Who thought Aus' was Britain with Sunshine?

Guest Aldo

Probably there was one or two people who are skint and can't afford a computer to........................GOOGLE Australia and see that it is really modern, with brilliant beaches and sea to swim in, with fabulous weather most of the time, where as........................... the uk is old and grey with crap weather and nasty beaches and freezing cold sea. Thats just to look at. Some like oldy worldy, narrow roads and old houses, nothing wrong with that, me................ i like new and modern, bright and shiny................ everyones different.
Ah Jim,If that were true always,i'd be made up!Alas,where i am it's a big mixture of old and new.Theres loads of old heaps with antiquated fixtures and fittings,it's like stepping back in time.Seriously,i often think'How can people in a Country as rich and as desirable to live in,live in these conditions.Some of the Rentals i have seen here recently leave me aghast!Like old painted purple kitchen cupboards with orange walls,knackered ancient carpets from the 60s with no underlay(or it's just dust now),drab drapes with crappy arl net curtains etc.Then there is the new builds,which look nice but are knocked up in a matter of weeks,with cheap materials and are seriously expensive.Of course there are pluses to it all,like the weather,beaches and people.All im saying is both countries have good and bad points.:yes:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah Jim,If that were true always,i'd be made up!Alas,where i am it's a big mixture of old and new.Theres loads of old heaps with antiquated fixtures and fittings,it's like stepping back in time.Seriously,i often think'How can people in a Country as rich and as desirable to live in,live in these conditions.Some of the Rentals i have seen here recently leave me aghast!Like old painted purple kitchen cupboards with orange walls,knackered ancient carpets from the 60s with no underlay(or it's just dust now),drab drapes with crappy arl net curtains etc.Then there is the new builds,which look nice but are knocked up in a matter of weeks,with cheap materials and are seriously expensive.Of course there are pluses to it all,like the weather,beaches and people.All im saying is both countries have good and bad points.:yes:

Your rite rock,SOOOooo different in the southern beaches of adelaide,seen loads of mansions on the beaches around moana,aldinga etc,and rite next door is a ramshackle wooden shed of a hse! found that really "different" to here

Not I.

Apparently there are a few out there who can lay claim to this - or as one poster put it "most of those who emigrate to OZ".

I cannot understand why someone would think that and it begs the question as to whether there are any Aussies moving to the UK who are labouring under the notion that Britain is just Australia without the sunshine? :cute:

i reckon most think australia is something in their own minds, or from tv (neighbours, home and away)

TBH Australia does have a lot of similarities to Britain and the ghosts of its colonial past are everywhere. So in some ways it is like Britain in the sun,just not as exiting, vibrant and interesting.:dull:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
TBH Australia does have a lot of similarities to Britain and the ghosts of its colonial past are everywhere. So in some ways it is like Britain in the sun,just not as exiting, vibrant and interesting.:dull:

Or as cold.

Or as depressing.

Or as skint.

Or as money grabbing of its citizens to pay for its debts.

Or as helpless to control its borders.

Or as unable to say NO, because europe gives it orders.

Or as...........................................................

Quite a bit of difference.:yes:

Or as cold.

Or as depressing.

Or as skint.

Or as money grabbing of its citizens to pay for its debts.

Or as helpless to control its borders.

Or as unable to say NO, because europe gives it orders.

Or as...........................................................

Quite a bit of difference.:yes:

but more insular (some might say)

not as cheep (unless of course you go to 39 different shops to do your shopping)

with less stupid names Todd, Brant, Brent, Trent, Breydon, heydon, gaydon ect...

with more rain

much more sameness..

:yes:

but more insular (some might say)

not as cheep (unless of course you go to 39 different shops to do your shopping)

with less stupid names Todd, Brant, Brent, Trent, Breydon, heydon, gaydon ect...

with more rain

much more sameness..

:yes:

Your time away has mellowed yer to oz i see aldo:biggrin::biglaugh:,btw like the avatar!

Your time away has mellowed yer to oz i see aldo:biggrin::biglaugh:,btw like the avatar!

I know!! I think i'm coming to terms with it now, in fact i can understand how those miners feel when they're getting into that cage thing... I felt the same when i was getting on the plane back to blighty.

Yes the avatar.. have you noticed when you wear high heels our legs take a much more elegant shape?

I know!! I think i'm coming to terms with it now, in fact i can understand how those miners feel when they're getting into that cage thing... I felt the same when i was getting on the plane back to blighty.

Yes the avatar.. have you noticed when you wear high heels our legs take a much more elegant shape?

Strengthens the calfs as well i find:biggrin::wubclub:

Can I ask why the posters who are having problems being in Australia and are unhappy are fair game for a p_ss take? I don't see a) the humour ( and I would be happy to laugh if there was even a snifter of comedy in this ) or b) what they have done to deserve it. Especially when the 'things you won't miss in Australia' was tongue in cheek. In the 'unhappy threads' there is nowhere where the 'Pro Australia 'team' get the same treatment.

Thought i would spend a couple of minutes defending 99.9% of pio members, on replying to my thread regarding returning to the uk, Found them very supportive and understanding, and not taking the P**s so to speak! If i did i wouldn't continue posting on pio! Yes some have given harmless back chat, but i give as good as i get lol :biglaugh:

Thought i would spend a couple of minutes defending 99.9% of pio members, on replying to my thread regarding returning to the uk, Found them very supportive and understanding, and not taking the P**s so to speak! If i did i wouldn't continue posting on pio! Yes some have given harmless back chat, but i give as good as i get lol :biglaugh:

Good call Dawny,the majority WERE supportive of your decision(other peoples opinions re you and yours dont matter anyway),btw all the best Dawn:wink:

Can I ask why the posters who are having problems being in Australia and are unhappy are fair game for a p_ss take? I don't see a) the humour ( and I would be happy to laugh if there was even a snifter of comedy in this ) or b) what they have done to deserve it. Especially when the 'things you won't miss in Australia' was tongue in cheek. In the 'unhappy threads' there is nowhere where the 'Pro Australia 'team' get the same treatment.

I think its equal and it depends how worried people are about other peoples opinions whether they take it with a pinch of sale or not :laugh:

I think too that some of the reasons people put whether tongue in cheek or not are asking for it

Thats about 77 days a year ive got to hibernate in a cold bath then,kills me the heat!thats why Tas is our 2nd choice

And, although Hobart has on average 159 rain days a year, much of the rain is the "scattered showers" type which you could work through, not the "real rain" of other parts of Oz.

Guest TA01085

It's not a case of "who thought Australia was Britain with sunshine" more like "who thought australia was laid back and a fun place to live" that's where we got it wrong !!!! It's actually correct to say australia is a lot like the UK in many respects.

It's not a case of "who thought Australia was Britain with sunshine" more like "who thought australia was laid back and a fun place to live" that's where we got it wrong !!!! It's actually correct to say australia is a lot like the UK in many respects.

I do find we're rather more laid back than what we were in the UK - we're still working the same hours and jobs and visitors have commented too - don't know if that's because we've changed or the change in environment has brought it about (one to ponder). I find Aus has a lot of similarities/influences from the US too

Having never visited Australia before coming to live here I did not know what to expect but I can honestly say it's not Britain with sunshine!

I genuinely feel I am in a foreign country except for sharing the same language.

So far the experience has been amazing and loving every minute :biggrin:

If I had know what I do now about Australia I would not have come here - apart from having a years holiday. Australia itself is beautiful and it is great not to have to put up with hordes of uneducated, ignorant layabout chavs, political correctness gone mad, excessive crime, drunkeness, useless Police but after being here 18 months i still can't put my finger on what makes it different but it is essentially the people.

There is much to admire about the Aussies - the way they support their country, the way that the the government supports them and the country (ie immigration and does what it thinks is best not kowtowing to the US or EU) but I certainly find British people more laid back, approachable, friendly and community minded than here (perhaps its just Melbourne). The Aussie attitude of "if you do not like it here, piss off' whilst on one level is true, doesn't justify doing nothing to make things better for society. I've got quite a few Kiwi friends and rellies who find Australia very backward socially, culturally and economically compared to NZ so its not just us Poms whingeing.

Guest guest36187

Have to say, I had no expectations before I came here. I didnt know what to expect! I just went with the flow, so to speak!

I always think....you move to another country, you accept them for what they are and dont criticise continually for what they are not! Take on their cultures and traditions!

Just my honest opinion x

Thats about 77 days a year ive got to hibernate in a cold bath then,kills me the heat!thats why Tas is our 2nd choice

You'll be OK mate. The brickies start as soon as the sun comes up and knock off pretty early to miss the worst of the heat. Perth doesn't get anywhere near the humidity of the Eastern States either, so it can be 30+ and still feel comfortable.

It may just be Melbourne, Mr BB. I find Hobart and Tas in general, to be very much like the West Country when it comes to being "laid back" albeit I find the people a fair bit more approachable.

I hope you and yours are able to make the move over to here because I think it could suit you down to the ground. :hug:

I suggest that you have a serious search of old threads cos many a time have we had the **** taken out of us, been ridiculed, laughed at etc etc!

Besides who decided that it is THEM and US? Arent we all on the same team, in the same boat????

Havent we all been through the same hardships to get here?

Some of us like it and some dont! Boring world if we all thought the same thing¬!

I found the thread referred to funny too. It's the delivery in humour that matters. We could all probably jump up on stage and rabbit on like Billy Connoly does and not get one laugh. It's never easy being on the receiving end but that's what a lot of humour (especially English humour) is based on, taking the piss out of something or someone. Peter Kay has made a living out of it. The belly laughs we used to have in the pubs were usually this type of humour but the upside is we could laugh at ourselves.

Most people are too touchy nowadays, like they've had there sense of humour surgically removed.

If I had know what I do now about Australia I would not have come here - apart from having a years holiday. Australia itself is beautiful and it is great not to have to put up with hordes of uneducated, ignorant layabout chavs, political correctness gone mad, excessive crime, drunkeness, useless Police but after being here 18 months i still can't put my finger on what makes it different but it is essentially the people.

There is much to admire about the Aussies - the way they support their country, the way that the the government supports them and the country (ie immigration and does what it thinks is best not kowtowing to the US or EU) but I certainly find British people more laid back, approachable, friendly and community minded than here (perhaps its just Melbourne). The Aussie attitude of "if you do not like it here, piss off' whilst on one level is true, doesn't justify doing nothing to make things better for society. I've got quite a few Kiwi friends and rellies who find Australia very backward socially, culturally and economically compared to NZ so its not just us Poms whingeing.

I don't think it's "just Melbourne" but more related to bigger cities anywhere. I've heard the same comment from Northern English people about Londoners and (southerners in general) not being as friendly or community spirited. I find smaller places where you can get almost a village type of community just great. I've visited Melbourne and see the same things as most big cities, people rushing around, concerned about their careers and themselves, no time for community spirit and a little less friendly than smaller communities and cities.

It may just be Melbourne, Mr BB. I find Hobart and Tas in general, to be very much like the West Country when it comes to being "laid back" albeit I find the people a fair bit more approachable.

I hope you and yours are able to make the move over to here because I think it could suit you down to the ground. :hug:

Thats good to hear. Being a Devon lad myself I immediately fell in love with Tassie when we went there and felt right at home. I've applied for a job in Hobart yesterday so fingers crossed

Archived