Guest guest36187

Hi to you all. Ive tried to find out if my questions have already been discussed in the thread, but havent seen so far. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

A bit of background - Spoke to Dad today, who informed me they are closing down where he works and are looking at placing at another office, but it may result in redundancy. He semi retired Feb 09 and has been working part time in his role since. When we moved out to Melb Sept 09, Dad was interested and managed to get some basic info about parent visas. Im aware that some may have changed so i thought it would be best to get some up to date info.

Dad has skills as a mechanic and about 30+ yrs in the prison service. He would be happy to continue working, plus he will have his pension every month paid to him.

Im the only child so 100% of his offspring are perm residents in Aus. He will turn 58yrs in Feb

My confusion lays with what visa is the most appropriate to go for. I know there are costs involved, any idea on what that might be? Can the visa be applied for while he is here on a visiting/holiday visa? if so, would that offer him a bridging visa? (is there such a thing as an onshore parent visa?) Is an agent needed or is it simple enough to do it yourself?

Thanks in advance, Kelly. :clown-smile:

Hi Kelly

There are 3 parent visa's avilable but only worth consideration. A 173 temoprary parents visa and then upgrade to a 143 or go for a 143 permanent visa straight away. The decision is more about urgency and finance. We are applying for a 173 because of the exchange rate at the moment. You can get visitors visa's for up to year's duration. I do not know details but other will as they have used these visa's. I do not beleive you can work on any visitor visa but again others will help and if they do answer will help me also.

You can use an agent but many do not, it depends how confident you feel about the process.

The process time for both 143 and 173 is about the same at around 18 months from application to grant. Booklet No 3 from the immi website is very good and will answer many questions.

Then of course there's us

regards

pete

Hi Kelly,

Most of us with kids in Aus go for either the CPV143 or the temporary 173 as this is the best route for most of us. The aged parent takes aprox 20 yrs, so no good for Dad. The 143 and 173 both ultimately cost approx £40k depending on the exchange rate, but with the 173 you only pay half to start and the rest to upgrade within 2 years. I do know you cannot apply for the 143 onshore ,but dont know about the 173. The best person to help you is Gill (Gollywobbler) who is an expert on these visas and has helped us get ours and a lot of other besides. She hopefully will pick up your post and reply quickly. I am sure there are lots of others who will help you get all info you need. Dont be afraid to ask any questions as there are many who will know the answers.

Good luck

Sandy

Hi to you all. Ive tried to find out if my questions have already been discussed in the thread, but havent seen so far. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

A bit of background - Spoke to Dad today, who informed me they are closing down where he works and are looking at placing at another office, but it may result in redundancy. He semi retired Feb 09 and has been working part time in his role since. When we moved out to Melb Sept 09, Dad was interested and managed to get some basic info about parent visas. Im aware that some may have changed so i thought it would be best to get some up to date info.

Dad has skills as a mechanic and about 30+ yrs in the prison service. He would be happy to continue working, plus he will have his pension every month paid to him.

Im the only child so 100% of his offspring are perm residents in Aus. He will turn 58yrs in Feb

My confusion lays with what visa is the most appropriate to go for. I know there are costs involved, any idea on what that might be? Can the visa be applied for while he is here on a visiting/holiday visa? if so, would that offer him a bridging visa? (is there such a thing as an onshore parent visa?) Is an agent needed or is it simple enough to do it yourself?

Hi

The best thing is to have a look at Booklet 3 on Parent Migration which gives most of the information and compares the visas as well. You can get this from the DIAC site www.immi.gov.au

Page 14 states that the 143 Contributory Parent Visa and the 173 (temporary CPV) can be applied for either in or outside Australia. Unfortunately there is no bridging visa for the 143 and 173. This only applies if you apply for an aged CPV and one partner needs to be over 65 for this.

You can apply for a 12 month visitor visa, but then you cannot work. Would it be possible for your father to get sponsored by an employer on a temporary 457 work visa? This might be another way to go and he can stay in Australia for up to 4 years. He could apply for a CPV and would be covered by the 457 until this was granted. I don't really know a lot about the 457 but if you post in the general immigration forum I am sure someone can point you in the right direction. I think it is possible for the 457 to be granted reasonably quickly.

Guest sirmatt101
Just a request to all the Poms who are now in Aus, who did you use for removals, were they good, and what was the price like??

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Hi, go to http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97834-what-removals-company-should-we-use.html there are 4 pages of recent discussion on removals. Also try the search at the top of the page, typr in removals and it will bring up loads.

Cheers

Matt

Hi, go to http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97834-what-removals-company-should-we-use.html there are 4 pages of recent discussion on removals. Also try the search at the top of the page, type in removals and it will bring up loads.

Cheers

Matt

You beat me to it Matt, just got back from the Meds, they didn't send for an ambulance to take us home so we can't be in too bad shape. :eek:

Just a request to all the Poms who are now in Aus, who did you use for removals, were they good, and what was the price like??

:idea: Nothing to do with removals, Steve, but at the moment with the better rate, it is now £1600 cheaper to buy the $s than to pay in £s in London.

If this rate holds and we are offered the visa we would buy the $s with UKForex or one of the brokers, that would be sent to our son's bank account and then he would send a bank draft to Perth.

Thanks to all that have replied to my post ( it's ratchet on my OH's log in):biggrin:. The links are very helpful. I will look into it and see which way dad feels he can go.

I've applied for 2 visas without assistance so I think dad will be able to work it out......:eek:

In relation to 457, I think he would fall outside of the age limit. Think it's 45 yrs and under.

Thanks again!!

Kelly

Hi

The best thing is to have a look at Booklet 3 on Parent Migration which gives most of the information and compares the visas as well. You can get this from the DIAC site www.immi.gov.au

Page 14 states that the 143 Contributory Parent Visa and the 173 (temporary CPV) can be applied for either in or outside Australia. Unfortunately there is no bridging visa for the 143 and 173. This only applies if you apply for an aged CPV and one partner needs to be over 65 for this.

You can apply for a 12 month visitor visa, but then you cannot work. Would it be possible for your father to get sponsored by an employer on a temporary 457 work visa? This might be another way to go and he can stay in Australia for up to 4 years. He could apply for a CPV and would be covered by the 457 until this was granted. I don't really know a lot about the 457 but if you post in the general immigration forum I am sure someone can point you in the right direction. I think it is possible for the 457 to be granted reasonably quickly.

I know you've been redirected, but just a quick answer, we used pickfords. Cost about 4 k I think. They were very good. As long as keep in contact with them when you land in oz.

G'Day Kelly and welcome

I don't like to contradict other contributors, but some of the information you've been offered is a little wrong.

Firstly, I'm sad to say that Gollywobbler (Gill) – who undoubtedly is the fount of all knowledge on this subject – no longer contributes to this forum, for reasons that it's not my place to expand on. However, you may well find her still on PiA, the equivalent site for Adelaide – you'll have to guess its full name, in case it is censored.

Secondly, your Dad is too young for an Aged Parent Visa of any kind – it has to be a simple "Parent Visa". (I think he is also too old for a 457 skilled migrant visa – but do check.) There are both onshore and offshore versions of this, and both Contributory (big fee; about 18–20 months wait) and Non-Contributory (small fee, up to 20 years wait).

He can apply for a Non-Contrib visa onshore (ie, during a visit to you) –*but only if his visitor's visa (with which he enters Oz) does not have a "no further stay" restriction endorsed on it, and that to some extent is a matter of pot luck. Nor can he enter Oz "with the intention" of applying for a permanent visa – it has to be something he decides to do while he is there. :rolleyes: In that case, a bridging visa – to cover the period until the application is decided – is normally given, but I'm not sure what health-care benefits or work restrictions are attached – you need to check.

Contributory visas can also be applied for on- or offshore, but similar restrictions as above may apply. (Maybe some other member can elucidate?)

The first thing both you and he should do is read thoroughly the guide put out by the Dept of Immigration – see Parent Migration Booklet.

Most people on this forum, I think it's fair to say, don't use an agent.

Good luck, Mike

Hi Mike, Many thanks for your reply.

I havent been on here for a while and didnt know that Gill no longer posted! What a shame. I'll not ask why - I will go and find her though, as you say she is the fount of all knowledge.

I came over here on a 457 initially and I think dad is outside of the age ruling - Im sure i had to sign to say i was under 45yrs. Im on my way to find the info on the immi site to do some reading!

Thanks Again

Kelly

G'Day Kelly and welcome

I don't like to contradict other contributors, but some of the information you've been offered is a little wrong.

Firstly, I'm sad to say that Gollywobbler (Gill) – who undoubtedly is the fount of all knowledge on this subject – no longer contributes to this forum, for reasons that it's not my place to expand on. However, you may well find her still on PiA, the equivalent site for Adelaide – you'll have to guess its full name, in case it is censored.

Secondly, your Dad is too young for an Aged Parent Visa of any kind – it has to be a simple "Parent Visa". (I think he is also too old for a 457 skilled migrant visa – but do check.) There are both onshore and offshore versions of this, and both Contributory (big fee; about 18–20 months wait) and Non-Contributory (small fee, up to 20 years wait).

He can apply for a Non-Contrib visa onshore (ie, during a visit to you) –*but only if his visitor's visa (with which he enters Oz) does not have a "no further stay" restriction endorsed on it, and that to some extent is a matter of pot luck. Nor can he enter Oz "with the intention" of applying for a permanent visa – it has to be something he decides to do while he is there. :rolleyes: In that case, a bridging visa – to cover the period until the application is decided – is normally given, but I'm not sure what health-care benefits or work restrictions are attached – you need to check.

Contributory visas can also be applied for on- or offshore, but similar restrictions as above may apply. (Maybe some other member can elucidate?)

The first thing both you and he should do is read thoroughly the guide put out by the Dept of Immigration – see Parent Migration Booklet.

Most people on this forum, I think it's fair to say, don't use an agent.

Good luck, Mike

Thanks to all that have replied to my post ( it's ratchet on my OH's log in):biggrin:. The links are very helpful. I will look into it and see which way dad feels he can go.

I've applied for 2 visas without assistance so I think dad will be able to work it out......:eek:

In relation to 457, I think he would fall outside of the age limit. Think it's 45 yrs and under.

Thanks again!!

Kelly

There is no age limit for the 457 visa. This only applies to the permanent skilled visas such as 175 and 176. It might be worth having a chat with a reputable migration agent. I understand they will normally give you 15 minutes of their time by phone without charge. There is a reputable agent who posts on here.

Can anyone please tell me what the criteria is to qualify for first time home owners of property in NSW,

Regards

Ernest

I think its the first property you buy in Oz but it has to be under $500K I think.....and then you have to live in it for 6 months

Hi,

all can anyone help me with this I am really confused, have just been on the department of immi queue calculator and it tells me that there are only 20 people in front of us,well there are more on the tracker list from the UK alone than this ?? also when looking at some other dates other than ours,(from the tracker list ) they do not have queue dates, is the site accurate or am I getting duff figures.Has anyone else experience of this, cheers Mike.

Hi,

all can anyone help me with this I am really confused, have just been on the department of immi queue calculator and it tells me that there are only 20 people in front of us,well there are more on the tracker list from the UK alone than this ?? also when looking at some other dates other than ours,(from the tracker list ) they do not have queue dates, is the site accurate or am I getting duff figures.Has anyone else experience of this, cheers Mike.

Hi Mike and Mavis

Have you applied for a Contributory Parent Visa? The parent visa tracker on the DIAC website doesn't apply to and work for Contributory Parent Visas. There is not really a 'queue' on the DIAC website for these. The calculator applies to the normal parent visa 103. When applications for the 103 receive a case officer they are processed, but as there are not enough visas for everyone who applies (currently about 1,000 each year) they are given a queue date. Also, remember that Steve's tracker is only a sample of the people who have applied for the CPV and he very kindly set this up so we could get an idea of time scales and progress.

Is there anyone on here, who already has their visa, who originally applied for the 103 and then switched to the 143? We originally applied for the normal 103 vis and then a few months later decided to go for it and switch to the 173/143 visa.

I have heard a rumour, via a friend of someone who did this and was told that they only waited about 15 months for a case officer, but from the date of their original application for the 103, which has rather thrown our plan a little.

If this is the case, we would be looking at getting a case officer around June/July but going from the date we switched to the 173 this would be around November. I have emailed the parent centre in Perth, but as usual didn't really get an answer to my question - they just said they were currently processing applications from September 2009. I have emailed again asking for more clarification to my question and am awaiting a reply.

As we are currently making plans for a visit to Australia in June, we are trying to work out when we would need to go offshore etc.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and can shed any light?

Thanks

Linda

I don't think that is correct - so long as the work test can be satisfied it is possible to transfer UK pension benefits into an Australian superannuation fund, and derive the resulting tax benefits.

Note that a transfer of UK pension benefits into Aussie super cannot take place once a pension is in the payment or annuity phase.

Best regards.

I believe that your private pension must be transferred within six months of arrival which is when the pension is due to start payment. Has anyone had any super company recommended to them. This to me seems to be a minefield as Companies that arrange it for you get commission paid to them and I don't know if this will lessen the amount of money you receive.

Hi there, just to keep you updated we paid our AoS on the 7th Jan and they have just asked for the 2nd visa charge yesterday, I think we will transfer the money to my stepson's account in oz, think we might get a better rate that way.

Steve can you update the tracker please.

Thanks

Wilma

Hi Mike and Mavis

Have you applied for a Contributory Parent Visa? The parent visa tracker on the DIAC website doesn't apply to and work for Contributory Parent Visas. There is not really a 'queue' on the DIAC website for these. The calculator applies to the normal parent visa 103. When applications for the 103 receive a case officer they are processed, but as there are not enough visas for everyone who applies (currently about 1,000 each year) they are given a queue date. Also, remember that Steve's tracker is only a sample of the people who have applied for the CPV and he very kindly set this up so we could get an idea of time scales and progress.

Hi, linday,yes we applied for a CPV and the links on the queue calc specifically state CPV 173 stream all the other queue options are listed also.

Hi there, just to keep you updated we paid our AoS on the 7th Jan and they have just asked for the 2nd visa charge yesterday, I think we will transfer the money to my stepson's account in oz, think we might get a better rate that way.

Steve can you update the tracker please.

Thanks

Wilma

Using a quote from UKForex as of now ($1.59) they would charge £43,160 for the $68,660 needed for 2x 2nd Vac payment, if paid in London the cost is £44,620.

The forex rate moves around all the time and can change by a few hundred in a day but the London rate is set for 6 months.

The other option is your credit card payment to Perth but you never know what rate the c.c. charge until you have paid it and most people have to preload their card.

Superannuation (Pensions) in Australia - Aussiemove.com

Pension Transfers into Australia | Exfin - The Australian Expatriate's Gateway

Hi

The above web sites should give a good start to the research. The companies are in no way recommended as I have no experiance of them but have used the info on their site to answer some of my questions. You can move you pension savings to Oz at any time after grant of your visa. If you move the allowed amount within 6 months then the Gov does not pose any penalties and you can move up to 3 years allowance at once but not allowed to add to it for 3 years. Any money moved after this time will have penalties applied " to the growth in the value of the fund".

I am talking to one of my pension fund managers as they are global to investigate moving more easily and cheaply.

You will have to consider how much you are wanting to move as to which way to jump but MY main reason for moving is that currently britain makes you spend all of your fund and so it is all "lost". If you have not bought an annuity then your estate gets it less the tax at 55% I think. Oz allows drawdown with any funds left paid to your estate so the kids can have whats left with minimal tax, I THINK and hope.

My comment would be talk to lots of providers and take your time when you can.

pete

Guest sirmatt101
Hi, linday,yes we applied for a CPV and the links on the queue calc specifically state CPV 173 stream all the other queue options are listed also.

As Linday says, the queue calculator is used at present levels of applicants for 103 parent visa only, even though the drop down window shows all the other visa classes! The options are there if the applications for other visa classes were at a level that Case Officers were being allocated but there were not enough visa places. So basically the queue calculator applies only once a Case officer has been allocated, not before, but I repeat only to subclass 103 at the present time.

Cheers

Matt