16 months in !!! Thinking of going home !!

Guest sunseekers

hello colette, don't do it i would say, we have done it and regretted it badly, i know exactly what your feeling been there and am still a little but we came back last year and the place has got so bad i now know this is a better place to live, i have found with moving around aus that i needed to find somewhere i really liked and it does make a difference.

could you move to a different area? try to hang out and then go back for a visit i bet you will be pleased to be hear, we have wasted money and regret that but only yourself will know, nobody can tell you, we have had friends go back and they have stayed, it is all personal situations, take care and hope it all works out either way.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sydney is right and I hope that lots of people in the UK read this thread and learn from it. The Sunshine Coast is beautiful, but most Australians who live in cities would be bored stiff in Caloundra after more than 2 weeks holiday, let alone 16 months. I appreciate that the exchange rates are really against you and that the Sunshine Coast offers better housing value than some places, together with great weather. But if you come from a lively cosmopolitan place, I'm not sure it is going to hit the spot. Australia is a really, really expensive place to live and sadly it really is a rich man's sport to move a family over here now. It is not a pleasant reality, but it is how it will be for a while to come until the exchange rate re-balances (hopefully).

I left Caloundra in December. Best thing I ever did! my experience is that it is not a place for the under 55's. In the end I felt so low I had no choice but to draw a line under it - for my own sanity and mental health. At the time however I felt so trapped for no explicable reason that leaving also filled me with anxiety and dread and I just didnt know which way to turn. It was a vicious circle and a completely irrational one as I truly feel my old self again. I've lived in many places in Australia and Caloundra to me was just a place that was all wrong. As beautiful as it is for some reason it just doesn't have a good energy. Good luck with whatever you decide but don't be unhappy. The scary part is deciding to leave, the easy part is leaving. Be happy.

As others have said so sad to hear of your situation - you have had a terrible time. We are returning to Oz after four years but not because we couldn't find work, because we could and yes OH did have to use an agency to begin with and tried a few places before he found permanent work. Things are def not what they were in the UK but don't let that put you off returning if that is what you want to do as it is still possible to find work just choose carefully where you live. Have you been ripped off into buying land presented as ready to build on? did you use a solicitor or agent to buy it and did they know that your intention was to build and advise you appropriately? - if not is this something you could find some redress with legally as it stinks to me?

Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place?

Guest guest74886
Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place?

Caloundra and the Sunshine coast are holiday land and retirement central, it is alright if the beach and limited shopping and tourist rip off prices in the caff's is what your prepared for, jobs are few and far between and I wouldn't think the pay is anything to write home about, the nearest place with any decent shopping or night life is going to be Brisbane and doing the run down to Brisbane down the Bruce highway can be a bit hairy at times, it is notorious for the accident rate on it and the design of the road leaves a lot to be desired.

Facilities are there but they are skewed for the local population.

Like I say if the beach, a quiet life and a trip to Brisbane every 3 months and paying big bucks for a hotel in brisbane is ok then it will suit but don't expect a lot of action or anything more than the surf club or the RSL as a drinking hole.

Caloundra and the Sunshine coast are holiday land and retirement central, it is alright if the beach and limited shopping and tourist rip off prices in the caff's is what your prepared for, jobs are few and far between and I wouldn't think the pay is anything to write home about, the nearest place with any decent shopping or night life is going to be Brisbane and doing the run down to Brisbane down the Bruce highway can be a bit hairy at times, it is notorious for the accident rate on it and the design of the road leaves a lot to be desired.

Facilities are there but they are skewed for the local population.

Like I say if the beach, a quiet life and a trip to Brisbane every 3 months and paying big bucks for a hotel in brisbane is ok then it will suit but don't expect a lot of action or anything more than the surf club or the RSL as a drinking hole.

Spot on - I probably couldn't put it better myself. It is also worth noting with the warm weather seeking ageing demographic in Caloundra and on the Sunshine Coast generally is that you will find the attitudes of this demographic (generally speaking) to be much different to what you are used to. Queensland is renowned for being backward and no one can deny that, and the general bigoted, racist, hostile nature of this demographic can be quite shocking. Nowhere else in Australia have I encountered this on a day to day basis. Such folk work and live there so interaction whether it be shopping, getting a library book out, staying at a holiday apartment etc etc cannot be avoided. In the end it seemed to me that I only had to open my mouth and it would often remain open such was the shock of the blatant rudeness. It is a very localised place and Immigration, multi-culturism, progression etc etc are certainly not favoured. To that end work is a major issue, if you can find work that is because it is an area where even the locals struggle with jobs. And where such heavy localism exists a foreigner will not stand a chance against a local candidate. It's a shame, because the Sunshine Coast had the most agreeable climate in all the areas of Australia I have lived. Beautiful crisp, warm winters and rarely above 30 degrees in the summer. If you live by the beach and can catch the sea breezes its a joy. I guess that's why the ageing population head there!

Originally Posted by DAWNRACH

"Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place? Posted by DAWNRACH

Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place?"

oh yes don't get me wrong, both Caloundra and Hervey Bay are gorgeous for holidaying and spending time hanging out - bit for me just not to live! Month 2 I was pulling my hair out I think... As for kiddies I don't know... I don't have any (yet) and I used to feel that Aus would be a great place to bring them up, but these days I think I would prefer to at least educate them in the UK and I just don't feel I would want to bring them up in a penal colony (sorry!). For me all Australia has is beaches and sunshine and that is it. Nice, but not enough for my future well rounded culturally aware kiddies I don't think. But then again I do come from a nice area in the UK which changes things doesn't it, so I do get where people in not so nice areas are coming from - absolutely. If you live in a nice area and work is not an issue I would absolutely stay put. I've had some great times in Australia over the years but it has really changed and now with the ridiculous expense and cost of housing I could never recommend anyone turning their lives upside down for a 'change' or adventure. Financial pressure is such a strain and so stressful for anyone that unless there were major financial benefits from doing so where you could live a stress free simper life with your family, I would say forget it! As someone else has said if its a change you're after take the kids out of school for eight weeks and rent a house in a beautiful part of India for £200 a month and no work/money pressures. ! Plenty of British expats who give their kids the cultural experience of a lifetime in locally run expat schools and you will spend in eight weeks what you will spend in two weeks in Australia. You will soon get a taste for overseas living and whether its for you without bankrupting yourselves and turning your whole lives upside down!

"Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place? Posted by DAWNRACH

Hello All, reading this thread is very worrying. Many people have had such sad and bad experiences after moving to OZ. We are still in the UK (near Blackpool, Poulton) sorting things out before moving out to OZ. We spent some time touring Queensland last November and quite liked Caloundra (and Hervey Bay). I suppose our circumstances may be different,as we have children, and this is the main reason for us moving to OZ. The general view of those contributing to this thread is that Caloundra is a dead-end place to live! Is there anybody out there who actually likes the place?"

oh yes don't get me wrong, both Caloundra and Hervey Bay are gorgeous for holidaying and spending time hanging out - bit for me just not to live! Month 2 I was pulling my hair out I think... As for kiddies I don't know... I don't have any (yet) and I used to feel that Aus would be a great place to bring them up, but these days I think I would prefer to at least educate them in the UK and I just don't feel I would want to bring them up in a penal colony (sorry!). For me all Australia has is beaches and sunshine and that is it. Nice, but not enough for my future well rounded culturally aware kiddies I don't think. But then again I do come from a nice area in the UK which changes things doesn't it, so I do get where people in not so nice areas are coming from - absolutely. If you live in a nice area and work is not an issue I would absolutely stay put. I've had some great times in Australia over the years but it has really changed and now with the ridiculous expense and cost of housing I could never recommend anyone turning their lives upside down for a 'change' or adventure. Financial pressure is such a strain and so stressful for anyone that unless there were major financial benefits from doing so where you could live a stress free simper life with your family, I would say forget it! As someone else has said if its a change you're after take the kids out of school for eight weeks and rent a house in a beautiful part of India for £200 a month and no work/money pressures. ! Plenty of British expats who give their kids the cultural experience of a lifetime in locally run expat schools and you will spend in eight weeks what you will spend in two weeks in Australia. You will soon get a taste for overseas living and whether its for you without bankrupting yourselves and turning your whole lives upside down!

What you reckon a month in India will give someone an idea of what it's like to live in Aus. That's one of the craziest notions I've ever heard.

Dip in the ganges or the Indian Ocean may as well be a comparison.

What you reckon a month in India will give someone an idea of what it's like to live in Aus. That's one of the craziest notions I've ever heard.

Dip in the ganges or the Indian Ocean may as well be a comparison.

And where exactly do you think the 'Indian' Ocean starts - Western Australia?? Ha ha ha ha. I don't know where abouts you tend to go in India - Varanasi perhaps - but I tend to go here, as do many other British and European expats. If you read my post again, this time properly, you will see that I was not suggesting India would give anyone the experience of living in Australia at all - I was merely pointing out that a full on life changing emigration to Australia is not the only option IF wanting to experience life living overseas in the heat for a couple months without family and friends close by - before making such an extreme life changing move, and without risking financial ruin. It's called thinking outside the box. And by the way, the photo of the kids - they are expat British and European school children on the beach for some early morning sunshine and here they are schooled for two or three months of the year during the bleak European winter. Bright, happy, culturally aware children. For some England OR Australia isn't the be all and end all. Crazy, I know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

like this post millymarie. So much has changed with Oz, unless you are x2 incomes 20 something year olds looking for adventure (which I think is great for everyone before you have kids!) it needs some serious thought. True to also say, that if you are in a nice area of UK, it is the key. Research is paramount, could not have returned to the old home town. Glad we re-located somewhere new, but then we did our homework & that is the key.

What a great idea re another type of overseas experience too. I like that, might even do it ourselves when our kids get a bit older!

Hi there, I totally get where you are coming from. I feel that culturally i have entered a time warp since moving to Australia! Yes, it's a beautiful country etc etc but the attitudes to race and diversity have really shocked me. And to think that most Australians are only 4 generations from coming off a boat themselves! It's good to know that a lot of others find it hard too and at least makes me feel a bit less lonely. I am comparing living in London which is one of the most diverse cities in the world to living in regional NSW so it's not really comparable. I think the cities would be somewhat different. I know long term I couldn't live in a small town which we currently do live in. But the xenophobia and outdated attitudes have really shocked me! I am hoping to go back to the UK and Ireland this year but am too scared that if I go I won't want to come back to oz!! We have come here as my OH's parents are elderly and need our support as both him and his sis have been in London for the last 15 years but having been here for 14 months some days I could easily get back on the next plane outta here. You just can't quite replace that feeling of being at 'home' or belonging. I moved to London from Ireland 20 years ago and felt very at home there and also I could go back and see my family very easily. Not the case now obviously and that totally freaks me out. I daren't even look at the world map :laugh:

Guest guest74886
Hi there, I totally get where you are coming from. I feel that culturally i have entered a time warp since moving to Australia! Yes, it's a beautiful country etc etc but the attitudes to race and diversity have really shocked me. And to think that most Australians are only 4 generations from coming off a boat themselves! It's good to know that a lot of others find it hard too and at least makes me feel a bit less lonely. I am comparing living in London which is one of the most diverse cities in the world to living in regional NSW so it's not really comparable. I think the cities would be somewhat different. I know long term I couldn't live in a small town which we currently do live in. But the xenophobia and outdated attitudes have really shocked me! I am hoping to go back to the UK and Ireland this year but am too scared that if I go I won't want to come back to oz!! We have come here as my OH's parents are elderly and need our support as both him and his sis have been in London for the last 15 years but having been here for 14 months some days I could easily get back on the next plane outta here. You just can't quite replace that feeling of being at 'home' or belonging. I moved to London from Ireland 20 years ago and felt very at home there and also I could go back and see my family very easily. Not the case now obviously and that totally freaks me out. I daren't even look at the world map :laugh:

You're not alone, it is very dependent, I believe on where you come from and what you have left behind that determines how you adjust to Australia, it might sound bloody obvious but it's only as the parochialism of the place envelopes you that you start to use what you know of other places to make judgements of this scenario here and I find personally the parochialism and prejudices exhibited here quite stifling.

I find it works at one level alone, at the personal economic level, but that for us is only because we came when the exchange rate was in our favour so no mortgage and a well paid job for my OH but slowly and inevitably that is simply not enough, it is Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs "writ large, you simply cannot reach the last levels if your expectations exceed what is on offer here.

Great post by the way v educational - Have secretly harboured a hankering to retire to Caloundra - but only been on holiday, and not really thought it through. I have noticed that food prices are really high there, but still feel if you could get work (nursing, vet etc....?) could be worth a go. Probably best left as a holiday destination though. Have you been to the cinema there? Like someone's front room!!

Archived