Guest guest36187

Guest chameleon
G'day!

Where is everybody? Does no one have any news or problems to share? Perhaps the economic crisis has knocked everyone unconscious?!

We are off to Oz a week today, and will validate our 173s on entry. Forms already filled in to upgrade to 143s – just signatures of sponsor-daughter to be added, and we'll be on the way to spending another $32k. (You have to either laugh or cry, but having got this far…) Now all we need is for George Osborne to freeze pensions next week…

We hope everyone has a Happy (hot) Chrissie.

Hi Mike and Sue

I also have applied for a 173 can you upgrade to 143 without having moved to Oz as long as you have validated. Also is that $32k including AOS?

Cham

G'day!

Where is everybody?

Hello Mike

Where are we? In the Hunter Valley, giving our daughter in Sydney a break from us!!!

We have been in Aus for 5 weeks almost and sadly, the only thing we have realised is that our other daughter in UK would not be able to afford to live here.

So I guess we are set for the travels between here and UK for the foreseeable future. Still, on the bright side, we won't have to go through the visa process!? We do both love the life out here and it's not just the weather, as that has been dire for the last week!

There are just so many parks around for the children and safe places to walk/run for the older generations. Love it!

Do you think the Aussies in general appreciate all these things? Small in the grand scheme of things, but so nice...

Anyway that's where I am. As to where everyone else is, we will have to wait and see!

Cheers Pam

Arrived in Cairns a week ago but we will be moving down to Brisbane early next year and looking for a place to buy. Don't know what part of Brisbane yet as the son and his family have still to find a place first then we will look for something for us in the same area.

Got a bit of a shock in a email from our removal company informing us our belongings are expected to arrive in Brisbane on the 31st December, a few weeks earlier than we expected and no way will we have any accommodation by then so we may have to look at putting our things into storage for a while.

Also can't decide whether to transfer the money across from our UK house sale or leave it in the UK until we find something to buy over here.

David & Sheila

Arrived in Cairns a week ago but we will be moving down to Brisbane early next year and looking for a place to buy. Don't know what part of Brisbane yet as the son and his family have still to find a place first then we will look for something for us in the same area.

Got a bit of a shock in a email from our removal company informing us our belongings are expected to arrive in Brisbane on the 31st December, a few weeks earlier than we expected and no way will we have any accommodation by then so we may have to look at putting our things into storage for a while.

Also can't decide whether to transfer the money across from our UK house sale or leave it in the UK until we find something to buy over here.

David & Sheila

Glad everything is going (almost) according to plan. Do a bit of research with a few banks and open a savings account giving the best interest rate and arrange for your funds to be transferred over. We`re getting 6.5% at ANZ which is amazing when you compare it to what you`d get in the UK.

Hope it all continues to go well for you!

Val

We are planning to sell up over her and migrate next year. I will still have some income coming in from the existing business over here. Is it best to pay UK taxes and OZ taxes or deal with it all in OZ ?

We are planning to sell up over her and migrate next year. I will still have some income coming in from the existing business over here. Is it best to pay UK taxes and OZ taxes or deal with it all in OZ ?

I will preface my reply with the fact that I am not a tax expert.....but from our experience we have had to complete tax returns for both HMRC and Australian Tax where you have income that is untaxed from the UK you have to declare it on the form to the ATO and are then taxed, when it is on an investment, if you have made a profit in the UK, even if you have not realised that profit you have to pay the tax over here. If you have paid tax on it in the UK you deduct that amount of tax clearly on your ATO form and it is taken into account.

We were advised to sell any assets, for example we had a small piece of land...because if you want to avoid paying IHT once in Australia you have to be able to prove you have cut all links with the UK....even to the extent of not taking out any subscriptions etc. ....then after 5 years, writing of an Australian will, becoming Australian citizens etc....you have to hope that the UK recognises that fact and allows you to escape their tax system.

Julie

No tax expert either but told by the UK tax authorities that no way could my Teachers or NHS pensions be paid without deduction of UK tax as they are government paid. Any private pension could be paid tax free though.

David

Re: Teacher's Pension - mine is paid without any tax deduction in the UK. You have to complete HM Revenue and Customs form:

"Individual Australia 2003" click here for the form.

You have to be a permanent resident. You then declare the income on your ATO return, but you can claim UPP (Undeducted Purchase Price of your pension in payment) which I think works out to about 8% follow this link http://www.ato.gov.au/content/18917.htm

Hope this helps?

Julie

David & Sheila

Hi Durhamlad, to give you an idea of time frame, our container arrived 8th October at Brisbane but took until 24th October to be delivered to our rental. We found our rental in that time and did not pay any extra storeage, we were told that was an average time to clear Brisbane customs.

P.S. If you have agreed a price for possible storage in the UK check any quote your Oz firm gives you for storeage, ours 'forgot' to quote a John Mason 'rate' and wanted to charge nearly double the UK price quoted. :policeman:

No tax expert either but told by the UK tax authorities that no way could my Teachers or NHS pensions be paid without deduction of UK tax as they are government paid. Any private pension could be paid tax free though.

David

Again, not a tax expert but I pursued this very question as i too have a teachers pension. I spent hours on the phone to various tax departments before I left the uk but eventuallygot the definitive answer: under the double taxation agreement between Australia and the uk, government pensions including teachers are paid gross once you have opted to be taxed as an Australian resident. Two points...this is not the case wiith most countries but the oz uk agreement is a special case and secondly most people in uk tax offices seemed unaware of this and I too got told that it would be paid net. Finally I recently met a retired uk teacher out here who confirmed that her pension is paid gross.

My news is that i have a job! More hours than I originally wanted but a good job, close to home and well paid so i can stop worrying how to pay the exorbitant rent! I was worried that my age-60- would count against me but the question never got raised. Hope that is reassuring News for Liverpool Loo who I believe was concerned about this subject.

I don't start till the end of January so i still have another 8 weeks of " holiday"..lovely!

Hi Mike and Sue

I also have applied for a 173 can you upgrade to 143 without having moved to Oz as long as you have validated. Also is that $32k including AOS?

Cham

G'day Cham

You have to validate by entering Oz within the time limit – 12 months from your meds or police checks, whichever is the earlier. As I understand it, you can then apply for the 143 at any time within two years, from Oz or overseas – we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks!

Unfortunately the $32,000 is just the visa fee (for two people); the AoS is extra. It's only money! (But at least they pay interest on the AoS, and repay it after 10 years if you haven't drawn on Oz social services.

Good luck; happy saving!! Mike

Two headlines in the UK this morning…

BBC: A tanker containing yeast extract, believed to be Marmite, overturned, closing the M1 this morning.

The Guardian business pages: UK's Marmite makers vote to strike over pension cuts.

I hope you tune in still, Matt, to hear this bad news! But I hope that, otherwise, all is well with you and Lady Matt.

Mike

David

Don't take tax advice from HM Revenue! I wouldn't have even bothered making the phone call ...

Best regards.

Guest sirmatt101
Two headlines in the UK this morning…

BBC: A tanker containing yeast extract, believed to be Marmite, overturned, closing the M1 this morning.

The Guardian business pages: UK's Marmite makers vote to strike over pension cuts.

I hope you tune in still, Matt, to hear this bad news! But I hope that, otherwise, all is well with you and Lady Matt.

Mike

Hi Mike, what a blow, the cost of Marmite is certain to rise now especially the exported version Our Mate!

I have just caught up with reading the forum having not been on here for sometime now. Its hard to believe that we have now been in Oz for just over 10 months, the time has flown by, must be having 2 jobs that does that.

Reading some of the previous posts about the costs of living here being expensive, it is if you don't earn Oz $s, but we just accept the prices now, we live well, don,t lack for anything, even save money earned here as well as OH's UK pension & my Service pension. I seem to remember that when we were in the early stages of applying for a visa we wanted to come to Oz to join our offspring no matter what, seems like a few are losing sight of that!

Lady Matt is still looking for a job, but it is still eluding her, I don't mind as its nice to come home from a 12 hour shift to a nice welcome!!

All the best to those still awaiting their visas and for those that have them, remember why we came here!!

Cheers Matt

Did I forget to mention the lovely hot weather we are having!!!

Reading some of the previous posts about the costs of living here being expensive, it is if you don't earn Oz $s, but we just accept the prices now, we live well, don,t lack for anything, even save money earned here as well as OH's UK pension & my Service pension. I seem to remember that when we were in the early stages of applying for a visa we wanted to come to Oz to join our offspring no matter what, seems like a few are losing sight of that!

I agree. One simply has to get out of the habit of applying an exchange rate all the time! Just think in dollars, wherever those dollars come from.

Mike

My news is that i have a job! More hours than I originally wanted but a good job, close to home and well paid so i can stop worrying how to pay the exorbitant rent! I was worried that my age-60- would count against me but the question never got raised. Hope that is reassuring News for Liverpool Loo who I believe was concerned about this subject.

I don't start till the end of January so i still have another 8 weeks of " holiday"..lovely!

Congrats, Fiz.

All sounds as though things are going great!

John

David & Sheila

Definitelty worth transferring the money to Oz asap, David & Sheila.

You get 5.6% interest or thereabouts for tying it up even for 3 months compared to 1.5% in the UK?

Makes sense.

John & Eirian

We had our medicals done last July 2011 although we do not expect to be appointed a CO until Feb/March 2012. Is this permissible?

Are you expected to wait until you get a CO before arranging your medical?

I realize that we will have to validate the visas before July 2012, but that's OK.

We're also planning to get our Police Checks done soon, so that all is ready and waiting when we get our CO.

When I asked parents.immi this question by email, they said we should do nothing until getting a CO and any "frontloading" would be ignored. Is this correct? Has anyone jumped the gun as we have done? Was it OK to do so?

From its tone, the email did seem to be a standard response.

Thanks.

John & Eirian

We had our medicals done last July 2011 although we do not expect to be appointed a CO until Feb/March 2012. Is this permissible?

Are you expected to wait until you get a CO before arranging your medical?

I realize that we will have to validate the visas before July 2012, but that's OK.

We're also planning to get our Police Checks done soon, so that all is ready and waiting when we get our CO.

When I asked parents.immi this question by email, they said we should do nothing until getting a CO and any "frontloading" would be ignored. Is this correct? Has anyone jumped the gun as we have done? Was it OK to do so?

From its tone, the email did seem to be a standard response.

Thanks.

John & Eirian

G'day

It's OK to "front-load", but both meds and police checks last only 12 months, and you'd have to redo them if you overrun – eg, by entering Oz after 12 months or, heaven forbid, if the CO appointment is delayed.

Good luck, Mike

• Like 1

G'day!

Where is everybody? Does no one have any news or problems to share? Perhaps the economic crisis has knocked everyone unconscious?!

We are off to Oz a week today, and will validate our 173s on entry. Forms already filled in to upgrade to 143s – just signatures of sponsor-daughter to be added, and we'll be on the way to spending another $32k. (You have to either laugh or cry, but having got this far…) Now all we need is for George Osborne to freeze pensions next week…

Today is a bit of a special day for us since it is the first anniversary of our arrival in Australia on our 143 visa. So what has this year been like for us? It's fair to say that there have been a few ups and downs but by far more ups I'm pleased to say. I have found it more difficult than Tony, the first few weeks were quite hard for me, I felt so out of my comfort zone. It quickly became clear that we could not possibly buy our own home and the thought of renting for the rest of our days has been hard to come to terms with, particularly as it is so expensive. The cost of living is high but we no longer convert prices to pounds, there is absolutely no point, it's dollars in our bank account after all. It is wonderful to be so close to our children, although having said that, one daughter and her family have relocated to Broome. Nothing daunted, we bought a camper and hit the road north and had 5 weeks away seeing the sights and spending time with our family, doing 6000 kms in the process. What a wonderful way to see Australia. Today we have come back from a trip south to Esperance, Albany and Bridgetown. We have met so many people whilst camping who have spent years on the road that it is very tempting to do the same. Amongst the pluses of being here is the first class medical care we have received, no waiting to see our GP and always the same one, he's a bit keen on blood tests though but that seems to be the same with all GPs here. This compares to our poor daughter we left behind in the UK, she is so poorly yet has barely been able to see the same doctor twice. Each one says something different and she has had to beg to be referred. Guess who her employer is, yep, the good ole NHS.

I have to say a big thank you to the PIPs (Parents in Perth) who have been very supportive. All in all, it's been a big year and a big move but one we don't regret.

Cath & Tony

We have several bottles of high quality olive oil which a friend in the south of France gives us each year.

They're not in sealed bottles, as they were locally pressed; bottled in used but clean pastis and perrier bottles, in fact!

Does anyone know whether these will be confiscated by customs when our container arrives in Sydney.

If so, is there any way of "validating" these so that they get through?

Thanks.

John

Again, not a tax expert but I pursued this very question as i too have a teachers pension. I spent hours on the phone to various tax departments before I left the uk but eventuallygot the definitive answer: under the double taxation agreement between Australia and the uk, government pensions including teachers are paid gross once you have opted to be taxed as an Australian resident. Two points...this is not the case wiith most countries but the oz uk agreement is a special case and secondly most people in uk tax offices seemed unaware of this and I too got told that it would be paid net. Finally I recently met a retired uk teacher out here who confirmed that her pension is paid gross.

Thanks for the info which will be helpful to know when i get round to dealing with that one, still in the process of sorting a bank account out so i can drip money over there as the interest is better and it will be easier paying the final vac. Westpac seem the best option as it looks like my bank can be my certifyer to validate the account whithout me going to oz to validate in person. Phoning Westpac tomorrow for more info.

So glad you managed to get a job and so close to home too, i have been told there's lot's of work for care but also the salary isn't that great so i will more than likely have to work long hours to pay the rent which you so rightly say are exorbitant. Enjoy the holiday in that lovely warm weather. :cool: