Guest guest36187

I had a look on the state pension website but couldn't find the answer. Here's the link

State Pension deferral - taking up your State Pension later : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

:idea: I always use these guys for pension questions, quick answer is you can delay as long as you like.

Deferring - The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

This an independent and reliable site. :yes:

I had a look on the state pension website but couldn't find the answer. Here's the link

State Pension deferral - taking up your State Pension later : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

After my last post I rang the International pensions place again as they were so helpful last time :biggrin:

The way I see it is basically, you can hold off getting your pension indeffinatly, all you have to do is contact them 4 months before you want to take it or you can complete the forms online........if you did hold off say 5 years, they would pay you your pension but only backdate it for 12 months, you would then get a 'choices' letter offering you your 4 years in hand as an increase in your pension which would be payable for life, or in 1 lump sum :chatterbox:

As you said Les you could hold off then :swoon: so i suppose it has to be a personal choice, but it's nice to have all the info :wink:

Phoebe

Guest chicklet

I am pleased to say I have managed to locate the tracker list so thank you to the people on pio who have replied to me. No doubt I will be asking other questions in the coming months and I will always be pleased to hear from other people or help anyone else if I can.

Chicklet

Answers to your questions, yes we went for 143 CPV straight from the start, we saw on gainwave that we were getting close to Case Officer, so applied for Police Checks 2 weeks ago and they came yesterday. Medicals booked today for the 16/12, but we could have had an earlier date. The email from Aus said we have 49 days to get information to them, and from what we have seen before, once they receive everything you get your visa.

Hi Steve or Aileen.

Where have you chosen to have your medicals done?

Not expecting a quick answer as I guess the celebrations have started tonight. :jiggy:

Glad you got there Sandch - we'll be following soon as we sell the house! Which area have you gone to? Do you like it better than the UK?

Hello Sue

We're in Melbourne, currently staying with our daughter and family. It's different, rather than better. I know from experience I'll miss many aspects of England, and I will not miss many others (current cold snap included!). But the same applies to Australia. We do have the benefit of reliving the magic of having a small child around though, with the added benefit of being able to quietly withdraw when the going gets tough.

Cheers!

Steve

Hi Steve or Aileen.

Where have you chosen to have your medicals done?

Not expecting a quick answer as I guess the celebrations have started tonight. :jiggy:

We have booked them for 16th December at Spire Hospital, Brentwood. Could have had an earlier date if we had wanted, but choose this one as we had booked it off as holiday

At present to defer taking a UK state pension seems worthwhile but the interest added to compensate is only simple interest,then drawing after 2 years deferment could optimize income but all this is further complicated by "new" rules and of course the fact that in deferment your pension entitlement is increased by RPI/CPI but is frozen if drawn down while you are in Oz.

You need to hang around to collect it though but how do they know you are in Oz??

If you maintain an address in UK even if you get PR through CPV ??

At present to defer taking a UK state pension seems worthwhile but the interest added to compensate is only simple interest,then drawing after 2 years deferment could optimize income but all this is further complicated by "new" rules and of course the fact that in deferment your pension entitlement is increased by RPI/CPI but is frozen if drawn down while you are in Oz.

You need to hang around to collect it though but how do they know you are in Oz??

Like yer style scroogemacduck and as for the name - well, inspired. How indeed.

Best wishes

Steve

I guess if it was too easy not to mention you have moved to Oz they would never know Australia has the highest number of retirees in the world.

Maybe Oz tax people check with UK or some other way.

The thought has crossed my mind as we have a son who will remain in the UK so an address will not be a problem but not sure if tax may wipe the gain of the annual increase, or just the penalty :policeman: if found out stops people doing it.

I guess if it was too easy not to mention you have moved to Oz they would never know Australia has the highest number of retirees in the world.

Maybe Oz tax people check with UK or some other way.

The thought has crossed my mind as we have a son who will remain in the UK so an address will not be a problem but not sure if tax may wipe the gain of the annual increase, or just the penalty :policeman: if found out stops people doing it.

Live dangerously Les:jimlad:. Having said that, when my state pension date arrives (a bit like a mirage in the desert that, keeps moving into the distance as you approach it), I'll probably make sure I toe the line. We'll certainly have a UK presence then however.

Hi Phoebe

I understand you can leave it as long as you want - but you're only allowed to defer it once! I got a bit paranoid and did a spreadsheet - worked out that you don't get much advantage over the years as to whether you take a lump sum or higher pension. You can decide whether to take a lump sum (this is what you've deferred plus 0.5% interest over the base rate), or whether to take an increased pension. It would be better if the bank rate was higher, of course! I deferred mine for 18 months then I had to draw it to pay towards my Assurance of Support!

Full details are available on the Government's website - just type in 'deferring my state pension' into Google.

Good luck!

Live dangerously Les:jimlad:. Having said that, when my state pension date arrives (a bit like a mirage in the desert that, keeps moving into the distance as you approach it), I'll probably make sure I toe the line. We'll certainly have a UK presence then however.

It's a tempting thought :cute: BUT I remember when my daughter moved there 3 years ago her and the children had to go on my S I L's 4 year sponsored working visa but if they put a foot wrong they were out no questions asked :no:

Is it really worth going through all of this to chance the :policeman: catching up with you I've got this far without any brushes with them so I don't think I'll start now..... but like I said it is tempting :jiggy:

Phoebe

So if you get PR in Oz,maintain a UK bank account & address,visit UK for less than 3 months,stay the rest of the time in Oz---keep UK passport etc

Do not think that is illegal?Just get UK state pension paid in,no fuss

Of course I am able to support myself from savings and would not expect to get any Government assistance anywhere.

I can set up a "super" fund in Oz that means income from that source is not taxable in Oz,I am required by HMRC to fill in a tax return as I have had fairly high & complicated incomes in the past,that is now finished but I take delight in reclaiming the tax paid on bank interest (even if it is miniscule)not because I am abroad,but I have no income other than share dividends etc so am under the tax threshold anyway.

After working for 40 years + in UK,I feel fully entitled to my UK pension.

If my plans work out I can invest $450k into Super (more rules but 3 years brought forward possible)thus wiping out my UK savings and dividends within super are grossed up (tax paid reclaimed by super).

Income from "super" in Oz is not taxable as income from a UK pension would be so I think it will be perfectly legal to submit tax returns in UK & OZ with no tax payable.

Capital Gains is now a figment of my imagination now anyway,were I to qualify I would happily pay that.

Guest scottndina

Hi All,

I have a question about bridging visa for non-contributory Aged parent application.

My mom wants to come visit us and then apply for a non-contributory Aged arent visa. She would then like to apply for a bridging visa until the Aged visa is processed so she could live with us in Australia. As I have not heard of many people actually doing it, I would like to know if there are any specific requirements to apply for that bridging visa and what type of bridging visa it is. Also, I've heard about the new rules from July 1 2011 about "family sponsorship skilled visas" being cancelled next year. Does this affect any aged parent visas?

Thanks in adavance!

Thanks Linday.

Yes this is what I was looking for - Please confirm is this for British applicants only - and if so is there a link for South Africans.

Hello Ernest

The site you were linked to is one I created for CPV applicants generally; although the content is based on our experience of applying from the UK, and thus content will occasionally be from that perspective, it's a facility for anyone who needs to monitor their application against others.

I hope it is of assistance and you are very welcome to add yourself to the tracker.

Best wishes

Steve

Guest sirmatt101
Hello Ernest

The site you were linked to is one I created for CPV applicants generally; although the content is based on our experience of applying from the UK, and thus content will occasionally be from that perspective, it's a facility for anyone who needs to monitor their application against others.

I hope it is of assistance and you are very welcome to add yourself to the tracker.

Best wishes

Steve

And a very useful tracker it is too.

Matt

Having just arrived in Sydney for the annual family visit (JUST escaped the London snow with a day to spare!), we're beginning to relax and enjoy a taste of future life D.U. (Altogther now: Aaaaaah!)

But "the strongest La Nina in 40 years" is playing havoc with the weather -- two-thirds of Oz seems to be under water, and the bleedin' farmers are complaining of TOO MUCH rain! (Who ever heard of a contented farmer anyway?)

Mike

Thanks Sandch ,

I will get our details of when it was lodged in Perth and enter.

Sorry to be pedanic, but please confirm for me that by so doing this will in no way jeopardise my application process. I am dealing through an ajent, and do no want to interfere with the process at all.

Your assistance is appreciated

Regards

Ernest

Thanks Sandch ,

I will get our details of when it was lodged in Perth and enter.

Sorry to be pedanic, but please confirm for me that by so doing this will in no way jeopardise my application process. I am dealing through an ajent, and do no want to interfere with the process at all.

Your assistance is appreciated

Regards

Ernest

Hello Ernest

No this is simply a means of watching your dates - it's not connected with any other database. You are completely anonymous too - most people create a random username; mine is sandch for example (same as this site) but it could equally well be fredbloggs! The only identifiable information needed is an email address to prevent nasty people or computers messing up the database for me. And I can even bypass this requirement for you if you like - and add you to the database if you don't fancy the idea of doing it yourself.

Good luck and best wishes.

Steve

Having just arrived in Sydney for the annual family visit (JUST escaped the London snow with a day to spare!), we're beginning to relax and enjoy a taste of future life D.U. (Altogther now: Aaaaaah!)

But "the strongest La Nina in 40 years" is playing havoc with the weather -- two-thirds of Oz seems to be under water, and the bleedin' farmers are complaining of TOO MUCH rain! (Who ever heard of a contented farmer anyway?)

Mike

Welcome to Oz folks!

The weather over here in Melbourne has been extreme to say the least. Chilly, scorching, humid, clear, drenching. We're getting the hang of it.

Best wishes

Steve