SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

I have it in writing from them, there isn’t much more I can do, I cant afford to engage another migration agent!

Oh and I already know too well that they fck things up, I have already complained to the Commonwealth Ombudsman about the Department and have a compensation claim being processed for defective administration.

The question isn’t all that complex anyways, would a new visa granted by the Department supersede the old one. Its quite a common thing really.

So what happens if the MRT turn you down after the offshore visa has been granted? Will the offshore visa still stand? (I really don't know the answer, I'm just wondering.....!).

Yea my offshore visa will still stand if MRT affirms the Departments decison. MRT and the Department have confirmed that they are completely seperate processes and each has no bearing on the other one. So I can get the Offshore one, then if the MRT comes through in my favour, great ( i will be eligible for permanent residency) if not i have the offshore visa anyways... sorta win win... although very stressful and expensive! but it was a better option than if i had to leave oz to wait for my offshore visa should I only have applied if MRT was unsuccessful.

Edited by Keep me in oz

Dont you only have 28 days from the depart notice? I presume you know what your doing but thought I'd point it out.

@bobby122, @unclejames and @Gazbad - I too am onshore and coming up for 6 months in waiting (only a couple of months now perhaps) can I just ask, how much time did you all get to 'depart for grant'? and do you have to book a flight within 28 days? This info will be really helpful for me and my overactive planning brain! :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Keep me in oz

Hi all,

My partner and I have decided that we don't want to wait to be together for what could be another 7 months or more, things have been hard on us lately and the support is worth more to us than the lower income. I am happy to financially support him on a tourist visa until the PMV is ready to be granted (I know we will need to fly out of Aus to have it granted). We applied for a 12 month tourist visa and he has been asked to provide evidence (including a statement from me) of how he will financially support himself. I read that if immigration decide he has insufficient funds for the duration of the visa they can ask for a bond of between 5 and 15 thousand dollars! Has anyone had much experience in doing things this way? We have been 100% upfront with immigration about this plan and when he phoned to inquire if it was alright they told him it was, as long as he obviously followed the conditions of the visa (not working, leaving the country if and when required, etc). Any advice?

Hi all,

My partner and I have decided that we don't want to wait to be together for what could be another 7 months or more, things have been hard on us lately and the support is worth more to us than the lower income. I am happy to financially support him on a tourist visa until the PMV is ready to be granted (I know we will need to fly out of Aus to have it granted). We applied for a 12 month tourist visa and he has been asked to provide evidence (including a statement from me) of how he will financially support himself. I read that if immigration decide he has insufficient funds for the duration of the visa they can ask for a bond of between 5 and 15 thousand dollars! Has anyone had much experience in doing things this way? We have been 100% upfront with immigration about this plan and when he phoned to inquire if it was alright they told him it was, as long as he obviously followed the conditions of the visa (not working, leaving the country if and when required, etc). Any advice?

Just out of interest, how old is your partner? I ask this as if they are under 31 and have not used it, a WHV might solve your problem.

If over that age or already used up then I've not read yet of anyone from a low risk country being asked to provide a bond. Do you have funds in your account to show this amount if you are asked to provide proof?

Another option is to apply for a different tourist visa, the 3 month stay one (valid for a year and subsequent visits) and for him to hold off flying out for another month or so (after Jan flight prices drop perhaps?) and then to just do the 3 month holiday stint and all being well the visa will be granted in this time. If he flew out the end of Jan it'd be 9 months 3 months after he arrives. If need be he could get a cheap flight to Thailand and stay for a few weeks to wait if not granted or use a return portion of the ticket to head back to the UK for a month or so till it comes though. Or something like that.

I personally think flying out asap and waiting 4-5 months (or more if it takes longer) is a long time to be stuck on a tourist visa and sat twiddling your thumbs iykwim. If you are supporting him its going to mean finances are tight so its not even he could afford to do much possibly or stretch to things you might normally. I'd look into the 3 month stint and have a return ticket if need be or a trip to somewhere cheap for a while to wait if it takes longer.

Just out of interest, how old is your partner? I ask this as if they are under 31 and have not used it, a WHV might solve your problem.

If over that age or already used up then I've not read yet of anyone from a low risk country being asked to provide a bond. Do you have funds in your account to show this amount if you are asked to provide proof?

Another option is to apply for a different tourist visa, the 3 month stay one (valid for a year and subsequent visits) and for him to hold off flying out for another month or so (after Jan flight prices drop perhaps?) and then to just do the 3 month holiday stint and all being well the visa will be granted in this time. If he flew out the end of Jan it'd be 9 months 3 months after he arrives. If need be he could get a cheap flight to Thailand and stay for a few weeks to wait if not granted or use a return portion of the ticket to head back to the UK for a month or so till it comes though. Or something like that.

I personally think flying out asap and waiting 4-5 months (or more if it takes longer) is a long time to be stuck on a tourist visa and sat twiddling your thumbs iykwim. If you are supporting him its going to mean finances are tight so its not even he could afford to do much possibly or stretch to things you might normally. I'd look into the 3 month stint and have a return ticket if need be or a trip to somewhere cheap for a while to wait if it takes longer.

Thanks Snifter, yup, too old for WHV unfortunately! There are some circumstances that mean even on less money, it would be preferable to have him in Aus & he has stuff to do and friends here too. The three month option might be better but I would think they'd still ask us to prove that we have the ability to live / fly out? We don't have tonnes of savings due to both of us flying back and forth to visit all year and paying for the visa (post July so goodbye nearly 7K!) but I earn a decent wage and we will be ok financially without him working.

AusCitizen im soooo sorry to hear the troubles you are having! It must be soooo hard being apart. I think you just go for it and submit your financial docs and see if they allow it! there isnt much more you can do hey... could you take on a part time job to make your financial situation seem a bit better? im not sure you would have enough time to do that now but just a thought :)

AusCitizen im soooo sorry to hear the troubles you are having! It must be soooo hard being apart. I think you just go for it and submit your financial docs and see if they allow it! there isnt much more you can do hey... could you take on a part time job to make your financial situation seem a bit better? im not sure you would have enough time to do that now but just a thought :)

Thank you, it has been hard being apart, I have written a statement saying I'm happy to accept responsibility for him and understand he might need to leave the country at some point. We will submit that and our financials and we will cross our fingers and hope for the best. Failing that we might have to make an 'extenuating circumstances' plea but I don't think the department are overly sympathetic so I don't like our chances of that!

Thank you, it has been hard being apart, I have written a statement saying I'm happy to accept responsibility for him and understand he might need to leave the country at some point. We will submit that and our financials and we will cross our fingers and hope for the best. Failing that we might have to make an 'extenuating circumstances' plea but I don't think the department are overly sympathetic so I don't like our chances of that!

I doubt applying for the extenuating circumstances in your situation will get you anywhere as the off shore waiting it out aspect of the PMV is part of the process. Everyone has to wait and they don't make exceptions unless the situation is really desperate/dire and even then I'd not be sure how bad things would have to be before they made any changes or bumped the application to the front of the queue.

I'm inclined to agree, go for the 12 month one and see what happens. All being well it will be granted but if not you have other options. The only thing that would concern me about then applying for the shorter stay visa if the long stay one is declined is that they would see the visa application pending and the longer stay tourist visa not approved and may question the intent of the short visit one (unless he has one still valid from a previous visit, good for a year iirc).

I did long distance with my now husband for over 2 years after we met. We didn't go the PMV as he then came to the UK to live and we got married there but the long distance thing prior to that was a pain and this was in the days before speedy internet and Skype or facetime etc. Its not ideal but you get through it and there is an end in sight :) I know its not much comfort but each day ticking over is another day less till visa grant :)

I applied in March. Flew to Oz on a tourist visa in July. The 3 months repeat one. Flew to Fiji in October for 5 days to satisfy that. Got my depart to grant notice in November and flew to NZ for 1 day. At no point was I asked about financial circumstances.

Good luck.

AusCitizen we are on the PMV300 waiting list too and it kills us being apart from each other. Only thing that is keeping me from going insane is my new niece who was born in September!

I feel your pain. We considered doing exactly what you are wanting to do but are not in the financial position to do so with visiting each other and a wedding coming up, these next three months of wages for us both are pretty important and will need to support us for the time I'm not working whilst job hunting!

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you! :)

AusCitizen we are on the PMV300 waiting list too and it kills us being apart from each other. Only thing that is keeping me from going insane is my new niece who was born in September!

I feel your pain. We considered doing exactly what you are wanting to do but are not in the financial position to do so with visiting each other and a wedding coming up, these next three months of wages for us both are pretty important and will need to support us for the time I'm not working whilst job hunting!

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you! :)

Thanks GooseRenders :) it really is painful isn't it! I've been watching the application list very closely and I've got my fingers firmly crossed that they smash though a whole bunch of apps for you before Xmas but it's been so quiet! We're not under any illusion that it will be easy to do things this way, even saving for a casual, low key wedding will have us tightening our belts & being really careful to make sure we have the money to fly out for the visa processing too. I'm having some health issues at the moment so while two of us on my income will be tough, it will be worth it to have his support here.

Congrats on the niece!! :)

Assigned case officer yesterday yay! Name is Lee

email says paperwork will be returned to me next week and medical and police checks 6 October.

Header says sc100 so hoping straight to PR been together 16 years married for 13

How can a small e mail make you feel as good as this! #stepforward

Application for 309/100 submitted 6/5/15 CO assigned 12/6/15 medical/police checks after 6/10/15

Visa granted today! Subclass 100 and less than 8 months ... Over the moon anyone else got theirs today?

Hi,

thought I would share our grant news. Completely unexpected but been granted 309 in just over 6 months.

applied 1st June and grant came today. Found this forum really useful through out application and wanted to say thanks.

good luck to everyone waiting

Hi,

thought I would share our grant news. Completely unexpected but been granted 309 in just over 6 months.

applied 1st June and grant came today. Found this forum really useful through out application and wanted to say thanks.

Congratulations! Are you in the UK and applied via London?

Hi,

Blimey..........6 months, that's the quickest I've seen so far, good luck with your new life down under. :-)

Partner visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of five in early 2016.

Hi all just wondering has the layout of the webpage for the applications changed recently. When I go into mine under view application status it says the following which I have not seen before.

Important information

This application will be eligible for consideration for permanent residence 2 years from lodgement (commencement date).

This application has been received by the department and has been placed in a queue. Partner category visa applications are processed in the order of the date on which the application was received (lodgement date). Individual processing times will vary depending on a range of factors.

Does everyones show that ???

Hi all just wondering has the layout of the webpage for the applications changed recently. When I go into mine under view application status it says the following which I have not seen before.

Important information

This application will be eligible for consideration for permanent residence 2 years from lodgement (commencement date).

This application has been received by the department and has been placed in a queue. Partner category visa applications are processed in the order of the date on which the application was received (lodgement date). Individual processing times will vary depending on a range of factors.

Does everyones show that ???

There was a big update to the layout about 10 days ago

Nothing new in that info though is there?