Guest guest36187

Guest sirmatt101
Best of luck to you and LadyMatt, hope the flight goes well for you both.

Another job they keep advertising is bus drivers, big depo near where your daughter lives, bit bigger than a moped, but drier working conditions :wink:.

May see you some time, if we ever get there.

Meds this coming Saturday and our son has an appointment at Centrelink this Wednesday to make an appointment for the interview for Aos, (not allowed to do it over the phone) don't ask. :cry:

Hi Les, thanks for the good wishes. When were out in Oz at the end of 2009/beginning 2010 we used the buses into Brisbane a lot, and they all had the adverts in for drivers. I wouldn't mind doing that, in fact I downloaded the application forms and may well fill them in in the next week! Of course "Water Taxi Driver" might be more appropriate with the weather they are having. My son says the Brisbane River is at its highest as they are releasing 170,000 megalitres of water a day from the Wivenhoe Dam as it is now 140% full!! With rains forecast well into March it sounds a bit depressing really! But its not going to stop us!!

Good luck with the meds etc, you will soon be out there don't worry!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Les, thanks for the good wishes. When were out in Oz at the end of 2009/beginning 2010 we used the buses into Brisbane a lot, and they all had the adverts in for drivers. I wouldn't mind doing that, in fact I downloaded the application forms and may well fill them in in the next week! Of course "Water Taxi Driver" might be more appropriate with the weather they are having. My son says the Brisbane River is at its highest as they are releasing 170,000 megalitres of water a day from the Wivenhoe Dam as it is now 140% full!! With rains forecast well into March it sounds a bit depressing really! But its not going to stop us!!

Good luck with the meds etc, you will soon be out there don't worry!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

We went out to the Wvenhoe Dam (bit of local interest for us:wink:) 2 years back when it was looking like a puddle in a dried up valley. I am not sure if they said the water had ever got high enough to overflow at that time.

Our son lives close to the Logan river next the Alexander Clark Park were he sometimes fishes and he said that is up about 3-4 metres higher than normal. :fish2:

Have you packed your wellies? :wink:

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Matt

We went out to the Wvenhoe Dam (bit of local interest for us:wink:) 2 years back when it was looking like a puddle in a dried up valley. I am not sure if they said the water had ever got high enough to overflow at that time.

Our son lives close to the Logan river next the Alexander Clark Park were he sometimes fishes and he said that is up about 3-4 metres higher than normal. :fish2:

I have just been looking on Google Earth at Wacol where our furniture is in store, its only about half a mile from the Brisbane River!!! :shocked: So now to check the insurance, would be terrible to send our stuff all the way there for it to get ruined in a flood. It seems that places as close to Brisbane as Toowoomba has had flash floods, so its getting close.

We camped at Nerum Creek Bush Retreat a couple of years ago, which is past The Somerset Dam, the Somerset Dam being further up river to The Wivenhoe Dam, so you can imagine that whole area must be suffering! The Wivenhoe is the overflow catchment to the Somerset Dam.

I threw my wellies in the skip on Saturday :arghh:

Cheers

Matt

I have just been looking on Google Earth at Wacol where our furniture is in store, its only about half a mile from the Brisbane River!!! :shocked: So now to check the insurance, would be terrible to send our stuff all the way there for it to get ruined in a flood. It seems that places as close to Brisbane as Toowoomba has had flash floods, so its getting close.

Cheers

Matt

Good luck Matt, we do hope that your belongings have not been flooded and arrive safely. Enjoyed our drink together in Shilton. It was nice to put a face to name.

Julie and Ian

Hi Matt

:huh: My daughter is saying warnings are out in Brisbane and Northern NSW.......she is in between the two :wideeyed: and we complain about our weather.....however :cool: is infinatly better I feel :jiggy:

Phoebe

We camped at Nerum Creek Bush Retreat a couple of years ago, which is past The Somerset Dam, the Somerset Dam being further up river to The Wivenhoe Dam, so you can imagine that whole area must be suffering! The Wivenhoe is the overflow catchment to the Somerset Dam.

Cheers

Matt

I hope its all ok for you :frown: better hang on to my wellies then :goofy:

Phoebe

Guest FelicityW

My 87 year old father has been in Australia on a bridging visa for the past two years, having applied for a permanent Aged Parent visa. He has been paying UK tax on his income - all of which derives from the UK - because he was told that he is not considered a Resident for tax purposes until his permanent visa is issued, after which he can apply for a tax file number and start paying Australian tax. However he has just received a P85 form from the UK tax office which is an application to cease paying UK tax even though he has written to them describing the new ligislation which came into effect on 1 July 2006 which states that holders of temporary visas only pay Oz tax on income sourced in Australia. Is he doing the right thing by paying UK tax or should he be paying Oz tax instead?

Hello Felicity.

The P85 isn't an application to cease paying UK tax. It is a form that advises HM Revenue that the taxpayer is departing (or has departed) the UK - which isn't the same thing.

Note also that your father is an Australian tax resident - and is eligible for a Tax File Number - but (in broad terms) only Australian source income is properly taxable in Australia, as he holds a temporary residency visa.

Best regards.

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com
I hope its all ok for you :frown: better hang on to my wellies then :goofy:

Phoebe

.................................I tried to multi quote on Matt's message - but no success........

I spoke with my SIL last night and he seems VERY concerned about Brisbane. At the moment it doesn't appear as though the flooding is heading for Surfers Paradise but he was telling me about the 1974 flood there and in Brisbane. (he wasn't there of course!) it sounds very scary. His brother has a restaurant in surfers just a little way from the beach, they are already sandbagging so hopefully it will not come to that..............

my daughter is in Carrara - near Emerald Lakes and very high up so they should be ok - I suggested buying water and other staples for the babe and them selves as although they probably wouldn't be flooded out they could be marooned.

I was up in Toowoomba in the spring - a lovely little town - high up too and look what happened there..................

I am enjoying my snow right now!

By the way Phoebe - we may have bumped into you at Robina!!!! - Catherine's programme is just across the road from there - by the library.......shall we have a cappacino when we get there? - maybe Sirmatt and LAdy Matt too! we hope to be there in april (just for a visit)

I have to confirm my Migration Review board plans and the ministerial process that Fiz wrote about - will write more

a bientot

audie

.................................I tried to multi quote on Matt's message - but no success........

I spoke with my SIL last night and he seems VERY concerned about Brisbane. At the moment it doesn't appear as though the flooding is heading for Surfers Paradise but he was telling me about the 1974 flood there and in Brisbane. (he wasn't there of course!) it sounds very scary. His brother has a restaurant in surfers just a little way from the beach, they are already sandbagging so hopefully it will not come to that..............

my daughter is in Carrara - near Emerald Lakes and very high up so they should be ok - I suggested buying water and other staples for the babe and them selves as although they probably wouldn't be flooded out they could be marooned.

I was up in Toowoomba in the spring - a lovely little town - high up too and look what happened there..................

By the way Phoebe - we may have bumped into you at Robina!!!! - Catherine's programme is just across the road from there - by the library.......shall we have a cappacino when we get there? - maybe Sirmatt and LAdy Matt too! we hope to be there in april (just for a visit)

I have to confirm my Migration Review board plans and the ministerial process that Fiz wrote about - will write more

a bientot

audie

Hi Audie-I'm pleased to hear that you got the email re the submission to the minister and really really hope that it does some good to your case.

Kind regards

Fiz

Guest sirmatt101

a bientot

audie

Hi Audie, yes would love to meet up for a "flat white" somewhere in April when you get there.

My FIL who lives in Oakey (the next town from Toowomba heading inland) has been evacuated from his home, we are not quite sure where to as we cannot contact him. The son & daughter live not far from Ipswich, but hopefully not too close, the daughter is on high ground so ok, not so sure about the son though. Its a real disaster there and we are just wondering on the pros & cons of going just at the moment. The big problem is that we have almost cut all our ties here now!

All the best

Matt

Hi Audie, yes would love to meet up for a "flat white" somewhere in April when you get there.

My FIL who lives in Oakey (the next town from Toowomba heading inland) has been evacuated from his home, we are not quite sure where to as we cannot contact him. The son & daughter live not far from Ipswich, but hopefully not too close, the daughter is on high ground so ok, not so sure about the son though. Its a real disaster there and we are just wondering on the pros & cons of going just at the moment. The big problem is that we have almost cut all our ties here now!

All the best

Matt

Its a very worrying time for our families and us here....it's difficult to know what to do.

Our daughter is in Varsity Lakes....ok so far but warnings are not ggod, she has 2 little ones age 6 and 4 and is 6 months pregnant.

If you have never prayed before.....now is the time to start. Our thoughts are with them all.................

Phoebe

Yes, Crows Nest is just down the road a couple of km.

A bit difficult to say yet when we will make the move, but hopefully in 2012. According to Steve's tracker we should be going through the final hoops about a year from now, or a bit less. Then it's a matter of finger-crossing for the British housing market and the exchange rate.

Good luck, Mike

Hi Mike For what its worth I did an average time from steve's tracker when we started on this road in May and the average appeared about 502 days so we are hoping for a CO about august. Cannot remember if you are above or below us on the tracker. listed on their as pemajoka. Nice to find all the old crowd again and will be posting on here from now on.:biggrin:

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Mike For what its worth I did an average time from steve's tracker when we started on this road in May and the average appeared about 502 days so we are hoping for a CO about august. Cannot remember if you are above or below us on the tracker. listed on their as pemajoka. Nice to find all the old crowd again and will be posting on here from now on.:biggrin:

Hi, its good to see you have found your way to this forum at last, quite a few on here from you know where, its much nicer!

Cheers

Matt

:huh: My daughter is saying warnings are out in Brisbane and Northern NSW.......she is in between the two :wideeyed: and we complain about our weather.....however :cool: is infinatly better I feel :jiggy:

Phoebe

My brother lives in Ormiston about 40 k south east of brisbane. My sister-in-law works in Brisbane CBD. We spoke to them this morning and they are OK at the moment but sil was sent home from work as CBD was evacuated. We are keeping our fingers crossed for them.

Hey, yes! In fact, we are only four places behind you (and 11 days by date of acknowledgement), so we could end up on the same plane!

In fact, however, we have some "issues" – too boring to go into in detail – with the freeholder of our flat in London, so we may be delayed a bit in selling up and making the permanent move. That's one reason we are going the two-stage (173–>143) route. But we fully intend to be out here next (Aussie) summer, whether or not we have the visa.

Keep an eye on that tracker!

Best, Mike

Hi, its good to see you have found your way to this forum at last, quite a few on here from you know where, its much nicer!

Cheers

Matt

G'Day

I would second that welcome to all migrants (in both senses!). As you'll see, we've been on here a bit longer than on BE, and it's a source of plenty of good info. Sadly, one such specific source, Gill, doesn't seem to post here any more, though I have seen her name on PiA (that is the South Australian capital's local version of this).

All the best, especially to those caught up in the Queensland / Northern NSW floods.

Mike

All the best

Matt

When speaking to our son and d-i-l yesterday (who live in Loganholme and work in Underwood area) they said it is very surreal for them only having the rain and few areas that have higher than average water levels when an hours drive away people are being flooded out. Lucky for them the Logan river is fed from a different source.

Fingers crossed that you can still make your journey safely.

Hi Matt

This is a really tough one for you; the news from Queensland paints a picture of unmitigated catastrophe. We can all see the pictures. I'd be inclined to delay or head temporarily for somewhere slightly drier (the Arabian desert perhaps) if you can - not easy I know (and it absolutely chucked it down last night in Melbourne, so even Vic is getting a soaking).

And who knows when the Qld deluges will stop log enough to allow mopping up to start?

Pretty awful.

Steve

Hi Matt

This is a really tough one for you; the news from Queensland paints a picture of unmitigated catastrophe. We can all see the pictures. I'd be inclined to delay or head temporarily for somewhere slightly drier (the Arabian desert perhaps) if you can - not easy I know (and it absolutely chucked it down last night in Melbourne, so even Vic is getting a soaking).

And who knows when the Qld deluges will stop log enough to allow mopping up to start?

Pretty awful.

Steve

Yes, must be awful. After waiting so long and then having to delay. Our son was over there as well this time last year, in Wynum, which is quite close to the river. So glad he isn't there now!

Imagine the poor people who have just emigrated and moved into their dream home, only to have it all ruined or even worse.