.

No one is complaing about migrants at all, people are complaining about the crap system the uk operates, compared to the run a lot better system by Australia.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Originally Posted by The Ropey HOFF viewpost.gif

The problem with the uk is................ to get back on track. :wink:

The government are wasting billions of pounds overseas, our money is seeping out of the uk and............ us tax payers are having to suffer no pay rises for 4 years.

Why do we put up with this nonsense?

The government are taking us for a ride.

I don't understand why you have you copied my post at the top and replied with the above?

There is no connection to my post at all i don't mention immigrants or benefits, or redundency.

Guest NeilEB

The problem with the UK is that it's a dying country - sad but true.

We have no manufacturing industry anymore, our scientists are all leaving - we have literally become the nation of shopkeepers. The problem is, when no-one has much money to spend, there's little point having shopkeepers.

Our immigration policy is a mess. We allow anybody to come into this country, whether or not they can contribute. And best of all, the NHS is available to all, even if you have put nothing into the system. How on earht does that work? Why can't there be a qualifying period of 2 years or 5 years before getting free treatment?

And let's not mention the native Brits who can't be bothered to work, you know who they are - they're the ones living in a far better standard of living then I can afford, all paid for by our tax money - cheers!

And I'm not sure I want to get into our armed forces giving their lives in pointless wars that have nothing to do with us, and that we can't afford.

The really frustrating thing is this country could and should have been so good, but 20 years of mismanagement have crippled us.

I hope that someone can sort out the mess, but I just don't see if happening. I really don't mean to be so negative, and will always love this country, I just pity the mess it has become.

Neil

(I'm nit sure why I'm in such a bad mood today, apologies all)

Guest Guest37175
That may well happen hopefully not but it might, but if it did I'd like to think I'm man enough to explain why it didn't work not just take cheap shots at everything I didn't like about Australia :tongue::tongue:

I take your point, but dissent or dissatisfaction shows itself in a variety of ways. Sometimes I think with Aus, that because it's bigged up (for want of a better expression) so much in the eyes of prospective immigrants, that when some get here they feel cheated by the reality of the place and so resort to sarcasm to prick that bubble a bit. A bit like when someone mouths off about all the great stuff they have in order to impress or even intimidate the neighbours, the people around them resort to taking the P in order to take them down a peg.

Maybe that's what Fungi was doing?

Good on ya if you can take disappointments on the chin, but if someone is sold a dream and feels short-changed by it then they may well react the way he/she did.

All the best with the move. Whereabouts are you looking to settle?

Guest Guest 47403
I take your point, but dissent or dissatisfaction shows itself in a variety of ways. Sometimes I think with Aus, that because it's bigged up (for want of a better expression) so much in the eyes of prospective immigrants, that when some get here they feel cheated by the reality of the place and so resort to sarcasm to prick that bubble a bit. A bit like when someone mouths off about all the great stuff they have in order to impress or even intimidate the neighbours, the people around them resort to taking the P in order to take them down a peg.

Maybe that's what Fungi was doing?

Good on ya if you can take disappointments on the chin, but if someone is sold a dream and feels short-changed by it then they may well react the way he/she did.

All the best with the move. Whereabouts are you looking to settle?

I just don't see Oz getting bigged up in all the research I have done no one has ever said "move to Oz housing is inexpensive, 2nd hand cars go for next to nothing, you work less hours and we spend all day on the beach" what people do big up is there lifestyle changes and general well being.

I think Fungi was just trolling after seeing a couple of his posts I looked at his post history, replying to old aurgumentative posts to try to re-ignite them come on!

Thank you for the best wishes with our move we're hoping to settle in Perth, and if it doesn't work out I promise in a few years to come back and give an unbiased view of why.

Baz

Fungi seems anything but ! Back to thread , the problem with England was too cold and too crowded . I've never slated the country and love it , it's history , cities , country side and values . But aus is fantastic too and if your willing to give it a go and explore there's heaps to see and do . And it's warm all year in the sunshine state !

Guest guest36762

The problem with.......

Too many Brits regard immigrants with suspicion and contempt, so much so that want to immigrate to a different country where other Brits complain that there are too many immigrants.

Too many Brits are more than happy to slag off their country of birth on the grounds that there are too many immigrants even though they themselves could well be descendants of immigrants within the last 100 years

Too many Brits are brought up believing that everything in Britain is shrt, and that the problems that make it shrt couldn't possibly exist on the other side of the world

Guest Guest37175
I just don't see Oz getting bigged up in all the research I have done no one has ever said "move to Oz housing is inexpensive, 2nd hand cars go for next to nothing, you work less hours and we spend all day on the beach" what people do big up is there lifestyle changes and general well being.

I think Fungi was just trolling after seeing a couple of his posts I looked at his post history, replying to old aurgumentative posts to try to re-ignite them come on!

Thank you for the best wishes with our move we're hoping to settle in Perth, and if it doesn't work out I promise in a few years to come back and give an unbiased view of why.

Baz

Sorry Baz, what I was getting at was that I think that for a proportion of Brits in Australia the vision they had of their new life here isn't realised and with that disappointment comes a certain degree of lashing out at the place. After all, making the move out here is a bit of a gamble and the stakes are pretty high. If things don't go well then there's a natural tendency to highlight the bad stuff rather than acknowledge the good things about life here. Hence people having a pop at the culture, lifestyle, cost of living or whatever. If you've come over here anticipating a brighter future only to be disappointed, then that disappointment is gonna come out somewhere and these forums are as safe a place as any.

I didn't realise that Fungi was on the wind up, but that aside, some of the jibes he made about life here get made regularly and with sincerity by people doing it tough here. It can be very hard to be balanced in your appraisal of a place after all the cost and effort involved in making it here hasn't paid off.

It sounds like you've got a very realistic view of what Australia might offer and that can only help you if there are tough times ahead. All the best with making it happen.

Guest guest37336
Sorry Baz, what I was getting at was that I think that for a proportion of Brits in Australia the vision they had of their new life here isn't realised and with that disappointment comes a certain degree of lashing out at the place. After all, making the move out here is a bit of a gamble and the stakes are pretty high. If things don't go well then there's a natural tendency to highlight the bad stuff rather than acknowledge the good things about life here. Hence people having a pop at the culture, lifestyle, cost of living or whatever. If you've come over here anticipating a brighter future only to be disappointed, then that disappointment is gonna come out somewhere and these forums are as safe a place as any.

I didn't realise that Fungi was on the wind up, but that aside, some of the jibes he made about life here get made regularly and with sincerity by people doing it tough here. It can be very hard to be balanced in your appraisal of a place after all the cost and effort involved in making it here hasn't paid off.

It sounds like you've got a very realistic view of what Australia might offer and that can only help you if there are tough times ahead. All the best with making it happen.

Hi Oz.

That's the difficult one mate isn't it. To be fair and balanced when it 'seems' a country has not lived up to expectations mate is I agree very hard, nearly impossible at times.

I have the greatest sympathy when someone says that Australia isn't for them, it can never and will never suit some Oz, but when the time comes to make the trip back to the UK I truly do like to read what instigated that idea.

And if the negatives are said then backed up with reasoned logic, then go for your life I reckon. We are ALL allowed to whinge and moan, thats part of the process of being human, there would be many a sad person if our emotions were kept bottles up, and that path is a very dangerous one to go down I'm afraid.

I am not foolish enough to believe that Australia will suit everybody, and hey, even after thirty years mate when someone raises a point about Australia that they don't like I often find myself agreeing with them and grinning to myself.

But I guess I have been lucky Oz, I have had the ability to look through its many negatives and see what it has done to me, maybe I do wear rose tinted specs mate, but in all honesty if that makes me happy then I am OK with that.

Not everybody is able or willing to do what I have done, and fair play. Australia at the end of the day 'needs' to be scrutinised with very cautious eyes mate if ANYONE wants to make a happy life for themselves, it ain't perfect, never will be, that is a fact of life.

But at this moment in time I enjoy my time over there, there may well come a time when I am a lot older and of a different mindset I 'may' think differently, I hope not, but if that ever does happen mate I hope I can point out the negatives in a way that allows understanding and consideration, along with a certain degree of humour.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336
The problem with.......

Too many Brits regard immigrants with suspicion and contempt, so much so that want to immigrate to a different country where other Brits complain that there are too many immigrants.

Too many Brits are more than happy to slag off their country of birth on the grounds that there are too many immigrants even though they themselves could well be descendants of immigrants within the last 100 years

Too many Brits are brought up believing that everything in Britain is shrt, and that the problems that make it shrt couldn't possibly exist on the other side of the world

Hi Dom.

Hey mate, for once I am total agreement with you,:wubclub:.

The thing that surprises me is the amount of people (poms) that emigrate (not only to Australia) and then take great glee in the fact that they have got out of the 'sh7te' hole, nothing winds me up more.

It is very easy to forget what your country of birth has done for you. The times I have been out in Oz and heard the same old thing, crap this, crap that about the UK,:mad:.

As you well know mate I have a pop at both countries, and I like to think that I do it in a way that is balanced and fair, but to emigrate and then denigrate the country of your birth is in my opinion unfair and uncalled for.

A moan and whinge occasionally does us all good, but the ONE biggest things that annoys me is this.

When the ONLY reason some slag off the UK is to 'ingrain' themselves with some people. There is nothing worse that slagging of the UK just to make 'friends' and in some strange way try to integrate sooner, you see it time and again, especially from 'celebs' who are touring Australia, (that's just a little bug bear of mine mate)

I will NEVER slag this country off to court friendship, I am honest enough and old enough to realise that this country has been fairly good to e, and to use any other argument is futile IMO.

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest37175
Hi Oz.

That's the difficult one mate isn't it. To be fair and balanced when it 'seems' a country has not lived up to expectations mate is I agree very hard, nearly impossible at times.

I have the greatest sympathy when someone says that Australia isn't for them, it can never and will never suit some Oz, but when the time comes to make the trip back to the UK I truly do like to read what instigated that idea.

And if the negatives are said then backed up with reasoned logic, then go for your life I reckon. We are ALL allowed to whinge and moan, thats part of the process of being human, there would be many a sad person if our emotions were kept bottles up, and that path is a very dangerous one to go down I'm afraid.

I am not foolish enough to believe that Australia will suit everybody, and hey, even after thirty years mate when someone raises a point about Australia that they don't like I often find myself agreeing with them and grinning to myself.

But I guess I have been lucky Oz, I have had the ability to look through its many negatives and see what it has done to me, maybe I do wear rose tinted specs mate, but in all honesty if that makes me happy then I am OK with that.

Not everybody is able or willing to do what I have done, and fair play. Australia at the end of the day 'needs' to be scrutinised with very cautious eyes mate if ANYONE wants to make a happy life for themselves, it ain't perfect, never will be, that is a fact of life.

But at this moment in time I enjoy my time over there, there may well come a time when I am a lot older and of a different mindset I 'may' think differently, I hope not, but if that ever does happen mate I hope I can point out the negatives in a way that allows understanding and consideration, along with a certain degree of humour.

Cheers Tony.

That's a pretty good way to approach life wherever you are. Love the new avatar by the way!

Let's rock!

The problem with.......

You are dead right, many Brits regard immigrants with suspicion and contempt and imo they are probably right to in a lot of cases, we have had far to many scroungers turn up here from all over the place with there hands out ready to take whatever us mugs are willing to give them, wether that is a house, benefits or whatever, why should we all just stand by and accept it and just carry on digging in our pockets and paying more and more of our hard earned to people who are not willing to give anything back. Also their have been plenty of people who have moved here and are ready to accept benefits and then slag off our way of life and want to fundamentally change the way we live, what a ******* cheek. I dont see anything wrong with moaning about the slack way our immigration policy has let all comers in and then on the other hand want to emmigrate to Oz for instance, like i said in a previous post you cannot really compare people that move from Britain to Oz with all the stringent criterea you have to meet with all the scroungers who have come over here.

By the way i am well aware that we have had some positive immigration but on the whole i would say it has been bad for Britain over the last 15-20 years or so.

Guest Jarper
You are dead right, many Brits regard immigrants with suspicion and contempt and imo they are probably right to in a lot of cases, we have had far to many scroungers turn up here from all over the place with there hands out ready to take whatever us mugs are willing to give them, wether that is a house, benefits or whatever, why should we all just stand by and accept it and just carry on digging in our pockets and paying more and more of our hard earned to people who are not willing to give anything back. Also their have been plenty of people who have moved here and are ready to accept benefits and then slag off our way of life and want to fundamentally change the way we live, what a ******* cheek. I dont see anything wrong with moaning about the slack way our immigration policy has let all comers in and then on the other hand want to emmigrate to Oz for instance, like i said in a previous post you cannot really compare people that move from Britain to Oz with all the stringent criterea you have to meet with all the scroungers who have come over here.

By the way i am well aware that we have had some positive immigration but on the whole i would say it has been bad for Britain over the last 15-20 years or so.

Your post comes across as mildly racist. Why are they 'scroungers'? I agree that immigration isn't policed sufficiently, but keep the debate political, don't blame the people who just like you are seeking a better life.

Archived