Guest guest36187

Excess Luggage.  Is there an airline which will allow extra weight (say two main suitcases plus cabin bag) if emigrating - I've already validated my visa but will of course only be buying a one-way ticket.  

I'm sure there was some info on this subject way back but can't find it now.

Just a bit of forward planning really to be filed under "useful information"?

https://www.sendmybag.com/. Great service. Much cheaper than excess baggage. We sent two suitcases. You have to fill in a form for customs, listing contents and resale value.  They were collected from home by DHL.  They guy picking them up was very efficient, checked our paperwork and that bag contents contained no prohibited items. They arrived in Aus 6 days later

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sadge said:

Excess Luggage.  Is there an airline which will allow extra weight (say two main suitcases plus cabin bag) if emigrating - I've already validated my visa but will of course only be buying a one-way ticket.  

Why not treat yourself to a business class ticket. 

• Like 1

Emmysgran - I'm not asking about excess baggage, I'm asking about extra allowance when you're emigrating if you've already validated your visa.  Sorry, I word my query badly - I did mean extra rather than excess.

Judy - because I don't feel the need to - I'm quite happy flying economy.  

Edited by Sadge
Added info.

34 minutes ago, Sadge said:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marilyn said:

Hi - $325 to submit the 143 application then 2nd VAC of $19,745 then the AOS is $10,000.

It’s about another nought on your first figure for deposit $3855 1st applicant and 2nd vac is $43600 for 1st applicant on a straight 143

Edited by Kathss56

I think the original poster queried the charges from 173 to 143 visa? 

Many of the first vac charges increased on 1st July by the consumer price index and will now continue  be increased annually .. so far no changes to the second vacs but as they have jumped from approx $33000 to 43600 (for straight 143 visa) in the last eight years or so and given Australia's seeming desire to reduce Immigration , particularly by parents who they feel will cost the taxpayer too much, many people feel that the second vacs will increase substantially in the future. They have already tried to vastly increase the AOS but because they tried to make it retrospective it caused a huge outcry and it was withdrawn.  That doesn't mean they may not try to increase it for future applications! 

I think the first vac is now $340 for  173 applicants applying for 143. The first figures quoted for second vac seem about right but that is for one person so two parents or two parents and an adult dependant would pay more and also more AOS. 

So best advice is for any 173 applicant wishing to change to 143 is to apply  as soon as possible  bearing in mind the possible gamble of an increased second vac and / or AOS

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I think the original poster queried the charges from 173 to 143 visa? 

Many of the first vac charges increased on 1st July by the consumer price index and will now continue  be increased annually .. so far no changes to the second vacs but as they have jumped from approx $33000 to 43600 in the last eight years and given Australia's seeming desire to reduce Immigration , particularly by parents who they feel will cost the taxpayer too much, many people feel that the second vacs will increase substantially in the future. They have already tried to vastly increase the AOS but because they tried to make it retrospective it caused a huge outcry and it was withdrawn.  That doesn't mean they may not try to increase it for future applications! 

I think the first vac is now $340 for  173 applicants applying for 143. The first figures quoted for second vac seem about right but that is for one person so two parents or two parents and an adult dependant would pay more and also more AOS. 

So best advice is for any 173 applicant wishing to change to 143 is to apply  as soon as possible  bearing in mind the possible gamble of an increased second vac and / or AOS

Yes that is correct - 173 to 143 visa - that is what I am doing only because I didn't have the funds to do the 143 at the time of submission but it has taken so long I actually managed to save for the whole lot and could have gone straight for 143.  I will be applying for 143 as soon as I activated the 173 visa. Just need to clarify the form to be completed is the 47PT if anyone knows?

40 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

Yes that is correct - 173 to 143 visa - that is what I am doing only because I didn't have the funds to do the 143 at the time of submission but it has taken so long I actually managed to save for the whole lot and could have gone straight for 143.  I will be applying for 143 as soon as I activated the 173 visa. Just need to clarify the form to be completed is the 47PT if anyone knows?

Are you going to ask your case officer (when you get one) if you can just go directly for your 143 now? I don't think there is much chance unfortunately, but no harm in asking.

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Are you going to ask your case officer (when you get one) if you can just go directly for your 143 now? I don't think there is much chance unfortunately, but no harm in asking.

Hi - I been reading through the threads in the past and it doesn't look like it is an option but I will ask. If not then I will do it straight away upon landing - will say hi to the family first then pop into a post office on the way home ...just kidding - will definately do it asap. 

On 07/07/2018 at 08:58, gafuk said:

Its hard mentally sometimes, " have I done the right thing " This week it's 80 degress in uk and pouring down in Perth !

Apart from that, we decided to have a few weeks off to recover from the stresses of the weeks/months leading up to our migration. Those weeks were a blur and nothing to do with the alcohol. With our house sale, disposal of stuff we were not taking, leaving party to arrange, sorting the stuff we were sending in the container, trying to visit friends and relatives and just not having time to do everything. Even up until 2 am the night before we flew sorting our baggage weights and even then the taxi came to pick us up at 8 am and were not ready and were 10 minutes late. In honesty that would be no surprise for me but my wife is mega organised and she struggled. So yes I would say plan a long way in advance and perhaps don't book the first available flight like we did. Try and get your friends and relatives set up with email, skype, watsapp etc so you can keep in touch.

You are leaving a lot behind that you will miss a little when you get here.

But it's been 4 weeks and we are living in Perth with our Daughter. Our son has been over from Melbourne so the stress was all worth it as they are the reason we came. We have eventually bought a car ( they are twice the price by the way) and just had offer accepted on a block of land that we are going to build on. We are not retiring and now we've had a few weeks off to complete the paperwork we are starting to look for jobs. Yet to see how Australia views the 60 + as far as being job candidates. One thing we have done is get our seniors cards as soon as we could. They are great !  free travel , discounts in many cafe's and restaurants etc , even money of driving license and rates plus lots of other perks, just for being old !! . First time I've been happy about it.   Read up on it and get one asap .

The Perth sky is nearly always big and blue, the sea is turquoise and the sand... sandy coloured. But we have left behind everything we know and are used to. We are starting fresh and at our age we wonder whether we will get to the comfy stage we had in the UK. But I can hug my daughter every day,  talk to my son who is now in the same half of the world as me, if any of us have a problem we can all be together within a few hours and that makes it all worth while.

The waiting room can be frustrating and the journey is emotional even when you eventually get here but it is well worth the wait. Good luck to everyone and keep looking to your future with your kids. This forum will be a great help , thanks.

Where in Perth are you, I’m living in Harrisdale SOR (south of river) 

18 minutes ago, DavidHD said:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/duttons-vetting-drive-slashes-20000-from-migrant-intake/news-story/a0510c51e8be5411e421f1792c847a4

Dutton is at it again! He slashed immigration intake by more than 20k , bringing it to the lowest level in 10 years

I have read a similar article via another source this morning. From what I have read,  they have become stricter with the processing of the visa's and the criteria being met/not met - not necessarily reducing the number of visa's.  Applicants in the system still need to be looked at and processed, still taking time and using resources whether the visa application outcome is successful or not. 

7 minutes ago, purplealster said:

I have read a similar article via another source this morning. From what I have read,  they have become stricter with the processing of the visa's and the criteria being met/not met - not necessarily reducing the number of visa's.  Applicants in the system still need to be looked at and processed, still taking time and using resources whether the visa application outcome is successful or not. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/24/the-cut-to-the-migration-program-is-more-politics-than-policy

The opinion of one who used to work at a senior level in Canberra ... methinks (being a cynic) that the "stricter processing" line is a play for the political high ground.

Onwards!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Leask said:

We are 16 July and similarly heard nothing so far emoji30.png

2 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Another friday passes without any movement from 5th may 2015 ?

My sympathies! I know how you feel! Sometimes you want to cry with frustration - because in lots of ways your life is on hold. Hang on in there. It will happen. TRY (!?) to live in the moment.

(I tried - but found it a challenge!)

• Like 6