Guest guest36187

OH convincing tactics used on recent trip:

Found a golf driving range (he's just taken up golf) within easy reach and encouraged him to visit and practice.

Swapped houses so we stayed in a comfortable family home and had our daughter visiting and staying over (just as though we were living there....)

Found a suburb of Sydney he really liked. Sadly it was Avalon so unless we win the lottery that won't be a plausible destination. Not after meeting the 'sell your own grannie' visa costs!

Kath:wacko:

OH convincing tactics used on recent trip:

Found a golf driving range (he's just taken up golf) within easy reach and encouraged him to visit and practice.

Swapped houses so we stayed in a comfortable family home and had our daughter visiting and staying over (just as though we were living there....)

Found a suburb of Sydney he really liked. Sadly it was Avalon so unless we win the lottery that won't be a plausible destination. Not after meeting the 'sell your own grannie' visa costs!

Kath:wacko:

I did something similar found him a 'diving buddy' in Oz and he went diving with him a couple of times and in his words 'it's nothing like diving in UK water is crystal clear' I even went out fishing with him a couple of times in a tinnie and I actually enjoyed it :rolleyes:

One thing I did find is a couple of years ago I was going on about it continually and all I got back was 'the money' 'happy where I am' etc so I backed off, stopped talking about it altogether but mentioned now and again how dirty this country looked compared to Oz, how UK feels like it's going down the pan etcand he started to agree. He's not there yet but I suggested we hire a Motor Home next time to tour around see if there is anywhere we might like to live if we ever decided to go and he's up for it so it's a start :biggrin:

I think the secret is girls to make them think it's 'their' idea usually works for me :wink:

Phoebe

I love your post Phoebe

ebe - it says everything about why I went looking for a site like this and why I log on so often - it's so nice to be able to chew the fat a bit with people in the same position who really understand the various forces at work in our lives AND have a laugh about it. I felt really lonely sometimes before because not even my oldest friends can't really understand. Thanks everyone for the communal pressure valve!

Kath

I love your post Phoebe

ebe - it says everything about why I went looking for a site like this and why I log on so often - it's so nice to be able to chew the fat a bit with people in the same position who really understand the various forces at work in our lives AND have a laugh about it. I felt really lonely sometimes before because not even my oldest friends can't really understand. Thanks everyone for the communal pressure valve!

Kath

Pop in and have a moan anytime :biggrin:

I do :laugh:

.....oh and it is a great source on information of course :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Just a thought - since it's already possible to get a one year tourist visa for £100 (or so I believe) does this new five year parents visa actually confer any benefits at all? Seems to me it just entitles you to have a series of one year visas????

You are quite correct for some people there may not be much benefit in obtaining the visa. However, for others e.g. parents from some countries have to provide a lot of information in their tourist visa applications, it could make things a lot easier for them not having to repeat the process each time. Although it will be interesting to see the wider policy, they may still find this harder to obtain for the full duration?

So glad all is well with you now (hubby and I are still in limbo for now :err:

I agree a visit is the only way to go with Centrelink.......I'll have to remember that for when my turn comes :wink:

Stay positive you WILL get there :cute:

Phoebe

Hi there! I'm new to this thread.

My husband is providing an assurance of support for his mother, we got nowhere on the phone, so I downloaded the application form from centerlinks website, completed it and took it along with all his ID/proof of income etc... To the local centerlink office it was a 40 min wait but at least it's got the ball rolling. Just waiting for them to come back to us now with an interview date. I hope it happens soon as my inlaws deadline is 10th December.... I think they may have to get another extension!

I did something similar found him a 'diving buddy' in Oz and he went diving with him a couple of times and in his words 'it's nothing like diving in UK water is crystal clear' I even went out fishing with him a couple of times in a tinnie and I actually enjoyed it :rolleyes:

One thing I did find is a couple of years ago I was going on about it continually and all I got back was 'the money' 'happy where I am' etc so I backed off, stopped talking about it altogether but mentioned now and again how dirty this country looked compared to Oz, how UK feels like it's going down the pan etcand he started to agree. He's not there yet but I suggested we hire a Motor Home next time to tour around see if there is anywhere we might like to live if we ever decided to go and he's up for it so it's a start :biggrin:

I think the secret is girls to make them think it's 'their' idea usually works for me :wink:

Phoebe

Ha Ha! I like your style Phoebe! :yes:Angie

Not even my oldest friends cant really understand? Oops, the perils of posting without rereading :biggrin:

Hi I can associate with that big time!! All my friends think its crazy what I am doing especially because I have no grandchildren, just my son over there and no pension so I'll be job hunting as soon as I get there - flight booked for 13th Jan. But my gut instinct tells me I am right, I can't get work here and am not ready for the scrap heap yet and hopefully will have a different and better life out there. So keep positive, best of luck, Fran.

I say go with your gut instinct. We have no grandchildren - not that likely either, but I still want to be a bigger part of my daughter's life than I am at the moment. Go for it, good luck with it - and you know what, work is the best place to meet new people! I envy you :-)

Kath

Hello Vanessa, i have sent you a private message regarding your extensions for your mum-in-law, i am coming up to the end of my first extension and will have to ask for a second as i am still awaiting my sons tax to be done at the tax office to get my Assurance of support done, they have taken 3wks so far it's not straight forward as my son works for himself and it's a new business with heaps of paperwork so not sure how much longer they will be. I am sick with worry my case officer will not grant any more extensions and not really sure how many they will give, to have come so far and lose my visa is making me ill with worry i have everything else done and in place just need this tax info for my AOS. Hope you get sorted before your deadline on 10th dec. Thinking of you all as i know it's such a worry. Ann

Hello Ann.

Remember that you can use a newly formed Aus limited company to provide an AoS. The amount of the AOS Bond is higher ($20k for a s/c 143 application), and you have the cost of company formation plus an annual return fee to lodge with the company regulator - but it is a fallback option if your son encounters problems meeting the personal income test.

Bizarrely, a company doesn't have to meet an income test to be able to provide an AoS.

Best regards.

• Like 1

Hello Ann.

Remember that you can use a newly formed Aus limited company to provide an AoS. The amount of the AOS Bond is higher ($20k for a s/c 143 application), and you have the cost of company formation plus an annual return fee to lodge with the company regulator - but it is a fallback option if your son encounters problems meeting the personal income test.

Bizarrely, a company doesn't have to meet an income test to be able to provide an AoS.

Best regards.

Thank you Allan for your kind reply and information, it's not the personal income test thats the problem it just took so long for his accountant to finalise all his paperwork and it only went to the ATO 5TH Nov and they are still processing his paperwork, my case officer gave me an extension until 1st dec but i will not meet this deadline so i will have to ask for another extension, i hope the ATO finalise it soon as i worry how many extensions immigration will allow. I am so very stressed at the moment, everything else is in place it's just this thats holding me up.

Hi We applied for a 173 Visa in Oct this year,we intend to visit Australia for a holiday in a few weeks time .My question is, do I have to inform the immigration Dept and will we gain instant approval to travel at time of receipt,if not, does anyone know the wait period. Have any of you guys experienced this.Thanks in advance.Kev

Edited by Holidaykev
spelling!!

Hi We applied for a 173 Visa in Oct this year,we intend to visit Australia for a holiday in a few weeks time .My question is, do I have to inform the immigration Dept and will we gain instant approval to travel at time of receipt,if not, does anyone know the wait period. Have any of you guys experienced this.Thanks in advance.Kev

There is usually no problem with parents coming to Australia for a holiday once you have applied for the parent visa. I am assuming you are in the UK and can therefore apply on line for an e-visitor visa. When we applied for this it only took a couple of days to come through. They normally ask what your travel date is so there should be no problem with timing. It is usually advisable to inform DIAC if you are travelling to Australia as this is an offshore visa and you need to be outside Australia when the visa is granted, although if you have only recently applied you are probably not likely to get a case officer so soon, but I would inform them just to be on the safe side.

Hi all, just got a phone call from my agent my visa has been granted - 173. I got my Case Officer on 21st November. Some smashing way to start the week. Flight booked for Brisbane on 13th January. Thanks to you all for the support along the way and wish all of you still waiting the best of luck. Will keep in touch and let ye know how things are going for me after the big move.

Fran.

Hi all, just got a phone call from my agent my visa has been granted - 173. I got my Case Officer on 21st November. Some smashing way to start the week. Flight booked for Brisbane on 13th January. Thanks to you all for the support along the way and wish all of you still waiting the best of luck. Will keep in touch and let ye know how things are going for me after the big move.

Fran.

Congratulations Fran! So pleased for you, I bet you are so relieved to have your visa at last.

Happy Christmas, Val x

Fran.

Congratulations Fran! Won't be long before you are joining us other PIO in the 'Sunshine State' We have been here six weeks and although there's lots to sort out initially it doesn't take long to settle into the Oz way of life! Good luck with everything! Angie

Fran.

CONGRATULATIONS Fran so happy for you :biggrin:

Enjoy living the dream :cool:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

Fran.

Wonderful news Fran! Wonderful feeling isn't it? At last the long wait is almost over! What a fantastic Xmas present too! All the best for the future here in Oz. Where abouts in Brisbane are you heading to, there's a few of us in the Redlands area, are you going to be anywhere near?

Congratulations, Val x

Wonderful news Fran! Wonderful feeling isn't it? At last the long wait is almost over! What a fantastic Xmas present too! All the best for the future here in Oz. Where abouts in Brisbane are you heading to, there's a few of us in the Redlands area, are you going to be anywhere near?

Congratulations, Val x

Thanks for that Val, still can't believe it is actually happening. I am heading for Hemmant, its in the South East I think. I must look up Redlands to see if how far away it is. Fran.

Hi just for anyone who is at the start of this journey ,please see note below from DIC that we received this morning.They also confirmed we have no form filling to do regarding our visit to Brisbane on Sunday.Thanks for the reply's.

Kev

"Thank you for your email. Please do not reply to the sender of this email as you will receive no response.

It takes approximately 18 months from the date of lodgement of your contributory Parent subclass 173 to be allocated to a Case Officer.

Once a Case Officer has been allocated, they will contact the Authorised Recipient in writing requesting further information. We are currently processing visa applications for subclass 173 that were submitted on 06 October 2011.

The electronic queue date calculator does not apply to Parent subclass 173. Your parent visa application has not been allocated yet."

Edited by twinsmom65
Removal of Email address

good afternoon,

Out of interest.......how much money on average per week would a couple (no kids) need to live on; renting a dwelling,or a mortgage,running a car,household bills etc. Im hoping this will be quite an eye opener...thanks in advance.

Tab x

What do you spend your money on?