The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

Guest MaybeOz
Maybe, he just could be trying to protect you :hug:me, I am the get up and goer and my husband is the stabliser xxx

Yep, he's definitely the level headed one SiamSusie .. I just wish he could even bear to go for a trial period - 2 years with the hope for 4 years and Citizenship - and beyond that, hopefully - on an 'adventure', but he isn't being budged! We have 21 months left on our visa but with each month passing the dream is fading :cry:

Why is your oh not keen?

It's the fear of the 'unknown', simple as that

Kari :wubclub:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest37336
Yep, he's definitely the level headed one SiamSusie .. I just wish he could even bear to go for a trial period - 2 years with the hope for 4 years and Citizenship - and beyond that, hopefully - on an 'adventure', but he isn't being budged! We have 21 months left on our visa but with each month passing the dream is fading :cry:

It's the fear of the 'unknown', simple as that

That's a great shame Kari.

I don't know your husband from Adam, so to criticise without knowing all the facts would be grossly unfair.

But (and I dare say you have said all this) does he realise that it is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity. I don't want to judge Kari,:wubclub:, but give him to me for an hour in a locked room and by the time I have finished with him he won't be able to say no, :biglaugh:, I would either bore the arse off him, or change his mindset completely,:yes:.

The offer is there,:yes::wink:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest MaybeOz
That's a great shame Kari.

I don't know your husband from Adam, so to criticise without knowing all the facts would be grossly unfair.

But (and I dare say you have said all this) does he realise that it is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity. I don't want to judge Kari,:wubclub:, but give him to me for an hour in a locked room and by the time I have finished with him he won't be able to say no, :biglaugh:, I would either bore the arse off him, or change his mindset completely,:yes:.

The offer is there,:yes::wink:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Do you know something Tony, I have just about exhausted every single argument 'for' the move so I might just have to take you up on your offer as my final resort!!!!

I might actually start a thread and ask peeps to post their 'for' arguments for me to put to hubby to give me some more ammo for my fight!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Tell him................ he won't get his hands on these beuaties again, if he doesn't go............... it would persuade me. lol

Guest MaybeOz
Tell him................ he won't get his hands on these beuaties again, if he doesn't go............... it would persuade me. lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The problem with the uk, is that our Prime Minister thinks he is important and that we are still a world power and that our Armed forces are able to sort out other countries mess............. he needs to get a reality check and realise the days of the empire are long gone. Let the other powerful countries who are rich sort out the troubles overseas, we need to spend our money on ourselves.

Guest Bobby
My oh was the same but eventually went for it. Wished i'd listened to him now. Heading back to UK Oct .

Some love it some hate it...but if you do not try you will never now, good luck with your move back and do not believe the doom mongers, it aint bad back here honest, infact I love it.

Some love it some hate it...but if you do not try you will never now, good luck with your move back and do not believe the doom mongers, it aint bad back here honest, infact I love it.

Just because some people point out that life in blighty at the moment is bloody hard does not mean they are doom mongering, you are always banging on about how bad things are in australia compared to the uk so why is it when people talk about the uk in a less than good light you get on your high horse. I have lived in the UK all of my life and have never known it so bad, people are dispondant and incredibly worried about how the country is shaping up on top of the massive hikes in the cost of living, its not doom mongering its telling it how it is.

Guest Bobby
Just because some people point out that life in blighty at the moment is bloody hard does not mean they are doom mongering, you are always banging on about how bad things are in australia compared to the uk so why is it when people talk about the uk in a less than good light you get on your high horse. I have lived in the UK all of my life and have never known it so bad, people are dispondant and incredibly worried about how the country is shaping up on top of the massive hikes in the cost of living, its not doom mongering its telling it how it is.

Can you possibly bring up a post where I say that things are bad in Oz Chris? I would be very interested if you can Chris, i love Oz and love the UK but just try and rebalance the arguments when all I hear is negativity for the UK and glowing praise for OZ, both Countries are so similar and it is a toss-up for me which Country I will eventually settle in in my old age.

How can you sit there and say things are not bad here, they are worse now than they have been for a long time, like i said its not doom mongering, its the way it is.

And by the way my name is not Chris

Guest Bobby
How can you sit there and say things are not bad here, they are worse now than they have been for a long time, like i said its not doom mongering, its the way it is.

Has your quality of life honestly gone down over the last couple of years? I can only speak for what I see and i and all the people I know are just the same as they were a few years back.

Is it worse for you than it was say 5 years ago?

May I ask a question and say :

How many of you who are still in the UK intend to make a move out to Oz ?

If thee answer is your staying in the UK then why are u on a migration web site? Its not a criticism its just an observation ...

Please don't take this as a criticism, it is not a personal dig at you, just purely an observation from your other posts. You do always highlight the fact that how bad it is in the Uk (which admittedly is not great at this moment in time), and how everybody is struggling financially and have to make cut backs and lower their expectations and standards of living etc..., but lets face it, you bought a house not long ago in Bucks (expensive county), and will be able to manage a month long trip to Oz for the whole family. Like I said, this is purely an observation, but surely if someone is able to do these things, is doing rather well, especially in these uncertain times?

Please don't take this as a criticism, it is not a personal dig at you, just purely an observation from your other posts. You do always highlight the fact that how bad it is in the Uk (which admittedly is not great at this moment in time), and how everybody is struggling financially and have to make cut backs and lower their expectations and standards of living etc..., but lets face it, you bought a house not long ago in Bucks (expensive county), and will be able to manage a month long trip to Oz for the whole family. Like I said, this is purely an observation, but surely if someone is able to do these things, is doing rather well, especially in these uncertain times?

You are correct, i have bought a house in Bucks and can afford to go to oz for a month as well, this is because i have worked very hard over the last 20 years and managed to buy and sell a couple of houses and build live in and sell another, and i have saved as well. Having said all of the above i am not purly seeing things all from my point of view, i know people who are living on the breadline and cannot afford anything except the bear essentials, also you will know as well as me their are people on pio that are also in the same position, who work but just see their income depeleted every week by greedy companies who can see nothing but pound signs and a government that is willing to stand by and watch. So in essence i am not looking at the situation just from my eyes as that would be incredibly selfish i am trying to look at it from people who are less well off than me, but maybe i should look at it just from my position and **** all the others:nah:

Has your quality of life honestly gone down over the last couple of years? I can only speak for what I see and i and all the people I know are just the same as they were a few years back.

I would not say my quality of life has gone down as we are healthy as are our children but our standard of living has definitly gone down over the last 5 years, we now buy very sensibly when we do the shopping, only travel in our cars when we absoutly have to and we certainly do not go to pubs and restraunts anything like what we used to. Also we have cut right back on holidays as we normally go abroad but this year we are having a week in Wales. Obviously we are going to oz for a month which seems a contradiction but that is because we have to go before the middle of December, if we had not just got our visas we would just be doing a week in Wales. So i can honestly say that yes our standard of living has dropped a huge amount.

Way worse,same for dozens of my mates,example?end of oct till end of jan four days work,the lpool echo doesnt even have a construction section on job vacancies day thursday sometimes,so yes,well worse off,even if there is work its £260 a thou on brick,prices dropped about 40% to what they were,im lucky in that if i work its for my mate so a decent day rate,but i cant allways get 5 days a week,dropped hse price another 5k yesterday to try and help sale to get to oz:rolleyes:,because i cant see things getting better up here anyway

I would not say my quality of life has gone down as we are healthy as are our children but our standard of living has definitly gone down over the last 5 years, we now buy very sensibly when we do the shopping, only travel in our cars when we absoutly have to and we certainly do not go to pubs and restraunts anything like what we used to. Also we have cut right back on holidays as we normally go abroad but this year we are having a week in Wales. Obviously we are going to oz for a month which seems a contradiction but that is because we have to go before the middle of December, if we had not just got our visas we would just be doing a week in Wales. So i can honestly say that yes our standard of living has dropped a huge amount.

See what you think when you get here. I think youll have a good holiday with guaranteed weather. But beware the average Australian cant afford to eat at expensive restaurants, pubs etc and certainly cant even get out of the country for a holiday. The standard of living for Aussies is dropping every year. All depends on how much you earn really.

See what you think when you get here. I think youll have a good holiday with guaranteed weather. But beware the average Australian cant afford to eat at expensive restaurants, pubs etc and certainly cant even get out of the country for a holiday. The standard of living for Aussies is dropping every year. All depends on how much you earn really.

I quite understand that, my posts are directed 100% on England and you will not find a single one of my posts directed at Australia as i am not in a position to comment on that, but like i said my experience of Britain is that in the last three or four years things have taken a massive nosedive. This is not another oz v uk thread so can we not take it down that road.

Guest Bobby

Andy I am sorry your standard of living has gone down a huge amount in 5 years but I can only speak for what I see and all I see with friends and family over here is 2 cars per family, holidays abroad and none of my friends or family out of work, people have always been out of work for decades and the unemployment rate has been higher in the past than it is today. Brits have always looked on the dark side of life unlike Aussies and the media does not help with all the doom and gloom stories, I agree some people as always are struggling some not all is down to them though.

We have become so wrapped up in the "never never" and keep borrowing culture that in itself it meant nothing to be in debt AND MAYBE NOW THE CHICKEN IS COMING HOPE TO ROOST :eek:

There was no logic in banks lending people more money than they could ever pay back and for that I blame the banks, after all they should of been more responsible. However I blame us the public for lapping up every loan,credit card and store card available without thinking how the hell I pay it back.

Maybe if the banks had been better regulated this would not of happened, But then that does not leave us the public blame free.

Borrowing culture has left many people in debt and suffering, our grandparents would never buy anything unless they could afford it, today people want it all now and that is why people are in finacial poo.

excellent post bobby !!!! cud not agree more but I think maybe its a global issue and modern day attitude .... I for one have had the credit cards and wud not use them again unless absolutely needed and I knew I could pay them off every month .... horrid things

Guest siamsusie

It actually is cheaper to holiday in Asia then it is in Australia in many instances, not unlike Brits holidaying overseas.

:wubclub:Susie

Andy I am sorry your standard of living has gone down a huge amount in 5 years but I can only speak for what I see and all I see with friends and family over here is 2 cars per family, holidays abroad and none of my friends or family out of work, people have always been out of work for decades and the unemployment rate has been higher in the past than it is today. Brits have always looked on the dark side of life unlike Aussies and the media does not help with all the doom and gloom stories, I agree some people as always are struggling some not all is down to them though.

We have become so wrapped up in the "never never" and keep borrowing culture that in itself it meant nothing to be in debt AND MAYBE NOW THE CHICKEN IS COMING HOPE TO ROOST :eek:

There was no logic in banks lending people more money than they could ever pay back and for that I blame the banks, after all they should of been more responsible. However I blame us the public for lapping up every loan,credit card and store card available without thinking how the hell I pay it back.

Maybe if the banks had been better regulated this would not of happened, But then that does not leave us the public blame free.

Borrowing culture has left many people in debt and suffering, our grandparents would never buy anything unless they could afford it, today people want it all now and that is why people are in finacial poo.

I do not want sympathy ffs, their are far more people far worse off than me, my point is that without a shadow of a doubt this country is in dire straits, to simply try to wash over that is daft. Also i agree with you re the credit boom we all as a nation should have been more responsible instead of just thinking it would never end, however people will take the money if it is offered to them on a plate as that is human nature so an equal share of the blame must go to the banks for throwing it around in the first place. Also, i would bet good money a lot of those people you talk about with two cars probably dont actually own one wheel of them and are probably still paying for the fancy holiday they took last year.

Guest Bobby
I do not want sympathy ffs, their are far more people far worse off than me, my point is that without a shadow of a doubt this country is in dire straits, to simply try to wash over that is daft. Also i agree with you re the credit boom we all as a nation should have been more responsible instead of just thinking it would never end, however people will take the money if it is offered to them on a plate as that is human nature so an equal share of the blame must go to the banks for throwing it around in the first place. Also, i would bet good money a lot of those people you talk about with two cars probably dont actually own one wheel of them and are probably still paying for the fancy holiday they took last year.

Andy, you must realise that evryones standard of living in the world has gone down over the last few years due to this world-wide recession, even Australians have to tighten their belts mate.

Do not agree with highlighted statement though I believe the majority of people do not spend beyond their means but we only here of the ones who are suffering and not the ones who are in the black.

But you said here that the people you know are just the same:unsure:

Archived