16 months in !!! Thinking of going home !!

Guest sunseekers

Guest sunseekers

Hi all....

Been in Caloundra for 16 months and for the last few months had an itch to go home.

Its not home sickness at all, Blackpool is a dump and Caloundra is fabulous i just cannot shake the feeling that life is carrying on in the Uk and i am in some kinda limbo out here missing everything, plus the night life is tragic....thought i would not care, turns out i do......A lot.

Bored.com

Colette x

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Sorry to hear that, you may have noticed you are far from alone in having those feelings. Lots of people just dismiss their life in the UK and assume it will be the same with sunshine and often it doesn't turn out that way.

Guest chris955

That's a good idea, personally I don't believe in the idea you should stick it out for years to see if it is right for you, I happen to think it becomes obvious early on whether it is the place for you or not.

Hi all....

Been in Caloundra for 16 months and for the last few months had an itch to go home.

Its not home sickness at all, Blackpool is a dump and Caloundra is fabulous i just cannot shake the feeling that life is carrying on in the Uk and i am in some kinda limbo out here missing everything, plus the night life is tragic....thought i would not care, turns out i do......A lot.

Bored.com

Colette x

Hi Colette,

I was wondering how you were getting on, you haven't been on the forum for ages!

I must admit, I am very surprised that you're thinking of going back, seemed to have loved it when you first came.

Would you go back to Blackpool or to a different part of the UK?

Hi all....

Bored.com

Colette x

why not book a flight tomorrow and head back for a holiday, while the weather is nice.

Hi having lived on the Sunshine Coast for 3 years understand fully why you feel the way you do about Caloundra it is boring.

However Blackpool is a dump as you say so not really worth you thinking about returning there - we're in a beautiful part of Uk and still have struggled with some of the dinginess since returning.

Decide what it is you want and find somewhere that matches - if you can move within oz then why not give this a go or otherwise research a good location for you and family etc in Uk. There are plenty of great places in this world that will match the lifestyle you want - get hunting and get on with your life cos Caloundra is not changing any time soon!!

All the best

Guest sunseekers

Thanks for your replies guys...all food for thought.

Does anyone have experience with benefits ? I heard once that if you leave England for any length of time and then come back again you cant get benefits ie family tax credits housing etc anymore...

This sounds hard to believe, has anyone got a story ?

Colette

Hi all....

Bored.com

Colette x

Collette,trysomewhere different n the uk when you return

PS Blackpool is a ****hole ......sorry but it is ......las vegas after the nuclear war:biglaugh:

iam from brum ......most of that is crap as well

Does anyone have experience with benefits ? I heard once that if you leave England for any length of time and then come back again you cant get benefits ie family tax credits housing etc anymore...

Colette

Pop onto the government website, lots of information regarding benefits for people returning to the uk! There is a section down the left hand side of the page!

If you don't want to return to Blackpool, try Bournemouth, many nice areas not it the main center! I come from Bournemouth so know all the dodgy areas to avoid lol

Guest mickthemackem

Hi Colette,

I would like to ask you what it is about Caloundra that makes you feel this way,i ask because as a family we were planning on moving to Caloundra sep 2011.

Any advice on the area and schools ?

Cheers

Mick

Hope it all works out for you and all the best

hi

i am in blackpool and i can asure you . ITS NOT CHANGED. its still the same dump, just with a new promenade.

no work here either, so you will find it hard to find a job on fylde coast.

so think before you jump. i am trying to get out there and have friends who have come back and have regreted it.

which evere you do , it will be the right choice.

Hi all....

Bored.com

Colette x

Bloody hell! Did not see that coming!

Are your parents still there? What about another part of Oz? Is it that you are bored with oz or missing the UK?

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Colette

HI

You will have no probs with Benefits, my uncle returned to Uk after 40 years in Canada, and managed to get Benefits until he was back on his feet.

Colette

Hi Colette,

I think you would be able to claim benefits if you return, but I think you would have to pass a test called Habitual Residency Test before you can claim any benefits.

In this test, you would have to prove that your ties are now within the UK, such as bank accounts, registering with GP, having a rental contract etc.

However I am not sure what length of time someone would have to be away from the country for having to have to do this test. You might be fine after just 16 months, but like I said, I might be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if I am.

You could perhaps Google it?

Hi Colette

I'm from Poulton, so very close to Blackpool. I feel the same as you. The thing I miss most is being able to go into PLF for a meal and drinks in a bar meeting friendly faces. Where we live isn't close to a town that offers this. There are only hubs of shops that dont offer the same community feel. We are contemplating moving closer to the City (Melbourne) as there are more suburbs with proper high street with cafes etc. We too have been here 16 months so maybe we are going to a similar stage and will get over it. Having said that, we moved here for a better lifestyle for us and the kids, yet I cant help thinking the lifestyle we had was actually better. Maybe our location doesn't help as we have to get in the car and drive to do anything. Hopefully, a change in location will help us achieve the lifestyle that works for us here. Could a different suburb work for you?

Rach x

• 2 months later...

Hi

May I point you to a post you made not more than a month ago?

We're currently stuck in Singapore, but hopefully heading to the Sunshine Coast within the next 12 months or so. It's been bloody tough here as rent is ridiculous (a basic two bed apartment here will set you back around AUS$2500/month - no that is not a typo), the cost of living is quite high, and work in my sector is thin, with a saturated market of other IT peeps looking for work, all the while grappling to compete with the cheap labour of India, Indonesia and the Philippines. I'm actually looking for bar work at present, it's got that bad.

You seriously want to head back to the UK where it is cold most of the year, the weather is awful, the sea is freezing, and London (or Blackpool) commuters are rude and miserable? May I ask why you came to Oz in the first place? As another thread-poster pointed out, there is no such thing as Utopia, and things are extremely difficult sometimes.

I'm not really sure what I am trying to say, but maybe it is to take stock of your situation, reflect on the rollercoaster ride of the past 16 months and try to see what you have achieved, and the barriers you have broken down, and the potential for a country such as Australia. Things always look greener, but more often that is merely an illusion borne of despair and frustration. If after a good, solid think, you still feel like heading back, then do so. Just make sure it is a 100% committed decision :)

Mike

Guest chris955

I'm not sure where you are from in the UK where it is cold most of the year ? Certainly not the South where I am from. Also the weather definitely isn't the most important thing in life.

Good luck whatever you decide....

I would think about trying a different area first after going through the imigration process and moving so far away. Not everyone gets the location right 1st time. I live near Greensborough in Melbourne and close to a train station 20 mins from City, we also have a good pub down the road so its all there when we want it. All of this is really important to us and has helped massively with settling here we have also been here 16 months. I have my times where i really miss people but i don't miss the UK so have no intentions of going back at present...... i say at present because i dont know how i'll feel this time next year etc etc... I think move suburbs and try out somewhere else first before paying out all that money to go back.

All the best x

Guest Count Zero
Hi all....

Bored.com

Colette x

Don't do it! Britain is heading into possibly a defining 10 years of hell! stay where you are and enjoy what it has to offer. You soon grow out of getting pissed and going around pubs anyway so maybe its time to buy a fishing rod and fill the Esky with a few beers.

Chris 955 the weather may not be the most important thing in your life, but for some people the weather is actually a big factor. The winters in the UK are miserable (and this is coming from someone who loves snow), the spring and autumn can be unpredictable and cold. (Never stopped raining since Autumn started on 23 September). You can't even depend on having much sun in the summer. This year there was three or four weeks of sunshine in June and a water shortage was declared and a hosepipe ban put in place in many places in the UK! How the hell there can be a water shortage in the UK I don't know. Sunshine and blue skies make a big difference to people by giving them a feel good factor. Also, the ability to be able to get out and about instead of having cabin fever being stuck in the house for six months of the year is important. We are older then most I suppose on this forum, but the weather is definitely a big decision in living in Australia for us. We just can't face another six months of depressing weather. Other people think other things are important and if they can survive the cold dark dreary days (up north!) then good luck go for it.

Archived