Guest guest36187

It also says stepchildren are only counted if they are the child of a parent's current partner.

oh and yes... thanks for adding Linday

it says:

Note: Step-children are only counted if they are:

• a child of the applicant’s current partner; or

• under 18 years of age and a child of a former partner of the applicant, or a former partner of the

applicant’s current partner, and the applicant or the applicant’s partner has a legal responsibility to

look after the child. (page 24)

Good news and bad news from the Neurologist.....good news they have found out what is causing the swallowing problem 4 cervical Osteophytes one of which is 'beaking' causing the problem. He also found the nerve that runs down the right hand side is completely squashed all the way through....first step is a day procedure in few weeks to inject the bone and nerve in the neck to temporarily ease the neck, shoulder and arm pain then a major operation to remove the Osteophytes and repair the nerve...bad news is his waiting list is 12 months!!!!

So now I have to decide if I'm going to continue putting my life on hold for another year. I havnt seen my family for 17 months now don't think I can bear waiting another year so I need to get my head around this and make some decisions.

Phoebe x

Good news and bad news from the Neurologist.....good news they have found out what is causing the swallowing problem 4 cervical Osteophytes one of which is 'beaking' causing the problem. He also found the nerve that runs down the right hand side is completely squashed all the way through....first step is a day procedure in few weeks to inject the bone and nerve in the neck to temporarily ease the neck, shoulder and arm pain then a major operation to remove the Osteophytes and repair the nerve...bad news is his waiting list is 12 months!!!!

So now I have to decide if I'm going to continue putting my life on hold for another year. I havnt seen my family for 17 months now don't think I can bear waiting another year so I need to get my head around this and make some decisions.

Phoebe x

As you say, both good and bad news..........

Obviously we know nothing of anyones finances, but given your scenario and knowing how much you might be spending on getting a visa, I would find the money and get the operation done ASAP. Then you are fit and well to go see your grandchildren and family, and enjoy it!

All to easy to say this, I know, but today is the day that counts!

Phoebe, good luck in your decision making!!

Hope that you feel somewhat 'better' now that you know the cause of the problems?

Anyway my best wishes and thoughts are with you and many thanks for letting us know! We feel like family on here..............

Cheers Pam x

Thanks Linday and Ginnyfrank, I have just sent an email to immi to clarify the case. I especially worry because my mom and dad still live in the same house, so dont know how they would consider their relationship in this case. There is no such thing called "family book" in my country, there is only a book of "household registration", so I dont know how the immigration will enquire to classify how many children they have.

May I also ask, for the 2nd instalment ($44k), how far we would know in advance if the visa should be granted, until the deadline to make the payment, because to have enough money for the 2nd instalment it would require my mom to sell one of the house, which we dont want to do unless knowing that the visa will be granted, and she has passed all the requirements.

Edited by Zoe Nguyen

Also, may I ask what benefit she can have after granting the permanent resident, I read the booklet that she can have Medicare, and after 10 years Centrelink persioner payment, is that right?

Can she still have other benefit such as "discount travel tickets, utility bills, for elderly, free English Classes etc" within the 10 years waiting?

Good news and bad news from the Neurologist.....good news they have found out what is causing the swallowing problem 4 cervical Osteophytes one of which is 'beaking' causing the problem. He also found the nerve that runs down the right hand side is completely squashed all the way through....first step is a day procedure in few weeks to inject the bone and nerve in the neck to temporarily ease the neck, shoulder and arm pain then a major operation to remove the Osteophytes and repair the nerve...bad news is his waiting list is 12 months!!!

Phoebe x

Phoebe I am glad that the problem has been discovered, but 12mths waiting is awfule

Your family must be missing you as well. Wishing you well and let us know what you decision is

Moira

Pheobe, it seems so ridiculous that there is such a long waiting time for something that's so serious and effecting your eating etc, and the pain you are in also, my heart goes out to you. Yes, its good news you now know what the cause is, I can't image the worry you've had, but to have this hanging over you for the next 12 months (at least) is just awful.

I don't envy your next decision, but I wish you well.

Val x

Also, may I ask what benefit she can have after granting the permanent resident, I read the booklet that she can have Medicare, and after 10 years Centrelink persioner payment, is that right?

Can she still have other benefit such as "discount travel tickets, utility bills, for elderly, free English Classes etc" within the 10 years waiting?

The visa is taking around 15-18 months at the moment so she would need to plan around that. Unfortunately it is not possible to know whether the visa will be granted until she gets a case officer. The only reason I know of that has caused someone to be refused is not passing the medical, so she could try doing the medical in advance, but timing is crucial as medicals are only valid for 1 year.

Has she considered doing the visa in 2 stages, by going for the 173 first, which is cheaper if she can afford it without selling her house.

If she is over 60 and working less than 20 hours a week she will more than likely be entitled to a Seniors card which in most states gives free travel and lots of other discounts such as rates. There is also the Commonwealth Seniors card which she can get over 65 and after being here 2 years, which gives discounts on medicines etc, Not sure about the English classes.

Just looking for as much info as possible for my parents to be able to work on 804 visa,We have the forms to apply to work but I was wondering the likelihood of them being allowed

Thanks Mark

If you check out the information about this visa on the DIAC website it says parents are allowed to work on this visa once it has been granted, so I don't see why they shouldn't. You say you are applying for them to work so do you mean that they are currently on a bridging visa, the original conditions of which do not allow them to work? If so you might be better posting on the 804 thread to see if anyone has done this

.http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/131621-aged-parent-residence-visa-subclass-804-a-2.html

Whats the position in Queensland?

Phoebe

I am not sure you can get free travel anywhere.

My wife was refused a seniors card as she is under 65. You also have to be registered with medilink to get a commonwealth discount card....and that means qualifying for benefits of some kind.....I don't think this is unique to Queensland.

I am not sure you can get free travel anywhere.

My wife was refused a seniors card as she is under 65. You also have to be registered with medilink to get a commonwealth discount card....and that means qualifying for benefits of some kind.....I don't think this is unique to Queensland.

We must be luckier than others. We are in WA and you get the WA Seniors card if you are over 60 and working less than 20 hours a week which gives us free travel on all Transperth services, bus, train, ferries etc between 9 and 3.

With regard to the Commonwealth Seniors Health card, I can't see on the website where it says you need to be registered with Medilink to be eligible?

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/commonwealth-seniors-health-card/eligibility

Edited by Linday

With regard to the Commonwealth Seniors Health card, I can't see on the website where it says you need to be registered with Medilink to be eligible?

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/commonwealth-seniors-health-card/eligibility

Yes you are right on that one.....we don't qualify because we are too young and our income is too high

Edited by Flathead

Phoebe x

Hi Phoebe, Glad you have had your diagnosis at long last but soo sorry that you've been told the wait is so long for the op. I hope you will find a way to get it done sooner. I'm sure somebody will be able to point you in the appropriate direction.

In the meantime, try to keep your spirits up and let us know how you're progressing - we're all rooting for you!

Kindest regards, Val x

This made me smile. I am sure those of you who have spent more time in Australia know why!!!!

Best wishes

Charlie

Don't be naughty! You know I meant that we are all crossing our fingers and hoping for the best outcome for Phoebe!

Hi Gill

Thanks for your reply.Will write to Post Office with new address now we know they send statements over here.

We already have the two accounts with NAB with a substantial balance in but they probably will not give us a credit card as we have only been here a few weeks so will ask again later, we have a debit card so it is not a problem.

your help was much appreciated.

Regards Carol.

Hi Carol

I went into our local NAB this week and they are offering the deal we got last year. If you have a Classic Banking Account + an ISaver account you can qualify for a Credit Card with a $50 bonus! Go for it, we did and got approved.

Regards Gill

Hi Carol

I went into our local NAB this week and they are offering the deal we got last year. If you have a Classic Banking Account + an ISaver account you can qualify for a Credit Card with a $50 bonus! Go for it, we did and got approved.

Regards Gill

Hi Gill

Many thanks for info. We have those accounts so will give it a try

Regards

Carol

Hi Everyone

its 4.30am UK time and I'm still awake.

I just had to share this with you all.

Its my big 60 on 28th of this month so I went out to a club with friends tonight (Friday) as its also one of their birthdays. They sat me on a chair in the middle of the room presented me with a beautiful cake and said they had a surprise for me.....knowing my friends I'm naturally thinking uh oh.....I got a kiss on the cheek from behind me , turned around AND THERE WAS MY DAUGHTER FROM OZ.....I couldn't believe it she has come over to surprise me for my birthday. I'm still in a state of shock it was a complete surprise even hubby didn't know. Sadly she couldnt bring the 3 grand kids BUT she has brought little Harry who is now 21 months old. With all the crap I've had going on I havnt seen him since he was 10 weeks old. Grandma has him tonight but I will meet him again tomorrow (well today) and I'm soooo excited I can't sleep.

Lots of hasty bedroom rearranging to do but what the h*ll. they are here until 4th February. Can't keep the smile off my face :-)

Phoebe