Guest guest36187

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help as I find the diac site very confusing! My partner is being sponsored by an employer (457) for 4 years. Do you know at what point we can apply for a permanent visa and the most important thing when we could apply for a visa for my mum. We would only be renting a house for the first 2 years, so I'm unsure what would be a classed as 'settled' according to the diac website. I have read about the contributionary parent visa - any idea of how much that would cost and timescales?

Any help would be great! Apologies as I am not familiar with the visa terminology yet!

Thank you,

Paula

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help as I find the diac site very confusing! My partner is being sponsored by an employer (457) for 4 years. Do you know at what point we can apply for a permanent visa and the most important thing when we could apply for a visa for my mum. We would only be renting a house for the first 2 years, so I'm unsure what would be a classed as 'settled' according to the diac website. I have read about the contributionary parent visa - any idea of how much that would cost and timescales?

Any help would be great! Apologies as I am not familiar with the visa terminology yet!

Thank you,

Paula

Hi Paula

I can tell you my SIL and daughter went on a 457 they applied for and got perm residency after 2 years. As soon as they were perm residents they were able to sponsor us on a CPV 143.

Hope that helps a little :wink:

Phoebe

Thank you,

Paula

Hello Paula

It's the wrong thread to enquire about 457 visas generally, but once you have permanent residence, whether or not you are settled depends on a number of factors. There is a guideline that you need to have been a permanent resident for 2 years, but if you have been working and living in the country for some time before gaining permanent residence, that fact might be taken into account in determining whether you are "settled". It's therefore possible that your mum could apply for a CPV shortly after you obtain permanent residence - not before. Renting accommodation is part of the evidence of being settled I think. Have a look at Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News.

It seems to be about 18 months from application to CO these days for a CPV.

Charges - see the DIAC website Parent Visa Charges and be aware of the need for a $10,000 bond on top of the visa fees.

You can see a sample of timelines on Australian migration, contributory parent visa, information and progress tracker - click a few times on "Applications in progress" if it looks a bit jumbled, something I'm working on to fix.

Good luck

Steve

Guest sirmatt101
Only once and Sirmatt had already validated his visa on a previous trip :policeman:.

I believe he asked Singapore Airlines pretty please :wubclub: and they upped the normal 20kg to 25kg :shocked:, it appears he misjudged the weight of Marmite he was taking but Singapore Airlines have been sympathetic :yes:, not sure if they would of viewed an excess of Vegemite with the same degree of leniency :nah:.

Luckily when we booked online & chose our seats, we also ordered VEGEMITETARIAN meals so were very happy :biggrin:

Now ensconsed in a hotel in Singapore, must say the SIA A380 was brilliant, loads of leg room as we had booked seats with a gap in front (£32 extra each), food was non stop, plus was very smooth. I would rate it as best aircraft I have been on!

Of to sleep again now, try and get body clock into correct time zone :SLEEP:

Cheers

Matt

Now ensconsed in a hotel in Singapore, must say the SIA A380 was brilliant, loads of leg room as we had booked seats with a gap in front..........

Cheers

Matt

Isn't that where the engine should be? :biglaugh:

Sorry, forgot you are not with Qantas. :laugh:

Missing you already. :notworthy:

Lonesome Les. :cry:

Hi SirMatt101

Hope the next leg of your journey goes as smoothly!

We have just booked with singapore airlines and have also got the extra legroom seats upstairs. (Reasoning that it was the nearest we could afford to business class?????)

Can you say which hotel you were in and whether it was worth it?

Good luck to you in your new life, wish we were doing the same , rather than just a 2 month holiday.

Cheers Pam

Luckily when we booked online & chose our seats, we also ordered VEGEMITETARIAN meals so were very happy :biggrin:

Now ensconsed in a hotel in Singapore, must say the SIA A380 was brilliant, loads of leg room as we had booked seats with a gap in front (£32 extra each), food was non stop, plus was very smooth. I would rate it as best aircraft I have been on!

Of to sleep again now, try and get body clock into correct time zone :SLEEP:

Cheers

Matt

I'm soooo jealous :wideeyed:

We are heading out in April for 8 weeks :biggrin: but then we have to come back and wait AGAIN...:cry:

We stayed over in Singapore for 2 nights last time and must say felt better when we got to Oz so doing it again this time:wink:

Good luck on the last leg :cool:

Phoebe

Hi

Our application was only acknowledged on 3rd September 2010 so not for a while yet unfortunatly :cry:

However we are going in April for 8 weeks, my daughter is expecting our third grandchild and they are having the christening while we are there so really looking forward to it :jiggy:it will also give us some time to do a bit of a rekki of areas close to them where we might like to live/work etc.

They are on the Southern Gold Coast about 1 hour drive from Brisbane, where are you heading?

Phoebe

Heading somewhere in Victoria-depends where my son gets work. Congratulations on your expected new arrival.

Exciting times for you.

Compared to us your plans are well advanced!!:sad:

Best of luck

MKF

Hi Wilma

Good luck with everything :biggrin:

Do you mind me asking, I noticed you had your CO allocated in October 2010 but VAC request was 3 months later, did you ask or were given an extension to pay the 2nd VAC?

Just trying to look at all the options :smile:

Phoebe

Hi there Phoebe, we had problems with Centrelink they required an additional sponsor and because there is not an actual Centrerlink office in the Gold Coast its only an agent or something I think everything was getting sent snail mail so we had to get 2 extensions one for 21 days then another one for 28 day, but its all sorted now thank god, now just got to hand over the big bucks now. pity the exchange rate was not better though.

Wilma

Hi there Phoebe, we had problems with Centrelink they required an additional sponsor and because there is not an actual Centrerlink office in the Gold Coast its only an agent or something I think everything was getting sent snail mail so we had to get 2 extensions one for 21 days then another one for 28 day, but its all sorted now thank god, now just got to hand over the big bucks now. pity the exchange rate was not better though.

Wilma

Ah that explains it then thanks :biggrin:

Yes its a bit scarey it was 2.6 the first time we went on a visit :mad:

Good Luck with it all :wink:

Phoebe

Guest guest36187

Sorry Phoebe, I dont know the answer to that. Why do you think you`ll fail???

You could try asking one of the agents on here, they would be able to give you a solid answer to that question. x

Guest guest36187

Sorry Phoebe, Dont know the answer to that question. Do you think you will fail??? Try asking one of the agents. They should be able to give you a solid answer to that question.

Good Luck x

Sorry Phoebe, Dont know the answer to that question. Do you think you will fail??? Try asking one of the agents. They should be able to give you a solid answer to that question.

Good Luck x

I'm just a bit worried about an ongoing health problem trying to cover all angles :wink:

Phoebe

Guest sirmatt101
Hi SirMatt101

Hope the next leg of your journey goes as smoothly!

We have just booked with singapore airlines and have also got the extra legroom seats upstairs. (Reasoning that it was the nearest we could afford to business class?????)

Can you say which hotel you were in and whether it was worth it?

Good luck to you in your new life, wish we were doing the same , rather than just a 2 month holiday.

Cheers Pam

Hi Pam, we are staying in The Royal @ Queens Hotel. Its on Queens street, quite near centre of town. We booked on the SIA website same time as the flights, left hand side is an option for SSH (singapore stop over holidays) and depending on the value range you chose, then get choice of several hotels to pick, so would advise to chose whilst looking at a map, so not out of town!

Of to brekkie now! Think I will have chicken chop suey!! :shocked:

Cheers

matt

Does anyone know if there is any kind of 'appeal system' if one of you fail the medical.......:huh:

Phoebe

Yes, there is, Phoebe. If you look back on (now-departed) G'wobbler's posts some way back on this forum you should see reference to it as her mother went through the appeal process and won. I don't know the details, but PM me if you don't find anything and I may be able to put you on track.

Mike

Yes, there is, Phoebe. If you look back on (now-departed) G'wobbler's posts some way back on this forum you should see reference to it as her mother went through the appeal process and won. I don't know the details, but PM me if you don't find anything and I may be able to put you on track.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for that :biggrin:

Will try and have a search back through when I get a minutes quiet time :swoon:

Phoebe

Hi Paula, (regarding a visa for your Mum) or any other parents wanting to join their family, if you contact 07 32572272 Australian Migrations in Brisbane then you won't look back, we joined our family very quickly , they advised us every step of the way , we did sign up with another agent that told us we would have to wait 2 years before we could even apply. Not the case. we could'nt have done it without them.

Good luck with your move

Hi Pam, we are staying in The Royal @ Queens Hotel. Its on Queens street, quite near centre of town. We booked on the SIA website same time as the flights, left hand side is an option for SSH (singapore stop over holidays) and depending on the value range you chose, then get choice of several hotels to pick, so would advise to chose whilst looking at a map, so not out of town!

Of to brekkie now! Think I will have chicken chop suey!! :shocked:

Cheers

matt

Thanks for that Matt.

Decided we are too 'chicken' to leave the airport, so have booked the Crowne Plaza, apparently in T3?!

Will take the tourbus trip to see bits of the city on the way out and not have a hotel at all.

Hope you enjoyed your weirdo brekkie:wink:

Cheers Pam

Guest sirmatt101
Thanks for that Matt.

Decided we are too 'chicken' to leave the airport, so have booked the Crowne Plaza, apparently in T3?!

Will take the tourbus trip to see bits of the city on the way out and not have a hotel at all.

Hope you enjoyed your weirdo brekkie:wink:

Cheers Pam

Our thoughts were that we maybe wouldn't be coming here again for a while, so do as much as possible in the time available!! :daydreaming: So if you stay in the heart of the place can see & do loads, even eat weirdo breakfasts. Just been on the Singapore Flyer this morning, its like the London Eye, only taller, biggest in the world, & that was after chicken chop suey :shocked:

Cheers

Matt

Hi All

This might be of interest to other visa applicants who have switched from the 103 normal parent visa to the 173 or 143 CPV.

I managed to speak to a very nice lady at the Parent Visa Centre today, who confirmed a rumour we had heard that our date of lodgement is 9th March 2010 (which is the lodgement date of our 103 visa) and not 18th June, (which is the lodgement date of our 173 visa). She confirmed that at the current rate of processing we can therefore expect a case officer around June/ July this year, whereas we had been anticipating November.

However, she also said that they were looking at speeding up processing and 'carrying out batch processing' (whatever that means?) and that we may even get a case officer before June - which is good news for everybody.

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com
Does anyone know if there is any kind of 'appeal system' if one of you fail the medical.......:huh:

Phoebe

hi Phoebe

yes, there are appeal options should by some chance you fail your medicals. When I went for mine in (Labrador on the gold coast) I was asked if I took any medications and I said just half a sleeping pill - the DOCTOR asked me very seriously why I took such a thing, I said - to help me sleep - and that seemed to placate her!! then she asked me to squat - I do have trouble squatting - not major problems just one knee is a bit wobbly! - I play tennis three or four times a week - reasonably well and am slim and fit - BUT she sent me off to Brisbane for further tests! I passed but no thanks to her.!

Should you fail though, there is a Migration Review Tribunal which would cost around $1400, if that didn't work there is ministerial intervention......................it would all take a while but there are appeals available. However, I wouldn't dwell on that if I were you, be positive and things should go well - are you having your meds done in the UK or in australia?

........................there is a very nice restaurant on the water by Robina town centre - it is Italian I think - let's have lunch! we'll be there for Easter all being well!

take care

audie

hi Phoebe

yes, there are appeal options should by some chance you fail your medicals. When I went for mine in (Labrador on the gold coast) I was asked if I took any medications and I said just half a sleeping pill - the DOCTOR asked me very seriously why I took such a thing, I said - to help me sleep - and that seemed to placate her!! then she asked me to squat - I do have trouble squatting - not major problems just one knee is a bit wobbly! - I play tennis three or four times a week - reasonably well and am slim and fit - BUT she sent me off to Brisbane for further tests! I passed but no thanks to her.!

Should you fail though, there is a Migration Review Tribunal which would cost around $1400, if that didn't work there is ministerial intervention......................it would all take a while but there are appeals available. However, I wouldn't dwell on that if I were you, be positive and things should go well - are you having your meds done in the UK or in australia?

........................there is a very nice restaurant on the water by Robina town centre - it is Italian I think - let's have lunch! we'll be there for Easter all being well!

take care

audie

Hi Audie

Thanks for your reply really appreciate it :biggrin:

We get there Easter weekend but not sure what is happening as yet as baby is due around that time so cant make any plans till I actually get there :goofy:

Will be having meds done in the UK :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Guest sirmatt101
Hi All

This might be of interest to other visa applicants who have switched from the 103 normal parent visa to the 173 or 143 CPV.

I managed to speak to a very nice lady at the Parent Visa Centre today, who confirmed a rumour we had heard that our date of lodgement is 9th March 2010 (which is the lodgement date of our 103 visa) and not 18th June, (which is the lodgement date of our 173 visa). She confirmed that at the current rate of processing we can therefore expect a case officer around June/ July this year, whereas we had been anticipating November.

However, she also said that they were looking at speeding up processing and 'carrying out batch processing' (whatever that means?) and that we may even get a case officer before June - which is good news for everybody.

That certainly is good news for yourselves and everyone else. Does this put you into panic mode or happy mode?

Cheers

Matt