Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, Nicole Eire said:

Visa granted this morning... after 40months of waiting. Beyond relief, my mam cried her eyes out. Can't wait to be together again. So happy to finally be posting this at the end of the journey x

Congrats to you

2 hours ago, sh aron said:

At last got the visa for my mom and sister ☺️ . thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. All the best to those who are waiting !!!!

Hi can I ask did they request the Form 80 from your mom? I just want to get all my documents completed beforehand with the relevant details and then will just sign and date it when requested.

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think you'd be wiser not to take the chance.  I believe you can open an Australian bank account in your own name, so it would be worth looking into that.

The other option is to transfer money into Australian dollars with a company like Moneycorp.    We opened an account with Moneycorp when we were moving countries.  We chose a good time to transfer, then just let the money sit in our account until we were ready.  You can't get a bank statement from them though, as they're not a bank - however you could enquire whether they could give you some kind of statement showing you have the funds.

Thank you that is very helpful. I transferred funds today via XE and they are fantastic - I am fortunate that my daughter has a savings account open but doesn't use it so I am using that at the moment and doing the transfer in batches to get the best ROE (transfer is free). Once I am there i will just open an account with the same bank as her and transfer the funds. ANZ allow you to open up a bank account online whilst outside Australia but unfortunately you need to give them an estimated arrival date which is very difficult.

2 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

New account from Transferwise.... might be of interest to some of you. I'm not recommending this and I haven't checked it out myself yet.

https://transferwise.com/borderless-account/welcome/

I have been trying borderless accounts with Transferwise and they are very simple to use. You have most of the functions of a normal bank account in just about any country and I also have a debit card which you can use anywhere. In my opinion you also get the best exchange rates with Transferwise.

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

New account from Transferwise.... might be of interest to some of you. I'm not recommending this and I haven't checked it out myself yet.

https://transferwise.com/borderless-account/welcome/

They charge you for the transfer in hidden costs - you better off with XE I have already used them they very good with excellent rates - you get a letter in the post to confirm your registeration so they very legit. I have already used them and the transfer is free - I sent $5,000 to my daughter and there were no extra charges on either side she received the funds after 24 hours - we both got emails confirming the transfer. I believe TorFX work in a similar manner. I have registered on both and will keep an eye on the ROE - you can set up a rate alert as well. You can also open up a ANZ bank account from outside Aus but you need an estimated date of arrival - this is also done online. I have done LOTS of research!

On 02/07/2018 at 14:04, Nkassan said:

Hi All

does anyone might know if the payment for the 2nd VAC can be delayed after it is being requested? example I was asked to pay 58k for 2 parents and we were waiting on the house to be sold but it is not selling on time and we might miss the 28 days period, so can we ask for extension on the payment?

Regards

HI Nikassan,  Hope you have already got this sorted but I was told that you can ask for an extension ( Normally another 28 days).  Maybe consider your options then, I got quotes on bridging loans but the charges were around 5k . but do your own homework, if you have a lot of equity it may be worth a consideration. I had great offers from my credit card company which were costing a fraction of the bridging loan costs.  tricky time for you but I've been there and came through so good luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marilyn said:

Hi can I ask did they request the Form 80 from your mom? I just want to get all my documents completed beforehand with the relevant details and then will just sign and date it when requested.

yes both for my mom and sister

8 hours ago, sh aron said:

But they asked me why I cannot provide marriage certificate.So better get it done.

Thy asked you to provide ? Marriage certificate, then what reason you gave them bcz you provide ration card .  you are from punjab ??or other

9 hours ago, sh aron said:

At last got the visa for my mom and sister ☺️ . thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. All the best to those who are waiting !!!!

First of all congrtzzz & let me know is ur sister dependant on ur mother, do you guys provided bills & other proof for shelter clothingetc

2 hours ago, Marilyn said:

They charge you for the transfer in hidden costs - you better off with XE I have already used them they very good with excellent rates - you get a letter in the post to confirm your registeration so they very legit. I have already used them and the transfer is free - I sent $5,000 to my daughter and there were no extra charges on either side she received the funds after 24 hours - we both got emails confirming the transfer. I believe TorFX work in a similar manner. I have registered on both and will keep an eye on the ROE - you can set up a rate alert as well. You can also open up a ANZ bank account from outside Aus but you need an estimated date of arrival - this is also done online. I have done LOTS of research!

No transfers are free... you either pay a set fee up front like  Transferwise  or  you get a cent or two below bank rate like most of the FX companies and most of the banks... I would also say there are no hidden costs with transferwise, all the info is on the screen before you press the button to send your money...ie, transfer fee, exchange rate and  the amount that will actually be sent to your chosen bank. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Marilyn said:

That’s just not true and I’m starting to get a bit sick of the misleading information posted on here about currency exchange companies.

With Transferwise everything is transparent and clearly detailed before you commit, nothing is hidden. It doesn’t even sound like you’ve actually tried Transferwise, so it’s difficult to understand why you would post a comment saying “They charge you for the transfer in hidden costs”.

If you really feel you got a better deal with XE, why not say what the rate was or how much AUD you got for your £5k? Which would be far more useful to other readers.

Use whichever company you feel comfortable with, that’s your choice and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But the great value of this forum is sharing authentic information in helpful way. Just keep it real please.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

No transfers are free... you either pay a set fee up front like  Transferwise  or  you get a cent or two below bank rate like most of the FX companies and most of the banks... I would also say there are no hidden costs with transferwise, all the info is on the screen before you press the button to send your money...ie, transfer fee, exchange rate and  the amount that will actually be sent to your chosen bank. 

I agree with Ray and Geri. I use transferwise regularly, having researched and used other companies over the years to transfer money to Australia and France.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

That’s just not true and I’m starting to get a bit sick of the misleading information posted on here about currency exchange companies.

With Transferwise everything is transparent and clearly detailed before you commit, nothing is hidden. It doesn’t even sound like you’ve actually tried Transferwise, so it’s difficult to understand why you would post a comment saying “They charge you for the transfer in hidden costs”.

If you really feel you got a better deal with XE, why not say what the rate was or how much AUD you got for your £5k? Which would be far more useful to other readers.

Use whichever company you feel comfortable with, that’s your choice and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But the great value of this forum is sharing authentic information in helpful way. Just keep it real please.

You are right I apologies sincerely - my info was incorrect I stand corrected. I was confusing with another company. I will heed your advice 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

I stand corrected It was another site I had tried before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

You are right I apologies sincerely - my info was incorrect I stand corrected. I was confusing with another company. I will heed your advice 

No need to apologise… but thank you.

Most parents here are transferring life savings to Australia, so I’m sure you understand that the detail is so important. I do like to use Transferwise and I’m happy the share my experiences, and I’m also very interested to hear how other companies compare with rates and fees.

I don’t think there is a definitive best, you just have to go with the company which works for you.

Also the exchange rate is not bad at the moment at $1.79. Now I’m not qualified in any way to give advice, BUT I think it could go above $1.82 again next week. This is due to the Brexit ‘White Paper’ which is going to be published soon. And any Brexit announcement with tangible detail does appear to help the pound.

3 hours ago, Marilyn said:

This is the danger when giving “advice” on a forum. Unless you really know your facts you shouldn’t post. Over the years I have seen some shockers. 

We have used  Transferwise every month for a long time as we already live in Australia and our income comes from UK, and can’t fault them, the transfer is very quick. However i’m sure that there are other companies that some posters prefer.

• Like 2