Guest guest36187

G'day from Down Under

We're staying with our good mates Pete and Marjie in St Ives (or S'Nives) on Sydney's North Shore. Pete, as mentioned in a post some time ago, in an exchange with Gill, is a family solicitor, and I'm planning to ask him a bit about Strata Title -- as puzzling to many Aussies as it is to Poms -- over a few beers one evening. If anything of particular interest comes up, I'll post it here.

But meanwhile I've had a chance to browse a few websites, which probably tell any non-lawyer all they would want to know, and a great deal more besides...! Bear in mind, however, that this kind of law is state-based, and varies from state to state. What's below is specifically NSW-centric.

First, and very simplistically, however, I think I can safely say that Strata Title is the most common method of ownership of multi-occupancy developments -- blocks of flats, town houses, even many offices -- in Australia. (Some blocks have "Company Title", but this is less common.) Each block has a "Body Corporate" -- of which all individual unit-owners are also members -- which owns the freehold and the fabric of the building. So in many ways it is like shared freehold in England. But individual owners don't have leases; they are in effect freeholders of their own unit, but are subject to the by-laws governing the block (which take the place of the various covenants included in leases in England). They don't pay ground rent, and there is no lease expiry date. One advantage over English leasehold, it seems to me, is that the terms of the by-laws are usually pretty-well standardised, and governed by state law.

In a strata block, common costs -- including upkeep, cleaning and redecorating of common parts, lift maintenance, etc etc -- are shared between the individual units in proportion to their "unit entitlement" -- so many parts per thousand -- and are collected by the Body Corporate or its managing agents in the form of quarterly Strata Fees. In addition, owners are responsible for their own council rates, water, gas, electricity and so on -- although some of these, such as hot water, may be a common service whose cost is shared.

Wikipedia has a general summary at Strata title - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first place to look for more detail is For everything you need to know about Strata Title in NSW...by Strataman. This is a BIG site with lots of subsections, and frankly probably contains all that anyone could want to know.

The NSW government itself also publishes a useful guide -- see http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/About_us/Publications/ft045.pdf. For a briefer summary, see http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/About_us/Publications/ft176.pdf. Also have a look at Strata schemes - NSW Fair Trading.

For any lawyers wanting it from the horse's mouth, see NSW Legislation

As I say, I (a non-lawyer) am most familiar with the situation in New South Wales, where we've bought a strata unit. An internet search will no doubt throw up similar guides to strata ownership in other states. But to state the bleedin' obvious, none of this is anything more than a general guide -- you'll need a local lawyer to explain the detail of specific situations.

Anyhow, I hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

All the best, Mike

Welcome to Oz folks!

The weather over here in Melbourne has been extreme to say the least. Chilly, scorching, humid, clear, drenching. We're getting the hang of it.

Best wishes

Steve

Oh yes, and I remember all those (Sydney) jokes about Melbourne having four seasons in one day!

Mike

Guest sirmatt101
Welcome to Oz folks!

The weather over here in Melbourne has been extreme to say the least. Chilly, scorching, humid, clear, drenching. We're getting the hang of it.

Best wishes

Steve

I hope that this is just a statement Steve, not a complaint? You are missing some really picturesque weather here, and its even keeping the campers at home!!

Cheers

Matt

I hope that this is just a statement Steve, not a complaint? You are missing some really picturesque weather here, and its even keeping the campers at home!!

Cheers

Matt

No no, of course not (nervous laughter). I can tolerate any temperature over 18 and less than 23. Not too much humidity, naturally.

We're really pleased to miss out on the picturesque stuff, Matt.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for that Mike.

Can you also give us a quick explanation of the real estate terminology. I get a bit confused with villas, duplexes and townhouses. How do they compare to our bungalows houses and semi detached?

It sounds like I am really stupid, but it does get confusing doesn't it?

Cheers pam

Thanks for that Mike.

Can you also give us a quick explanation of the real estate terminology. I get a bit confused with villas, duplexes and townhouses. How do they compare to our bungalows houses and semi detached?

It sounds like I am really stupid, but it does get confusing doesn't it?

Cheers pam

Hmm... you might have me there!

Don't know at all about villas, but a duplex is a two-storey flat -- ie, with an internal staircase between two floors. (BTW, quite a few blocks I have seen have duplex penthouses -- by only having half of each apartment on the top floor, the developer can squeeze in twice as many penthouses!)

Townhouses can be much the same as in UK, but I've seen some that are more like flats or duplexes but with their own front door direct from the exterior. I've also seen the term townhome, but don't think the difference is significant.

I don't think -- but I may be wrong -- that Aussies really distinguish between a house and a bungalow -- just a single-storey house. I do know that the term semi-attached is often used.

Yes, can be confusing; but I guess you learn by trial and error -- just don't sign anything without advice!!!

Best, Mike

PS: I've said before that my favourite bit of estate-agent-speak in Sydney is to claim "harbour glimpses".

Thanks Steve.

I would be most greatful if you could list me. On the 17th November 2009, our agent confirmed our papers ( for subclass 173 ) were received at the Perth Office.

Is there anything else you reqyuire of me.

Many thanks again

Ernest

For anyone who has got to trade £s to $s the terrible rate has just got a little less terrible this morning, just my 2 cents worth.

Would be nice if we could start seeing a 6 in the numbers again. :sad:

Awful Les. I've had to start shifting money and it is south of 1.6. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum, but one has to eat don't you know!

Grrrrr...

Guest sirmatt101
For anyone who has got to trade £s to $s the terrible rate has just got a little less terrible this morning, just my 2 cents worth.

Would be nice if we could start seeing a 6 in the numbers again. :sad:

I am watching it almost hourly Les, as I need to transfer some funds over for when we get there. I am almost afraid to go to sleep in case I miss a good rate!!

Cheers

Matt

CPV 143, Application Lodged 1st May 2008

Acknowledged 15th May 2008,Case Officer 2nd October 2009

2nd VAC Request 20/11/2009, Paid 30/11/, Grant 22/12/2009, Permanent Residence 29/01/2010, Off down under 23/01/2011

Welcome to Oz folks!

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve.

We have just got back from validating the visa and also experienced the weather with you, especially the tropical storms over the bay. Almost as much rain in 2 weeks as we would get in UK. It came hard yesterday landing at Heathrow in -2 degrees after leaving 30 degrees even if it is raining !!! Hope you have settled in and beginning to appreciate Melbourne.

regards

Sandy:arghh:

Hi Steve.

We have just got back from validating the visa and also experienced the weather with you, especially the tropical storms over the bay. Almost as much rain in 2 weeks as we would get in UK. It came hard yesterday landing at Heathrow in -2 degrees after leaving 30 degrees even if it is raining !!! Hope you have settled in and beginning to appreciate Melbourne.

regards

Sandy:arghh:

Welcome back :biggrin:

Phoebe x

Hi Steve.

regards

Sandy

I really sympathise Sandy. We're not missing that weather at all; today is almost perfect, breezy, not too hot. Long may it last.

We watch the weather forecasts there too, our daughter is suffering a bit in London!

All the best

Steve

Guest welshspark

Hi all,

we have just had our visa granted, and now my parents are looking to come as well, they are 60 and 65 could anybody shed some light on the visa options there are also the rough sort of cost and time scales that some of you have faced.

Hi all,

we have just had our visa granted, and now my parents are looking to come as well, they are 60 and 65 could anybody shed some light on the visa options there are also the rough sort of cost and time scales that some of you have faced.

Hi welschspark

Here is the link to DIAC to get you started:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

and the costs

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

There is also an assurance of support to pay which is $14000 for a couple. You get this back after 10 years and get interest on it.

It is taking about 15 months at the moment to get a case office for the contributory parent visa although as one of your parents is over 65 they would be eligible for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa but I am not sure about timescales. I am sure someone else will be able to answer for you.

Hi all,

Hi

Congratulation to you all :biggrin:

We have applied for the CPV143 (Contributry Parent Visa) that is the only way in for us personally apart from the CPV173 which, is similar to the 143 but is a temporary visa which can be updated to 143 at a later date however, we are a little younget than your parents 57 and 55 but I'm sure someone here will be able to advise you better.

Good luck to your parents as well :wink: please tell them to join this forum, we have learnt a lot from a lot on knowledgable people :notworthy:

Enjoy your new life in the sun.......although they have had a lot of rain in the past couple of weeks :biglaugh:

Phoebe

:idea:

Has anyone got a parachute for the £ to stop it falling so fast, since last Wednesday another £1000 is needed to pay for a 2nd Vac payment. :cry:

It's tough out here Les. I've had to move money in tranches, each time hoping the next will be better. But it never is. Roll on 2011 and beyond.

Guest sirmatt101
:idea:

Has anyone got a parachute for the £ to stop it falling so fast, since last Wednesday another £1000 is needed to pay for a 2nd Vac payment. :cry:

Its getting a bit desperate Les! I am watching it hourly, hoping for an upward glitch so I can send some funds over for our move in January. Its looking like we will have to bite the bullet like Steve very shortly!

Cheers

Matt

Its getting a bit desperate Les! I am watching it hourly, hoping for an upward glitch so I can send some funds over for our move in January. Its looking like we will have to bite the bullet like Steve very shortly!

Cheers

Matt

Moves upward are a 'glitch', they just happen so the downard slide is not a straight line.

It has become so dire it is almost laughable. :no:

Moves upward are a 'glitch', they just happen so the downard slide is not a straight line.

It has become so dire it is almost laughable. :no:

Hi Les, you could be in for a CO tomorrow, we are down to Brentwood tomorrow for Meds. but on the money front, had to send daughter nearly 9K for Aos earlier in week at 1.57 to pound, ouch!!!!

Hi all

I'm new here.

A double migrant. From Uk to Oz and another forum to here.

Although I have already got my CPV class 143 (did not use agent) I like to keep up to speed on how current applicants are getting along in the process and offer the occasional help if I can.

I know that it is a long and slow procedure and that having regular posts on others experiences certainly helped me. All the best to those in the queue

Peewit

Guest sirmatt101
Hi all

I'm new here.

A double migrant. From Uk to Oz and another forum to here.

Although I have already got my CPV class 143 (did not use agent) I like to keep up to speed on how current applicants are getting along in the process and offer the occasional help if I can.

I know that it is a long and slow procedure and that having regular posts on others experiences certainly helped me. All the best to those in the queue

Peewit

Hi & Welcome Peewit, I recognise you from a nameless forum. I have also migrated from same!!

Cheers

Matt