Guest guest36187

2 hours ago, Lolly T said:

Right ok. Never heard of 600 visa with 5 years stay.

Hope it's not an admin error. 

If it was me, I would check on the vevo system just to make sure that's what they have on there for your visa conditions. 

Actually, in the discussion documents for the new temporary parent visa, which is supposed to be coming in in November, it did make reference to applicants for contributory parent visas being able to get 2, 3 or 5 year visitor visas.  This was particularly significant because of the current processing delays. 

What is the VEVO system you refer to?  Anyway, I desperately hope that they haven't made an admin error.  Maybe I would rather not know .....

3 hours ago, Lolly T said:

Right ok. Never heard of 600 visa with 5 years stay.

Hope it's not an admin error. 

If it was me, I would check on the vevo system just to make sure that's what they have on there for your visa conditions. 

Sorry, add on to my last post.  Just to clarify, my visa is not for 5 years stay.  it is a visa which is valid  for 5 years and allows for a stay period of 12 months with each arrival. 

9 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Got my Woolies account, just need to be over there to use it!  I can't apply for the other as the system recognises that I'm not onshore in Aus! 

Everyones gone quiet, I've nothing to read in the evening!!!

Morning!

can I ask what insurance you are using when you on your 600 visa please?

thanks

Hi Kathss56, I haven't actually got one in force yet, but I got a couple quotes and will do so again before I go in December, and hope they've not gone up in the interim! 

Australian Unity and Allianz are companies I looked at. I'll go for the cheapest, which may not be the best, but to be honest I'm not sure there'd be a lot between them - unless of course anyone knows any different! 

5 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Hi Kathss56, I haven't actually got one in force yet, but I got a couple quotes and will do so again before I go in December, and hope they've not gone up in the interim! 

Australian Unity and Allianz are companies I looked at. I'll go for the cheapest, which may not be the best, but to be honest I'm not sure there'd be a lot between them - unless of course anyone knows any different! 

Is it a quote for one way trip long stay or an annual policy?  That's the big difference apparently! Read the t&c's / small print etc.

Tedious I know! ?

On 16 August 2017 at 02:28, Kathss56 said:

Is it a quote for one way trip long stay or an annual policy?  That's the big difference apparently! Read the t&c's / small print etc.

Tedious I know! ?

Those that I've looked at are specially for 600 visas, and I can't see anything in the quotes regarding one way or annual policies? Although I'm taking a one way flight in December, my future flights will be returns from Australia. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 00:16, Fisher1 said:

And so welcome to the new madhouse ... I've been madly ticking things off my 'to do ' list all week ... Or not. If I have to listen to one more robotic voice telling me that my call is important to them and they will try to connect me soon, I'll scream. Ditto those mad web sites that take you round in circles but never to the actual page with the actual address so that you can actually write a letter to these people because nothing else is working. Worst culprits? HM tax, swiftly followed by teachers pensions. We are slowly getting rid of all the stuff we aren't taking. I'll be so glad when it's all done and I really can relax. D day is a week today. 

Good luck Fisher 1 you have had a long wait but at last you are on your way!  Enjoy being with yor family.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Big day tomorrow for Fisher1, have a good flight and keep us posted when you have time.

thanks everyone! Just come on for a quick look before getting up to wait for the removers, who are arriving between 7 & 8.30. We aren't leaving here till tomorrow - staying with friends and out for dinner to our favourite pub grub place tonight. The on to my sisters in the morning, visiting old friends overnight on Monday and actually flying next Wednesday.  

things so far that I wouldn't have done? Made all these plans for last minute visits ... Absolutely shattered, should have stayed overnight and gone straight off tomorrow ...      

Things so far I should have done? Started chucking stuff out earlier, started trying to get in touch with the B**** teachers pensions earlier (like erm say last year???).  

Things I am glad I did? Checklists, photgraphing less crucial docs so I don't have to carry them, redirecting the post - you need to give the post office four weeks notice - finding out ahead of time which banks will let you keep your accounts.    

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the good wishes :D

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

thanks everyone! Just come on for a quick look before getting up to wait for the removers, who are arriving between 7 & 8.30. We aren't leaving here till tomorrow - staying with friends and out for dinner to our favourite pub grub place tonight. The on to my sisters in the morning, visiting old friends overnight on Monday and actually flying next Wednesday.  

things so far that I wouldn't have done? Made all these plans for last minute visits ... Absolutely shattered, should have stayed overnight and gone straight off tomorrow ...      

Things so far I should have done? Started chucking stuff out earlier, started trying to get in touch with the B**** teachers pensions earlier (like erm say last year???).  

Things I am glad I did? Checklists, photgraphing less crucial docs so I don't have to carry them, redirecting the post - you need to give the post office four weeks notice - finding out ahead of time which banks will let you keep your accounts.    

Thanks for all your hints and tips along the way.   Glad to know that everything is so nearly totally sorted for you - I know it's been a roller coaster ride.  Hope all goes well with the pack and that you can then relax at least a bit  over the next few days before your flights on Wednesday.  Very, very best wishes for your new lives in Australia, and do keep posting to this forum to let us know how you are getting on - and, of course, to respond to our constant queries!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Those that I've looked at are specially for 600 visas, and I can't see anything in the quotes regarding one way or annual policies? Although I'm taking a one way flight in December, my future flights will be returns from Australia. 

Hi Suzyq,  Im not sure that we are talking about the same thing here.  I know Australian Unity and Allianz will do medical insurance for people in Australia on a 600 visa, but the insurance that I think Kath is querying is travel insurance, particularly for flights to and from Australia.   The travel insurance on Australian Unity specifies that you must be an Australian resident to be eligible, as do most others.  That therefore excludes those of us who will officially just be "visitors".  Uk travel insurance invariably has the UK resident clause, which is another element which is difficult to meet for those of us who then no longer have a residential address in the UK.  Even if we give a relatives address we wouldn't be able to prove that we have been resident there for at least 6 out of the previous 12 months, so it wouldn't be valid.  We can make arrangements for the initial trip out to Australia but not thereafter.  Also many Uk policies specify that the trip must both start and END in the UK.  A few that I have found will cover a one way trip, good for those emigrating.  It remains a big problem however for those of  us who won't officially be resident anywhere but who will still want to /need to travel. 

If anyone has found a travel company who can cater for our specific needs as nomads then do please let us know!  Thanks. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AMP said:

Hi Suzyq,  Im not sure that we are talking about the same thing here.  I know Australian Unity and Allianz will do medical insurance for people in Australia on a 600 visa, but the insurance that I think Kath is querying is travel insurance, particularly for flights to and from Australia.   The travel insurance on Australian Unity specifies that you must be an Australian resident to be eligible, as do most others.  That therefore excludes those of us who will officially just be "visitors".  Uk travel insurance invariably has the UK resident clause, which is another element which is difficult to meet for those of us who then no longer have a residential address in the UK.  Even if we give a relatives address we wouldn't be able to prove that we have been resident there for at least 6 out of the previous 12 months, so it wouldn't be valid.  We can make arrangements for the initial trip out to Australia but not thereafter.  Also many Uk policies specify that the trip must both start and END in the UK.  A few that I have found will cover a one way trip, good for those emigrating.  It remains a big problem however for those of  us who won't officially be resident anywhere but who will still want to /need to travel. 

If anyone has found a travel company who can cater for our specific needs as nomads then do please let us know!  Thanks. 

I wondered what I was missing!! We use our bank account travel insurance, but you have a point I will check the small print out. We will retain the UK account anyway even when we're in Aus. Just in case.

3 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Wishing you all the very best??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Suzyq said:

I will book a return for about 11mths back to UK  as much cheaper than dep Oz ! 

29 minutes ago, Suzyq said:

I wondered what I was missing!! We use our bank account travel insurance, but you have a point I will check the small print out. We will retain the UK account anyway even when we're in Aus. Just in case.

No worries.  But, 11 months insurance does work out quite pricey, particularly when you really don't need cover for the intervening months (and this will be particularly the case if you take out extra health insurance whilst you are in Australia). This issue has been seriously troubling me over the last few days.  I think though that I now have the solution.  Try QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd.  That one seems to meet the bill.  It will give cover for non residents for single trips to and from Australia. So, this is good not only for return trips to the Uk but also for interim trips, to NZ or wherever!  It also has an option for single trips to Australia.  I learned about them by looking at the travel section of this forum.  Have to confess that I am very lax about looking at other blogs on here, particularly since I am a bit hooked on this particular parent visa forum which always seems to come up with the answers which are most relevant to us! 

• Like 3

On 12/08/2017 at 00:16, Fisher1 said:

And so welcome to the new madhouse ... I've been madly ticking things off my 'to do ' list all week ... Or not. If I have to listen to one more robotic voice telling me that my call is important to them and they will try to connect me soon, I'll scream. Ditto those mad web sites that take you round in circles but never to the actual page with the actual address so that you can actually write a letter to these people because nothing else is working. Worst culprits? HM tax, swiftly followed by teachers pensions. We are slowly getting rid of all the stuff we aren't taking. I'll be so glad when it's all done and I really can relax. D day is a week today. 

Hi Fisher1 ! How exciting that you're finally almost on your way! I can just imagine how you feel, there are so many emotions. We are settled in Sydney's Hawkesbury District and very happy with our decision (it's more affordable than the rest of Sydney but still close enough to everything we need). I'll be interested to see where you settle, and wish you all the happiness you so deserve! 

Good luck, enjoy and wish you all the best

Amanda

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AMP said:

No worries.  But, 11 months insurance does work out quite pricey, particularly when you really don't need cover for the intervening months (and this will be particularly the case if you take out extra health insurance whilst you are in Australia). This issue has been seriously troubling me over the last few days.  I think though that I now have the solution.  Try QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd.  That one seems to meet the bill.  It will give cover for non residents for single trips to and from Australia. So, this is good not only for return trips to the Uk but also for interim trips, to NZ or wherever!  It also has an option for single trips to Australia.  I learned about them by looking at the travel section of this forum.  Have to confess that I am very lax about looking at other blogs on here, particularly since I am a bit hooked on this particular parent visa forum which always seems to come up with the answers which are most relevant to us! 

Don't think I will take out extra health ins whilst there. These policies cover you for medical etc and you just produce their ins policy details if you go to hospital etc and don't give the hospital your NHS details or passport they say.  Another quandary ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Good luck Fisher1.  I wish you and your family the very best of wishes and good luck to you all.   Please let us all know how you get on and thanks for all the tips.

I have got about 6-10 months left of waiting that is if they keep to the 33 months.  Fingers crossed.

Enjoy

• Like 2

Hiya Julie, 

Good to hear from you too. I've been watching these posts and remembering what we went through back in the day! I cannot believe the delays now.  Thank goodness it's all in the past for us now but Ifeel very bad for all now waiting because we remember the frustrations. I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about settling, working, insurances, shopping, banking  and the big move etc. Hope you're all doing brilliantly Julie  ? And the family's all well. 

Have a fab weekend 

Amanda 

• Like 3