Guest guest36187

Hi Steve

He he he he heh.

I do agree with you that this thread has become a bit heavy about meds issues etc.

The BE thread also has its own heaviness, though, with issues like the exchange rate (plus the perennial war between Marmite - which I love - and Vegemite, which I loathe as a substance but I do love Sirmatt to bits for the way that he punts Vegemite. Personally I find it quite hard to believe that anyone brought up with the taste of Marmite might actually like the taste of Vegemite - which tastes dreadful to me, but still.)

I'm interested in the way that the two threads are developing.

I think that your new website is fantastic. Brilliant. I'm a bit sceptical about the Snail Theory, though. I thought that your cartoon was a picture of a plane in a bit of a mess?

Which I reckon is exactly what is happening with the non-contributory Parent 103 and Aged Parent 804 visas, so I'm a bit confused by the Snail Theory.

I also think it is brilliant that Contributory Parents are finally beginning to organise themselves into groups.

I tried to ask the BERIA 410 Group - which is based in Perth - whether or not they could include my Mamma in their partying? I got the firm brush off because my own mother has a Contributory Parent visa, which seems to be the meat on the quasi-political bone.

Hopefully, once the PIP Group is up & running, they might be a little kinder towards Mum. She can't drive and she is now 90 plus wheelchair bound. Mentally, however, she can give somebody of 33 a pretty good run for his/her money.

I'm hoping that once the PIP Group is up and running, one of them might create a PIP website and that one of the ladies might live nearby and might not mind collecting Mum and taking her to some of the parties.

Mum only got her CPV 143 in 2006. However, she has been "living" in Perth since 1992. She knows the place like the back of her hand because she didn't become disabled until she became older. When she was younger, she used to trot around on the buses etc. Now that she is 90, I don't think it is reasonable to expect that anyway, plus she is now disabled so she can't get around by herself any more.

If nobody is willing to offer then nothing can be done. We know that and we do not demand anything. I merely hope....

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Need to find the Mornington Peninsula group and get together organizer!!! Hopefully they do have one????Please !!!!!:wideeyed:

Thank you Gill! The technical move from HTML to php/sql (which allows the online updating of the database) is a big one for me, and it's been successful but it involved a lot of time - on top of a tax course at Curtin (distance of course) over the summer. A busy year! My visa knowledge is really restricted to what I've learned in the process of getting a CPV, so the site content will tend to be rather limited. As a result it would be better if it was collaborative, but the more information it contains, the more maintenance work it will involve (making sure it stays up to date for example). So it will probably remain a tracker at heart with narrowly-focused broad content. And with improving graphics I hope!

I confess I don't know what is happening on the 103 side of things, but the wait seemed to be like forever when I last looked. Slow or simply halted?

Yes the different forums are fascinating - the BE one varies between flippant and useful; probably the right balance, and this one tends more to fact. The word vegemite really needs to be replaced automatically by the software, as with any other unacceptable word.

Anyway, heading out for our Sunday promenade along the Great Western Canal shortly, so that's all for now.

Best wishes

Steve

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Need to find the Mornington Peninsula group and get together organizer!!! Hopefully they do have one????Please !!!!!:wideeyed:

Hi Sandy

Yes, Sandy. The organiser of the Mornington Peninsula Group will be none other than you, girl! :wubclub:

I reckon that there is a big need for these local groups and then for an Australia-wide

group of Contributory Parents.

I got the brush-off from BERIA 410 when I asked them whether CPV holders might join their group? BERIA 410 is a closed shop, I gather, which is why I think that the CPV holders need a group of their own:

BERIA 410 - HOME PAGE & NEWS

I gather that the main focus of BERIA 410 is that their members do not have PR and mostly they do not have access to Medicare either. I can't see that the details of the visas actually matter for the purpose of people of similar ages enjoying a social jolly together in Australia.

I was more or less told that the visas do matter and that they matter enormously. I don't see why, but the guy who responded to me was a man. I got the impression that he, personally, is jealous of CPV holders. I felt that that is unfair. CPV holders are only eligible for CPVs because they meet the Balance of Family Test, after all. I don't think it is anybody's "fault" that some people meet that Test whilst others do not. None of the visa holders are responsible for devising the Law, after all. The Law and the visas do not prevent a few social outings together, it seems to me.

I hope that the CPV groups will happen and that they will tell absolutely anybody, "We don't care whether you are an Aussie Citizen or a sc 410 holder, an sc 405 holder or anything else. We really don't care about any of that. The idea is to have a party, not a gruesome dissection about which visa somebody either holds or does not need." I've never met a Mum who can't talk about her children and I've never met a father who can't talk about money. It seems to me that the two groups have plenty in common, advancing age being the most common thing amongst them all.

Therefore I don't understand why the "Them & Us" idea ought to exist. It seems to, though, which I think is a pity.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Wow

This is wonderful news!!! You are nearly there now and with a bit of luck, your visa will be a splendid Christmas present for you and your family.

Steve does not receive automatic e-mail notifications when somebody adds to a thread on Poms in Oz. He does get them with the big CPV thread on BE. Might I suggest that you ask him on BE as well because he might not log on to Poms in Oz again for a few days, particularly since PiO will be going off line at 10.30 am this morning and will be off line for several hours today.

The forum is being moved to a new server later on today/tonight and apparently it is safer to take the forum off line before they do the move. Then they will test it thoroughly in its "new home" and make sure it all works properly before they put it back on-line. Rob (Site Admin) is an IT Professional of some kind so he obviously understands the whole thing properly. He is a good job that somebody does because I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it all myself!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gollywobbler,

Like WOW, our June, we have waited for a CO for 16months and then within a month we have a final VAC request which is very scary. Do you know of any good reason to get the date extended as rates and tied in monies would make this difficult to achieve by 4th Nov. If anyone knows you know!:wacko: thanks

Hi Sandy

Yes, Sandy. The organiser of the Mornington Peninsula Group will be none other than you, girl! :wubclub:

I reckon that there is a big need for these local groups and then for an Australia-wide

group of Contributory Parents.

I got the brush-off from BERIA 410 when I asked them whether CPV holders might join their group? BERIA 410 is a closed shop, I gather, which is why I think that the CPV holders need a group of their own:

BERIA 410 - HOME PAGE & NEWS

I gather that the main focus of BERIA 410 is that their members do not have PR and mostly they do not have access to Medicare either. I can't see that the details of the visas actually matter for the purpose of people of similar ages enjoying a social jolly together in Australia.

I was more or less told that the visas do matter and that they matter enormously. I don't see why, but the guy who responded to me was a man. I got the impression that he, personally, is jealous of CPV holders. I felt that that is unfair. CPV holders are only eligible for CPVs because they meet the Balance of Family Test, after all. I don't think it is anybody's "fault" that some people meet that Test whilst others do not. None of the visa holders are responsible for devising the Law, after all. The Law and the visas do not prevent a few social outings together, it seems to me.

I hope that the CPV groups will happen and that they will tell absolutely anybody, "We don't care whether you are an Aussie Citizen or a sc 410 holder, an sc 405 holder or anything else. We really don't care about any of that. The idea is to have a party, not a gruesome dissection about which visa somebody either holds or does not need." I've never met a Mum who can't talk about her children and I've never met a father who can't talk about money. It seems to me that the two groups have plenty in common, advancing age being the most common thing amongst them all.

Therefore I don't understand why the "Them & Us" idea ought to exist. It seems to, though, which I think is a pity.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

How ridiculous is that !!! Once we all have our visas, whichever type they are, that is in the past and surely the whole point is to make friends and enjoy evenings together in the land that we have fought to obtain to be with our families. I dont understand this "us and them "mentality, surely we are in the same boat trying to get settled and make a happy life not just with our families, but making friends too. Oops I have probably upset a few people now :arghh:

Hi Gill,

How ridiculous is that !!! Once we all have our visas, whichever type they are, that is in the past and surely the whole point is to make friends and enjoy evenings together in the land that we have fought to obtain to be with our families. I dont understand this "us and them "mentality, surely we are in the same boat trying to get settled and make a happy life not just with our families, but making friends too. Oops I have probably upset a few people now :arghh:

I agree we are all aiming to be with families or spend our later years where we want to be. Anyone know how to set up a thread for the PIPS (People or Parents in Perth)?

Hi Gill,

AGREED.....:jiggy:

Phoebe

I agree we are all aiming to be with families or spend our later years where we want to be. Anyone know how to set up a thread for the PIPS (People or Parents in Perth)?

So does that me we need a thread for PIQS (People or Parents in Queensland) :biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
So does that me we need a thread for PIQS (People or Parents in Queensland) :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I have the vague impression that Les Avalook has volunteered to organise PIQ?

Cheers

Gill

PIQ! Do you want me to start the thread for you and make it a sticky one so it stays in view?

Hi Joanne

PIQ....We are a long way off as yet only just had confirmation of 1st VAC :goofy: but as people prepare for their moves I think these threads are a brilliant idea :wink: not do sure about PIMPS mind :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has heard/come in on the deferred visa? I understand from some friends that you can get a visa for 15 years, you don't get any help with the aussie gov.or medicare but you don't have to buy your way in......any help on this greatly appricated....Louise

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Phobe,

Yeah and PIMP (People in Mornington Peninsula) !!!!!!

Doesn't Petal live around this area ???

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

What about PIMMs? (Parents/People/P*ssheads in Melbourne and Mornington?) I wonder whether whoever makes the drink would demand royalties if one nicked their name?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gollywobbler,

Like WOW, our June, we have waited for a CO for 16months and then within a month we have a final VAC request which is very scary. Do you know of any good reason to get the date extended as rates and tied in monies would make this difficult to achieve by 4th Nov. If anyone knows you know!:wacko: thanks

Just ask your CO if you can have an extension. I don't think it will wash if you say you are waiting for the rates to go up but tied in money might do the trick.

Does anyone know if my mum (widow) could apply for a last remaining relative visa?

Her sister recently died and now she has no family in the UK and her only family left is me here in Aus and I am a citizen.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Guest Gollywobbler
Does anyone know if my mum (widow) could apply for a last remaining relative visa?

Her sister recently died and now she has no family in the UK and her only family left is me here in Aus and I am a citizen.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Hi Chuppy

The answer to your question is no, in the circumstances that you describe. It is only possible when the prospective visa applicant is the remaining relly of his/her siblings, who have moved to Oz, or is a child whose parents and other siblings have moved to Oz.

The reason for excluding somebody like your mother from being your own Remaining Relly is because if you are the only other member of the family, it follows that your mother meets the Balance of Family Test and so she is eligible for Parent migration instead. It would make no sense to permit duplication of the visa possibilities in this situation.

A Remaining Relly was used for a British mother in 2008, I recall, but that was because the facts were unusual. The mother was a widow with only one child. The child had only just moved to Oz, so she could not sponsor her mother for a Parent or Contributory Parent visa immediately. However all of the mother's surviving siblings had moved to Oz some years earlier, so one of her siblings sponsored the mother for a Remaining Relative visa. At the time, Remaining Relly visas were being processed within 6-8 months, so using that visa instead of using a Contributory Parent visa later simply saved a load of money and time.

However, I have sent you a PM which might help. Please shout if it does not help.

Cheers

Gill

We have just paid our first VAC (in September 2010).

Does anyone know if I can open a bank account in OZ offshore or do you have to be onshore/have validated your visa/be a resident:chatterbox:

Saving for the 2nd VAC in the UK with interest rates the way they are against saving the money in an Oz account where the interest rate is much better and the money needs to be anyway makes much more sense.....dosent it:eek:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

This may help from ANZ Bank, based in England:

"When you open an Australian bank account before you move:

<LI class=BulletNormal>it will allow you to transfer money into your new account before you arrive, so when you land, you can access your Australian dollars almost immediately <LI class=BulletNormal>may give you the opportunity to take advantage of favourable exchange rates <LI class=BulletNormal>you can provide your account details to your employer ahead of time <LI class=BulletNormal>provides you with the opportunity to take advantage of competitive interest rates on savings accounts. When you open an Australian bank account before you move:
      <LI class=BulletNormal>it will allow you to transfer money into your new account before you arrive, so when you land, you can access your Australian dollars almost immediately <LI class=BulletNormal>may give you the opportunity to take advantage of favourable exchange rates
    • you can provide your account details to your employer ahead of time
    • provides you with the opportunity to take advantage of competitive interest rates on savings accounts. "

[*]

[*]You can find them on Google

[*]xx

We have just paid our first VAC (in September 2010).

Does anyone know if I can open a bank account in OZ offshore or do you have to be onshore/have validated your visa/be a resident:chatterbox:

Saving for the 2nd VAC in the UK with interest rates the way they are against saving the money in an Oz account where the interest rate is much better and the money needs to be anyway makes much more sense.....dosent it:eek:

Phoebe

Hello Phoebe - yes you can open a non-resident account, there are a number of banks that will help with this (Commonwealth, Westpac etc).

The interest differential does help over a period of time to offset the very poor current exchange rate from sterling to dollars. However I read that the Aussie is overvalued by a large amount at the moment, so I'm delaying any thoughts of moving large sums to Australia until it improves.

It may never improve, it may even get worse. So that's my own personal gamble.

Some people advocate moving smaller amounts over a period of time, and that way you benefit from an average. One has to make sure they are not so small that the rate and transaction costs are disproportionate.

Finally, when we were building up to our second VAC and AOS, we converted half early on when rates seemed good, but because there were no guarantees we would actually get a visa, we left the balance until we were asked for it.

Cheers

Steve