Guest guest36187

Bridge Clinic Maidenhead £193

Knightsbridge £220

Spire Hartswood £300, all per person

You could have a trip up the West End, do the business and still have £150 to spend in Harrods compared with Brentwood. :wink:

Lordy - even taking £40 in train fares into consideration, Knightsbridge is till much cheaper. Will definitely keep this in mind when the time comes (hopefully first quarter next year!)

Many thanks Les, really appreciate this.

Hi

Good luck with the weight loss, I managed 4 stone in 6 months 19 years ago and have never put it back on. I can't do 'diets' so I had my own plan and it worked. If you want to PM me maybe I can give you a few tips, but if you dont loose any weight, you are only size 18 after all, I have seen some pretty large women ix Oz :biglaugh:

Phoebe

I've lost 3 1/2 stone with Slimming World over the last 2 years and now size 16/18 (was 22). Been on a 'plateau' for 6 months but haven't put any back on. Would like to lose another 2 stone before we go if possible. Thinking of joining again in the next couple of months. I had an op recently (nothing life threatening) and can't exercise or drive for another month but hope to get back on track soon.

I have submitted papers for my wife and I to enter on a 173.

I have been following the reports on PIO for a few weeks now, and have found content most informative. Whilst I notice most of the contributions are from the UK, I in SA, still find them of value.

Are there any other people from SA going through this process?.

Well done to PIO for keeping us all in the loop.

Regards

Ernest

Guest Gollywobbler
I have submitted papers for my wife and I to enter on a 173.

I have been following the reports on PIO for a few weeks now, and have found content most informative. Whilst I notice most of the contributions are from the UK, I in SA, still find them of value.

Are there any other people from SA going through this process?.

Well done to PIO for keeping us all in the loop.

Regards

Ernest

Hi Ernest

Thank you very much for your very kind words.

People from South Africa definitely apply for CPVs. Somebody called Fanie (her real name - I can't remember her user name - posted on the British Expats site not long ago.)

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4 - Page 85 : British Expat Discussion Forum

I think that Fanie and her husband's CPVs have been granted.

I think that there are definitely some forums like this one that are based in SA and most of the contributors are from SA but I don't know what the forums are called.

However, it does not matter where you are from. The requirements for a CPV are the same and the AUD seems to be one of the strongest currencies in the world at the moment. Is the SA Rand really any worse than the GBP at the moment? I find it hard to imagine that anything could be worse than the GBP, frankly.

Cheers

Gill

The UK Border Agency makes this sort of information freely available, via its own website, to anybody who cares to wade through the website in order to find it and read it. The same is true of the official Government website about immigration to NZ. So what’s with DIAC hiding half of the relevant information on Legend?

DW says that the issue is cost. It would cost a fortune to make the DIAC website bigger than it already is. To keep the website as small as possible, it only contains skeletal information about anything.

That is what he says. I don’t know anything about websites but I do know that it is very expensive to buy extra memory for a commercial computer system and I assume that websites use computer memory? I don’t know whether the server makes any difference because presumably the Aussie Government owns the server via which both the DIAC website and Legend are transmitted through cyber-space?

So that is the position as at today, Mike.

Cheers

Gill

I have to say that this must simply be an excuse – computer memory (hard-disk storage) is extremely cheap! Maybe they simply don't have enough (semi-)skilled bods to post it on the website.

Mike

PS: As you know, we have communicated further privately on the main substance of your post. I'd just like to repeat my thanks publicly.

Hi Jill, thanks for the very prompt response.

On reading the numerous 173 / 143 'cases' it appears to be about 18 months from submission to admission - providing all goes well with the Medicals and Police Clearances.

The medicals should be understandably relatively quick, however it is envisaged that a time delay will be experienced in sending Fingerprints to Pretoria (from Durban), and waiting for clerarances - depending on their 'case load'.

Just a question, do people from other parts of the world also have to get Police Clearances?

Regards

Ernest

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Jill, thanks for the very prompt response.

On reading the numerous 173 / 143 'cases' it appears to be about 18 months from submission to admission - providing all goes well with the Medicals and Police Clearances.

The medicals should be understandably relatively quick, however it is envisaged that a time delay will be experienced in sending Fingerprints to Pretoria (from Durban), and waiting for clerarances - depending on their 'case load'.

Just a question, do people from other parts of the world also have to get Police Clearances?

Regards

Ernest

Hi Ernest

Everybody has to get police clearances but not everybody has to get fingerprints.

In the UK, getting the police clearances only takes a week or two. However British applicants are not asked for fingerprints.

Can you start organising the SA police clearance a couple of months before you think you would be likely to hear from a Case Officer? Would this be a way of avoiding delays?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, Firstly ,my apologies for spelling you name with a "J" as opposed to a "G".

I acklnowledge your suggestiion and after 14 months from submission, I will start the process re F/P clearances.

Regards

Ernerst

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill, Firstly ,my apologies for spelling you name with a "J" as opposed to a "G".

I acklnowledge your suggestiion and after 14 months from submission, I will start the process re F/P clearances.

Regards

Ernerst

Hi Ernest

Please don't worry about trivia like spelling! You can call me " 'Ere You" if you want to!

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

Have you seen the document above and found out exactly what the drills will be, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi,

Could you please tell me what is the waiting period for a CPV visa at the current time? Sadly, my f-i-l passed away all of a sudden and my dear m-i-l is all alone :-(. We are very keen to apply for a visa for my m-i-l (both her children live in Australia).

Many thanks.

Hi,

Could you please tell me what is the waiting period for a CPV visa at the current time? Sadly, my f-i-l passed away all of a sudden and my dear m-i-l is all alone :-(. We are very keen to apply for a visa for my m-i-l (both her children live in Australia).

Many thanks.

Hello

It's currently about 16-17 months from acknowledgement of application to getting a Case Officer, then say another couple of months to deal with medicals, character checks etc.

The tracker (small sample of applications) may help to give you some idea.

Best wishes

Steve

Thanks Gill,

I have taken an extract that is applicable to South Africahn residents.

May I ask a question that may be obvious - but is not to me - who is "Gollywobbler".

Regards

Ernest.

She is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. :wink:

Also known as she who never sleeps. :biggrin:

And a bloody fantastic mine of information, without whom, I would never had the courage to apply for CPV143 on my own, so thanks Gollywobbler (aka Gill) :notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help/advise/point me in the right direction with this question.

My OH is considering getting a qualification prior to (hopefully) making the move. The sensible thing would be to do get the qualification in Australia so he has an avenue to go down regarding working in Oz. I know when we go on a 3 month visa for a holiday we are not allowed to work but, would he be able to do a 'qualification course'??

We are going out there in April 2011 for the birth of our 3rd grand child and staying for 2 months so it would be the perfect time to do it.

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help/advise/point me in the right direction with this question.

My OH is considering getting a qualification prior to (hopefully) making the move. The sensible thing would be to do get the qualification in Australia so he has an avenue to go down regarding working in Oz. I know when we go on a 3 month visa for a holiday we are not allowed to work but, would he be able to do a 'qualification course'??

We are going out there in April 2011 for the birth of our 3rd grand child and staying for 2 months so it would be the perfect time to do it.

Phoebe

Hi Pheobe

You are allowed to study whilst on a visitor visa as long as you do not study for more than 3 months. You might have to pay international student rates for the course though - I am not sure.

What does your OH do, though? I ask because I might be able to tell you about a chap who would be able to organise a suitable course or a Recognition of Prior Learning certificate for Hubby, though whether I know who the right person to help might be depends on Hubby's occupation.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Pheobe

You are allowed to study whilst on a visitor visa as long as you do not study for more than 3 months. You might have to pay international student rates for the course though - I am not sure.

What does your OH do, though? I ask because I might be able to tell you about a chap who would be able to organise a suitable course or a Recognition of Prior Learning certificate for Hubby, though whether I know who the right person to help might be depends on Hubby's occupation.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

I posted this once but internet went down so forgive me if it is repeated.

Hubby is actually a qualified joiner and commercial diver, but he is too old at 55 to start his diving career up again :laugh:

He is actually interested in doing a locksmiths course and feels that if he did it an Oz qualification would be better than a UK one. He has always been good with lock, keys etc. Given that there isn't a lot of financial help in Oz as you get older it's also a trade he could carry on well past retirement age, even on a part time basis and it would add another string to his bow. :wink:

Phoebe

Hi Gill

I posted this once but internet went down so forgive me if it is repeated.

Hubby is actually a qualified joiner and commercial diver, but he is too old at 55 to start his diving career up again :laugh:

He is actually interested in doing a locksmiths course and feels that if he did it an Oz qualification would be better than a UK one. He has always been good with lock, keys etc. Given that there isn't a lot of financial help in Oz as you get older it's also a trade he could carry on well past retirement age, even on a part time basis and it would add another string to his bow.

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

What a good idea, maybe for us too, if out brains haven't stagnated. Will run it by Colin too perhaps start a new direction !!

regards

Sandy

Hi Pheobe

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

We will look into the rates etc, it's just an idea he's thinking over ATM.:cute:

I emailed the immigration people and they have confirmed what you have said, so thankyou. It seems if you want to study for more than 3 months you have to apply for a student visa rather than the usual visitor visa we normally get but the course woul only be 1-2 weeks :biggrin: it's definatly a useful thing to know.

Good luck with that Yomvard :wink:

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

He is actually interested in doing a locksmiths course and feels that if he did it an Oz qualification would be better than a UK one. He has always been good with lock, keys etc. Given that there isn't a lot of financial help in Oz as you get older it's also a trade he could carry on well past retirement age, even on a part time basis and it would add another string to his bow. :wink:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I think that becoming a Locksmith is a really good idea. There is a great demand for them in Oz, I am told. I would suggest that when you are in Oz next year, it would ne sensible for your OH to contact the local Locksmiths working in the area where you will be.

Apparently there are no formal qualifications for Locksmiths in the UK. In Oz, however, a budding Locksmith can get a formal qualification, which is the AQF III. (AQF is the Australian Qualifications Framework, which is similar to the NVQ system in the UK.)

I know that you plan to settle in SE Queensland, in the Gold Coast area. I don't know whether it is really necessary to do an AQF III. The job vacancy section in the local newspapers might tell you about this. Also a chat with the MLAA might be worthwhile during your visit to Oz:

Home

However it is one of the most sensible plans that I have ever heard about what someone of your OH's age might do once he has settled in Oz, so I reckon that he ought to do really well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Phoebe

I think that becoming a Locksmith is a really good idea. There is a great demand for them in Oz, I am told. I would suggest that when you are in Oz next year, it would ne sensible for your OH to contact the local Locksmiths working in the area where you will be.

Apparently there are no formal qualifications for Locksmiths in the UK. In Oz, however, a budding Locksmith can get a formal qualification, which is the AQF III. (AQF is the Australian Qualifications Framework, which is similar to the NVQ system in the UK.)

I know that you plan to settle in SE Queensland, in the Gold Coast area. I don't know whether it is really necessary to do an AQF III. The job vacancy section in the local newspapers might tell you about this. Also a chat with the MLAA might be worthwhile during your visit to Oz:

Home

However it is one of the most sensible plans that I have ever heard about what someone of your OH's age might do once he has settled in Oz, so I reckon that he ought to do really well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for the link Gill I will pass it on to OH.

Jupiters is an amazing building, we went there last time we were in Oz to see a show and only a 10 minute drive from where my daughter lives :biggrin:

Phoebe