Guest guest36187

And A Happy New Year to you too, many thanks for all your comments on this site and others. Also thanks for the wonderful Tracker, it has been a real help and encouragment to us. Hope to be in Busselton, south of Perth, WA in early May. Steve and Aileen (framboy)

And from me too, to all the CPVers I have "talked" to over the last 18 months-whether you are already there or patiently waiting for the CO, very best wishes for a Happy 2011

Fiz

Happy New Year to everyone, just thought would ask to all those who have made the move down under, which removal firm they used, were they ok, were they the cheapest when you got quotes?????

Hello; we arrived with the regulation 40kg + hand baggage. It's been interesting to see what we could do without really! But until we know we can put roots down here (see "exchange rate section") we're hanging on to our little place in the UK.

But one day we too would be interested in experiences of shipping stuff; and if the exchange rate continues like this, there may well be a small shipment when we next visit the shops in the UK!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steveandeileen. Happy new year to you as well at the top entire "pomzinoz family".

I assume you are travelling from the UK. If from South Africa let me know and I will tell you of those companies from here.

Regards

Ernest

Happy New Year to everyone, just thought would ask to all those who have made the move down under, which removal firm they used, were they ok, were they the cheapest when you got quotes?????

We used Doree Bonner. They were not the cheapest but only by a couple of hundred pounds. We felt they seemed "more professional" than the cheaper quote (we had six quotes in total).

The team that did the packing were brilliant. Everything was packed and loaded into a 40ft container in 3 1/2 days. The container left for Felixstowe on Oct. 8th and arrived in Sydney on Dec 6th and cleared customs and quarantine about ten days later. (The only thing that required fumigation was our grandmother clock, which they said had borer - maybe true 200 years ago. It cost AU$385 to have treated or $88 to have it destroyed.)

Our quote included up to eight weeks free storage in Sydney with Grace Removals who handle all Doree Bonner's business in Australia. We are waiting with bated breath to see what condition our belongings are in when they are delivered to our new house on Jan 13th.

We will keep you updated when we have everything unpacked.

Ian & Julie

...The only thing that required fumigation was our grandmother clock, which they said had borer - maybe true 200 years ago. It cost AU$385 to have treated or $88 to have it destroyed.....

Ian & Julie

Interesting, they feel destroying a Grandmother clock is easier and cheaper than a B&Q bargain Christmas tree. :wacko:

P.S. how much was your 40ft container and from where in the UK?

Interesting, they feel destroying a Grandmother clock is easier and cheaper than a B&Q bargain Christmas tree. :wacko:

I think (but I may be wrong) this may be because the fumigation or destroying is arranged by the firm handling the importation and therefore they can add on whatever costs for handling etc. that they feel are necessary. AQIS just stipulate which items need fumigating/destroying.

We moved from Carterton in Oxfordshire.

The cost was £7532 plus approx £2150 for insurance.

Ian

I know that B.E. has their parent visa thread......why dont we have one?

All parent visa applicants.....here is your own thread in order to ask questions, chat, moan and groan....whatever you wish!

Good Luck to you all and looking fwd to hearing from you x

Hi, Glad to join in. We are just about to start the process of applying for CPV at a total cost of $95,165. We will have all our family living in Oz by the middle of this year, so don't have any choice really but to go ourselves. I am a nurse(with Aus registration) so hopefully will get work when I get there to pay some of this back. Very hard to get sponsorship at my age (56).

If there are any other parents in the same position , we would love to hear from you. This is such a life changing decision.

MKF

Guest sirmatt101

Our 20ft container cost £3900 from Nottinghamshire. I heard a rumour that the B&Q Xmas tree was last seen in the AQIS rest room decorated with lights from someone elses shipment!! :biggrin:

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101
And Happy New Year from here in Melbourne, where it is already hangover day, ie Jan 1. Yesterday was warmish, 41.1 max with a wind resembling a jet engine exhaust. Fortunately these things never last long and we'll be back to a more civilised 27 today.

Enjoy the celebrations over in the west!

Bets wishes

Steve

Hi Steve & a Happy New Year to you & yours! Hangovers are well gone here, just sorting out last minute stuff and how to get the 30kgs excess to Oz!!

Cheers

Matt

Hi, Glad to join in. We are just about to start the process of applying for CPV at a total cost of $95,165. We will have all our family living in Oz by the middle of this year, so don't have any choice really but to go ourselves. I am a nurse(with Aus registration) so hopefully will get work when I get there to pay some of this back. Very hard to get sponsorship at my age (56).

If there are any other parents in the same position , we would love to hear from you. This is such a life changing decision.

MKF

Hello and Welcome MKF,

It is a life changing decision but the best one you could make and is there any other choice than to be with all of your lovely family. I also have 100% family in Perth and have just got my visa and moving in Feb. Of course you will get the colly wobbles but be positive and brave. You will be surprised at how many people say they envy you :wink:

Having had daughter achieve PR in December she has sponsored us for CPV 143 and an unreliable internet connection had us print out forms and decided to apply onshore.We took forms to Dandenong where we met a 4 hour Q and were informed that no help/advice would be given,the application forms would only be sent onto Perth processing centre,so we are back in Patterson Lakes about to post/courier the application.

We have a 676 Visa until May but would have liked to ask if they need ? Our birth certificates or will UK passports suffice?Do we need our daughters Birth Cert's? One has PR and the other a 2 year student visa for Oz so that should prove their residency here.Perhaps we will need our marriage certificate too but are in process of getting that.?

So we will post/courier our application and follow with these certificates and arrange Med/Police checks when asked for.Try and keep out of trouble meantime too although did so for last 62 years you never know what is round the corner!

Having had daughter achieve PR in December she has sponsored us for CPV 143 and an unreliable internet connection had us print out forms and decided to apply onshore.We took forms to Dandenong where we met a 4 hour Q and were informed that no help/advice would be given,the application forms would only be sent onto Perth processing centre,so we are back in Patterson Lakes about to post/courier the application.

We have a 676 Visa until May but would have liked to ask if they need ? Our birth certificates or will UK passports suffice?Do we need our daughters Birth Cert's? One has PR and the other a 2 year student visa for Oz so that should prove their residency here.Perhaps we will need our marriage certificate too but are in process of getting that.?

So we will post/courier our application and follow with these certificates and arrange Med/Police checks when asked for.Try and keep out of trouble meantime too although did so for last 62 years you never know what is round the corner!

Have you looked at the checklist for subclass 143 visa applications on the immi website?

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,looked at the check-list but as Immi have all our details on file for 676,PR & Student visa:all already granted would they need Birth cert?Says passports may do? also evidence of where offspring reside?quoted student visa granted on UK password & they have on record any departures.

So answers on file but have decided to lodge application (certificates in UK home,did not intend to apply onshore or would have taken with us)and send on certified copies ASAP

Hi Guys, Happy New Year to one all whatever side of the globe you're on.

Thanks to Durhamlad's post on the 'other side' it appears that the Oz government has felt sorry for UK visa applicants and set a rate of exchange for payment in the UK that today is just a bit higher than the floating rate.

If the web site is correct and they have set a rate of $1.538 then this will be the first time they have not dropped the rate below the floating rate at the start of the 6 month fix. :thumbup:

Currency Converter

At least there is a floor under the 2nd Vac payments for the next 6 months.

We are lucky on this site that there are some experts at getting the payment made in London as London put up lots of barriers last time this occurred.

I think this may help Framboy first.

Guest sirmatt101

Thanks to Durhamlad's post on the 'other side' it appears that the Oz government has felt sorry for UK visa applicants and set a rate of exchange for payment in the UK that today is just a bit higher than the floating rate.

If the web site is correct and they have set a rate of $1.538 then this will be the first time they have not dropped the rate below the floating rate at the start of the 6 month fix. :thumbup:

Currency Converter

We are lucky on this site that there are some experts at getting the payment made in London as London put up lots of barriers last time this occurred.

The exchange rate seems to be climbing a little at the moment, I wonder if the Qld floods have had some effect on it?

Cheers

Matt

The exchange rate seems to be climbing a little at the moment, I wonder if the Qld floods have had some effect on it?

Cheers

Matt

More likley the news from China who may just be slowing up.

Nice to see our London payment expert up and about. :biggrin:

We may be needing your help. :wubclub:

Guest sirmatt101

Cheers

Matt

Just had Commonwealth Bank email update at 1.54, and yes I did send my money last night when it was at 1.52, just cannot win!!

Cheers

Matt

MKF

Welcome to the thread. Even though quite a few parents on here are of retirement age some of us are hoping to get some kind of work in Australia in order to swell the coffers which have been seriously depleted by paying for the CPV!

Yes, it is a huge decision, especially with the exchange rate at the moment and I get the collywobbles at least twice a week at 3 o'clock in the morning as to whether we are doing the right thing! Fortunately the support and encouragement from the people on this thread and others helps immensely and we keep thinking what price to be with our family (our daughter is expecting our first grandchild in May).

As a nurse, I would imagine you will have no difficulty finding work.

Currency Converter

Following Lez advice, does anyone know the procedure for paying in London

Steve-could you update the tracker for me please as I got the visa letter today! (Paid 28th Dec, letter 4th Jan)

Do we still get red stars?!!!!

Regards

Fiz:jiggy:

Hello there. Congratulations! All updated and, yes, we still tag on a red star in the granted visa list. Should be platinum really.

Best wishes

Steve

Hello

Have a look at dima_fees - Australian High Commission.

There is a procedure then for getting the receipt to Perth to let your CO know you have paid. sirmatt101 went through this and will I'm sure not mind providing a quick summary of the steps.

Good luck.

Steve

I think we all expected some sanity to return to currencies in 2011, and a sort of correction seemed to get underway yesterday at last. The pity is that the dollar had climbed so high in December. If this trend continues however, the option to pay the final VAC in sterling will become attractive.

Sadly, part of the influence has been the flooding in Queensland, but there were other factors too which pointed to better economic conditions in the UK for example.

So, a good start to 2011 and let's hope for this to continue preferably in a measured way.

All the best

Steve

Guest sirmatt101

Hi, we paid our 2nd VAC in November 2009 through the London High Commission, they were not very experienced at it then, but I think they should be well up to speed by now!

You need to email them at london.cc************** and request a payment mandate, which they can either email or snail mail to you. I have an emailable copy if you pm me your email address. You need to fill in mandate with all details, especially file reference number, they only accept debit/credit card payments, or bankers draft, no personal cheques. The mandate then needs returned with copy of the payment request from your CO and a cover letter explaining what you are sending payment for. A copy of the receipt is required by your CO, or was in our case and he wouldn't accept a scanned copy or screen dump sent by the London HC!

We did ours whilst in Oz on holiday and by ommitting Immigration Dept out of the address they refused to accept the couriered documents!! In the end I was given an email address of a very nice lady in the London HC, who sorted it all out via email! It was quite a tense 2 or 3 weeks!

I would advise sending it by recorded or registered mail!

If there is anything else I can remember I will add it later!

Cheers

Matt