Guest guest36187

Today is a bit of a special day for us since it is the first anniversary of our arrival in Australia on our 143 visa. So what has this year been like for us? It's fair to say that there have been a few ups and downs but by far more ups I'm pleased to say. I have found it more difficult than Tony, the first few weeks were quite hard for me, I felt so out of my comfort zone. It quickly became clear that we could not possibly buy our own home and the thought of renting for the rest of our days has been hard to come to terms with, particularly as it is so expensive. The cost of living is high but we no longer convert prices to pounds, there is absolutely no point, it's dollars in our bank account after all. It is wonderful to be so close to our children, although having said that, one daughter and her family have relocated to Broome. Nothing daunted, we bought a camper and hit the road north and had 5 weeks away seeing the sights and spending time with our family, doing 6000 kms in the process. What a wonderful way to see Australia. Today we have come back from a trip south to Esperance, Albany and Bridgetown. We have met so many people whilst camping who have spent years on the road that it is very tempting to do the same. Amongst the pluses of being here is the first class medical care we have received, no waiting to see our GP and always the same one, he's a bit keen on blood tests though but that seems to be the same with all GPs here. This compares to our poor daughter we left behind in the UK, she is so poorly yet has barely been able to see the same doctor twice. Each one says something different and she has had to beg to be referred. Guess who her employer is, yep, the good ole NHS.

I have to say a big thank you to the PIPs (Parents in Perth) who have been very supportive. All in all, it's been a big year and a big move but one we don't regret.

Cath & Tony

Really great to read your post and that on the whole you've had a good first year! It made me feel quite envious as all we want to do is be with our family (both children and 5 grandchildren are settled in Oz) and wish we could fast forward to next summer (our ack date is 10th June 2011) applied for a 173 Visa. We did spend six months in Oz last year and loved it - we also did camping, but up and down the East Coast, we were based near Brisbane, and also found everyone to be extremely helpfull and friendly, and a great way to see more of the country - as opposed to flying to destinations!

We're planning on putting our house on the market early next year, and hope it sells without too much delay - fingers crossed. Do you or anyone know if we will then be able to get a visitor visa so that we can "wait" for our 173 Visa in Oz (I know we have to be off-shore) when/if its granted - presumably NZ or Singapore or somewhere is acceptable. And can we have our Meds done while on holiday in Oz? Perhaps someone might read this and offer advice? I just don't think I can wait another 9/10 months (at least) before seeing the family - which will be 18 months altogether before I see the grandkids again - they grow up so fast!

Wishing you all the best for your 2nd year and hope its even better than the first!

Val

Hi

It's been a while since I was here so much going on :swoon:

My family and health issues have still been going on (more consultants to see until they get to the bottom of the problem) :arghh:

Sadly my family problems are no longer an issue, my sister passed away on Monday after a short battle with cancer :cry: that's the third sister I have lost in the past 4 years......it makes you think :yes:

On a lighter note I have managed to open Oz and UKForex accounts and made my first 'deal' (thanks to those of you who pointed me in that direction and I mentioned I had got the info from the 'very helpful people on this forum' they seemed very :jiggy:. It was very straight forward and the people I have spoken to there have been so helpful. I got a decent 1.587 AUD exchange too :biggrin: as I said before if we don't get to Oz we can always use it for holidays and such :cute:

We havn't had much chance to talk about re applying as yet with everything that's been going on so we havn't ruled it out either :wink:

Well that's me up to date :biglaugh:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

Been thinking of you these past few weeks and I am so sorry to hear your sad news.

We are off to Brisbane next week to A) validate and B) babysit for 6 weeks!

Hope you all have a good Christmas (despite everything).

Best wishes, Val xx

Do you or anyone know if we will then be able to get a visitor visa so that we can "wait" for our 173 Visa in Oz (I know we have to be off-shore) when/if its granted - presumably NZ or Singapore or somewhere is acceptable. And can we have our Meds done while on holiday in Oz? Perhaps someone might read this and offer advice? I just don't think I can wait another 9/10 months (at least) before seeing the family - which will be 18 months altogether before I see the grandkids again - they grow up so fast!

Val

G'day Val

Nothing to stop you getting a visitor visa and going to Oz – just make sure the PVC in Perth know about it. We did so, although we got back to the UK before we got a CO. But I was told once by a CO that it quite often happens that, when the time for grant of the visa comes, they contact the applicant(s) and arrange for the visa to be granted while they are on a trip to Singapore/NZ/whatever, as you say. Then you get almost instant validation, when you return to Oz.

As for the meds, I'm pretty sure that's OK too – but you had better check. I think you have to go to one of the official centres, though, rather than to a 'panel doctor'.

Mike

G'day Val

Nothing to stop you getting a visitor visa and going to Oz – just make sure the PVC in Perth know about it. We did so, although we got back to the UK before we got a CO. But I was told once by a CO that it quite often happens that, when the time for grant of the visa comes, they contact the applicant(s) and arrange for the visa to be granted while they are on a trip to Singapore/NZ/whatever, as you say. Then you get almost instant validation, when you return to Oz.

As for the meds, I'm pretty sure that's OK too – but you had better check. I think you have to go to one of the official centres, though, rather than to a 'panel doctor'.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. That's so good to know. Just to confirm - there wouldn't be a problem getting a one-way ticket on a visitor visa then? So long as we kept PVC informed of our intentions?

Sorry if this is "dumb", but what do you mean by an "official centre" exactly? :confused:

Did you do this, inasmuchas you visited Oz during the "waiting period", except you came back to the UK? Now you have your visa, you are going back to Oz in time for Xmas - one way ticket this time?

I only think we will do this if we sell the house quite quickly, the furniture will be on its way, not much point in staying here (Plan A - heart rules):biggrin:

If there's a delay, then we'll wait until Visa grant/house sold then go as normal (plan B - head rules) :laugh:

Val x

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. That's so good to know. Just to confirm - there wouldn't be a problem getting a one-way ticket on a visitor visa then? So long as we kept PVC informed of our intentions?

Sorry if this is "dumb", but what do you mean by an "official centre" exactly? :confused:

Did you do this, inasmuchas you visited Oz during the "waiting period", except you came back to the UK? Now you have your visa, you are going back to Oz in time for Xmas - one way ticket this time?

I only think we will do this if we sell the house quite quickly, the furniture will be on its way, not much point in staying here (Plan A - heart rules):biggrin:

If there's a delay, then we'll wait until Visa grant/house sold then go as normal (plan B - head rules) :laugh:

Val x

Hmmm… not sure about the one-way ticket; the immigration officer in Oz might be a bit sniffy about that if you're on a tourist visa.

We have always gone on return tickets – and will do so again in a few days, as we still have to sell up and ship out from here (London). We'll have about three months in Sydney, then back and hope to sell our flat…

Regarding the 'official centres', I know DIAC have places where immigration medicals are conducted within Australia, but I can't find the link to the "Health Operations Centre" now – I get a message that the page no longer exists. I suggest you send an email to the Parent Visa Centre asking about that, or do a bit more web searching.

Good luck, Mike

Val x

I don't think you will be able to ship your furniture until you actually have a visa so it will probably mean putting it all into storage, a small sacrifice compared to the bigger picture! Good luck with the house sale. We were certainly agreeably surprised when ours went under offer 10 days after we listed it last year. There are still buyers around and I hope you will be equally fortunate.

Agree about the camping, we have met some wonderful people on our brief travels and mostly very friendly and helpful. Just as well really as our reversing a van does not improve with practice! It's nice to know that we give so many people a good laugh over their late afternoon drinkies.

Hallo out there

I havent been online for a while so it was nice to see the messages and hear how people are getting along.

I am going to Melbourne in 11days, I will be over there for 2mths. I have never been over for christmas before and I have been invited to the kindergarten christmas party.

I have opened a bank account with ANZ and will verify it when I am out there. If I put the visa payment in an australian bank account, is it easy to pay the Immigration dept from that account (I will be in UK)? maybe a cheque of move it over online? I would be interested to know. Although I dont expect a CO until next August.

My best wishes to everybody

Moira

Hallo out there

I havent been online for a while so it was nice to see the messages and hear how people are getting along.

I am going to Melbourne in 11days, I will be over there for 2mths. I have never been over for christmas before and I have been invited to the kindergarten christmas party.

I have opened a bank account with ANZ and will verify it when I am out there. If I put the visa payment in an australian bank account, is it easy to pay the Immigration dept from that account (I will be in UK)? maybe a cheque of move it over online? I would be interested to know. Although I dont expect a CO until next August.

Moira

I have just received the info from Westpac bank, you can open an account here in the UK and your bank in the UK can be your certifier so there is no need to go to oz to verify the account, you can deposit and make withdrawals online . You have to take your passport and photo driving licence for proof of identity to your uk bank and complete the necessary forms for westpac. Like you i hope to place the visa payment into the account over there. I hope to get a CO next june time , 24 weeks sounds so much better than 6mths. Enjoy xmas in the sun, i loved it. Ann

Hallo out there

Moira

We deposited our Visa money into Westpac and when we got close tohaving to pay, we transferred it to our Daughter's Westpac account and once the whole amount was done, she drew the bank cheque for Immigration and sent it with the case file number. It all went through really easily. Just note, there is usually a daily limit (ours was $10000) for transferring funds to another person so allow enough days to transfer to whole amount. Gill

We deposited our Visa money into Westpac and when we got close tohaving to pay, we transferred it to our Daughter's Westpac account and once the whole amount was done, she drew the bank cheque for Immigration and sent it with the case file number. It all went through really easily. Just note, there is usually a daily limit (ours was $10000) for transferring funds to another person so allow enough days to transfer to whole amount. Gill

Thanks Gill, my agent has a system to help you pay the final vac through their client bank account, i then transfer the money from the westpac bank into their account which is why i needed to validate before going to OZ. My agent if very reputable and often gives sound advice on here so i am happy to pay in this way. Also i will be able to transfer money via Hifx to Westpac online, other banks such as NAB wouldn't allow that until i had validated in oz. Phoned and spoke to a nice chappy on Wednesday and the forms arrived Thurdsay so well pleased with efficiency so far. He did mention only $10000 could be withdrawn daily but also mentioned a B payment will have to ask again what that is as i forgot to write it down while he was explaining. So shall be busy doing that today........feel like i am doing something possitive for my move, hopefully only 6mths until i get a CO or 24wks as it sounds better, ha. Ann

We had our medicals done last July 2011 although we do not expect to be appointed a CO until Feb/March 2012. Is this permissible?

Are you expected to wait until you get a CO before arranging your medical?

I realize that we will have to validate the visas before July 2012, but that's OK.

We're also planning to get our Police Checks done soon, so that all is ready and waiting when we get our CO.

When I asked parents.immi this question by email, they said we should do nothing until getting a CO and any "frontloading" would be ignored. Is this correct? Has anyone jumped the gun as we have done? Was it OK to do so?

From its tone, the email did seem to be a standard response.

Thanks.

John & Eirian

WE submitted in January 2011 for 143 and before returning to UK in May had our medicals done in Melbourne,it was cheaper and easier for us to do so but with some detail requested on me from UK doctor it took until August for my medical to come through.So OH has a May medical and mine is August with 12 months validity.Posted into DIAC but think they can access electronically anyway.Had our Oz police checks done May 11 and UK done June 11 so if/when we get CO hopefully about Feb 2012 we only need AOS.

That was the plan with us,just hoping it all works--even have our destination as NZ with stopover in Melbourne hoping to get new visa validated there.Now looking to alter dates as we optimistically booked January 2012 but can change--heading back to UK anyway to sort out things and avoid Melbourne winter--Emirates fares to NZ not much dearer than to Oz with stopover in Oz each way.

Hope medicals police checks are valid 12 months--can anyone confirm??

WE submitted in January 2011 for 143 and before returning to UK in May had our medicals done in Melbourne,it was cheaper and easier for us to do so but with some detail requested on me from UK doctor it took until August for my medical to come through.So OH has a May medical and mine is August with 12 months validity.Posted into DIAC but think they can access electronically anyway.Had our Oz police checks done May 11 and UK done June 11 so if/when we get CO hopefully about Feb 2012 we only need AOS.

That was the plan with us,just hoping it all works--even have our destination as NZ with stopover in Melbourne hoping to get new visa validated there.Now looking to alter dates as we optimistically booked January 2012 but can change--heading back to UK anyway to sort out things and avoid Melbourne winter--Emirates fares to NZ not much dearer than to Oz with stopover in Oz each way.

Thanks, Mac.. useful info.

Yes, both medicals and police checks have a 12 month life. Visas must be validated within this time.

John & Eirian

Guest chicklet

I am known on the tracker as lesley and I have tried to update my details but it keeps saying my password is incorrect.As I have now got my CO as from the 1st December 2011 I would like it to be updated. So perhaps if Sandch reads this he will be able to do the necessary.Thanking you

I am known on the tracker as lesley and I have tried to update my details but it keeps saying my password is incorrect.As I have now got my CO as from the 1st December 2011 I would like it to be updated. So perhaps if Sandch reads this he will be able to do the necessary.Thanking you

Well Done

Phoebe

Guest chicklet

Thank you Phoebe for your message and I was sorry to hear that you had to withdraw your application for your visas. I just hope that times will change for you and you can re-apply in the future. I do not often put messages on here but I do read other peoples comments and thoughts.

As you can imagine I am now getting busy and once I hopefully get my visa I will be able to sell my property.

It is nearly 2 years now since I saw my daughter when I visited Australia so I am really looking foreward to seeing her and my son-in-law again.

Anyway all the best for the future and also for those still waiting for a CO as seeing I have waited 14 months I can fully appreciate what you are going through.

. Also i will be able to transfer money via Hifx to Westpac online, other banks such as NAB wouldn't allow that until i had validated in oz. Ann

Hi Ann,

Sorry to contradict you about NAB, but you can transfer money to them before you arrive to validate the account.

I opened a NAB account online and then used Ozforex to transfer AUD into it for our holiday this time.

There were no problems at all, once I had the account numbers, I entered them as the beneficiary from Ozforex and hey presto, money to spend when we arrived.

It has actually been a godsend having aussie currency to draw directly on, they even gave us a visa card so we can buy online etc.

You sound very organised with Westpac, but I just wanted to say NAB are good too!

Must be 23 weeks now??????? ha ha Counting in weeks is much better isn't it? Our holiday is 10 weeks long, sadly we're over half way now, maybe I should go back to counting in months and say it's still another month here!!!!

Cheers Pam

Hi Ann,

Sorry to contradict you about NAB, but you can transfer money to them before you arrive to validate the account.

I opened a NAB account online and then used Ozforex to transfer AUD into it for our holiday this time.

There were no problems at all, once I had the account numbers, I entered them as the beneficiary from Ozforex and hey presto, money to spend when we arrived.

It has actually been a godsend having aussie currency to draw directly on, they even gave us a visa card so we can buy online etc.

You sound very organised with Westpac, but I just wanted to say NAB are good too!

Must be 23 weeks now??????? ha ha Counting in weeks is much better isn't it? Our holiday is 10 weeks long, sadly we're over half way now, maybe I should go back to counting in months and say it's still another month here!!!!

Cheers Pam

Nab are a very good bank and i had no trouble whar so ever opening the account, i missed the bit of info that you can't do online banking until the account had been validated in oz plus you can make deposits but can't withdraw until tha account has been validated in oz this was no good for me paying my visa with my agent. Westpac can validate the account here in the UK as your bank here in the UK can be your certifier, you take along passport and photo driving licence ( must show home address, or household bill ) once they have opened the account you are free to transfer money into the Australian account online plus i can also make withdrawals. Unfortunately I won't be going back to Perth until i finally move so can't validate the NAB account. I hope to get all that done this week then make my first transfer with HIFX online and see how easy it is. I have been with my bank here in the uk for over 30yrs so all this is very new to me, my brother-in-law has been helping me which has been such a help as i don't have a partner to bounce idea's off........ everything to do with migrating just isn't easy so much to think about over here aswell as over there,,,,,,, still counting the weeks though and keeping a beady eye on the tracker:biggrin: Ann

Yes, the medicals and police checks are valid for 12 months. The only problem is that you are usually given a date by which to validate your visa and this is normally 12 months from the date of medicals or police checks whichever is sooner. If you are intending to travel to Oz soon after you get your visa this would not be a problem but might be if you did not want to go straight away.

Sorry, I have just seen that someone has already answered your query. I am just catching up with the thread after returning to Oz having spent 3 weeks in the UK as my father died and we had to return to arrange a funeral and sort everything out. Found it qute cold and grey, although the Chrismassy atmosphere was nice, which you don't get here.

• Like 1

Could anyone please give me some information regarding the way we pay for the 2nd fee?

It seems that we can make that payment by using online/ internet transfer? so that means it just take 2 days for DIAC to receive it? I am living in Oz and will pay that from my bank account, so it would not be a problem? (I thought that I had to use cheque or something like that and I am a little bit worry that it may go somewhere!)

Thank you.

Thank you for the replies to my post. Ann you are right , when the time is said in weeks it does seem less ( I am a month behind you). I have decided to have my medicals and police checks in March, as I hope to move over towards the end of the year. If its taking 14mths for a CO that means I should get one about September, but I shall watch your space.

Gill thank you for saying about putting the money in your daughters account to pay the visa, that sounds very simple, so I will think about that, and to be aware of the daily limit.

Like Ann I am on my own, so I find this forum very useful.

Best wishes

Moira

Guest sirmatt101
Nab are a very good bank and i had no trouble whar so ever opening the account, i missed the bit of info that you can't do online banking until the account had been validated in oz plus you can make deposits but can't withdraw until tha account has been validated in oz this was no good for me paying my visa with my agent. Westpac can validate the account here in the UK as your bank here in the UK can be your certifier, you take along passport and photo driving licence ( must show home address, or household bill ) once they have opened the account you are free to transfer money into the Australian account online plus i can also make withdrawals. Unfortunately I won't be going back to Perth until i finally move so can't validate the NAB account. I hope to get all that done this week then make my first transfer with HIFX online and see how easy it is. I have been with my bank here in the uk for over 30yrs so all this is very new to me, my brother-in-law has been helping me which has been such a help as i don't have a partner to bounce idea's off........ everything to do with migrating just isn't easy so much to think about over here aswell as over there,,,,,,, still counting the weeks though and keeping a beady eye on the tracker:biggrin: Ann

On the subject of Oz banks, we joined the Commonwealth Bank whilst in the UK using their branch in London. We opened a London Transfer account to pay in the large amounts (they give a different rate) and they opened an account for us in Brisbane. I then opened internet banking by telephone from the UK with an 0800 number they gave, only took about 5 minutes to set up. When the AOS was due transferred that direct to my sons account even though the Oz account wasn't validated, using the London contact, all very easy. It made it so much easier having a contact in the UK to phone if needed. Just had to visit the Brisbane branch on arrival to pick up visa cards etc.

Cheers Matt :biggrin:

Hi, Could anyone be kind enough to confirm whetehr i have the process for AOS correct. As it has been 5 weeks since the Assure made his application with centrelink.

1. Assurer completed application at centrelink

2. Centrelink forward the application to DIAC

3. If applicant is succesful DIAC will send a letter requesting the applicant to open bank account with Commonwealth bank.

4. Letter from DIAC is required to open the account. Bond is to be deposited.

If these steps are correct, who then notifies DIAC of the account being opened inorder for DIAC to advise of fisrt VAC payment to be made?

My concern is that i have this process confused. As the AoS applicant made an application with centrelink 28.10.2011 and to date we have not received the said letter confirming acceptenace and details to open the bank account.

Is it normal to wait 5 weeks or more?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the "AOS date" on the tracker the date the application was made by the Assurer, or the date the Assurer received acknowledgement of being an accepatable applicant as Assurer?