The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

I guess so ;0) maybe I need it to be 21-22 degrees before I consider it to be warm!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

lol, guess i am lucky, It has to be below freezing for me to feel the cold ;0) x

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol, guess i am lucky, It has to be below freezing for me to feel the cold ;0) x

U r lucky, I have my heating on even when it's about 12-15 degrees. I defo feel the cold easily and I hate it which is why I'm looking at qld

U r lucky, I have my heating on even when it's about 12-15 degrees. I defo feel the cold easily and I hate it which is why I'm looking at qld

Aww poor you, I would be so bad tempered if i felt the cold badly, and couldn't get warm!!!! The move to oz will do you good, at least you won't feel the cold so bad! :wubclub: x

might not be called a class system but like in the UK there are people who live in a different world.

Bobby that's called wealth, and much more easily attainable in Oz. Australia has a healthy disrespect for the class system. Personally I don't begrudge someone enjoying their "wealth". Totally different from the UK. I'm presently in the Uk for familly reasons and the comparison is quite stark.

Guest Bobby
Bobby that's called wealth, and much more easily attainable in Oz. Australia has a healthy disrespect for the class system. Personally I don't begrudge someone enjoying their "wealth". Totally different from the UK. I'm presently in the Uk for familly reasons and the comparison is quite stark.

Don't agree, aboriginies are seen as a class below white folk in Oz and no matter what you call it I see it as a "class system".

stp021.jpg

I know you put that picture down as a negative, but to me it looks like the inside cover to Led Zeppelin 4, and as a consequence has to be awesome, by default. One more scopre for the UK :)

chavs.jpg

These chav blokes in the park, however, I cannot spin into a good thing, no matter how hard I try. The closest I could come up with is that maybe they are actually East17 and this was an "in character photoshoot". BUt that still wouldnt change the fact that they are a bunch of chavs.

I am creeped out by that the bloke on the top right because he looks about 80, though is actually only about 15. weird.

With regard to the original post, you do realise that you can substitute the word "UK" in the title with...wait for it...any country, and it becomes valid.

What is it with the mention to the 'class system' as if it doesnt exist in Australia? Am I missing something?

Don't think aussies think of classes like in the UK, like working class or middle class.

It is never mentioned in conversations.

True the aboriginal health and lifestyle is a real problem, but quite a specific issue.

maybe there is no class system but the divides are still referenced by name, for example arent things like negative gearing commonly referred to as "middle class welfare"?

Maybe its because I'm originally from the UK and have the working/middle/upper class and socio economic group division labels in my mind, but conceptually I really don't see it as any different here:

There's the dole bludgers, the workers, the white collar workers, the middle class property tycoons and the paddington/double bay penthouse crowd. There's a bottom, a top and levels in between. That's a class system?

I wasn't referring to the aboriginals specifically, where they fit in would relate to their socio economic standing as individuals, like everyone else. (IMO)

Anyway, as I said, I just hadn't considered that there wasn't a class system here, and it sturck me as odd how peopel were saying there wasnt one.

Curse my automatic British labeling and categorisation habits:biggrin:

maybe there is no class system but the divides are still referenced by name, for example arent things like negative gearing commonly referred to as "middle class welfare"?

Maybe its because I'm originally from the UK and have the working/middle/upper class and socio economic group division labels in my mind, but conceptually I really don't see it as any different here:

There's the dole bludgers, the workers, the white collar workers, the middle class property tycoons and the paddington/double bay penthouse crowd. There's a bottom, a top and levels in between. That's a class system?

I wasn't referring to the aboriginals specifically, where they fit in would relate to their socio economic standing as individuals, like everyone else. (IMO)

Anyway, as I said, I just hadn't considered that there wasn't a class system here, and it sturck me as odd how peopel were saying there wasnt one.

Curse my automatic British labeling and categorisation habits:biggrin:

I do not think there is a class system here there are people who are better off and people who are unemployed etc.

English working class for me are anyone who works for a living and is employed by someone else.

Middle class are owners of businesses and professional people i e doctors, teachers, accountants, solicitors, etc.

Upper class are the aristocracy. Like race horses.

Here in Aus everyone thinks they are middle class and with so many people working for themselves rather than being employed guess that is why. Everyone who loses their job sets up a business.

Guest Bobby

It is just called something else in oz but it is just the same at the end of the day, class system goes on in every Contry in the world in whatever form.

Class system in Australia dont be ridiculous...... When i arrived in this country within 5 minutes i was in a car heading to Canberra for a job interview as a politician. I had absolutely no qualifications, no university education or refined accent, i just simply expressed an interest in doing the job.

I had a flash CV however id been a refuse collector in UK for 10 years but this wasnt a problem, this is the land of opportunity for everyone.

Redfern in Sydney is just a work of propaganda and no Aborigines suffer hardship,Fairfield,Cabramatta, Punchbowl and all other western suburbs are as nice as their Eastern counterparts. You can purchase a house in the western suburbs of Sydney for exactly the same price as the Eastern suburbs.

Indeed everyone in Australia lives in Woolwich,Hunters Hill,Vaucluse,Double Bay,Paddington owns a boat makes $1m a year and plays Rugby league. There are no private schools, Rugby Union or cricket teams. Australians do not care about social status/class are not ambitious like everyone else and indeed refuse to take high payed salaries out of respect for their blue collar comrades.

In most Australian homes you will find a picture of Karl Marx hanging in the main entrance.

So where the bloody hell are you?????

Guest Guest37175
Class system in Australia dont be ridiculous...... When i arrived in this country within 5 minutes i was in a car heading to Canberra for a job interview as a politician. I had absolutely no qualifications, no university education or refined accent, i just simply expressed an interest in doing the job.

I had a flash CV however id been a refuse collector in UK for 10 years but this wasnt a problem, this is the land of opportunity for everyone.

Redfern in Sydney is just a work of propaganda and no Aborigines suffer hardship,Fairfield,Cabramatta, Punchbowl and all other western suburbs are as nice as their Eastern counterparts. You can purchase a house in the western suburbs of Sydney for exactly the same price as the Eastern suburbs.

Indeed everyone in Australia lives in Woolwich,Hunters Hill,Vaucluse,Double Bay,Paddington owns a boat makes $1m a year and plays Rugby league. There are no private schools, Rugby Union or cricket teams. Australians do not care about social status/class are not ambitious like everyone else and indeed refuse to take high payed salaries out of respect for their blue collar comrades.

In most Australian homes you will find a picture of Karl Marx hanging in the main entrance.

In awe of your eloquence. Post of the week....at least. :notworthy:

Guest Bobby

:biglaugh: great post.

Nice rant, but that's about it. Don't confuse wealth with a class system. Bring on the Republic.

Guest guest36762
Nice how he implies you have to have a refined accent to be a politician here. Think his assumptions are from the uk rather than the reality on the ground here :biglaugh:

Here's a reminder of a proper class system rather than just bog standard social climbing: Social structure of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny, I interpreted it as saying Aussie pollies are just a bunch of poorly educated barely competent idiots

Guest guest36762
Did you miss his clever sarcasm :wink:

No. Did you miss the juxtaposition of irony with hyperbole:wink:

Guest MaybeOz

'The problem with the UK is .....' I'm being forced to stay here because my husband hasn't got the b@lls to make the move! :mad:

Kari :wubclub:

p.s. sorry in advance for any negative posts today, I'm having an anti-everything kinda day! :nah:

Guest siamsusie
'The problem with the UK is .....' I'm being forced to stay here because my husband hasn't got the b@lls to make the move! :mad:

p.s. sorry in advance for any negative posts today, I'm having an anti-everything kinda day! :nah:

Maybe, he just could be trying to protect you :hug:me, I am the get up and goer and my husband is the stabliser xxx

Why is your oh not keen?

Archived