Guest guest36187

There must be something special in Vegemite, and Sir Matt is right,

Kevin Rudd the Australian Foreign Minister has been caught smuggling a jar of the stuff from Mexico City to New York and has had to use his influence with the Mexican Authorities to get through the security at the airport, it was flagged as " A potentially Dangerous Liquid"

Never had this problem with Marmite!!!

K&M

I didn't know it was the 1st of April!

Charlie

:biggrin:

I know it is spring in Australia but this is a true story!!!!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/airport-security-not-a-happy-little-vegemite/story-e6frfq80-1226140108790

Sir Matt will be pleased!!

K&M

Oh to have friends in high places :wideeyed:. Wish we could all 'tweet for intervention' with problems we have here :yes:

Phoebe

Oh to have friends in high places :wideeyed:. Wish we could all 'tweet for intervention' with problems we have here :yes:

Phoebe

That would be nice - need our completion to happen as shippers are booked for Wednesday - we could be semi-homeless and living out of a suitcase for a while but so nearly there now. Will confirm flights when the money is in our account but till then ..........:goofy:

That would be nice - need our completion to happen as shippers are booked for Wednesday - we could be semi-homeless and living out of a suitcase for a while but so nearly there now. Will confirm flights when the money is in our account but till then ..........:goofy:

Got everything crossed for you guys :wink:

Phoebe

Well buying a car was a lot easier than finding somewhere to live! Thoroughly refreshed after a lovely flight from Dubai, courtesy of frequent flyer miles, I headed straight for a

I dealership I'd found online and had bought a car within an hour. However I hadn't had as much luck with somewhere to live until today....

I hadn't appreciated that this is the most scarce time for rental property on the northern beaches. I've looked at over 25 units, from Manly to Avalon and have sadly come to the conclusion that I either have to pay more or settle for less.

The longshot is that I've paid the deposit on a beautiful but pricy place and just have to hope that I get some work!!!

The weather has been glorious since arrived, apart from one day.....long may it last.

I found Our Mate in Coles too..heaven!

Well buying a car was a lot easier than finding somewhere to live! Thoroughly refreshed after a lovely flight from Dubai, courtesy of frequent flyer miles, I headed straight for a

I dealership I'd found online and had bought a car within an hour. However I hadn't had as much luck with somewhere to live until today....

I hadn't appreciated that this is the most scarce time for rental property on the northern beaches. I've looked at over 25 units, from Manly to Avalon and have sadly come to the conclusion that I either have to pay more or settle for less.

The longshot is that I've paid the deposit on a beautiful but pricy place and just have to hope that I get some work!!!

The weather has been glorious since arrived, apart from one day.....long may it last.

I found Our Mate in Coles too..heaven!

Hi, Fiz were you able to sort insurance third party and fully comp from the dealer and was this easy, expensive ?? also am interested to know if car dealers accept bids or do you have to pay whats on the screen.

cheers.

mike.

Hi, Fiz were you able to sort insurance third party and fully comp from the dealer and was this easy, expensive ?? also am interested to know if car dealers accept bids or do you have to pay whats on the screen.

cheers.

mike.

I bought a demo of a car that is about to be superceded....against my son and son in Law's advice. It was advertised at 15250 and I offered 13000 and got it....so yes, you can haggle! It included what they call rego which is tax and 3rd party. I got fully comp from my bank at 50$ a month. Aami and Toyota ins were similar but more and my bank didn't charge for paying monthly. Hope this helps.By my bank i mean Comm Ins.............via CBA

Hi, i noticed a post on here that someone had opend an account with HSBC in Australia, i am in the process of finding out if this will be viable for me, i was intending putting funds from my account here into the HSBC in Australia to pay the 2nd Vac of the visa. Just wondered if anyone has done this or if it's a good route to take financially. Thanks Ann

Hi, i noticed a post on here that someone had opend an account with HSBC in Australia, i am in the process of finding out if this will be viable for me, i was intending putting funds from my account here into the HSBC in Australia to pay the 2nd Vac of the visa. Just wondered if anyone has done this or if it's a good route to take financially. Thanks Ann

Hi Ann,

I have had a current account at ANZ for a few years now and opened a savings account via the London branch in August taking advantage of an offer for 6.5% interest. Its now up and running alongside my current account in Oz and my £50,000 visa money is there earning a lot more than it would have done here. My best advice is to have a look at who is offering what and try to speak to someone in the UK first as the girl in Oz said I couldnt have a bank account in Oz at all (when I have already got one).

Hope this helps, Val

Hi Ann. I asked this very same question a few weeks ago and Sandch gave the following helpful reply... Angie

"We also opened an account with HSBC many years ago in Perth because it was a global bank - but it's a bit misleading. The Australian HSBC has very different systems, and feels like a small organisation out here. There are very few branches in Australia (see http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/misc/locations). Our HSBC account is now inactive and we do all our banking with Westpac.

We also experienced a challenge paying the final visa fee, having moved it in dollars to HSBC Australia first. In the end, after first setting up the fax indemnity and then two faxes (the first got lost), they would only send a bank draft to our home address, not to DIAC directly. So it came to England and then we couriered it back to Perth.

So be aware, though if it is more convenient it's still an option; HSBC is a solid bank, we've been with them in the UK for decades. I would however avoid buying foreign currency via any high street bank."

Ann,

Maybe have a chat with one of the sponsors of this forum - Moneycorp -as to how they can assist with the payment of the main VAC. I believe they can raise a bank draft in due course, and give you a better rate of exchange than you would get if you were to arrange the same through your High Street bank.

Best regards.

Hi Ann,

I have had a current account at ANZ for a few years now and opened a savings account via the London branch in August taking advantage of an offer for 6.5% interest. Its now up and running alongside my current account in Oz and my £50,000 visa money is there earning a lot more than it would have done here. My best advice is to have a look at who is offering what and try to speak to someone in the UK first as the girl in Oz said I couldnt have a bank account in Oz at all (when I have already got one).

Hope this helps, Val

Hi Val, did you open the account on line or did you have to go to the Anz branch in London personally , i have read on hear you can open Bank accounts with Australian banks but can only withdraw cash or move it after the account has been validated personally over there? Good interest rate at 6.5%. Thanks for your helpful reply. Ann

Hi Val, did you open the account on line or did you have to go to the Anz branch in London personally , i have read on hear you can open Bank accounts with Australian banks but can only withdraw cash or move it after the account has been validated personally over there? Good interest rate at 6.5%. Thanks for your helpful reply. Ann

Hi Ann,

I just opened the new savings account on the phone as they already had my original account to link it to. However, they said that I would not be able to withdraw funds until I had been to the branch in person BUT I already did that when the first account was opened and they have copies of our passports etc. So they agreed that if we got a case officer and the visa before our next trip (at Xmas) then the visa payment could be made directly from that account to DIAC. You might benefit from taking Alan Colletts adivice and having a chat with Moneycorp from this site. I would have done if I had not already had the ANZ current account. Good luck with everything - Val

Just a few months ago I went on line and opened a NAB current and internet account, very easy to do.

I then also opened an account with UK Forex.

If I want to send funds to Oz I now go on line and easily transfer money from my Nationwide current account to UK Forex who then change it to Oz $ and transfer it into my Oz on line account.

I can not take any money out of the Oz accounts until I have been to one of their branches over there and prove my identity and pick up my cards etc.

Something I posted last May regarding me paying my VAC.

I received an e mail from a different CO, mine was on holiday but at least the process was not held up, asking for the 2nd VAC payment. It was requested I pay by Visa Credit or with a A$ Bank Cheque in Oz.

I could not pay on a Visa Credit card as I could not pre load any of my cards, I am told it is against the rules, or increase my limit to cover the cost.

I could not pay with a Bank Cheque in A$ I do not have any money in Oz and any bank who provided the cheque in the UK has to have representation in Australia. None of my banks do and I don't know which have, perhaps HSBC.

As the exchange rate was very poor it was cheaper to pay in London anyway, so I decided to go this route.

I contacted my temporary CO to tell her of the problems I was experiencing paying in Oz and that I would like to pay in London which she said was ok.

So I downloaded the Payment Mandate and filled it in ticking the box to pay with my debit card, included a copy of the e mail from my CO requesting the payment, a return self addressed envelope and a covering letter. A couple of days later the money was taken and I received a receipt with a short note telling me they had also e mailed a copy of the receipt to my CO. All very easy and straight forward.

Just a few months ago I went on line and opened a NAB current and internet account, very easy to do.

I then also opened an account with UK Forex.

If I want to send funds to Oz I now go on line and easily transfer money from my Nationwide current account to UK Forex who then change it to Oz $ and transfer it into my Oz on line account.

I can not take any money out of the Oz accounts until I have been to one of their branches over there and prove my identity and pick up my cards etc.

Something I posted last May regarding me paying my VAC.

I received an e mail from a different CO, mine was on holiday but at least the process was not held up, asking for the 2nd VAC payment. It was requested I pay by Visa Credit or with a A$ Bank Cheque in Oz.

I could not pay on a Visa Credit card as I could not pre load any of my cards, I am told it is against the rules, or increase my limit to cover the cost.

I could not pay with a Bank Cheque in A$ I do not have any money in Oz and any bank who provided the cheque in the UK has to have representation in Australia. None of my banks do and I don't know which have, perhaps HSBC.

As the exchange rate was very poor it was cheaper to pay in London anyway, so I decided to go this route.

I contacted my temporary CO to tell her of the problems I was experiencing paying in Oz and that I would like to pay in London which she said was ok.

So I downloaded the Payment Mandate and filled it in ticking the box to pay with my debit card, included a copy of the e mail from my CO requesting the payment, a return self addressed envelope and a covering letter. A couple of days later the money was taken and I received a receipt with a short note telling me they had also e mailed a copy of the receipt to my CO. All very easy and straight forward.

This is exactly how I did it and it worked perfectly!!! Just double check the exchange rate first though as the rate is getting better this morning!!

K&M

This is exactly how I did it and it worked perfectly!!! Just double check the exchange rate first though as the rate is getting better this morning!!

K&M

Thank you all so much for the posts all very helpfull to me, will more than likely follow the above route, good to see an improvement in the exchange rate, dare we hope for better in months to come............ i so very hope so, every pound/ dollar counts for us all. Thanks again Ann

Hi Everyone,

Wanda and I have finally made it to sunny Oz, I have just finished reading Septembers posts and for a short time thought I had signed on to B.E. by mistake but it looks like the 'Poacher' has not been made the 'game keeper' and peace restored.

Just spent the last 2 days getting driving licences, medicare, bank accounts, phones etc sorted before we look at a car and a rental. We are staying with our son and d-i-l so no rush with our container not due until October.

Lovely spring weather in Brisbane so it has been shorts and t-shirts for the last 3 days which is a sight better than the weather we left behind in the UK.

Bali turned out to be the ideal place to unwind on the way over to here and with only 2 hours time difference from Qld not too bad on the body clock. People bound for Perth would find it even better with only a short flight away and no time difference.

Still in the holiday mode at the moment but the reality of what we have done will soon kickin. :confused::twitcy:

Regards

Les

Hi Everyone,

Wanda and I have finally made it to sunny Oz, I have just finished reading Septembers posts and for a short time thought I had signed on to B.E. by mistake but it looks like the 'Poacher' has not been made the 'game keeper' and peace restored.

Just spent the last 2 days getting driving licences, medicare, bank accounts, phones etc sorted before we look at a car and a rental. We are staying with our son and d-i-l so no rush with our container not due until October.

Lovely spring weather in Brisbane so it has been shorts and t-shirts for the last 3 days which is a sight better than the weather we left behind in the UK.

Bali turned out to be the ideal place to unwind on the way over to here and with only 2 hours time difference from Qld not too bad on the body clock. People bound for Perth would find it even better with only a short flight away and no time difference.

Still in the holiday mode at the moment but the reality of what we have done will soon kickin. :confused::twitcy:

Regards

Les

I'm sooo happy for you both.....enjoy living the dream :cool:

Phoebe

Hi Everyone,

Regards

Les

Good Luck to you, you made it. Our daughter phoned us this morning to say that our application has been looked at at last, so we should be getting a CO soon. Fingers crossed for us. Regards Ann and Roy.:hug:

Contracts exchanged just 2 hours after we waved goodbye to all our worldly goods on Wednesday (hope to be united with them by Christmas) After quite a hastle, managed to book flights leaving heathrow on 3rd October. Couldn't get a flight at Singapore Airlines for love nor money - could get to Singapore but nothing through to Adelaide for at least another three weeks

Finally got a good deal with Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong with a 40k luggage allowance each. We will set foot on Aussie soil 5 years to the day that our family arrived - what an amazing coincidence!

We've moved out even though we don't complete till next Thursday but several friends have offered B&B till we leave. In the meantime we are in our son's little house while he's in Portugal playing golf. Shame I packed my internet power cable but at least I can scrounge a bit of time on various friends computers to keep up with all the news and pick up important emails.

Could anyone who is recently granted a 143 give me some info regarding the shelter?

I have applied the 143 for my single mother and ticked on the box indicating that she will live with us. Will there be any requirements for our house eg. how many bedrooms... we need to have?

We are a couple with two kids renting a 3 bm house, is it ok?

If your sponsors tick on the box that you parents will live in other place, do you/ your sponsors need to prove anything eg. money, or... God knows?

Thank you.