Guest guest36187

.....I think the financial side is a worry for all of us. Is there any way you would be able to stay with your family for a while until you get yourselves sorted and find jobs? You could share bills etc.

We intend to do this for a while so we can check out banking the house money and renting versus buying.

Hi, Renting v Buying

Around Brisbane with 'houses' that are for sale up to around $400,000 they often suggest that said property will rent for 0.1% of the asking price per week, i.e. $400.

That would mean a rent of $20,800 per year.

If you could afford to buy that property but banked the money that $400,000 would earn $24,000 in interest if banked at 6% in a Oz bank, a rate that is not hard to find in Oz. That could mean an option to rent for a time at no real cost, as long as property prices do not take off in Oz.

When we started out on this CPV the $400,000 would have cost £200,000 to buy, today that same amount of dollars cost £250,000. :arghh:

Hi, Renting v Buying

When we started out on this CPV the $400,000 would have cost £200,000 to buy, today that same amount of dollars cost £250,000. :arghh:

I think that might be the way to go, rent for a short time then consider buying depending on the work side of things, but still not sure :wacko:

Phoebe

Hi, Renting v Buying

Around Brisbane with 'houses' that are for sale up to around $400,000 they often suggest that said property will rent for 0.1% of the asking price per week, i.e. $400.

That would mean a rent of $20,800 per year.

If you could afford to buy that property but banked the money that $400,000 would earn $24,000 in interest if banked at 6% in a Oz bank, a rate that is not hard to find in Oz. That could mean an option to rent for a time at no real cost, as long as property prices do not take off in Oz.

I have thought some more about this and note the following.

We are all aware of the poor exchange rate so our current thinking has been don't change £s yet.

However taking the example above, if one left £250,000 in the UK at a best rate of 3% it would earn £7500 in the UK, that would convert to $12,000 or half the amount that could be earned in Oz if one exchanged right away (all figures before tax).

I know we are expecting/wishing/praying the exchange rate will improve but despite all the reasons often given the rate has only gone in one direction in the last 2 years.

In the last year the rate has only been 10% higher than it is now (for about 3 days only) so to make leaving money in the UK, unless interest rates improve (unlikely for a while) one needs to be certain that the exchange rate will improve, something it has not been showing any real signs of.

It seems that the options are more evenly balanced than we first thought.

Sorry for a bit of a ramble, just trying to get some thoughts down, please feel free to pick to pieces.

Les

Hi Linday

Unfortunatly thats not an option now as they are in a rented 3 bed house with 2 girls age 6 and 4 and a new baby due in April :twitcy:

Phoebe

How lovely! I bet you can't wait to be with your grandchildren. My daughter is expecting our first grandchild in May. I think it's a question of what price to be with your family. We have had to lower our sights a little due to exchange rate, rubbish pensions etc. Building a granny flat sounds a good idea. We haven't looked at this yet but my daughter told us about a company in Perth called 'Babyboomers' who build smaller properties mainly for 'downsizers'. I don't know if they are in Queensland as well.

How lovely! I bet you can't wait to be with your grandchildren. My daughter is expecting our first grandchild in May. I think it's a question of what price to be with your family. We have had to lower our sights a little due to exchange rate, rubbish pensions etc. Building a granny flat sounds a good idea. We haven't looked at this yet but my daughter told us about a company in Perth called 'Babyboomers' who build smaller properties mainly for 'downsizers'. I don't know if they are in Queensland as well.

Well at the end of the day alll we really want is a 1 bed granny flat with some outside space. Bed setees always come in handy in the living room for stopovers :wink:

Phoebe

Hi guys,

FWIW, I got a Subclass 103 parent visa application through this week for a couple whose queue date was 03 December 2002 although the application was self-lodged about two years before that.

That should give you an idea of the time line for a non-CPV application.

Cheers,

Les

Hi folks - we joined the 103 visa queue some years back and have been using visit visas to join family in the meantime. When we originally researched this, we read something about the length of time parents could stay in Oz after reaching 65 (men) and 64(women). We thought there was relaxation on having to leave the country. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Cheers Paul

:biglaugh::biglaugh:YES, YES, YES, Break out the booze, we have a Case Officer!!!!!! We had hoped for before Christmas, and the request arrived this morning via email. We received our Police checks yesterday, so now have to book Medicals and find a big wodge of money!!!!! and SELL the house!!!!! Some how have to concentrate on a days work before celebrating

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

This is the first time I have written on this site but I have recently applied for my CPV143 and I have registered with Steve the Tracker but I am not sure how to contact him regarding my position. I know I have a long wait as it was only acknowledged on the 1st October 2010 but will need to know for the future.Perhaps someone can help me and I would always be interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

Just shout if you need any help - I can get you on the tracker or update your record. I should be checking this thread more frequently now (just moved over to Oz - still a bit chaotic here!!).

Best wishes

Steve

:biglaugh::biglaugh:YES, YES, YES, Break out the booze, we have a Case Officer!!!!!! We had hoped for before Christmas, and the request arrived this morning via email. We received our Police checks yesterday, so now have to book Medicals and find a big wodge of money!!!!! and SELL the house!!!!! Some how have to concentrate on a days work before celebrating

Nice one. There are few things in life that make people so happy to part with their wealth as a CPV:biggrin:

I guess you are better known to me as framboy in another place (you have to be so careful these days on these forums :policeman:).

It is such a shame that your day came when people who have known of your journey have got somewhat distracted over something else. Wish you all the best. Les

Because I am 5 years away from my pension age (hubby is 10) I contacted the internation pensions line today and spoke to a lovely helpful girl. She advised me to get a pensions forecast, even gave me the number:biggrin:

We had a long chat about my family in Oz and the fact I would leave a son in the UK, she told me that although our pensions would be frozen once in Oz, if we came back to the UK to visit our son, I just have to ring them and for the duration I am back in the UK, I will receive my pension at the current UK rate !!

This was certainly news to me.....but good news :jiggy:

Phoebe

Congratulations! What a great feeling it must be. Good luck with everything. We are about a year behind you.

Hi folks - we joined the 103 visa queue some years back and have been using visit visas to join family in the meantime. When we originally researched this, we read something about the length of time parents could stay in Oz after reaching 65 (men) and 64(women). We thought there was relaxation on having to leave the country. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Cheers Paul

I am not quite sure about this. Are you maybe thinking of the Aged Parent visa which I believe you can only apply for once one partner is over 65. I know that people do apply for this onshore. However, I understand it is illegal to travel to Australia with the sole purpose of emigrating, although people do do it I think. Alsoyou may have a 'No further stay' condition put on your visitor visa which prevents you from applying for another visa while in Australia. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Because I am 5 years away from my pension age (hubby is 10) I contacted the internation pensions line today and spoke to a lovely helpful girl. She advised me to get a pensions forecast, even gave me the number:biggrin:

We had a long chat about my family in Oz and the fact I would leave a son in the UK, she told me that although our pensions would be frozen once in Oz, if we came back to the UK to visit our son, I just have to ring them and for the duration I am back in the UK, I will receive my pension at the current UK rate !!

This was certainly news to me.....but good news :jiggy:

Phoebe

Just to add as well: You may not also know that if you put off claiming your pension for a while when you are entitled you can actually receive an increased pension when you do start to draw it. This is what I have done at the moment so that when i move to Oz it will be frozen at the increased level.

Guest chicklet

To PhoebeW and Sandch

I have tried to send an email to cpvtracker@gainwave.co.uk without success so I would be grateful if you could help me. I am new to Poms in oz so am not very au fait with different procedures.I know I only applied for my 143 visa in October 2010 but would like to keep track of it over the coming year or so.Here's hoping you can help me thanks

Chicklet

Well done steveandeileen - what a great Christmas present. Confirm you went directly for the 143. Pse forgive my questions: Did you go for your Police Clearance before a Case Officer had been appointed?. Once you have your medicals done and submit them, how long is it anticipated before you get the official Green Light of acceptance to move. Yes the next daunting task is the selling of ones house.

I think we all anxiously await the same process.

Regards

Ernest

Just to add as well: You may not also know that if you put off claiming your pension for a while when you are entitled you can actually receive an increased pension when you do start to draw it. This is what I have done at the moment so that when i move to Oz it will be frozen at the increased level.

I was asked the question "would I be taking it when it was due" but no reason was given so I answered yes........do you know if there is there a limit as to how long it can be left.....X number of years?? :wideeyed:

Phoebe

I was asked the question "would I be taking it when it was due" but no reason was given so I answered yes........do you know if there is there a limit as to how long it can be left.....X number of years?? :wideeyed:

Phoebe

It sounds a sweet idea to roll up your pension for a few years and then take a higher pension but they only pay you while you're alive, so you could, for example, roll it over for five years, start collecting your new higher pension for a week and then.....:swoon:

Well the British Government would love you lots.

On average there should be very little difference in what you would get.

Answers to your questions, yes we went for 143 CPV straight from the start, we saw on gainwave that we were getting close to Case Officer, so applied for Police Checks 2 weeks ago and they came yesterday. Medicals booked today for the 16/12, but we could have had an earlier date. The email from Aus said we have 49 days to get information to them, and from what we have seen before, once they receive everything you get your visa.

It sounds a sweet idea to roll up your pension for a few years and then take a higher pension but they only pay you while you're alive, so you could, for example, roll it over for five years, start collecting your new higher pension for a week and then.....:swoon:

Well the British Government would love you lots.

On average there should be very little difference in what you would get.

Good point!

Phoebe

I had a look on the state pension website but couldn't find the answer. Here's the link

State Pension deferral - taking up your State Pension later : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning