Who thought Aus' was Britain with Sunshine?

Guest Aldo

I don't think it's "just Melbourne" but more related to bigger cities anywhere. I've heard the same comment from Northern English people about Londoners and (southerners in general) not being as friendly or community spirited. I find smaller places where you can get almost a village type of community just great. I've visited Melbourne and see the same things as most big cities, people rushing around, concerned about their careers and themselves, no time for community spirit and a little less friendly than smaller communities and cities.

What you say is true. I lived in London for 10 years and should have left after 3 but Melbourne has all of the disadvantages of London - crap public transport, expensive housing, too big but few of its benefits (ok a lot of it is pretty and the crime is low) but is had few cultural activities, pubs, with atmosphere or quality nightlife. I'd never heard of Andre "Bloody" Rieu before I came here. Sorry but he aint culture - he's Peter Andre for pensioners and as for the 'hipsters' the so called cultural elite of Aussie youth plaguing Melbourne, having the sparkling personality of Morrissey and the dress sense of Bronski Beat was not good in the 1980s and you should know better.

Before moving to Oz I lived in Bristol and as you say , a smaller place has much better community feel..and I think it helped with Bristol being a hippyish, laid back and cool place to live. Where are the Aussie Bristols and Brightons? Has anyone heard of Powderfinger before coming here? Who the hell are they?

Perhaps I am getting old and just want to grow my veggies, have a few beers and wake up to stunning views. Fingers crossed for Tassie!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll be OK mate. The brickies start as soon as the sun comes up and knock off pretty early to miss the worst of the heat. Perth doesn't get anywhere near the humidity of the Eastern States either, so it can be 30+ and still feel comfortable.

Thx paul,yeah a few of my mates are over in perth,Quinns rock,they told me about the early start/finish,dangerous that,a fellah could need a cold pint after finishing early:biggrin:

Thx paul,yeah a few of my mates are over in perth,Quinns rock,they told me about the early start/finish,dangerous that,a fellah could need a cold pint after finishing early:biggrin:

Even the pubs have there act together. They usually have a happy hour with half price beer around 5 o'clock. I'm sure it runs into a happy 2 hours sometimes.

You can't get in the local pub carpark for ute's and other work vehicles with trailers on the back on Friday around 5 till 7. They serve pints over here too. So one of the "things I won't miss about Australia" won't even apply.

I guess the midis would have just dropped through his hands. They do seem to get moulded into a pint pot shape over the years.

Even the pubs have there act together. They usually have a happy hour with half price beer around 5 o'clock. I'm sure it runs into a happy 2 hours sometimes.

You can't get in the local pub carpark for ute's and other work vehicles with trailers on the back on Friday around 5 till 7. They serve pints over here too. So one of the "things I won't miss about Australia" won't even apply.

I guess the midis would have just dropped through his hands. They do seem to get moulded into a pint pot shape over the years.

I can whinge then paul,as they arent pint glasses in S.A! i'l manage tho im sure:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I can whinge then paul,as they arent pint glasses in S.A! i'l manage tho im sure:wink:

WHAT!!!!

NO pint glasses in Australia.

Thats it i'm not going. lol:laugh:

Guest LongwayDown
Or as cold.

Or as depressing.

Or as skint.

Or as money grabbing of its citizens to pay for its debts.

Or as helpless to control its borders.

Or as unable to say NO, because europe gives it orders.

Or as...........................................................

Quite a bit of difference.:yes:

Sounds exactly like Melbourne

Guest guest32776
Or as cold.

Or as depressing.

Or as skint.

Or as money grabbing of its citizens to pay for its debts.

Or as helpless to control its borders.

Or as unable to say NO, because europe gives it orders.

Or as...........................................................

Quite a bit of difference.:yes:

Are you referring to the book shop that went bust? Or that they keep letting too many Aussies in?

Guest guest37336

There is a part of Australia that is a mini England, to an extent anyway. The Atherton Tablelands just outside of Cairns. Meadows, fields, little cottage type businesses, farms, (not stations), tea shops, etc.

Only trouble is that it is full of English people saying, 'Ere, it's just England, init'. :shocked::daydreaming::SLEEP:

Home away from home, well nearly.':biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Thats good to hear. Being a Devon lad myself I immediately fell in love with Tassie when we went there and felt right at home. I've applied for a job in Hobart yesterday so fingers crossed

I like Hobart because it is big enough to have the facilities of a city but small enough and old enough to have that sense of community. I think that is harder to attain in larger and younger cities.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Are you referring to the book shop that went bust? Or that they keep letting too many Aussies in?

They are letting anyone and everyone in, the uk doesn't discriminate, its just been announced that 500,000 new school places are needed in the next 5 years for children born of migrants to the uk, its ok though....................... us Saps will pay for it, the government think were stupid and are taxing us to death, but people are getting angry.

Guest LongwayDown
They are letting anyone and everyone in, the uk doesn't discriminate, its just been announced that 500,000 new school places are needed in the next 5 years for children born of migrants to the uk, its ok though....................... us Saps will pay for it, the government think were stupid and are taxing us to death, but people are getting angry.

Some may say that the above post is a little racist. I hope your migrating to Queensland with all the red necks. I think youll be suprised just how many Greeks(Melbourne) 4th largest Greek city population of the world, Lebanese muslim, Chinese,Italians are here in the two major cities. Brighton in Sydney was closed off for 3 days after Greece won the European championships and there are many people sporting burqa's here and many mosques for worship, hence the Cronulla race riots.

Are you going to be "angry" in Australia when your income tax pays for them???

Guest guest30038
Some may say that the above post is a little racist. I

How is it racist? No mention of discriminating against a race and no mention of attributing any attribute to a whole race. :goofy:

kev

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Some may say that the above post is a little racist. I hope your migrating to Queensland with all the red necks. I think youll be suprised just how many Greeks(Melbourne) 4th largest Greek city population of the world, Lebanese muslim, Chinese,Italians are here in the two major cities. Brighton in Sydney was closed off for 3 days after Greece won the European championships and there are many people sporting burqa's here and many mosques for worship, hence the Cronulla race riots.

Are you going to be "angry" in Australia when your income tax pays for them???

I come from a big multi-cultural family which i am proud of and You probably saw racism in my post because it is probably a reflection of your own thoughts, i know you like to stir it up, but your wasting your time with me, and i didn't say i was angry, i said people were angry, but people shouldn't be angry in Australia because they slowed immigration right down when they needed to because they have the power to control it, unlike the uk that is controlled by europe. Another good thing about Australia, you must be pleased you live in the best country in the world.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but.................... its still a pig.:laugh:

Guest guest30038
Children born of migrants to the uk need schools???

Isnt that pointing at particular people??

Pointing at a the needs of a particular race is fact, not racism. Discriminating against them on the basis of those needs, or inferring that race is superior or inferior is racism. I can't see any inference, just fact.

kev

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Pointing at a the needs of a particular race is fact, not racism. Discriminating against them on the basis of those needs, or inferring that race is superior or inferior is racism. I can't see any inference, just fact.

kev

Ignore him kev

if he thinks that sky news is racist - it was their quote - he will do something about it, being an high and mighty protector of the downtrodden masses, but some how i think he will pass on that, what do you think?

i bet the Aussies love him:SLEEP::laugh::tongue:

Guest LongwayDown

Lets not get carried away here im just simply stating a fact. Australia is as multi cultural as anywhere. If Sky news were the one that said it then why did you feel the need to reiterate it?

What im saying is, doesnt every child in the UK deserve an education and an increase in population means an increase in building facilities. Your pointing out that the government is spending money on schools for "migrants",sorry children of migrants who have settled there.

I think youll find all governments do this, not just the UK. Sorry Australia is the exception of course.

GREEK LANGUAGE SCHOOLS IN VICTORIA AUSTRALIA

Guest valleylass
its just been announced that 500,000 new school places are needed in the next 5 years for children born of migrants to the uk

Looking at this with a positive eye - this will create more jobs though. For uniform manufacturers, dinner supervisors, teaching assistants, teachers, caretakers, school buildings maintenance, educational suppliers, coach companies (school trips), museums and galleries (that schools visit). The birth rate in the UK had dropped off quite significantly (from 1996 onwards) and this is now rolling out though secondary schools some of which are currently over staffed. Primary schools however are about to see a big surge in numbers which, whatever way you look at it creates jobs in the long term.

Just a thought

Guest sh7t man no way

i didnt think australia wuz britian its spelt differently,and is not the same in many ways execpt you need to earn to survive--also i knew ther wuz more sunshine,and it wuz warmer than the uk (in some parts)--but having lived there i find most people avoid the sunshine,and whinge about the heat,and cold more than poms--its a strange country indeed australia--it does not give you what it says on the tin--but having said that it can be a wunderfull place to live,and this is purley up to the individual,and there wants,and needs out of life--aye its certainly an adventure indeed:wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Lets not get carried away here im just simply stating a fact. Australia is as multi cultural as anywhere. If Sky news were the one that said it then why did you feel the need to reiterate it?

What im saying is, doesnt every child in the UK deserve an education and an increase in population means an increase in building facilities. Your pointing out that the government is spending money on schools for "migrants",sorry children of migrants who have settled there.

I think youll find all governments do this, not just the UK. Sorry Australia is the exception of course.

GREEK LANGUAGE SCHOOLS IN VICTORIA AUSTRALIA

I can't follow what your saying, i take it YOU don't think that migrant children should be given an education, because its your weird logic that has come up with this thought, no one else is thinking it, you seem to see things that no one else sees are you like mystic Meg?

I mention things from sky news because its good to even out the baseless negatives from Australia, i know you wouldn't believe it but theres some on PIO with an hidden agenda of doing Australia down at every turn, because they are unhappy there, me i like to even the balance, even though i am happy in the uk, got a great life you know, but............................................. ALL of us in the uk are being taxed to death to bail the country out because the government and banks have nearly put us a Trillion pounds in debt, so it gives us ALL a right living here to question why and where money is spent on certain things when we are having to fork out multiple thousands of pounds each for nothing extra, are YOU facing the same in Australia? Oh i forgot Australia is doing great, lucky you, i bet you feel really lucky living in one of the few countries in the world that never went into recession.

Guest LongwayDown

I think you keep avoiding the point Ropey and are easing your way out of your original statement which was YOU personally dont like the fact that your income tax is being spent on schools for migrants. If your statement was taken out of context then you are simply angry that it is being spent on schools in general.

What do you want the government to do with its money, subsidise alcohol and cigarettes?

Ill do you a favour and slightly go off subject so you can save face and we forget about your original statement.

How much is income tax in the UK at present? I ask because i dont know. In Australia it is 45% top margin. Im behind you 100% with the UK bank thing. The fat cats got themselves into trouble, but do you think banks here are any better??

Tell me im intrigued, since your such an expert on Australia and its economy how long have you lived here??

I think you keep avoiding the point Ropey and are easing your way out of your original statement which was YOU personally dont like the fact that your income tax is being spent on schools for migrants. If your statement was taken out of context then you are simply angry that it is being spent on schools in general.

What do you want the government to do with its money, subsidise alcohol and cigarettes?

Ill do you a favour and slightly go off subject so you can save face and we forget about your original statement.

How much is income tax in the UK at present? I ask because i dont know. In Australia it is 45% top margin. Im behind you 100% with the UK bank thing. The fat cats got themselves into trouble, but do you think banks here are any better??

Tell me im intrigued, since your such an expert on Australia and its economy how long have you lived here??

I'm sure you will shoot me down in flames but I just wanted to say that I think you are being a little unfair here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Everyone else on PIO can follow what is going on in the uk which is Australia REDUCED immigration when they knew the country wasn't doing as well financially and the UK left immigration to go UNCHECKED and the uk is having to pay billions of pounds out when we are nearly skint and joe public is getting hammered to bail the uk out. I write in CAPITALS because you seem to struggle with what is being said and read something into it what isn't there, or are you just a stirrer? Either way the subject is dead because i was stating a fact, try to follow what is going on, you made no helpful input into the discussion which is what you do and you offer very little from your experiences from the best country in the world Australia, you seem to be angry and confrontational and has something happened to you in your life in Australia, because if it has, there belies the reason why you haven't taken to Australia and Australia hasn't taken to you. You need to lighten up a bit and try to help people on this HELPFUL site, put CAPITALS for you again, so that your next negative post, hopefully won't materialize, but.......................... i won't hold my breath. Have a nice day.

Guest guest30038

Like I said..............lots of bitter folks on PIO via the migration experience, although I didn't say it in such illiminative terms.

Sarcasm and cynicsm seems to be the order of the day, under the guise of humour, but you ain't fooling me, but you are fooling some...........just seems a pity that you are fooling those more gullible.......but that's their problem.........

May you find your resting place (not that I give a feck) :biggrin:...........but you probably won't be happy there either. Sarcasm and cynicsm tend to be indicative of the Individualist and the disenchanted but individualism doesn't work when you're trying (or not) to integrate............if (or not) what the feck did you come here for? :goofy:

kev

Archived