Guest guest36187

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Sorry I have no idea what visa your friends are on.

To the best of my knowledge when a group of us on the 410 visa met with Peter Dutton 18 months ago, he assured us that as there were so few of us on the 410 visa in Australia, approximately 3,500, and the fact that we are totally self funded, there were no plans to change our visas. He also said there were plans in place to let us apply for PR which has now been announced. 

The 410 was closed in 2005 to new applicants, and is now renewed for 10 years for existing holders with almost no hassle, we cost the country nothing, but spend our money here, so you could say we are a bonus to Australia!!!

The other retirement visa 405 although also self funded has very different conditions, I don’t know much about it, but it was also closed to new applicants in the last budget. Don’t know what the rules will be about reapplying for this visa for existing visa holders.

No problem. Thanks

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Sorry I have no idea what visa your friends are on.

To the best of my knowledge when a group of us on the 410 visa met with Peter Dutton 18 months ago, he assured us that as there were so few of us on the 410 visa in Australia, approximately 3,500, and the fact that we are totally self funded, there were no plans to change our visas. He also said there were plans in place to let us apply for PR which has now been announced. 

The 410 was closed in 2005 to new applicants, and is now renewed for 10 years for existing holders with almost no hassle, we cost the country nothing, but spend our money here, so you could say we are a bonus to Australia!!!

The other retirement visa 405 although also self funded has very different conditions, I don’t know much about it, but it was also closed to new applicants in the last budget. Don’t know what the rules will be about reapplying for this visa for existing visa holders.

Do you find the 410 too risky. Which parent visa are you applying for then? Thanks

4 minutes ago, ant111 said:

Do you find the 410 too risky. Which parent visa are you applying for then? Thanks

No I don’t  really feel vulnerable on the 410, but health insurance is very expensive, and there are costs that we incurr that you don’t as a PR, eg I think you have to pay more if you move house?

We retired here with no family here 15 years ago, we had lived in Brunei for 10 years, and weren’t ready to move back to UK.

Two of our children have followed us here so we are eligible for the 864 CPV, 

17 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, this may be technically true, but I noticed in last months Global Processing Times update, they were showing longer times for 173 visas compared to 143s. Also from other posters experiences, there doesn’t appear to be any significant difference.

But I defer to your expertise and personally I hope you are right, as it would be nice if we could find anything positive from applying for 173s.

I know I have asked you this before, but have you had any recent experience of people switching from a 173 to 143 after being allocated a case officer? Surely it’s only the AoS to add and I can’t understand why this would generate any complications.    

I think you'll find that you have to lodge a new visa application and start afresh if you want to apply for a 143 visa: the 143 is in an entirely separate visa class to the 173, and there is no Ministerial Direction in this regard that allows for the substitution of the lodgement date of the earlier application in the later application (unlike 103 applicants who switch to a 143, or an 804 applicant switching to an 864).

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

Hi

i have applied 143 for my parents in feb this year. I started reading this thread few days back ..... it's been very informative. Would like to thank all you guys for sharing !

I am surprised and depressed to know that there are 46000+ applications in queue as of April 2018. Based on simple maths, it means more than 6 years of wait!!!

if that's the case, then why is IMMI website still showing 44 months as processing time??? Actually that was 36 months around 3-4 months back. They are updating every month since 2017 but still so far from accurate. 

Is this figure of 46000 really correct?

I think immi posts processing time according to the visas they are currently processing. Many applicants who applied before end April 2015 are only just getting their grants now. Many have waited 40 months or more as they’ve been told they will get their visas  but not until after end of financial year this month so after July 1st

The high figure comes from an earlier post  detailing an query from a senator McKim about parent visas. - think it’s a post on page 681  by Kathss56

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, Kaybee said:

Hi

i have applied 143 for my parents in feb this year. I started reading this thread few days back ..... it's been very informative. Would like to thank all you guys for sharing !

I am surprised and depressed to know that there are 46000+ applications in queue as of April 2018. Based on simple maths, it means more than 6 years of wait!!!

if that's the case, then why is IMMI website still showing 44 months as processing time??? Actually that was 36 months around 3-4 months back. They are updating every month since 2017 but still so far from accurate. 

Is this figure of 46000 really correct?

Unfortunately the official processing times only give a guide to the current status, which is very different to the processing times for new applicants. This is one of my pet hates, as it’s misleading people into thinking they will have visas years before the real result. I think it would be wise to plan for approximately 6 years for your parents application.

The Department of Home Affairs releases annual immigration data via their website - (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/reports-publications/research-statistics/statistics/live-in-australia/migration-programme)

The Australian financial year runs from 1st of July to 30th June and these reports are normally published around November. So we still have to wait for this years, but we did hear from a Senator McKim interview, that the current CPV pipeline was 46,745 in May 2018.

This is a summery of the last few years and you can see how quickly the queue is increasing.

5a8ea701ba9a6_ContributoryParentQueue(YearonYear).thumb.png.b21a158b77222e153b74cd2e768c93c0.png

Also don’t forget that out of those 7175 places some  are going to be reserved for 405/410 applicants  and possibly some for South African farmers - and also that figure is now referred to as a “ceiling” so they don’t have to grant that many if they’re told not to!! 

• Like 1

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id%3A"committees%2Festimate%2F75507344-48f1-4665-8f23-623c6eb5c20d%2F0002"

Senator McKIM: Thank you. I'm very happy for you to take this on notice if you need to: could you provide the average assessment time and the average wait time?

Ms Dacey : For partner provisional, 75 per cent of applications are processed within 12 months. Then the permanent stage, because it's a two-stage process—

Senator McKIM: Sorry, 75 per cent within 12 months?

Ms Dacey : Yes. We do global average processing times, so we talk about the 75th percentile; 75 per cent of applications are processed within that time frame. We call it stage 1 partner and stage 2 partner. Stage 1 partner is 12 months and stage 2 partner is 16 months.

Senator McKIM: Sorry, the lengths of time you're giving—

Ms Dacey : Are you talking about pipelines, sorry, not average processing times?

Senator McKIM: I was going to ask about average processing times, so you might as well keep going while you're there. So you're giving me the length of time it's taking to process 75 per cent?

Ms Dacey : That's right. Child is 12 months, and partner permanent is 19 months. I've got some other information that you were seeking, I think, on some of the other caseloads; is that right?

Senator McKIM: Yes. There's 103, the parent visa; there's 143, the contributory parent visa; and there's another one, which I think is the contributory aged parent visa.

Ms Dacey : Yes, there is. Orphaned relative was another category, which is 12 to 57 months; contributory parent is approximately 40 months; parent is 30-plus years; and other family is up to 56 years. We've had these conversations in other hearings about the fact that they're small numbers, very aged cases, because of the small numbers available under the program each year. The bulk of the family reunion visas are given to partner.

Senator McKIM: Can I be clear: were you talking about assessment times there?

Ms Dacey : Global processing times, yes.

Senator McKIM: I can understand, given your previous comments, that it might take a long time for the issuing of a visa. But why would it take you 30-plus years to assess 75 per cent of the visas in some classes?

Ms Golightly : I might be misunderstanding, but the global processing time is the assessment and issuing.

Senator McKIM: Do you break it down into assessment times and time post-assessment up until issuing?

Ms Golightly : No, it's a bit different. It's not like the citizenship program, where you have to turn up later at a scheduled event.

Ms Dacey : It's when you hit the button and lodge your application.

Ms Golightly : We assess, we make a decision and we notify.

Senator McKIM: So these times are from the date on which the application was lodged to when the visa is actually issued?

Ms Dacey : Correct.

Ms Golightly : Or a decision was made.

Senator McKIM: If a decision's made, does that mean the visa can be issued or do you then have to wait for a place to become available?

Ms Dacey : No, we won't grant unless—

Senator McKIM: A place is available?

Ms Dacey : a place is available; that's right.

Senator McKIM: Are they trending up or down compared to equivalent times in years gone by—in the last five years or so? Do you have any data on that? Maybe you could take it on notice. Do you have any general comments or awareness as to whether those times are trending up or down?

Ms Golightly : We can take that on notice. I know that's been the case for quite some time for some of those longer-term ones.

Senator McKIM: What's been the case, sorry?

Ms Golightly : The average processing times.

Senator McKIM: Are you saying they're relatively consistent over—

Ms Golightly : Yes. We'll take it on notice, but I know that it's fairly consistent for some of those longer categories.

Senator McKIM: I presume all the application fees for those visas are public information on the department's website, are they?

Ms Dacey : Yes.

Senator McKIM: Thank you. We've talked about time frames. Do you have data there about the number of people that are on—I call it a waiting list, but that's probably not the department's terminology. How many people have applied and are waiting for the issuance of visas in the family program?

Ms Dacey : I can give you on-hand statistics as at 30 April this year. For partner, which includes prospective marriage, there are 71,182 cases on hand; for child, there are 3,078; for orphaned relative, there are 1,410; for contributory parent, there are 46,745; for parent, there are 50,644; and for other family, there are 11,986.

Senator McKIM: When you say 'parent' is that a non-contributory parent?

Ms Dacey : Correct.

Senator McKIM: Where does non-contributory aged parent fit into that? Sorry, I think it is contributory aged parent.

Ms Dacey : I don't have it as a separate category, so I'll take it on notice just to make sure.

Senator McKIM: Just to be clear: as of 30 April there were 46,745 people waiting for a contributory parent visa?

Ms Dacey : That's right.

Senator McKIM: So that's actually up 8,000 since last year—since 30 June 2017—on my numbers.

Ms Golightly : Demand continues to outstrip what places are available.

Senator McKIM: Clearly.

Ms Golightly : I haven't got last year's figures here, but—

Senator McKIM: I do. Perhaps you could provide last year's figures—say, as at 30 June last year—for all of the categories that Ms Dacey just went through so that the committee can compare what I would call the waiting list or the people who are waiting.

Ms Golightly : Yes, we'll take that on notice.

Senator McKIM: Thank you. That's a lot of people waiting to bring a parent out in that class, and there are other classes that you've gone through. The reason isn't actually the length of time it's taking the department to process the claim, is it? The reason is that there is only a fixed amount available and there is much higher demand than there are places available in those programs. Is that a fair or accurate comment?

Ms Dacey : Fundamentally, yes.

Senator McKIM: The number of visas available per year in each of those categories is public knowledge?

Ms Dacey : The planning levels?

Senator McKIM: Is the number of places available each year in each of those programs on the department's website somewhere?

Ms Dacey : Yes, absolutely.

Senator McKIM: Has the minister asked the department for any advice on this? Is there any intention to address this? As you've said, Ms Golightly, not only is demand outstripping supply but it looks like the rate at which demand is outstripping supply is growing as well. That's a pretty big jump. If my figures are right, which I believe they are, there are 8,000 extra people waiting in the contributory parent pipeline in a year.

Ms Golightly : We've taken on notice the comparison to last year.

Ms Dacey : There was a particular set of circumstances around the parent category last year. Senator, you might recall that there was an announcement by the government that they were going to introduce a new temporary parent pathway. There was a date on that announcement. We saw people actually, somewhat counterintuitively, rushing to apply for the permanent one in advance of the commencement of the temporary one. It's a bit perverse. We weren't expecting it. So that category more so than any other experienced quite an unusual outcome.

Senator McKIM: So I guess a spike in applications?

Ms Dacey : I don't like that word, but, yes.

Ms Golightly : We had an increase in applications.

Senator McKIM: Okay. I wasn't trying to use it in a pejorative way. There has been a significant increase in the number of applicants?

Ms Dacey : That's right.

Senator McKIM: Thank you.

CHAIR: Are you finished?

Senator McKIM: Not only am I finished, Chair, but I'll put the rest of my questions on that output on notice.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Alan, what a fiasco/disgrace it all is, as a long term member of PIO, I know how much you have advised and helped posters over the years.

I don’t know if this scenario is viable, but even though we have lodged an 864 application, if the pathway for 410 visa holders is to be fast tracked? Should we, could we lodge an additional application? Would have a serious sense of humour failure if 410 visa friends lodge well after us but get PR sooner.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ramot said:

Thank you Alan, what a fiasco it all is, as a long term member of PIO, I know how much you have advised and helped posters over the years.

I don’t know if this scenario is viable, but even though we have lodged an 864 application, if the pathway for 410 visa holders is to be fast tracked? Should we, could we lodge an additional application? Would have a serious sense of humour failure if 410 visa friends lodge well after us but get PR sooner.

Many thanks for your kind words.

I will be surprised if subclass 410 and 405 visa holders are fast tracked in the permanent visa process - but I'd not be so bold as to say it won't happen.

Let's wait to see the legislation and Department policy   Strategies to adopt will flow from there.

Best regards.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Same thing with the new temporary parent visa, lots of announcements and then nothing. It was supposed to start last November. I am interested to see if we can move to Australia on the new temp visa while still in the queue for our CPV.

I’m thinking they will delay the 143 applicants longer so out of desperation we will apply and PAY more money for the new temporary one!! I’m sure I read you can do this new visa whilst in the queue.

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

I’m thinking they will delay the 143 applicants longer so out of desperation we will apply and PAY more money for the new temporary one!! I’m sure I read you can do this new visa whilst in the queue.

Yes, this is now something we are seriously considering. I know your circumstances are different, but we would not be comfortable chancing it on a 600. We have dogs and I would not like to put them through a return trip after 12 months (not sure if we can even take dogs on a 600 visa).

We are also now looking to buy a house in Australia as soon as possible and if this happens, we have a fixed base and could live relatively cheaply. So even if we never get our 143, at least we could enjoy a long holiday and early retirement.

My only concern with the new temp visa is if we can get one while still remaining in the queue for the CPV. It does say the temp visa is not a pathway to PR, but we won’t know until they release more details.

The new visa is delayed due to a bill passing through parliament. I’ve not been able to find out when the next reading date is. Have you heard any news on this?

I also think the take up for these new visas will be high, due to not having the balance of family test. So only 15,000 places per year may create another queue and we need to be ready to act quickly and get our applications near the top of the pile.

With this new visa we need to get our assurers AoS approved before making the application. Any inkling as to what the AoS needs? What documentation can we prepare now? I think our son needs to get a letter from the tax office to show his earnings for the last two years. I wonder how long this takes and if this is something he can do online?

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 1

Not meaning  to cause offence to anybody as we are ALL in the same boat But.....This has been handled so very badly by the govt, it can only lead to a stampede for whatever various other options people can find, arguments about queue jumping  and then  ending up with the same “queue” situation on different visas and probably the govt then putting stricter criteria on whether two visas can be held concurrently. Only my thoughts but given the underhanded and fast way some things have been introduced over the years Im not holding my breath thinking that couldn’t possibly happen!!  

Realistically Australia only wants young highly skilled immigrants - partly to take care of their own ageing population. 

Won’t let  me edit previous post - I meant govt putting stricter criteria on being intwo visa “queues” concurrently.  

Another thought - imagine if most of  46000 etc applicants applied - after all it’s a cheaper option than 143  and is also open to more parents as there’s no balance of family test  - how  hard  would Australia have to be to deport  elderly medically unfit to fly temp visa holders - it would  certainly hold things up and put a spanner in the works.  At 15000 places a year and would be applicants dramatically increasing  it would still be years before you got the temp visa! 

Edited by LindaH27

34 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Not meaning  to cause offence to anybody as we are ALL in the same boat But.....This has been handled so very badly by the govt, it can only lead to a stampede for whatever various other options people can find, arguments about queue jumping  and then  ending up with the same “queue” situation on different visas and probably the govt then putting stricter criteria on whether two visas can be held concurrently. Only my thoughts but given the underhanded and fast way some things have been introduced over the years Im not holding my breath thinking that couldn’t possibly happen!!  

Realistically Australia only wants young highly skilled immigrants - partly to take care of their own ageing population. 

No, I’m not talking about queue jumping, just applying quickly for the new visa to avoid another lengthy wait. The new visa has an allocation of 15,000 places per year, so applying in the first few days should give a fair chance of being processed in the first batch.

This is a completely separate visa so does not impinge on CPV places and will not have any consequences for how quickly anyone’s CPV is processed.

Also this is only a temporary visa and you need private medical insurance. It’s set to be tax positive with no cost to the Australian taxpayer, just lots of revenue.

However I do wonder what going to happen at Centrelink when they suddenly get thousands of new AoS requests.  

• Like 1

I believe there are very large numbers who have already added their names to waitlists at migration agents to be notified  as soon as announcement is made - and have probably already been given their agents “take” on what they think will be required to complete the application.  

In the last few years India and China have made a huge amount of applications, far more than UK so yes you will need to be very quick off the mark with your application. 

Actually calling it a temporary visa for 10 years with private health insurance sounds very much like the 405/410 which have now been discontinued leaving people to scramble for other visas if they wish for PR.

i probably sound very negative but that’s what happens when you see what govt have done in only the last two-three years!

Would  be much fairer to allocate 143  visa places as a percentage rate per country then everybody gets a look in. UK and other countries may eventually be given the newish 10 year multi entry visa with visits valid only for 3 months but a quick trip offshore should do the trick to meet that condition! At the moment it’s only available to China  

Also your comment about centrelink -  I believe the sponsor  has to be checked and granted before you can apply so that’s also a delay. I hope you get lucky I really do but I’m not sure I will take the chance! 

They are looking at reducing visas to only 10 instead of 99 and contracting out the processing. I note there will also be provision  for “premium services” - in other words you will probably be able to pay even more to get your visa earlier - maybe even less than the $15000 for the temp visa??

17 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I believe there are very large numbers who have already added their names to waitlists at migration agents to be notified  as soon as announcement is made - and have probably already been given their agents “take” on what they think will be required to complete the application.  

In the last few years India and China have made a huge amount of applications, far more than UK so yes you will need to be very quick off the mark with your application.

Wow! I never really considered there would be so many Indian and Chinese parents waiting like coiled springs. Looks like I will have to get organised to stand any chance of getting one of these new visas.

Has anyone recently made an AoS application using the new online system? Do you just scan/photo suporting documents?

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Wow! I never really considered there would be so many Indian and Chinese parents waiting like coiled springs. Looks like I will have to get organised to stand any chance of getting one of these new visas.

Has anyone recently made an AoS application using the new online system? Do you just scan/photo suporting documents?

Our son applied for Aos online on 9 may. Submitted all documents online using his my gov account so I suppose he scanned pay slips and whatever else was needed. I think past tax returns are already linked but not sure. He has not been to a centrelink office. They gave him 20 June as an expected date but as yet we have heard nothing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Actually calling it a temporary visa for 10 years with private health insurance sounds very much like the 405/410 which have now been discontinued leaving people to scramble for other visas if they wish for PR.

To put this statement right. There was never a pathway to PR from either the 410/405 visas, so there is no new scramble for other visas for PR visas for those of us on these 2 visas, as we can legally renew our visas and continue to live here on our long term temporary visa.The 410 was discontinued in 2005, but those of us already here on the 410 visa have had no problem renewing our visas to stay in the country since 2005,  and the 405 discontinued in the last budget.They have always been temporary visas, the only difference now is that the government has in the last budget announced a pathway to PR which some will apply for.

8 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

No, I’m not talking about queue jumping, just applying quickly for the new visa to avoid another lengthy wait. The new visa has an allocation of 15,000 places per year, so applying in the first few days should give a fair chance of being processed in the first batch.

This is a completely separate visa so does not impinge on CPV places and will not have any consequences for how quickly anyone’s CPV is processed.

Also this is only a temporary visa and you need private medical insurance. It’s set to be tax positive with no cost to the Australian taxpayer, just lots of revenue.

However I do wonder what going to happen at Centrelink when they suddenly get thousands of new AoS requests.  

Where is an AoS referenced in the context of the anticipated new temporary parent visa?

Best regards.

• Like 2

Thanks Alan Linda SusieRoo .... all this info has been an eye opener for us. Looks like it will be 6 to 7 years of wait for us!

Do we know the queue status for 864 (i.e. On shore visa) ? There's no processing time info on immi website.

My parents have a valid tourist visa till end of December 2019 and can't apply onshore till that time. Is it worth considering applying for onshore visa in 2020 first quarter? I know things might change by that time... but any advice based on current situation would be helpful and at least we can prepare for it. 

• Like 3