Guest guest36187

Well they aren't being charged any tax at the source at the moment. Hopefully their 173 will be through before June 30 and they can have a TFN and do a regular tax return at that point to sort it out. They were advised they couldn't get a TFN whilst on a tourist visa.

Where are they living presently?

Are they tax resident in the UK, or in Australia?

If they are tax resident in Australia they can - and I believe should - obtain a TFN, as they have Australian source income that is properly taxable in Australia. This would probably be via a paper based application for the TFN:

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/Individuals-%28Australian-residents-for-tax-purposes%29/

Best regards.

Where are they living presently?

Are they tax resident in the UK, or in Australia?

If they are tax resident in Australia they can - and I believe should - obtain a TFN, as they have Australian source income that is properly taxable in Australia. This would probably be via a paper based application for the TFN:

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/Individuals-%28Australian-residents-for-tax-purposes%29/

Best regards.

Currently 'living' in a caravan touring Australia, they don't have a residence in England any more.

Thanks for that, I'll forward the link to them.

When I called the tax office in Australia they wouldn't let us have a TFN even though our 143 had been granted. They said we had to be actually living there and not just giving them our daughters address.

We have tax witheld on our savings but we just give our uk accountant all the bank statements and he sorts it out.

Cheers, Val

Try the Westpac reward saver, I think it pays 3.91%, but you have to set up a standing order for 50$ per month.

Does anyone who is as yet non resident have a savings account in Australia?

Now the exchange rate is so much better I would really like to move some cash to our non resident bank account in Sydney, against (eventual) visa payments. This is unlikely to be for some years because we have commitments in the UK at the mo, but I would really like to feel we had the money 'on one side' and could forget about it for now.

Problem is our e-saver account pays only 1 percent interest, which is okay for holiday money but not okay for larger sums. Any suggestions?

Bumping this up! Where are all our `parents`????

We applied onshore for an offshore CPV in May 2012 it was granted in October 2013 5 years to the day of our first setting foot in Australia. A very painless experience except the money of course but were glad to be legally here now. Will go for citizenship next year.

Good luck everyone. Sooty

Does anyone who is as yet non resident have a savings account in Australia?

Now the exchange rate is so much better I would really like to move some cash to our non resident bank account in Sydney, against (eventual) visa payments. This is unlikely to be for some years because we have commitments in the UK at the mo, but I would really like to feel we had the money 'on one side' and could forget about it for now.

Problem is our e-saver account pays only 1 percent interest, which is okay for holiday money but not okay for larger sums. Any suggestions?

You could also try BankWest (actually part or subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank) – their Telenet Saver gives a bit over 4% gross, but again you have to make regular in payments every month. But they can be small, and can if necessary then be withdrawn again! So you could perhaps get your offspring to transfer say $100 by standing order, and then make a repayment shortly after.

Mike

Guest Phalarope83

Hi there, We are very new to this and our application went in December 2013 through an agent and we received an acknowledgement in Jan 2014 that our first payment had been taken! Looking at your post gave me much more heart (and hope) that our will also be painless in the process if not in the money! Are there any restrictions on citizenship and what advantages does it give you. I'm sorry if this is covered before but there are so many post to wade through to find the information that is needed. Pity there is no search engine!

Where are you settling and how is the house hunting progressing?

Good luck on your endeavours

Guest Phalarope83

Hi there, We are very new to this and our application went in December 2013 through an agent and we received an acknowledgement in Jan 2014 that our first payment had been taken! Looking at your post gave me much more heart (and hope) that our will also be painless in the process if not in the money! Are there any restrictions on citizenship and what advantages does it give you. I'm sorry if this is covered before but there are so many post to wade through to find the information that is needed. Pity there is no search engine!

Where are you settling and how is the house hunting progressing?

Good luck on your endeavours

Hi Phalarope83

We have been here in Oz for 5 years now and are just at the end of a house build in Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsular in Victoria, the property market has not done much at all in this time. Citizenship can be applied for after being in Oz for 4 years one of which as a permanent resident. It just means that you will not have to renew your residents return visa every 5 years which means your CPV it is about $150 not a lot I know, but citizenship gives us an Aussie passport ie dual citizenship so even if we leave the country for say 5 years we can always just come back it keeps our options open if you like and makes us completely safe. Saying that we have made friends who came here as $10 poms 40 years ago and they have not bothered with citizenship even though the husband was leaving the country on business and his visa would run out before he returned so it caused him to miss his flight while he sorted it out. So once a citizen you can forget about it. Both of our daughters and husbands have now got citizenship and of course their children born here are automatically citizens they will also be able to get UK passports if they want to do gap years in the UK etc when they grow up, citizenship here is just a few multiple choice questions then a quick service. I will really feel that I belong here then, although we personally would never go back to the UK to live. We return each year to visit family and friends that is the hard part but could not contemplate living there again, if you try to be friendly with neighbours etc I'm sure you will soon make friends. We have found everyone very friendly.

We are not sunworshipers but who would want the UK weather at the moment, we now know where the phrase "sunny disposition" comes from we find in general that people are happier here.

Good luck. Sooty

Wow that sounds interesting,the house build I mean !!! Are the building regulations pretty straight forward or how does it compare ?

What would the cost be compared to buying a new build not the actual price but is it cheaper to build your own house compared to buying one, like for like?

Sorry for all the questions, just I'd had that thought of building a house in my head all day !!!!

hope you can help and we'll done will you be putting pics on here?

Thanks Tab

Wow that sounds interesting,the house build I mean !!! Are the building regulations pretty straight forward or how does it compare ?

What would the cost be compared to buying a new build not the actual price but is it cheaper to build your own house compared to buying one, like for like?

Sorry for all the questions, just I'd had that thought of building a house in my head all day !!!!

hope you can help and we'll done will you be putting pics on here?

Thanks Tab

Building a house is relatively cheap......it is the land which is expensive over here

There are lots of display home sites here in Victoria, it depends where you live really but if you can find a display home style you like the prices are pretty good for what you get and very big compared to UK houses you can also customise them. Google Metricon homes or Henley Homes for an idea lots of choice just depends what you want really. We have not gone that route but built a one off to our own design, on our own block a very hard and complicated route not cheaper but we have got exactly what we want.

good luck Sooty

Hi All,

Can anyone explain AOS process in detail . How long it take from start to finish . To me it seems very long and slow process . We have done with our medical on 31/12/2013 and department have received our police check on 14/01/2014 . We got our case officer on 18/12/2013 and still struggling to get through AOS process. Our date of application was 29/06/2012 and date of acknowledge was 13/08/2012. Hope somebody will explain AOS process for CPV 143. Thanks in advance.

boss2468

Alan, this might be more of a question for you...

If there is a breakdown in the relationship between the sponsor and the parents before the visa is granted - I assume the sponsor could withdraw their sponsorship of said parents and visa would be denied? Is there any reason the sponsor would be contacted prior to visa grant for the 173?

Alan, this might be more of a question for you...

If there is a breakdown in the relationship between the sponsor and the parents before the visa is granted - I assume the sponsor could withdraw their sponsorship of said parents and visa would be denied? Is there any reason the sponsor would be contacted prior to visa grant for the 173?

Hmmm ... not sure to be honest. It is a looser commitment than that which exists between visa applicant and Assurer, but I would encourage attempts at a reconciliation before irrevocable decisions about withdrawing the sponsorship are made!

Best regards.

Hmmm ... not sure to be honest. It is a looser commitment than that which exists between visa applicant and Assurer, but I would encourage attempts at a reconciliation before irrevocable decisions about withdrawing the sponsorship are made!

Best regards.

That would be the ideal solution! However I think it's quite unlikely at the moment.... I don't think he'd do anything to go out of his way to damage the process but if contacted specifically for something... he might.

Safe to say that I will be the sponsor/assurer if we get to the point of the 143!

Hi genie 1

We were already here in Oz and pre loaded our American Express Card and earned enough Singapore Airlines points for 1 return ticket to the UK which worked very well for us but if you are off shore you might be able to do the same with a credit card, there was no surcharge.

I think we had about 28 days to pay.

Good luck

Sooty

How to pay the 2nd vac for 173 parent visa? Hopefully we should receive request from CO to pay very soon.

Just not sure of the best method for payment and which one would save us the most money ? Want to be prepared. Any info appreciated please :)

Paent

Your credit card company may not give you the best exchange rate. We transferred the money to our daughter's account in Oz using HiFx to get a better rate. She then arranged a bank draft from her bank which she sent with a covering letter to the parent visa centre. We informed them that this was what was happening. Not sure how the rate would work out now if you paid via the Australian High Commission in London, although I suspect the rate is not as good as it is presently is.

Quick update...Might be useful for other sufferers of vicious visa syndrome! Today received request for payment of 2nd VAC!

Decided to use Moneycorp to transfer funds to my Oz account.....bank cheque....daughter collect....courier to immi. Seems the quickest/cheapest way (I hope).

Booked move cube with Seven Sea's and sold my car.

Tomorrow will hand in notice at work. Hope it all falls into place and we get visa within the next few weeks. If not.........PANIC!!