Guest guest36187

Many thanks Gollywobbler for your informative and interesting reply to our query. I think we will beg, borrow, but not steal, to get the money rather than delay. We are also on the Sparkly CPV site, and also on Steve's tracker as "Framboy" and having started at the bottom like everyone, we now find ourselves getting way up the list, so for those people at the bottom, the top may seem a long way off, but you will get there, in the meantime, from our own experience, start making preparations, i.e. clear the loft, start minimizing all your belongings, organize all your paperwork and start thinking about selling the house.

We find Sirmatt's comments about Marmite keep us going in some of the darker moments when we start thinking about all the money it will cost, but we are encoureged and agree with comments by others, Barbaraann for one, that it will be worth it to be with our family in Aus, you only on this earth once, you can't take the money with you, and we look forward to spending the rest of our lives with a big smile on our face in Australia

Hi Guys,

A question that some of you may be able to answer.

If we were granted a visa next year and we then validated it but returned to the UK to work, have we at that stage become resident and therefore our UK earnings have to be declared in Oz or does that start from when we go to Oz to live?

Les

Hi Guys,

If we were granted a visa next year and we then validated it but returned to the UK to work, have we at that stage become resident and therefore our UK earnings have to be declared in Oz or does that start from when we go to Oz to live?

Les

I don't know the answer but it's a great question that I would like the answer to as well :wink:

Phoebe

Hi Guys,

Les

Just to add a little to the question asked above by Les, could I potentially live and work permanently in Australia while my husband temporarily stays in the UK to work several months of the year? He is self employed and is very busy in the spring and summer but not so much from October onwards. Val

Guest The Pom Queen
We got our CPV143 visa today!!!! SO EXCITED!!! We applied in April 2009 so keep your chins up, those of you still waiting! Can't believe we're actually going - mind you, we've got to sell the house now and that will probably be the biggest hurdle.

GOOD LUCK to everyone waiting!!

Great news Sue, congratulations:wubclub:

We got our CPV143 visa today!!!! SO EXCITED!!! We applied in April 2009 so keep your chins up, those of you still waiting! Can't believe we're actually going - mind you, we've got to sell the house now and that will probably be the biggest hurdle.

GOOD LUCK to everyone waiting!!

Good news, and good luck with the house-selling.

Mike

Hi Guys,

Les

Hi Les (and others).

A validation trip that is in the nature of a holiday doesn't necessarily cause you to commence tax residency in Australia.

In fact, it almost certainly wouldn't - tax residency would more likely commence when you move to Australia with the intention of living there.

Best regards.

Well done Sue - so that is 18 months. I gather that is about normal. I am now 13 months.

Best of luck for the future. Been nice to have had your updates and comments over the months.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Well done Sue - so that is 18 months. I gather that is about normal. I am now 13 months.

Best of luck for the future. Been nice to have had your updates and comments over the months.

Best Wishes

Ernest

We applied for our 143 and got acknowledgment on 2/9/2009, if you look on gainwave, web address has been shown on this site before, the people in front of us, fiz, who were acknowledged on 14/8/2009, 19 days before us, have just received their Case Officer, so will be looking for that magic letter soon, just need to sell the house!!!!!

Hi everyone

I have a dilemma :frown:

Our initial thoughts were when we (hopefully) get our visa and moved to Oz we would look for a small piece of land and build a small Granny Flat, hubby is a joiner so very handy :wink: and we know a couple of places in Oz that make 'flat pack' types which either you or they (for a fee) will build. Our thinking was that at least we would be rent free so not have to panic about finding work to pay the rent :biggrin: but of course would have other essential bills. Once we sell the house in the UK pay for the 2nd VAC, AoS etc and it would pretty much clean us out :goofy:

We could rent long term with the money we had which would also pay essential bills and give us time to find work.

My worry is, I know we would not get any kind of financial help/pension for 10 years and it is means tested, so I'm left wondering what the best option for people like us would be, buy or rent. Does anyone have any ideas on this or have you done one or the other, I could deffinatly use some advice :wink:

We REALLY want this to work for us but the nagging doubts are from the financial side once we are there. We are both more than willing to work at anything but dont have rose tinted glasses on to the fact that work might not be easy to come by initially :eek:

I am also aware that we can take our UK pensions with us (when they are due) but that they are frozen so it wont be a lot. I would have at least 4 years to wait and hubby 8 years so we have to be self sufficient for quite a while :swoon:

I really need some help/guidance guys n gals please :notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I'm afraid I am in a similar position to you so I know I don't have any good advice to offer you although we do have our UK pension which is a big help, but I look forward to seeing any advice anyone can offer you as your plans for when you eventually get your visa and go to Australia are very similar to ours.

Cheers Cakey

Hi Phoebe

I'm afraid I am in a similar position to you so I know I don't have any good advice to offer you although we do have our UK pension which is a big help, but I look forward to seeing any advice anyone can offer you as your plans for when you eventually get your visa and go to Australia are very similar to ours.

Cheers Cakey

Do you mind me asking are you already in receipt of your UK pension as we are not due to ours for a few years yet :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Guest hewett3

Well finally the procastinating is over! We posted Mum's CPV 143 Application a couple of weeks ago and now have receipt! 20 Nov 2010 Position 60006095!! If it is of any help they state that they are currently processing 31 July 2009. Now time to sit back and wait! And of course continue to read this fantastic mine of information along the way.

Thanks to all who contribute - it is so very much appreciated.

Caroline

Well finally the procastinating is over! We posted Mum's CPV 143 Application a couple of weeks ago and now have receipt! 20 Nov 2010 Position 60006095!! If it is of any help they state that they are currently processing 31 July 2009. Now time to sit back and wait! And of course continue to read this fantastic mine of information along the way.

Thanks to all who contribute - it is so very much appreciated.

Caroline

Well Done time to start decluttering :wink:

Dont forget to send Steve the info so he can put your mum on the tracker, then we can all move up 1 place :jiggy:

Phoebe

Do you mind me asking are you already in receipt of your UK pension as we are not due to ours for a few years yet :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, yes we already get our pension, I have been receiving mine since I was sixty and my husband sixty five. We have both been able to take part-time jobs to help to save towards the cost of our visa. We are like you and worry about the cost of renting if we are unable to afford to buy. we are mortgage free here in the UK but our home is only a modest three bedroom semi so by the time we pay the aos and the visa charge there wouldn't be enough left to buy a house in oz, so your idea of some land and a flat pack home sounds really attractive to me. I would love to hear if anyone on poi has done anything similar, and how you would go about it,

Cheers Cakey

Hi everyone

I have a dilemma :frown:

Our initial thoughts were when we (hopefully) get our visa and moved to Oz we would look for a small piece of land and build a small Granny Flat, hubby is a joiner so very handy :wink: and we know a couple of places in Oz that make 'flat pack' types which either you or they (for a fee) will build. Our thinking was that at least we would be rent free so not have to panic about finding work to pay the rent :biggrin: but of course would have other essential bills. Once we sell the house in the UK pay for the 2nd VAC, AoS etc and it would pretty much clean us out :goofy:

We could rent long term with the money we had which would also pay essential bills and give us time to find work.

My worry is, I know we would not get any kind of financial help/pension for 10 years and it is means tested, so I'm left wondering what the best option for people like us would be, buy or rent. Does anyone have any ideas on this or have you done one or the other, I could deffinatly use some advice :wink:

We REALLY want this to work for us but the nagging doubts are from the financial side once we are there. We are both more than willing to work at anything but dont have rose tinted glasses on to the fact that work might not be easy to come by initially :eek:

I am also aware that we can take our UK pensions with us (when they are due) but that they are frozen so it wont be a lot. I would have at least 4 years to wait and hubby 8 years so we have to be self sufficient for quite a while :swoon:

I really need some help/guidance guys n gals please :notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I think the financial side is a worry for all of us. Is there any way you would be able to stay with your family for a while until you get yourselves sorted and find jobs? You could share bills etc. We intend to do this for a while so we can check out banking the house money and renting versus buying.

Hi Phoebe, yes we already get our pension, I have been receiving mine since I was sixty and my husband sixty five. We have both been able to take part-time jobs to help to save towards the cost of our visa. We are like you and worry about the cost of renting if we are unable to afford to buy. we are mortgage free here in the UK but our home is only a modest three bedroom semi so by the time we pay the aos and the visa charge there wouldn't be enough left to buy a house in oz, so your idea of some land and a flat pack home sounds really attractive to me. I would love to hear if anyone on poi has done anything similar, and how you would go about it,

Cheers Cakey

We too are mortgage free here and like you we have a modest 3 bed semi so financially we seem to be the same.:wink:

I just went to google.com.au and looked for flat pack granny flats there are a couple of companies who do them, worth a look although you also need a small piece of land to build on. We havent looked into the 'ins and outs' of it all as yet :wideeyed: I too would be interested to know if anyone has done it :biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest chicklet

This is the first time I have written on this site but I have recently applied for my CPV143 and I have registered with Steve the Tracker but I am not sure how to contact him regarding my position. I know I have a long wait as it was only acknowledged on the 1st October 2010 but will need to know for the future.Perhaps someone can help me and I would always be interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

This is the first time I have written on this site but I have recently applied for my CPV143 and I have registered with Steve the Tracker but I am not sure how to contact him regarding my position. I know I have a long wait as it was only acknowledged on the 1st October 2010 but will need to know for the future.Perhaps someone can help me and I would always be interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

Hi chicklet

Welcome to the site. :wink: You are just behind me mine was 3rd September.

You can contact Steve here cpvtracker@gainwave.co.uk just send him your details and he will kindly do the rest :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I think the financial side is a worry for all of us. Is there any way you would be able to stay with your family for a while until you get yourselves sorted and find jobs? You could share bills etc. We intend to do this for a while so we can check out banking the house money and renting versus buying.

Hi Linday

Unfortunatly thats not an option now as they are in a rented 3 bed house with 2 girls age 6 and 4 and a new baby due in April :twitcy:

Phoebe