Guest guest36187

7 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Once we arrive I presume we need to register with medicare etc but not sure what type of insurance to look for for a one way plus a few days trip ?

You're covered by medicare as soon as you land (and enter on the 143 visa), regardless of whether you've registered or not.

The medical cover on most policies is probably adequate for the flight. You just need to decide whether you need extras like personal property, lost documents, delays, curtailment, etc. 

Edited by thomas1965
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi,

Well that was a crazy couple of weeks! House move done, and counting down until we fly, 7th June.

Has anyone any advice on travel insurance on the one way flight to OZ?.

Once we arrive I presume we need to register with medicare etc but not sure what type of insurance to look for for a one way plus a few days trip ?

There is a company called Down Under Insurance that does one way cover.  Recommended by somebody on another forum so I have no personal experience of the company, but it might be worth considering.  Just one item on my list of 'useful info' to be studied when the time comes.

Edit - have just started a test quote for myself but only available to under 55s!

Edited by Sadge
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, thomas1965 said:

You're covered by medicare as soon as you land (and enter on the 143 visa), regardless of whether you've registered or not.

The medical cover on most policies is probably adequate for the flight. You just need to decide whether you need extras like personal property, lost documents, delays, curtailment, etc. 

You need to make sure you get a one way travel policy.  Many make the mistake of getting standard travel insurance. With this under the terms and conditions your holiday must start and end in the uk and would therefore be invalid on a one way trip 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi,

Well that was a crazy couple of weeks! House move done, and counting down until we fly, 7th June.

Has anyone any advice on travel insurance on the one way flight to OZ?.

Well done and congratulations!  Try gowalkabout for the travel insurance.  I was going to use them for mine but when the time came I forgot all about insurance - oops.  

It's a good idea to get your Medicare card asap; otherwise you may have to pay for treatment and then have the aggro of claiming it back. If you have the card, you can go to a bulk billing medical practice without having to pay, although you will still have to pay for prescriptions.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2018 at 21:30, Tulip1 said:

There will always be the scenario that a parents children live in Oz and they wish to join them but still have say one child at home with them.  If that child is a child and dependant then I think they should go on the application. After all, very few parents would do the visa to move to be with their children if one child would be left alone in the U.K. The problem is it does get exploited (we've seen on here recently about 25 year olds still 'dependant). The other thing you mention is that most of us can financially afford the move which is possible true although no end of people post on here about having to sell up, having to live somewhere cheap in Oz, worried about pension rises stopped, hoping to get work well into their 60's to afford to live etc. I reckon there are a fair amount of parents who really can't afford the move but will 'manage and make it work'. The other part to this is there must be a very high percentage of parents from other countries with very little money.  

It's an odd thing though - you mention the aged up to 25 being exploited....it's within rules (or if not no grant).  Personally I think that moving over on a 600 in advance of visa grant is an exploitation...but it's still a strategy so fair game.

You are right that parents coming from other countries than the UK aren't necessarily as well off, but I can only see an increase of the combination of AOS / Parent assets going forward not a separation.

All here are going for the same goal, and good luck to all!

Edited by Ferrets
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

It's an odd thing though - you mention the aged up to 25 being exploited....it's within rules (or if not no grant).  Personally I think that moving over on a 600 in advance of visa grant is an exploitation...but it's still a strategy so fair game.

You are right that parents coming from other countries than the UK aren't necessarily as well off, but I can only see an increase of the combination of AOS / Parent assets going forward not a separation.

All here are going for the same goal, and good luck to all!

I for one would not be moving over on a 600 if Immi stuck to the initial 18-24months from when I applied. But my daughters life cannot wait for me hence the arrival of my Grandson and hence the 600 it is then!  I’m sure many are in the same boat. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

I for one would not be moving over on a 600 if Immi stuck to the initial 18-24months from when I applied. But my daughters life cannot wait for me hence the arrival of my Grandson and hence the 600 it is then!  I’m sure many are in the same boat. 

Totally fair - it's in the rules.

My point was that it's still an exploit that benefits UK parents disproportionately over others due to entry restrictions, it wasn't meant to call anyone out ?

1 minute ago, Ferrets said:

Totally fair - it's in the rules.

My point was that it's still an exploit that benefits UK parents disproportionately over others due to entry restrictions, it wasn't meant to call anyone out ?

I think we are in the minority when it come to parent visa applications so that to me that is disproportionate also. We are only a tiny percent of applications I believe so it’s nice to have one perk then! ?

Just now, Kathss56 said:

I think we are in the minority when it come to parent visa applications so that to me that is disproportionate also. We are only a tiny percent of applications I believe so it’s nice to have one perk then! ?

I think UK parents are still about 1/3, with India and China the other two main for parent visas

Yes UK is 3rd but a long way behind. Also as far as I can see on home affairs website there are a great many countries  who can apply online for the 600 visa  and if not on that list a paper application can be made so I don’t think UK  applicants for the 600 visa get any preferential treatment ? 

FD43B7CD-0FED-4444-AB42-9FFFB82700E7.png

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes UK is 3rd but a long way behind. Also as far as I can see on home affairs website there are a great many countries  who can apply online for the 600 visa  and if not on that list a paper application can be made so you don’t think UK  applicants for the 600 visa get any preferential treatment ? 

FD43B7CD-0FED-4444-AB42-9FFFB82700E7.png

Difficult because that is skewed by IT and Accountancy (and really I'd need my own thread there).

But I know my parent's entry visas have had virtually no restrictions (i.e. no further entry / no further applications) that I think as a UK parent you do start in a better place i.e. being able to get a 600 / apply for an onshore visa.

Yes I do appreciate  the figures are as a whole based on total migration but it does give some idea of the dominant countries. 

There are also UK parents on here who have have conditions put on their 600 visas, 12 in any 18months, mandatory health insurance etc 

Also the list of countries able to make online 600 visa applications is here  - it’s too big to put in a post! 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/600-/Visitor-e600-visa-online-applications#

Sorry wasn't meant to be a disagreement about the 600s, was just trying to be a point that I have a personal view.

The whole parent visa situation is a mess.  The can has been kicked down the road previously to an extent that it is becoming quickly unsolvable against an environment of using young immigrants as an economic lever.

As a child I am hoping my parents can secure their visa.  As a taxpayer I understand the concerns of the cost of the parent visa.

Overall this is only going to get more difficult for parents, I hope all posting here achieve their aim, and I think that any retrospective measure is reprehensible.  However do not expect any easing of the pressures, and as @Alan Collett mentioned parents and their sponsors need to make sure they have a greater voice.

1 hour ago, Ferrets said:

I think UK parents are still about 1/3, with India and China the other two main for parent visas

Try China 53.7% and UK 7.3% of all parent visas.

I don't have any data for more recent years but you can see how the trend is making this even more imbalanced.

596bc96586bb3_ScreenShot2017-07-16at21_02_13.thumb.png.58f88f4e592fb04b362af7fb8373d52e.png

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferrets said:

Difficult because that is skewed by IT and Accountancy (and really I'd need my own thread there).

But I know my parent's entry visas have had virtually no restrictions (i.e. no further entry / no further applications) that I think as a UK parent you do start in a better place i.e. being able to get a 600 / apply for an onshore visa.

I have had every condition attached to my 600!  Have income, have lump sum from house, have no medical conditions. Private medical insurance has just cost me $1350 for the year. There is no logic to how they issue these. Pot luck /different clerks! So we don’t all have it so straight forward and easy ?

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TinaH said:

@whataday @Zaki ~ have you got any news?

56 minutes ago, Zaki said:

@TinaH Nah nothing ?..

@whataday  peter atleast u have CO. 

Hi Tina and Zaki

Thanks for thinking of me.

I just got a 2nd VAC payment request a few hours ago by email from PVC team 1. I was trilled by this exciting news and lucky got a bank cheque arranged before the bank was closed.

I will post the cheque later this morning by express and hope the visa is granted upon the arrival of bank cheque sometime next week.

I will surely keep you updated 

Cheers

Peter

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, whataday said:

Hi Tina and Zaki

Thanks for thinking of me.

I just got a 2nd VAC payment request a few hours ago by email from PVC team 1. I was trilled by this exciting news and lucky got a bank cheque arranged before the bank was closed.

I will post the cheque later this morning by express and hope the visa is granted upon the arrival of bank cheque sometime next week.

I will surely keep you updated 

Cheers

Peter

Peter ??? Congratulations ? 

Weekend is yours 

Zaki 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1