15 month update.....Caloundra Qld

Guest sunseekers

Guest sunseekers

Hi Peeps

Funny...when i was in the Uk i was on this site daily, since iv been in Oz its got less and less...till i cant remember the last time.

Think this is prob the last post ill make...think its a kinda goodbye.

We have had hell of a rollercoaster setting up life here...(please see old posts) but its settled down now. its not wow wow awesome like the start and its not rubbish im coming back to blighty......its just home now and where i feel we all belong.

The four best tips i can give anyone are:

1 - Expect setting up here to cost AT LEAST double what you budget.

2 - YOU will need to make an effort to make friends, they wont come to you....But its worth it when you get there.

3 - You WILL get homesick at some point, dont pack up and leave after 6 months, It takes real time to settle, If you give it anything under a year your a fool....!!! And i dont care what backlash i get its a FACT...it takes time.

4 - Ship everything and i mean everything...It costs the earth to replace all your pegs photo frames plant pots casserole dishes etc etc .....bring the lot.

We love our life here but it does comes with some set backs...The Night life is really pretty poo...think bad 80's wedding, food costs a fortune and its dark year round by 7pm latest. They are the ONLY floors to living here in my opinion the rest is all good and outweighs the UK by just silly huge amounts, id NEVER go back.

Good luck to you all and im happy to help anyone ....send us a PM

Colette

Guest shirlw

It's always nice to read an honest post without all the bells and whistles.............enjoy your life to the full,heading out that way ourselves by Christmas but it seems a long way off just yet although In know it will probably fly by:biggrin:

Agree with you Colette, very good post. It's a shame you won't be coming on here to give us a little update every few months or so, can't we change your mind?

I used to love reading what life is really like in Oz when I was still in the UK.

Thanks for a great post

Sue x

Guest sunseekers
Agree with you Colette, very good post. It's a shame you won't be coming on here to give us a little update every few months or so, can't we change your mind?

I used to love reading what life is really like in Oz when I was still in the UK.

Thanks for a great post

Sue x

You never know.......I prob will get the urge at some time or another x

I agree with the others Colette,please reconsider your decision to not post anymore,we value your input and people who are considering moving to Australia need all the advice they can get,they need to know the negatives as well as the positives and your experiences could prove very valuable to many people.

I'm glad you are happy here and have settled but please keep posting.

Regards

J

Really hope you keep posting, we have just spent a month in Oz, a couple of weeks were at Little Mountain, Caloundra with our friends. The reality of house prices/wages costs of living, education etc made us realise the trip was worth its weight in gold as fact finding. The RSL & Moffat Beach were fab! But life is life & the mortgage & bills will always need to be paid. Will PM you for more info as we would love to settle here & hubby had a good interview/meet & greet with Langs The Builders. With two children of 9 & 6 we have lots to consider, so will get in touch soon, thanks Lynda

• 1 year later...
Guest Heather P

I moved to Caloundra with my husband and daughter age 9 last year. Lucy goes to Golden Beach school and has settled in well. We are loving our new life but have found it hard to make friends. If there is anyone in the area wanting to meet new people for friendship please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nataliepowell
I moved to Caloundra with my husband and daughter age 9 last year. Lucy goes to Golden Beach school and has settled in well. We are loving our new life but have found it hard to make friends. If there is anyone in the area wanting to meet new people for friendship please let me know.

Heather - pm me for details of a local expat group on the coast that meet up regularly :)

We are in Little Mountain and loving life here so far :biggrin:

Archived