Guest guest36187

Hi Gill

Thanks for the link Gill I will pass it on to OH.

Jupiters is an amazing building, we went there last time we were in Oz to see a show and only a 10 minute drive from where my daughter lives :biggrin:

Phoebe

Yep, a great place of entertainment and a jaw dropping experience on first visit

Hi peeps, Could anyone help please regarding adult step children.

My fiance and I would like to get married before we lodge our CPV application based on the balance of family visa. I have two natural children in Aus already and one adult child in the UK. My partner has two adult children. If we marry before we go for the visa we have been told that my fiance's children will upset the balance of family - ie instead of one child UK and 2 children in oz, when we marry we will have 3 children in UK and 2 in aus. I hope this makes sense to you!

Could anyone clarify this for me please.

Thank you so much

Annie

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi peeps, Could anyone help please regarding adult step children.

My fiance and I would like to get married before we lodge our CPV application based on the balance of family visa. I have two natural children in Aus already and one adult child in the UK. My partner has two adult children. If we marry before we go for the visa we have been told that my fiance's children will upset the balance of family - ie instead of one child UK and 2 children in oz, when we marry we will have 3 children in UK and 2 in aus. I hope this makes sense to you!

Could anyone clarify this for me please.

Thank you so much

Annie

Hi Annie

I have moved your post into this thread because this thread is devoted to the many issues surrounding Parent migration to Oz, which the other thread was not. That other thread was to do with Child Visas, which are completely different.

The issue in your case is that you and your OH both want to migrate to Australia together but between you, you and he have 5 children. Out of the 5 children, two children live in Oz but the other 3 children live in the UK, so the Balance of Family Test is not met, unfortunately:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

Nothing turns on whether or not you and your OH are legally married or not. It does not alter the Balance of Family Test, unfortunately.

The only reason I can think of why you were not told this by the person that you asked is because the person might have had a (now dead) legal device known as "The Parent Two-Step" in mind. The Two-Step involved one of the Parents getting a CPV 143. As soon as the CPV had been granted and was validated, that Parent became a Permanent Resident of Australia. Armed with this status, the Parent with the CPV immediately sponsored the other one for a Spouse/Partner visa next.

It was a loophole and it worked well for a few years. Using the loophole would save money for the couple concerned. It would get round the Balance of Family Test as well - but the loophole was partially blocked in about June 2009.

It is no longer possible to do the Two-Step immediately, although it can still be done. The way it would work in your case is as follows:

You get the CPV 143 by yourself because you are the one who can meet the BoF Test on your own. You validate the CPV and you make sure that you then spend enough of your time in Oz to enable you to qualify for a Resident Return Visa 4-5 years after your CPV has been granted:

Five Year Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)

Once you have held your CPV for 5 years (ie 5 years after it was granted) you sponsor your OH for a Partner visa next:

Partner Migration Booklet

There is a fair amount of jiggery pokery with the idea.

It is NOT impossible to do it. It also seems to be the only way that will work for you and your OH. However, is it worth the jiggery pokery? I'd be saying, "Yes" but the end-decision will be made by you and your OH.

Please let me know what you think?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, Thank you so much for your quick reply. We will talk about the implications tonight and think what to do here. Am I to believe that we shouldn't get married before I apply for the CPV?

The other alternative is to get one of my fiance's children to come out to under his own visa - is that right?

Would we qualify then for a CPV?

Thank you so much Gill

Annie

Hi Gill, Thank you so much for your quick reply. We will talk about the implications tonight and think what to do here. Am I to believe that we shouldn't get married before I apply for the CPV?

The other alternative is to get one of my fiance's children to come out to under his own visa - is that right?

Thank you so much Gill

Annie

Hi Annie

Gill is the one to keep you right but I do know if you have more children including step children living in Oz then you would pass the BOF test. You would be able to apply for CPV but i beleive they all have to be permenant residents which they can only apply for when they have lived in Oz for 2 years. Someone please correct ne if I am wrong

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler

Thank you so much Gill

Annie

Hi Annie

When you get married - or even whether you get married - is irrelevant as far as DIAC are concerned. Their only concern is that you and your OH want to emigrate to Australia together but between you, you and he have 5 children. With only 2 out of the 5 in Australia, the Balance of Family Test is not met so please don't apply for a CPV at this stage because DIAC would have to refuse it and $1,735 AUD would simply go down the drain, I suspect. I don't think they give the money back in this situation.

If any one of the remaining 3 children emigrates to Australia then the Balance of Family Test would be met and you could go ahead and apply for CPVs at that stage. It doesn't matter whether the third child to migrate is your own remaining child or one of your fiance's children.

I absolutely hate it when it is necessary to tell people that they do not meet the Balance of Family Test. It is a very draconian, arbitrary test but DIAC enforce it very strictly.

With regard to the third child migrating to Oz, how old is the child in question and what does s/he do for a living, please? Unless the third child strikes up a long term relationship with an Aussie, the third child would have to obtain a skilled visa. In 2010, it has become more difficult to do that then ever before. The Aussie Government have really clamped down hard and most would-be skilled migrants are suffering as a result. I think it will undoubtedly get worse before it gets better.

I think the possibility of one of the remaining 3 children migrating to Oz should be explored, though.

Please tell me what the relevant child does and his/her age, then we can take it from there.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Everyone,

I know that it's very late but my daughter has just texted me to say that she has had THE email from my CO. It came in yesterday and she nearly missed it in her spam mail.

Even though I was expecting it any week now I can't believe it!!!

After all the waiting and seeing all the others ahead of me eventually getting their visas, I can hardly contain myself. I won't sleep much tonight.

One closer for the ones still waiting.

Steve, can you update my timeline please?

June (junejuno)

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Everyone,

I know that it's very late but my daughter has just texted me to say that she has had THE email from my CO. It came in yesterday and she nearly missed it in her spam mail.

After all the waiting and seeing all the others ahead of me eventually getting their visas, I can hardly contain myself. I won't sleep much tonight.

June (junejuno)

Hi Wow

This is wonderful news!!! You are nearly there now and with a bit of luck, your visa will be a splendid Christmas present for you and your family.

Steve does not receive automatic e-mail notifications when somebody adds to a thread on Poms in Oz. He does get them with the big CPV thread on BE. Might I suggest that you ask him on BE as well because he might not log on to Poms in Oz again for a few days, particularly since PiO will be going off line at 10.30 am this morning and will be off line for several hours today.

The forum is being moved to a new server later on today/tonight and apparently it is safer to take the forum off line before they do the move. Then they will test it thoroughly in its "new home" and make sure it all works properly before they put it back on-line. Rob (Site Admin) is an IT Professional of some kind so he obviously understands the whole thing properly. He is a good job that somebody does because I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it all myself!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Wow

This is wonderful news!!! You are nearly there now and with a bit of luck, your visa will be a splendid Christmas present for you and your family.

Steve does not receive automatic e-mail notifications when somebody adds to a thread on Poms in Oz. He does get them with the big CPV thread on BE. Might I suggest that you ask him on BE as well because he might not log on to Poms in Oz again for a few days, particularly since PiO will be going off line at 10.30 am this morning and will be off line for several hours today.

The forum is being moved to a new server later on today/tonight and apparently it is safer to take the forum off line before they do the move. Then they will test it thoroughly in its "new home" and make sure it all works properly before they put it back on-line. Rob (Site Admin) is an IT Professional of some kind so he obviously understands the whole thing properly. He is a good job that somebody does because I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it all myself!

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill. It's so exciting and very real now as you just never know until you get the word. Suddenly it's all happening and I thank you especially Gill, for all your help this far as well as all the support from other forum hopefuls as we make this very big change in our lives.

I will post on BE also as you suggest.

Regards, June

Hi Everyone,

June (junejuno)

Congratulations! Hope it all goes really smoothly for you. Excellent news to hear another person is on their way! Best wishes Gill :laugh:

Thanks Gill. It's so exciting and very real now as you just never know until you get the word. Suddenly it's all happening and I thank you especially Gill, for all your help this far as well as all the support from other forum hopefuls as we make this very big change in our lives.

I will post on BE also as you suggest.

Regards, June

Just wanted to add my best wishes to you on the next step

CONGRATULATIONS :jiggy:

Phoebe

Just wanted to add my best wishes to you on the next step

CONGRATULATIONS :jiggy:

Phoebe

Many thanks Phoebe and Gilll. It is really starting to sink in now and it's so very exciting. It will be your turn before you can turn around so start sorting your stuff NOW !!! LOL

Many thanks Phoebe and Gilll. It is really starting to sink in now and it's so very exciting. It will be your turn before you can turn around so start sorting your stuff NOW !!! LOL

Soooo chuffed for you. :cool:

I can have my stuff sorted in a week :biggrin:

OH on the other hand......:swoon:

Phoebe

Hi guys

I wanted to get some info about parent visas and the best way to go.

My parents are currently in the Uk mum 44 dad 47, My perm visa should be granted in the nest few months and im looking at way to get my parents out here.

My dad is a landscape gardner with 20+ years experience and running his own business. Although he has no formal qualifications in this area.

My mum works as a secretary for a company in the UK that has now just opened branches in Oz in the Brisbane area.

I understand that they are most likely too old for the skilled and sponsored visas, so need to look at other routes.

Im not sure what they best visa to apply for is as I know there is a massive wait with parent visas, I have looked at the temp contributary parent visa as its my understanding that this visa may only take up to two years? I wondered if you apply for this visa then apply for the cpv perm do you get a bridging visa from one to another? So they wouldnt have to leave Oz after being here for 2 years on the temp?

I also wanted to know as I have a younger brother who is 21 if he is classed as a dependant he lives at home with my parents but wasnt sure if he had to be under 18 to be a dependant.

Thank you for any info anyone can give.

Fluffy :wubclub:

Guest guest36187

I wanted to get some info about parent visas and the best way to go.

My parents are currently in the Uk mum 44 dad 47, My perm visa should be granted in the nest few months and im looking at way to get my parents out here.

First things first, how long have you been out here?

Secondly...How many siblings do you have? There is a balance of family test that has to be met before you go on with a parent visa. There has to be equal or more kids in Oz to meet it. EG: There is me and my brother. 1 in each country so my mum and dad met it.

My dad is a landscape gardner with 20+ years experience and running his own business. Although he has no formal qualifications in this area.

My mum works as a secretary for a company in the UK that has now just opened branches in Oz in the Brisbane area.

I understand that they are most likely too old for the skilled and sponsored visas, so need to look at other routes.

Not necessaruly too old for skilled but I have no idea on that side of things.

Im not sure what they best visa to apply for is as I know there is a massive wait with parent visas, I have looked at the temp contributary parent visa as its my understanding that this visa may only take up to two years? I wondered if you apply for this visa then apply for the cpv perm do you get a bridging visa from one to another? So they wouldnt have to leave Oz after being here for 2 years on the temp?

Temp CPV is a L-O-N-G wait! We`re talking YEARS! The permanent CPV is the 2 year (approx) wait and that one costs!

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

This is the link for the CPV143 - permanent parent visa

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173)

Link for the 173 the temp CPV

Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Link for the 103 parent visa.

I also wanted to know as I have a younger brother who is 21 if he is classed as a dependant he lives at home with my parents but wasnt sure if he had to be under 18 to be a dependant.

At 21 I would have thought that he would not be classed as dependant. Does he work? Study?

This may not answer all your questions but it is a start. I`d recommend doing some reading on the family visas first to see if you qualify first,

Thank you so much for all your info.

There is just me and my brother so we meet the family balance test.

My brother is working full time with my dad.

So the temp cpv still takes a very long time (pants)

I didnt know if my mums work could transfer her to Oz wasnt sure how that 1 worked either.

I think I need to do some more research.

Thanks again

Temp CPV is a L-O-N-G wait! We`re talking YEARS! The permanent CPV is the 2 year (approx) wait and that one costs!

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

This is the link for the CPV143 - permanent parent visa

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173)

Link for the 173 the temp CPV

Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Link for the 103 parent visa.

G'day.

I hate to contradict a Moderator, but surely it's the non-contrib parent visa (103) that's very slow.

A contributory temp CPV (173) is the same speed as a perm (143) – about 18–20 months currently (see Australian migration, contributory parent visa, information and progress tracker) but you don't have to put up so much dosh when you first get it – you pay the rest (plus a smallish bit extra) when you upgrade to a full 143, which you can do in Oz (yoou have to apply within 2 years) and which only takes a few months.

Mike

Thank you so much for all your info.

There is just me and my brother so we meet the family balance test.

My brother is working full time with my dad.

So the temp cpv still takes a very long time (pants)

I didnt know if my mums work could transfer her to Oz wasnt sure how that 1 worked either.

I think I need to do some more research.

Thanks again

Hi fluffy

I don't know a lot about visas (apart from CPV ones but I do know my daughter and SIL went out there 3 years ago on a sponsored 457 visa. It's well worth your mam persueing the transfer with work option. I know my daughters 457.visa cost a LOT less than the CPV we have to go for. :swoon:

The parent visa just isn't worth looking at last I heard it was around 15 years but ot depends where you look!! MikeandSue is spot on with the CPV's temporary and permanent :biggrin:

Reading up is a must there are lots of financial implications to consider. Good luck to your parents on their journey.

Phoebe

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Fluffy

The temporary CPV does not take any longer to be processed than an application for a permanent CPV. Joanne is getting muddled up between the Contributory Parent visas and the non-contributory Parent subclass 103 visa.

Landscape Gardeners are in demand in Australia. At 47, Dad is not too old for a skilled visa as long as he can find a willing and eligible employer to sponsor him. He will find the whole thing considerably easier if he looks for an employer-sponsor who is based in Regional QLD rather than anywhere too close to Brisbane.

I would suggest that you send a PM to Linda Irvine, who has recently gone down the very route that I suggest for your Dad:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/linda-irvine.html

Linda's OH is a Plumber/gas fitter aged about 54. The relevant child has Permanent Residency in Oz and lives in Brisbane. Linda's OH found an employer-sponsor in Gympie, QLD, which I gather is about a 2 hour drive from wherever their child lives in Brisbane. To start with, the employer offered a temporary sc 457 visa:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

They accepted the 457 visa and moved to Gympie. Later, the employer offered to sponsor them for an RSMS visa subclass 857:

Skilled Workers Permanent Visa Options- Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

The RSMS visa was granted earlier in 2010, so Linda and her OH are now Permanent Residents of Australia in their own right. The deal is that Linda's OH needs to stay in Regional Oz for another 2 years after the grant of the RSMS visa, preferably working for the same guy in Gympie but once the two years is up, they can wave goodbye to the employer in Gympie and can move to wherever their child lives in Brisbane if they want to. What they do, and where they go, after the two years is up will be totally in the hands of Linda's family alone.

Does your Dad have any formal qualifications as a Landscape Gardener? If so, how did he get those qualifications? Did he get them as a result of doing an apprenticeship as a Landscape Gardener or did he simply do the job for many years and then go to College later in order to obtain a formal qualification? What qualification does he hold? I need to know the level of the qualification as well as its name, please.

If he does not have any formal qualifications as a Landscape Gardener, it might be well worth Dad's while to obtain the Aussie AQF III qualification in this occupation instead:

https://www.australianskillassessments.com/index.php

Darren Le'ake, who runs Australian Skill Assessments, is based in the UK and the whole thing can be done from within the UK.

If Dad got his AQF III certificate and then got a positive skills assessment from TRA under Pathway E, it would be easier to argue that Dad comes within the age-exemption for an RSMS visa:

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

As against that, it would seem that your Parents are eligible to apply for a Contributory Parent visa instead. Whether they apply for the Temporary CPV 173 visa to start with and upgrade it to the Permanent CPV 143 later or whether they apply for a CPV 143 from the outset is irrelevant. It will take 18-24 months to process the application regardless of which CPV they apply for:

I'd be inclined to apply for the CPV 143 from the start and be done with it, which is what we decided to do about my mother in the end. I was in two minds about which one to choose (giving me a choice is a Bad Idea!) My sister, in Perth, said, "If it is possible to apply for the CPV 143 visa immediately then do so. Otherwise we will be messing about with DIAC, form filling and visas for 3 or 4 years. Let us do this once only instead and get it out of the way once and for all!" So I did as she said.

The CPV is the visa they could definitely get and they could get it relatively quickly. It is not cheap but it is do-able, certain and relatively quick. It is the bird in the hand whereas the RSMS idea is the two in the bush. Most migration agents would tend to push your parents towards a CPV because that is the visa that they could definitely obtain. Anything else is less certain to succeed.

You say that you are now a Permanent Resident of Australia. Are you certain? Which exact visa do you hold, please, and does your visa label say, "Permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely"? Please confirm.

If you are right and you definitely are a Permanent Resident as you say, the next question would be whether or not you are also a *settled* permanent resident as yet? In order to sponsor your Parents, it is imperative for you to be able to demonstrate that you are *settled* before the CPV application is made:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Finally, your brother. DIAC would not say that he is financially dependent on your parents because he has been working, apparently, albeit that he has been working for Dad.

How long has your brother been doing Landscape Gardening? Has he been doing a formal or informal apprenticeship? What formal qualifications does he have? Brother needs to go onto the back burner with visas for the moment because we need to wait and see what the SMPs say about Landscape Gardeners once the SMPs have been published, which will finally happen during October 2010, we all hope!

If all else fails though, has Brother ever had a Working Holiday visa? In his case, a WH visa might lead to a Remaining Relative visa application later on, though the skilled visa route would be far more likely to get PR for Brother in less time:

A Remaining Relative counts as "other family" so please play with that option.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Fluffy

The temporary CPV does not take any longer to be processed than an application for a permanent CPV. Joanne is getting muddled up between the Contributory Parent visas and the non-contributory Parent subclass 103 visa.

Landscape Gardeners are in demand in Australia. At 47, Dad is not too old for a skilled visa as long as he can find a willing and eligible employer to sponsor him. He will find the whole thing considerably easier if he looks for an employer-sponsor who is based in Regional QLD rather than anywhere too close to Brisbane.

I would suggest that you send a PM to Linda Irvine, who has recently gone down the very route that I suggest for your Dad:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/linda-irvine.html

Linda's OH is a Plumber/gas fitter aged about 54. The relevant child has Permanent Residency in Oz and lives in Brisbane. Linda's OH found an employer-sponsor in Gympie, QLD, which I gather is about a 2 hour drive from wherever their child lives in Brisbane. To start with, the employer offered a temporary sc 457 visa:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

They accepted the 457 visa and moved to Gympie. Later, the employer offered to sponsor them for an RSMS visa subclass 857:

Skilled Workers Permanent Visa Options- Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

The RSMS visa was granted earlier in 2010, so Linda and her OH are now Permanent Residents of Australia in their own right. The deal is that Linda's OH needs to stay in Regional Oz for another 2 years after the grant of the RSMS visa, preferably working for the same guy in Gympie but once the two years is up, they can wave goodbye to the employer in Gympie and can move to wherever their child lives in Brisbane if they want to. What they do, and where they go, after the two years is up will be totally in the hands of Linda's family alone.

Does your Dad have any formal qualifications as a Landscape Gardener? If so, how did he get those qualifications? Did he get them as a result of doing an apprenticeship as a Landscape Gardener or did he simply do the job for many years and then go to College later in order to obtain a formal qualification? What qualification does he hold? I need to know the level of the qualification as well as its name, please.

If he does not have any formal qualifications as a Landscape Gardener, it might be well worth Dad's while to obtain the Aussie AQF III qualification in this occupation instead:

https://www.australianskillassessments.com/index.php

Darren Le'ake, who runs Australian Skill Assessments, is based in the UK and the whole thing can be done from within the UK.

If Dad got his AQF III certificate and then got a positive skills assessment from TRA under Pathway E, it would be easier to argue that Dad comes within the age-exemption for an RSMS visa:

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

As against that, it would seem that your Parents are eligible to apply for a Contributory Parent visa instead. Whether they apply for the Temporary CPV 173 visa to start with and upgrade it to the Permanent CPV 143 later or whether they apply for a CPV 143 from the outset is irrelevant. It will take 18-24 months to process the application regardless of which CPV they apply for:

I'd be inclined to apply for the CPV 143 from the start and be done with it, which is what we decided to do about my mother in the end. I was in two minds about which one to choose (giving me a choice is a Bad Idea!) My sister, in Perth, said, "If it is possible to apply for the CPV 143 visa immediately then do so. Otherwise we will be messing about with DIAC, form filling and visas for 3 or 4 years. Let us do this once only instead and get it out of the way once and for all!" So I did as she said.

The CPV is the visa they could definitely get and they could get it relatively quickly. It is not cheap but it is do-able, certain and relatively quick. It is the bird in the hand whereas the RSMS idea is the two in the bush. Most migration agents would tend to push your parents towards a CPV because that is the visa that they could definitely obtain. Anything else is less certain to succeed.

You say that you are now a Permanent Resident of Australia. Are you certain? Which exact visa do you hold, please, and does your visa label say, "Permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely"? Please confirm.

If you are right and you definitely are a Permanent Resident as you say, the next question would be whether or not you are also a *settled* permanent resident as yet? In order to sponsor your Parents, it is imperative for you to be able to demonstrate that you are *settled* before the CPV application is made:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Finally, your brother. DIAC would not say that he is financially dependent on your parents because he has been working, apparently, albeit that he has been working for Dad.

How long has your brother been doing Landscape Gardening? Has he been doing a formal or informal apprenticeship? What formal qualifications does he have? Brother needs to go onto the back burner with visas for the moment because we need to wait and see what the SMPs say about Landscape Gardeners once the SMPs have been published, which will finally happen during October 2010, we all hope!

If all else fails though, has Brother ever had a Working Holiday visa? In his case, a WH visa might lead to a Remaining Relative visa application later on, though the skilled visa route would be far more likely to get PR for Brother in less time:

A Remaining Relative counts as "other family" so please play with that option.

Cheers

Gill

Thank you so much for your detailed help, I will definalty be looking into each of these ideas, currently my vias hasnt been granted an ENS 121 is what I have applied for an it has been with immi for nearly 6 months so I should here back soon, I have been in Australia for 2years on various visas.

My dad currently has no formal Quals, however has worked in the industry for over 20 years so I think doing the AQF III would be a very good idea.

My brother also doesnt have formal quals however started his degree that is computer related which I think is on the skilled list.

The part about my dad and the RSMS, Its all very interesting and I will be looking into each area with my family in detail.

Thank you again.

:wubclub:

Have just come back from Australia visiting my children, grand daughter and brand new grandson...Anyway I opened an ANZ bank acct. It's and Internet acct. I have emailed my bank as to how I transfer money and costs but they have not answered ( so much for customer service !) Any ideas??

Have just come back from Australia visiting my children, grand daughter and brand new grandson...Anyway I opened an ANZ bank acct. It's and Internet acct. I have emailed my bank as to how I transfer money and costs but they have not answered ( so much for customer service !) Any ideas??

Hi

I'm not sure if this is any help but when I go to Oz on holiday I usually transfer a sum of money (around the £1000 mark) into an Account my daughter has, I just do it through internet banking and my bank charges me £1 for an overseas transaction.

Not sure if that would be the same thing :confused:

Phoebe