Guest guest36187

Not sure this is a good time to ask about my electric toothbrush plug, but in for a penny in for a pound. When in Melbourne (and i am going out for xmas) I cannot find an adaptor that my electric toothbrush will fit into. Has anyone else come across this? and better still has anyone found a solution?

Love the site as much for the support as the info

Moira

You can get a UK adaptor which will take your 2 pin toothbrush plug which will plug into a 3 pin UK plug. I then plug this into a normal Oz adaptor.

Not sure this is a good time to ask about my electric toothbrush plug, but in for a penny in for a pound. When in Melbourne (and i am going out for xmas) I cannot find an adaptor that my electric toothbrush will fit into. Has anyone else come across this? and better still has anyone found a solution?

Moira

Just checked and all three of my UK to Oz adaptors will take either a three pin or two round pin UK plug. I thought all adaptors would take both types of plug. Look closely at the adaptor and are the two holes for the non earth plug pins rectangular but also curved on the inside edge of them to take the two round pins.

David

im so thankful for this form and grateful to all who take time to encourage us...even if i dont have any question still im so used to log in and check other posts. i feel im so easily connected with all this wonderful people and makes me to think as one big FAMILY. kee it going...

hi all, i have one quick question. in cpv143 form 47PA, qn 34 asks about the value of money, goods assets that we will be bringing to Australia. should we include the 2nd VAC amount too or should we mention the amount in hand after paying the second instalement? should we need to include proof for this amount along with the submission of application? sorry for these questions. As Im not going thru any migration agent, any help/suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance. im so excited and anxious.:wink:

hi all, i have one quick question. in cpv143 form 47PA, qn 34 asks about the value of money, goods assets that we will be bringing to Australia. should we include the 2nd VAC amount too or should we mention the amount in hand after paying the second instalement? should we need to include proof for this amount along with the submission of application? sorry for these questions. As Im not going thru any migration agent, any help/suggestion will be appreciated. thanks in advance. im so excited and anxious.:wink:

Hi no need to include second vac payment you wont have this cash when you get there,all of us who filled this form in some time ago all thought we would be taking a lot more (in aussie dollars) with us than we find we actually have now,you will not be asked to prove this however you have to declare if you are carrying more than $10,000 on entry.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Mike.

Moira

My wife found an adaptor for our toothbrush in Bunnings electrical section.

Ian

Hi no need to include second vac payment you wont have this cash when you get there,all of us who filled this form in some time ago all thought we would be taking a lot more (in aussie dollars) with us than we find we actually have now,you will not be asked to prove this however you have to declare if you are carrying more than $10,000 on entry.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Mike.

thanks mike. in that case if I mention the amount(after deducting all the 2nd VAC plus medical plus police clearance costs) , im afraid i will have very less to shown in application. will this affect the outcome? or do you think they will understand that I will have only less , after paying all this huge amount!!!!!Im struck with filling up this application. I hope I will fill this correctly. any help/suggestion? thanks in advance

thanks mike. in that case if I mention the amount(after deducting all the 2nd VAC plus medical plus police clearance costs) , im afraid i will have very less to shown in application. will this affect the outcome? or do you think they will understand that I will have only less , after paying all this huge amount!!!!!Im struck with filling up this application. I hope I will fill this correctly. any help/suggestion? thanks in advance

You should be just fine,take your time with the form,tell the truth and there should not be a problem we went from acknowledgement to visa grant in less than 11 months so things are defineitely speeding up now, good luck with your journey.

cheers.

Mike.

The amount various so much over time, it mainly depends on how much you can sell your house for and the exchange rate when you transfer funds.

I just estimated how much my house was worth and added on any cash we would be taking and put that amount in the local currency box and converted it to Oz $ using the exchange rate at the time and put that amount in the Oz$ box. They never asked for proof of anything.

David

Moira

I'm of the UK 2-pin adapter persuasion Moira, which I plug into a UK extension lead which has a local plug on it. It's worth bringing a good quality switchable UK extension lead with you if you have a number of UK plugs which can't be changed (eg on chargers). But you can also get 2-pin and single UK adapters locally in many places.

Moira

Just buy one in Australia as you will be needing it eventually. I have just got one in Woolworths ; a basic model with two brushheads only about $30.

i was reading old posts and parents migration booklet and it says the sponsor should be settled. That means 2 yrs of residency plus permanent job or house(this is my understanding) my son is in australia for past 4 1/2 (54 months) out of which 4 yrs as student and 3 months as PR. He has permanent job, but no house or car or any property. can i apply for CPV143 or do I need to wait for next 2 yrs? I dont want my application to be rejected due to this. can anyone pl advise? i dont want to wait for 2 yrs but I am not sure if Im qualified. do you think my son should call DIAC and get this clarified? can anyone advise? i got all documents ready and about to submit , but so many doubts coming daily...

i was reading old posts and parents migration booklet and it says the sponsor should be settled. That means 2 yrs of residency plus permanent job or house(this is my understanding) my son is in australia for past 4 1/2 (54 months) out of which 4 yrs as student and 3 months as PR. He has permanent job, but no house or car or any property. can i apply for CPV143 or do I need to wait for next 2 yrs? I dont want my application to be rejected due to this. can anyone pl advise? i dont want to wait for 2 yrs but I am not sure if Im qualified. do you think my son should call DIAC and get this clarified? can anyone advise? i got all documents ready and about to submit , but so many doubts coming daily...

I don't want to put you off, but somone has posted that DIAC are getting a bit stricter regarding sponsors being "settled". I don't know for sure, but I don't think the years as a student would count. In our case, our daughter and s-i-l had two years on temporary (457) visas, but we didn't try until they had two further years of PR.

Maybe you should email the Parent Visa Centre (parents@immi.gov.au) and simply ask?

Good luck, Mike

I don't want to put you off, but somone has posted that DIAC are getting a bit stricter regarding sponsors being "settled". I don't know for sure, but I don't think the years as a student would count. In our case, our daughter and s-i-l had two years on temporary (457) visas, but we didn't try until they had two further years of PR.

Maybe you should email the Parent Visa Centre (parents@immi.gov.au) and simply ask?

Good luck, Mike

Thanks Mike. I emailed Parents visa centre. Let me wait for their reply.will update you.

Our daughter doesn't own her own house, but had rented, in her name - so could produce evidence of that and it was sufficient. She had worked over here for 3 years though.

Our daughter doesn't own her own house, but had rented, in her name - so could produce evidence of that and it was sufficient. She had worked over here for 3 years though.

Yes. I think the essential thing is that there must be proof of being settled here in Australia.

Charlie

Guest patricia107

Hello everyone, I have been reading the very informative posts over the last year, and sympathised with everything everyone is going through, but need some help myself now... really need some advice. This is the first time I have ever been on anything like this so bear with me. We applied for our cpv 143 visa in May 2011 which was acknowledged immediately. With the state of the property market here we decided to put the house on the market thinking it would give us a good year to sell it, well it sold in three weeks to cash buyers who want to come in by the end of November this year. We have two daughters who are both citizens and live in Sydney.

1.If the house sale completes - we would like to go straight out to Australia (perhaps on a six month, one year tourist visa) but do not know if that is possible - anyone know? We can stay with daughters.

2. Can we open a bank and savings account out there from here, send our money out and access it if we go out on tourist visa? And if so how do we do that?

3. Can we take our car out there if we don't yet have the cpv visa? Or does it have to go into storage, that also applies to the very small amount of furniture we will have - they want to buy the house lock stock and barrel? Or do we have to wait until CPV visa is issued?

4. If we could do all of the above, and would be living with my daughter, could all of the mail from DIAC go there, and could we have police checks done from there, and the medicals of course?

I have a million questions but my brains are a little scrambled with the speed of all of this, and I don't really want to go into rented for the next year whilst waiting for the parents visa to be processed and we don't want to say no to the house sale with the state of the market at the moment. Come to think of it state of the dollar against the pound at the moment, sickenly our son in law told us to come out when the rate was really strong, but hindsight is a brilliant thing!!!!

Sorry this is such a long post especially for a first post, but thank you for any help you can give us.

Patricia

Hello everyone, I have been reading the very informative posts over the last year, and sympathised with everything everyone is going through, but need some help myself now... really need some advice. This is the first time I have ever been on anything like this so bear with me. We applied for our cpv 143 visa in May 2011 which was acknowledged immediately. With the state of the property market here we decided to put the house on the market thinking it would give us a good year to sell it, well it sold in three weeks to cash buyers who want to come in by the end of November this year. We have two daughters who are both citizens and live in Sydney.

1.If the house sale completes - we would like to go straight out to Australia (perhaps on a six month, one year tourist visa) but do not know if that is possible - anyone know? We can stay with daughters.

2. Can we open a bank and savings account out there from here, send our money out and access it if we go out on tourist visa? And if so how do we do that?

3. Can we take our car out there if we don't yet have the cpv visa? Or does it have to go into storage, that also applies to the very small amount of furniture we will have - they want to buy the house lock stock and barrel? Or do we have to wait until CPV visa is issued?

4. If we could do all of the above, and would be living with my daughter, could all of the mail from DIAC go there, and could we have police checks done from there, and the medicals of course?

I have a million questions but my brains are a little scrambled with the speed of all of this, and I don't really want to go into rented for the next year whilst waiting for the parents visa to be processed and we don't want to say no to the house sale with the state of the market at the moment. Come to think of it state of the dollar against the pound at the moment, sickenly our son in law told us to come out when the rate was really strong, but hindsight is a brilliant thing!!!!

Sorry this is such a long post especially for a first post, but thank you for any help you can give us.

Patricia

Hi

The simple answer is yes, yes, yes & yes. I hope your sale proceeds and that you can move out here quickly.

You will have to leave Australia temporarily for your visa to be issued but lots of people do this.

Best of luck

Charlie

Charlie

Guest patricia107

Hi Charlie

I have just spent ten minutes trying to find out how to say a massive thank you to you, (son has come in and helped!!) and I am fairly computer savey!

So hope this works - thank you thank you for answering so quickly.

Kind regards Patricia

Hi

The simple answer is yes, yes, yes & yes. I hope your sale proceeds and that you can move out here quickly.

You will have to leave Australia temporarily for your visa to be issued but lots of people do this.

Best of luck

Charlie

Charlie

Patricia

We opened a bank account from the UK with NAB. There is a banking section on this forum which has a direct link to the application form. All very simple. You can pay money in and just need to go along to the bank with your passport when you arrive in Oz to be able to operate it.

With regard to taking your car to Australia, I believe that shipping it out there can be very expensive so maybe not worth it unless it is a very high end model.

When we shipped our furniture out our shippers wanted proof of our visa. We wanted to send a suitcase out in advance, but they wouldn't take it till we had our visa. Having said that, we had a situation where we weren't sure if we would sell our house and were going to rent it out and put our stuff in storage. We did manage to sell and used John Mason to ship our stuff. They did say that if we had put it into storage they would have been able to collect it from there for us. It is better to ship if you can as the storage costs are cheaper over here. Hope this helps.

We applied for our cpv 143 visa in May 2011 which was acknowledged immediately. well it sold in three weeks to cash buyers who want to come in by the end of November this year.

1.If the house sale completes - we would like to go straight out to Australia (perhaps on a six month, one year tourist visa) but do not know if that is possible -

3. Can we take our car out there that also applies to the very small amount of furniture we will have - they want to buy the house lock stock and barrel? Or do we have to wait until CPV visa is issued?

4. would be living with my daughter, could all of the mail from DIAC go there, and could we have police checks done from there, and the medicals of course?

Patricia

Hi Pat

More will respond and I have read charlie 5 and lindays reply. One thing to bear in mind anything anybody says is advise freely given but may not suit everyone.

1 house sale :- in this market don't loose it if it is the price and everything you want. Consider renting in UK for say 6 months to save paying storage charges.

Tourist visa I am sure that you can be in Oz on a long term (1 yr) tourist visa while you wait for the 143. Sure someone else will confirm. As linday said you will have to leave Oz to have visa granted but take holiday in Bali or New Zealand for 5? days.

2 Bank:-Dead easy, E mail the bank you want to open an account with and they will walk you through it but you will not be able to withdraw funds until you have verified your details with them, generally in Oz.

3 Car is a difficult one. As replied not generally worth it due to shipping costs and tax on entry into Oz. On furniture see earlier comment and check with shippers as to positiion re visa and when to ship.

4 Do not see a problem, use form 1022? to notify DIAC of your change of address, but easiest way is if they communicate by e mail you can be anywhere in the world and still get all the messages "immediately". Medicals you can have done in Oz so no problem and police checks just done by post.

Bear with it, take your time, read anything to do with the move (money, pension, jobs, housing. etc ) It's amazing what you can find by just browsing the net.

Best of luck, Get on the tracker, it gives it a sense of proportion and don't worry (too much)

regards

Good luck, Mike

This is the reply I got from parents visa Centre:

Settled means that you have been residing in Australia as an Australian citizen or permanent resident for a reasonable period (usually 2 years). However, in some special circumstances a shorter period may be considered if you are an Australian citizen or if you have been residing lawfully on a temporary residence in Australia.

Be aware that a shorter period may in some special cases be counted towards the settlement requirement, but this is not a guarantee that it will be accepted. Each case is considered on an individual basis by the Case Officer who will make the decision.