Guest guest36187

Well, a bit of both really. We had planned to go on a visit in June, but might delay a bit now till we get our visa. It would save going offshore. Also give us a bit more time to sell the house.

It did concentrate our minds a bit and we sat down and wrote a long list of things still to do! It feels a bit scary now it might actually be happening!

Hi everyone just sent a massive amount of money over to my son to pay our visa, went through HiFx, I was having cold sweats and everything trying to do it online as you could see the exchange rate going up and down all the time I was doing the application, but never mind its done now I got a rate of 1.57, I know I could of gotten a better rate with uk forex but it was only slightly higher and I had never dealt with them before and was a bit weary, I used HiFx when we paid the first visa charge and was happy with them.

Should take 1-4 days to clear in his account then he will pay the money to Perth.

Oh my its finally happening scary:eek: !!!

Wilma

Hi everyone just sent a massive amount of money over to my son to pay our visa, went through HiFx, I was having cold sweats and everything trying to do it online as you could see the exchange rate going up and down all the time I was doing the application, but never mind its done now I got a rate of 1.57, I know I could of gotten a better rate with uk forex but it was only slightly higher and I had never dealt with them before and was a bit weary, I used HiFx when we paid the first visa charge and was happy with them.

Should take 1-4 days to clear in his account then he will pay the money to Perth.

Oh my its finally happening scary:eek: !!!

Wilma

Hi Wilma, interesting post, I too have found UKForex (who I have used) offer a higher rate than HiFx or Moneycorp on the day, but the rate is moving around so much (even in a day) at the moment comparing like with like is not easy. I think you got a fair rate if you traded Wednesday.

Guest sirmatt101

Thats it, we arrived in Brisbane at 07.15 this morning!! Had a busy day so far, bought a car by 13.30, I had several lined up and they came out to us, been to the bank with Tax Numbers and had to replace all Oz pay as you go sim cards as they had been disconnected as they had not been used for a year!! Still a couple of jobs to complete tomorrow, then the weekend off!

Yes I feel good already,

Matt

Thats it, we arrived in Brisbane at 07.15 this morning!! Had a busy day so far, bought a car by 13.30, I had several lined up and they came out to us, been to the bank with Tax Numbers and had to replace all Oz pay as you go sim cards as they had been disconnected as they had not been used for a year!! Still a couple of jobs to complete tomorrow, then the weekend off!

Yes I feel good already,

Matt

All sounding good Matt :biggrin:

Enjoy the weekend and keep us in touch with how you are going...:jiggy:

Phoebe

thats it, we arrived in brisbane at 07.15 this morning!! Had a busy day so far, bought a car by 13.30, i had several lined up and they came out to us, been to the bank with tax numbers and had to replace all oz pay as you go sim cards as they had been disconnected as they had not been used for a year!! Still a couple of jobs to complete tomorrow, then the weekend off!

Yes i feel good already,

matt

Welcome back!

Yes I feel good already,

Matt

Wow! Don't think I could cope with all that on the first day! Well done.

Yes I feel good already,

Matt

Great to hear your step by step, as we like to know whats ahead of us - keep it up Matt although don't know if we will be so organised. They brought the car to you which sites did you use to look at them?

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com

glad to hear that all went so well with your flights, car purchase etc. enjoy your weekend with your family - all the best to you all

audie

Yes I feel good already,

Matt

Hi Matt

Great to hear all going well even though sounds hectic. Don't forget, -barbie at the weekend,- beer in hand, -steak and vegemite on the barbie, -relax and ENJOY.

pete

Ernest asks.

My wife and I have made application to immigrate to Australia in terms of Parent Visas. The process is well on its way

We will hopefully be entering on a Sub Class 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa.

In terms of the provisions of the Act regulations, we have to , within two years make the second payment for the Subclass 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa.

I am presently 63 years of age and my wife 60.

I read from all the correspondence that a person has to be resident in Australia for 10 years before being recognised as an aged parent in terms of the Social Security Act 1991.

My question: Is the 10 years from being:

- granted the 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa); or

- From the 143 (Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa).

I would appreciate your help in this regard.

Regards

Ernest

Guest sirmatt101
Great to hear your step by step, as we like to know whats ahead of us - keep it up Matt although don't know if we will be so organised. They brought the car to you which sites did you use to look at them?

Hi

Try these Used Cars & New Cars for Sale | Car Sales & Car Reviews - Drive.com.au

Buy New & Used Cars | Find Cars for Sale at carsguide.com.au Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101

Just a note for all those heading down under. When we activated our visas in Feb 2010 we got our Qld drivers licences straight away and boy has that been useful now we have arrived for good. Its better than a passport for ID here, seems to open all doors!

Cheers

Matt

Just a note for all those heading down under. When we activated our visas in Feb 2010 we got our Qld drivers licences straight away and boy has that been useful now we have arrived for good. Its better than a passport for ID here, seems to open all doors!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

Agree that a drivers licence is really good for ID purposes but surprised you managed to get one before you finally became a resident. Not sure if we could have done this in NSW but worth a try for others.

Charlie:wink:

Ernest asks.

My wife and I have made application to immigrate to Australia in terms of Parent Visas. The process is well on its way

We will hopefully be entering on a Sub Class 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa.

In terms of the provisions of the Act regulations, we have to , within two years make the second payment for the Subclass 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa.

I read from all the correspondence that a person has to be resident in Australia for 10 years before being recognised as an aged parent in terms of the Social Security Act 1991.

Regards

Ernest

Hi

Cannot help with the answer because it is something I would like to know myself.

Can anyone help please?

Charlie

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Matt

Agree that a drivers licence is really good for ID purposes but surprised you managed to get one before you finally became a resident. Not sure if we could have done this in NSW but worth a try for others.

We got our drivers licences when we validated our visas, so were residents!!

Cheers

Matt

We got our drivers licences when we validated our visas, so were residents!!

Cheers

Matt

Hi matt

Don't want to be pedantic but you only become an (official) resident when you have declared as such to the UK & Australian Tax authorities. Validating a visa does not make you a resident.

However, impressed that you got your drivers licence.

Hi matt

Don't want to be pedantic but you only become an (official) resident when you have declared as such to the UK & Australian Tax authorities. Validating a visa does not make you a resident.

However, impressed that you got your drivers licence.

Hello Charlie

I think you are confusing tax residence and the permanent resident visa. The PR visa is enough to get a driving license, and to do many other things, as it was for me. You can still actually be non-resident for tax purposes, but of course you'll have a job getting an RRV when your visa expires.

Cheers

Steve

I felt that it was time to join PIO as all the names I recognise are poping up on this Forum.

I have posted on the BE forum in the past but I confess to being very quiet over the last couple of months.

Well with a case officer being granted today, a big surprise:jiggy: and 28 days to organise medicals and Police Certificates from Uk and South Africa the month should prove to be very hectic. I have just been caught on the South African Police checks as we left in November 2001, this should be fun.

We are looking to go to the Central Coast as daughter lives in Avoca Beach, our fancy is Jilliby or the Yaramalong Valley as we prefer the country to the Beach, still we shall see what happens!!:smile: I am sure that the plans will chang a few times over the next few months!!

K and M

CPV 143 Acknowledged 22 December 2009

CO 28 January 2011

Ernest asks.

Regards

Ernest

Not really sure about this.

I had a look at the Centrelink page:

Age Pension - residence requirements

but it's not clear either. I know that sometimes for visa purposes and the requirement of being settled for a sponsor they include temporary residence, so maybe the 2 years on temporary visa can be included if the residence is continuous.

However, I do know that the Australian Age Pension is means tested, so it may not be of use to some people.

Hello Charlie

I think you are confusing tax residence and the permanent resident visa. The PR visa is enough to get a driving license, and to do many other things, as it was for me. You can still actually be non-resident for tax purposes, but of course you'll have a job getting an RRV when your visa expires.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks. Looks like I made things difficult for myself - wish I had known this earlier!

Charlie

I felt that it was time to join PIO as all the names I recognise are poping up on this Forum.

I have posted on the BE forum in the past but I confess to being very quiet over the last couple of months.

Well with a case officer being granted today, a big surprise:jiggy: and 28 days to organise medicals and Police Certificates from Uk and South Africa the month should prove to be very hectic. I have just been caught on the South African Police checks as we left in November 2001, this should be fun.

We are looking to go to the Central Coast as daughter lives in Avoca Beach, our fancy is Jilliby or the Yaramalong Valley as we prefer the country to the Beach, still we shall see what happens!!:smile: I am sure that the plans will chang a few times over the next few months!!

K and M

CPV 143 Acknowledged 22 December 2009

CO 28 January 2011

Hi and welcome to the forum that allows free speach. Many of your old friends are here but some with a slightly or very different name. Ooops!!

Very much more relaxed here.

pete