Guest guest36187

Guest Gollywobbler
We are applying for a 173 CVP and later the 143. I know you get a year from the date of police checks and medicals to validate your visa on the 143 but does anyone know if it's the same for the temporary 173 if we are not able to move over to Oz immediately.

Hi Linday

The time-limit for validating the visas is exactly the same with both visas.

A lot of people are not able to make the permanent move to Oz by the time when they must make their "initial entry" to Oz to validate their visas. In this situation, the visa holder simply makes a short visit to Oz. It can be as short as passing through Immigration Control, grabbing one's luggage (if any) and heading straight for the check in to catch the same plane on its trip out of Australia.

Whilst that idea keeps one within the Law and protects the visa, it is a bit drastic for Parents who have children in Oz! It is also knackering if the Parent has flown to Oz from the UK!

Yomvard is planning to validate their CPVs later this year. There is a family gathering in Melbourne so she plans that she and her OH will enter Oz using their CPVs (they would not be allowed to use any other visas for the planned trip in any case) and then they will be returning to the UK after a short visit to Oz. LOADS of CPV holders do this.

Cheers

Gill

At LAST !!!!! We have the precious visa granted today...Please can we have that lovely red star Steve. It is thanks to this website that this has happened and advice from the lovely Gil (Gollywobbler) that has made this happen. Having M.S. I had been told by a very expensive agent in Melbourne that it is highly unlikely that I would obtain a visa due to my critical condition. Just goes to show that it isn't always the case. Good luck to all still in the waiting room. Time soon passes.

regards

Sandy

Guest Gollywobbler
At LAST !!!!! We have the precious visa granted today...Please can we have that lovely red star Steve. It is thanks to this website that this has happened and advice from the lovely Gil (Gollywobbler) that has made this happen. Having M.S. I had been told by a very expensive agent in Melbourne that it is highly unlikely that I would obtain a visa due to my critical condition. Just goes to show that it isn't always the case. Good luck to all still in the waiting room. Time soon passes.

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

May I be the first person to congratulate you on Poms in Oz? :jiggy::hug:

Your news is FANTASTIC and I am utterly THRILLED for you, Colin, Nick & Richard. Please give my love to your two sons and tell them this from me:

Getting your visas was a team effort. You were the captain of the team because you did all the hard (and boring) work of making the visa application and then steering the whole thing. The boys played a large part as well, organising the AoS, agonising about whether the gamble would pay off with regard to your MS etc but keeping you bright, cheerful and thinking about the whole thing in a positive way. All that I actually did was to provide a bit of encouragement here & there, nothing more. I give 100% of the credit to you and the boys.

I didn't remember till after you had phoned me that today is 15th September. My mother's CPV 143 was granted on 15th September 2006 and I will always remember that date because it was so hugely important to us. I congratulate you for your extreme efficiency, my dear! I will always remember 15th September in future years because of you as well, now!

I don't normally touch alcohol during the day but I've decided that one glass of vino won't hurt today, to toast both you and my mother! :yes: The glass of vino is next to my desk and when I can spare my paws from typing this, I will take a slurp in your honour instead!

LOTS OF LOVE, hon!!

Gill

xxxx

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Phoebe

Oh well i probably wasted my money on them then as i can now see lets just hope they at least work for their money. Wish i had found these forums before i had signed them up, my daughter went through the agent when she applied so i thought that was just what you did.

Sue

Hi Sue

Snap! Back in 2005 when I was investigating the possibility of a CPV for my mother, I assumed - just like you - that one "has to" do it through a migration agent.

My sister, out in Perth, was the one who said, "Rubbish! There is no compulsion to use a migration agent and I'm certain that thee & me can save the money and deal with the whole thing by ourselves." If she had not said that, I wouldn't have known.

Also, at the time, I had never heard of any migration agents by name so I had no idea that I only live about 5 miles away from Go Matilda's office in Southampton. Mum is very elderly - she was 84 when we made her visa application and she will be 90 on 19th September 2010. Despite her great age, though, she is as bright as a button mentally and she can be a prize Nagamatic if she gets half a chance.

If I had known about Go Matilda, I would definitely have phoned them, told them about Mum's age and the fact that she is confined to a wheelchair and I would have asked them to arrange for their relevant consultant to come and visit us at my house. I would undoubtedly have left all the foot-slogging to Go Matilda and I would have left them to deal with my mother as well! Sod the cost - peace of mind (and peace from Mum's nagging) is important as well!

However I did not know about Go Matilda so I did not overrule my sister in Oz.

Cheers

Gill

regards

Sandy

Congratulations Sandy, excellent news. I have elevated you to the ranks of the recently granted!

:smile:

Best wishes

Steve

regards

Sandy

Brilliant news, we're so happy for you.:yes: CONGRATULATIONS

Hi There

I know you guys haven't got any faith in the queue calculator on the immi.gov.au site but our application was, according to this site, down to 10 in the queue. I checked tonight and it now says that there are no applications queued for this date. Does this mean our application is being dealt with ? We applied on the 7th Dec 2009 for a CPV 143.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi There

I know you guys haven't got any faith in the queue calculator on the immi.gov.au site but our application was, according to this site, down to 10 in the queue. I checked tonight and it now says that there are no applications queued for this date. Does this mean our application is being dealt with ? We applied on the 7th Dec 2009 for a CPV 143.

Hi MickP

Since applicants for Contributory Parent visas are not given Queue Dates, what date did you tell it for your own Queue Date, please?

Sandch's Gainwave tracker is the only means of checking progress with a Contributory Parent application, I assure you.

Australian migration, contributory parent visa, information and progress tracker

I think you should satisfy yourself about this by asking the Parents Visa Centre in Perth. If you e-mail parents@immi.gov.au you will receive a reply within a couple of days. They are likely to say that they are currently allocating Case Officers to CPV applications that were lodged in May 2009. Yours was not lodged until December 2009 so you will almost certainly have to wait till March or April 2011, at the earliest, before a CO will contact you to start the final stages of processing your CPV application.

Are you in a hurry to get out to Oz very soon? If you are, have you thought about using a long stay tourist visa for the purpose? This is what my own mother did and what several CPV applicants have done since Mum.

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

The PVC would far, far rather that you contact them to discuss any concerns direct with them that you should worry about anything in silence so do contact them, I would suggest.

Cheers

Gill

regards

Sandy

wow, congratulations Sandy, it seems the CPVs are on the move for sure. Well done and best wishes.

Junejuno

regards

Sandy

I got your text but wanted to say a VERY PUBLIC CONGRATULATIONS :biggrin: Your case in particular I think.gives u's all in a similar position HOPE.

After all the hassle is over, enjoy living the dream, you deserve it :cool:

Phoebe

Hi There

It's not that we have no faith in it, just that one doesn't exist for the 143 visa. Gill explains it eloquently!

Thanks

Steve

regards

Sandy

G'day. As I've already posted on BE...

Congratulations; you are an inspriration, not least to ourselves, as I have heart and prostate "issues" – relatively minor, and not to be compared directly with MS, certainly – and we were also given gloomy prognostications by an expensive agent who admitted she had had very little experience of Parent migration. So we decided on the DIY route; we wait to see.

The best of luck with your move, Mike and Sue

Guest julieblue

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice as I am having a bit of dilemma as what visa I should apply for.

I am 44 years old and have 2 children living in Australia one of whom is a citizen the other is a permanent resident, I also still have a daughter living in the UK. My daughter in the UK is not ready to move out there yet but I am wanting to go to be with my other children as they are getting to the ages where they are starting to settle down with partners and I don't want to miss out on being an accessible grandparent.

Financially I am not in a position to pay for a contributary parent visa but I wondered if it is possible to go on a temporary visa and apply for an onshore visa when I get there. If anybody can help with any info if I would be more succesful going down this route I would appreciate your response.

Many thanks

Julie

G'day. As I've already posted on BE...

Congratulations; you are an inspriration, not least to ourselves, as I have heart and prostate "issues" – relatively minor, and not to be compared directly with MS, certainly – and we were also given gloomy prognostications by an expensive agent who admitted she had had very little experience of Parent migration. So we decided on the DIY route; we wait to see.

The best of luck with your move, Mike and Sue

Hi Miken Sue,

Thank you for your kind words...but we looked on it that if we hadn't tried, we definately wouldn't be able to go whereas at least the worst they could say was no, but the best happened. So I say to everyone. try and try again....okay it will cost a bit in money as well as hopes, but...nothing gained etc... All my best wishes to you both and your success. I will be keeping tabs on everyone and let you know how our move goes next year. Got to sell the house now that is real stress !!!Not good for MS believe me!!!:arghh:

regards

Sandy

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice as I am having a bit of dilemma as what visa I should apply for.

I am 44 years old and have 2 children living in Australia one of whom is a citizen the other is a permanent resident, I also still have a daughter living in the UK. My daughter in the UK is not ready to move out there yet but I am wanting to go to be with my other children as they are getting to the ages where they are starting to settle down with partners and I don't want to miss out on being an accessible grandparent.

Financially I am not in a position to pay for a contributary parent visa but I wondered if it is possible to go on a temporary visa and apply for an onshore visa when I get there. If anybody can help with any info if I would be more succesful going down this route I would appreciate your response.

Many thanks

Julie

Hi Julie

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

You say that you are 44. If you mean 44 and it is not a typing error, then you are within the age range for skilled migration to Oz if you have a skill that is in demand in Australia. Do you have a work-occupation and if so, what is your occupation, please? With Parents under the age of about 55 it is always worth investigating whether or not skilled migration might be a possibility.

The alternative is Parent migration via the non-contributory Parent subclass 103 visa. Please study the links below:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm

The non-contributory onshore Aged Parent visa is not possible unless the Parent is Aged - ie old enough to collect the State Pension. For a father, that means he must be aged 65 or over at the time of making the visa application. For women there is a sliding scale because women used to be able to retire at 60 in Oz. That proved to be more expensive than the Government chooses to pay for so the retirement age for women has been raised to 65 as well, with a sliding scale for Mums who are already in their 60s. However if you are only 44 then you are at least 20 years too young to be able to take advantage of the onshore idea!

The downside with the Parent 103 visa is that at the moment, only 700 Parent 103 visas are available each year and the official Queue for them is about 15,500 applicants strong, so the Parent who applies for a Parent 103 visa can expect to wait for about 20 - 22 years at the moment.

I stress the words in italics because the whole issue of migration to Oz is in a state of complete flux at the moment. The Aussie Financial Year starts on 1st July every year, so the Migration Programme Year runs from 1st July as well. Until last week (literally) Senator Chris Evans was the Minister for Immi. He, thanks god, has just been replaced by Chris Bowen, who was sworn in earlier this week.

The quota used to be 700 PV 103s every year. For the Financial Years 2008/2009 and 2009/2010, Evans doubled the quota to 1,400 a year, which halved the waiting times and was a sensible, sane, humane step to have taken. Then about 3 months ago Evans suddenly halved the quota again but when he was the Minister for Immi, he did a good imitation of Ethelred the Unready, constantly changing his mind about everything. He ruined Australia's reputation on the international world stage by demonstrating conclusively that the Australian Governments of today do not believe in the idea of "a fair go" - which is the central idea on which Australia's international reputation has been built. The average Aussie might still believe in the idea of "a fair go" but the pollies who govern him definitely do not believe in it any more.

It is far too early to say whether Minister Bowen will prove to have more common-sense, decency and a sense of fairness than his predecessor. Both he and Evans are members of the Australian Labor Party, which has just formed a very fragile minority Government that I reckon is probably more fragile than the Tory/Lib-Dem coalition in the UK, so there might well be another General Election in Oz sometime in the next year or two.

At the moment unemployment in some of the States in the Eastern half of Oz is about 5%, I believe, which the Federal Government in Canberra reckons is too high. All the evidence is that the unemployment rate is falling quite sharply in Oz. As the number of out-of-work Aussies drops, a future Minister for Immi is likely to relax the present stranglehold on the annual intake of immigrants.

My own prediction is that Bowen won't do anything about increasing the numbers of Parent and Contributory Parent visa quotas. I reckon that the ALP will be chucked out of Government at the next General Election.

Evans has gone off to interfere with Jobs, Skills, Workplace Relations and Tertiary Education now, leaving Bowen to try to clear up the abominable mess that Evans has made in the Immigration Portfolio. Leopards do not change their spots. If Evans contrives to annoy all the Universities and most of of the workers in Oz as much as he has annoyed everyone involved with Immigration to Oz then I predict that the disgruntled Aussie workforce and the equally disgruntled universities will force another General Election not long after Evans starts wreaking any of his incompetent antics on them.

I don't think the Parent 103 quota will increase during the next 3-5 years but it might increase after that. It will probably turn out to be worthwhile to apply for a Parent 103 visa, firstly to reserve your place in the Official Queue for them and secondly because it is a very good bargaining chip with DIAC if employer-sponsored migration turns out to be a possibility later on. If they know that the applicant for an employer-sponsored ENS or RSMS visa is assured of Permanent Residency in Oz sooner or later anyway, by means of Parent migration instead, they tend to stop fussing and to grant the ENS or RSMS visa when they might not do so were it not for the lever of the Parent 103 visa application.

So to summarise, I would suggest that you study the links about Parent migration above and in the meantime, do you have a work-occupation and if so, what is it, please? I don't think that the possibiity of skilled migration should be ignored with a Parent who is under about 55.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Miken Sue,

Thank you for your kind words...but we looked on it that if we hadn't tried, we definately wouldn't be able to go whereas at least the worst they could say was no, but the best happened. So I say to everyone. try and try again....okay it will cost a bit in money as well as hopes, but...nothing gained etc... All my best wishes to you both and your success. I will be keeping tabs on everyone and let you know how our move goes next year. Got to sell the house now that is real stress !!!Not good for MS believe me!!!:arghh:

regards

Sandy

Get Colin to tie the fridge closed but I'll let you have the odd choccy :jiggy:

Phoebe

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about when your sponsor goes to pay your AoS fee in Oz.

I have heard others talking about an interview and making an appointment for that. What is that about and do all CPVers have to do it please?

Also, where are these interviews held, if my sponsor is on the Gold Coast for instance?

Thanks, June

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Miken Sue,

regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

I agree with you 100%. For you, it was definitely worth having a go. In your case, I take my hat off to Dr Peter Goodall, who said straightaway that there was no reason why your particular type of MS should prevent you from getting a CPV. He was right and he was right about my own disabled mother as well. That man should be beatified imho.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Get Colin to tie the fridge closed but I'll let you have the odd choccy :jiggy:

Phoebe

Hi Pheobe

Winter is fast approaching.... Sandy is perfectly brainy enough to store a few choccys outside of the fridge....! :biggrin:

I suspect that Colin will have his hands full for the next few months, continually scraping Sandy off the ceilings and walls of their house! :yes:

Cheers

Gill

Hi Everyone,

I have heard others talking about an interview and making an appointment for that. What is that about and do all CPVers have to do it please?

Also, where are these interviews held, if my sponsor is on the Gold Coast for instance?

Thanks, June

On further research I found this old post by Gill about this, if it's of any interest to anyone else. I am assuming that not much has changed in the process since 2008!!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/33281-assurance-support.html

Regards, June

Hi Everyone,

Thanks, June

Hello June

The assurance of support bond is relevant to the 143 visa. The chosen Assurer (not necessarily your sponsor, but of course it may be) must attend an interview at Centrelink to determine if that person fulfills the financial etc criteria to qualify as an Assurer. The nearest Centrelink office will probably be able to advise on where these interviews are held.

After the (successful) interview, the Assurer needs to set up the bond with the Commonwealth Bank, and once this has been done, DIAC is notified that the bond is in place.

I hope this helps - someone reading in may know about Centrelink offices on the Gold Coast.

Cheers

Steve

Hello June

The assurance of support bond is relevant to the 143 visa. The chosen Assurer (not necessarily your sponsor, but of course it may be) must attend an interview at Centrelink to determine if that person fulfills the financial etc criteria to qualify as an Assurer. The nearest Centrelink office will probably be able to advise on where these interviews are held.

After the (successful) interview, the Assurer needs to set up the bond with the Commonwealth Bank, and once this has been done, DIAC is notified that the bond is in place.

I hope this helps - someone reading in may know about Centrelink offices on the Gold Coast.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks for confirming that. I am much clearer now about the process.

Regards, June

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello June

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

I don't know anything about the Gold Coast area but below is what has happened in WA.

My sister lives about 17 kms South of the Perth CBD. The main Centrelink office in WA is located in the Perth CBD, where only 2 of the staff know anything about the AoS process for visas and only the two of them make any decisions about AoS applications. The remainder of the Centrelink staff involved with handling AoS applications in WA are simply administrative officers who support the two main people.

I don't know whether there are any Centrelink offices in the suburbs of Perth Metro or whether all the people who are claiming anything from Centrelink have to go to the main office in the Perth CBD but when my sister phoned Centrelink to say that the CO processing Mum's visa application wanted Elaine to organise the AoS, she was told go go to the office in Perth Metro and be interviewed by one of the two main people.

At the same time as we were finalising the CPV 143 application for my own mother, my friend Anne was doing exactly the same thing with her own mother. Anne lives near Bunbury, about 2 hours drive South of Perth.

Anne and I were in touch with each other every day at this stage, so I told Anne that Elaine had been told to go and be interviewed by one of the two AoS people in Perth. Anne's husband provided the AoS for his mother in law but he, Chris, works on a gas rig somewhere off the coast of Australia, so he is not at home that much. I asked Anne whether Centrelink would be likely to insist that Chris also went to the Perth CBD?

Anne said that there is a Centrelink office in Bunbury, so she went there and made enquiries. The staff told her to take all the documents and Chris to the office in Bunbury, so that the local staff could witness Chris's signature on the AoS application form. They said that they would then send all the documents to the AoS section at the Centrelink office in Perth. They said that in view of the exigencies of Chris's job, he would not be required to attend a Centrelink interview in person. One of the AoS staff would merely phone Chris if there were any queries.

Chris earns over $200K a year - he is a highly specialised hydraulic-mechanical Engineer or something, who knows about how to extract the gas from under the sea bed. He was earning way more than was necessary and Chris & Anne's children were adults by the time of the CPV application. Anne said that Centrelink did not phone Chris in the end.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Sandy

I agree with you 100%. For you, it was definitely worth having a go. In your case, I take my hat off to Dr Peter Goodall, who said straightaway that there was no reason why your particular type of MS should prevent you from getting a CPV. He was right and he was right about my own disabled mother as well. That man should be beatified imho.

Cheers

Gill

What a pity that Dr Peter Goodall is no longer on the Panel. I've spoken to him a couple of times, and he was very helpful and encouraging.

Does anyone know anything about the London panel doctors?

Mike