NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest s4mmy

I am going on the 457 visa.

I have interviews this week for jobs in Oz.

I did not pass the IELTS does anyone know if this will affect my 457 visa as it does mention English Language Skills.

Any advice?

Sam

Guest Fishcake85

Hello,

This is my first time posting on PomsInOz and I hope Im posting in the right section as there seems to be a lot of threads around nursing!

Can anybody tell me if the Advanced Diploma in Nursing is recognised in Australia? I have 18months post qualifying experience and am wanting to start my Visa application ASAP but need to know if I need to do the 'Top Up degree' first?

Many thanks.

ANy questions on the above?
Very new and a novice on this site but will try to explain: Due to my not so tender years (although if retirement is aged 65 then I have a good 10+ years left) I need to apply for temporary vis (457) via sponsorship. I am just about to send my documents off to APHRA. My question is: If I ever succeed in getting through the APHRA process do I then approach an agency? Also is it worth applying to more than one agency? I have read other threads which quote that they applied direct to hospitals, and other that they applied for state sponsorship. Thanks for any help

Hello,This is my first time posting on PomsInOz and I hope Im posting in the right section as there seems to be a lot of threads around nursing!Can anybody tell me if the Advanced Diploma in Nursing is recognised in Australia? I have 18months post qualifying experience and am wanting to start my Visa application ASAP but need to know if I need to do the 'Top Up degree' first?Many thanks.

Welcome to PIO :biggrin:

The info you need is here

AHPRA - Update for international nurses

>>Applications received after 14 September 2010

Nurses and midwives qualified in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore who have a degree or a diploma and further education and who are registered as a first level nurse in these countries, are deemed to have the equivalent qualification as a practitioner qualified in Australia.

Specifically, this means nurses and midwives who have successfully completed a minimum

six semester (or equivalent) Bachelor degree or Associate degree (or higher) in general nursing at a university in one of these countries, who also has professional licensure as a registered (first level) nurse in the country of education, will be considered to meet the requirement for equivalence to an Australian degree completed at an Australian university.

Nurses and midwives from these countries who have a Diploma of Higher Education or Advanced Diploma at a university or equivalent institution, together with professional licensure as a registered nurse and further professional/post-graduate education, also meet the standard for registration as a registered nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

Nurses and midwives with only a diploma qualification from these countries will require assessment of their further education and/or work experience to determine if they are equivalent to an Australian qualified practitioner. <<

Guest thewhyman
Hello,

This is my first time posting on PomsInOz and I hope Im posting in the right section as there seems to be a lot of threads around nursing!

Can anybody tell me if the Advanced Diploma in Nursing is recognised in Australia? I have 18months post qualifying experience and am wanting to start my Visa application ASAP but need to know if I need to do the 'Top Up degree' firs

diploma is recognised and better still having spoken to the ANMC recently they have said that even with diploma they are recognising it as a degree and diac will give appropriate points on new points test ie 15:jiggy:.

diploma is recognised and better still having spoken to the ANMC recently they have said that even with diploma they are recognising it as a degree and diac will give appropriate points on new points test ie 15:jiggy:.

This is really good news :wink:

Thanks for this :notworthy:

Guest tandcmum

Just wondering what everyone sent in fees when they applied to AHPRA. I've heard of people paying the full registration, application and assessment fee out and some have only sent the assessment fee as you only get eligibility to register now and have to go in person into the office and then you pay the registration fee

thanks x

HI, im due to graduate in March 2012 degree in adult nursing and my family including i are due to move out to perth at the end of march. (i am going on my parents visa) .. just wondering would i be able to apply for an Australian pin?? i have been researching the post grad courses they do over there and have been in touch with a few ( who tell me to contact them closer to my moving day) , i am interested in trying to get onto one of these courses!

any help would b grateful!

thanks

Hi everybody, haven't posted in a while but am finally getting my application moving (or so I thought) and have come up against a bit of a brick wall......

Applied for AHPRA registration in November, jumped through all the hoops, got a different transcript from uni as the first was wasn't what they wanted etc, and have just received a letter from them today saying that I am eligible for registration but have to go into an AHPRA office by 29/03/2012 to get it finalised!

I am sure I never read anything about this when I was filling in the application and sorting out the paperwork, and am gutted as am not planning to be in australia by then as my partner and I want to go travelling first. This also then means that I cannot apply for modified assessment by the ANMC, my IELTS test will have run out and I'm going to have to sort out the whole thing out whilst travelling which is going to be a nightmare, as well as paying twice!

I've read on a couple of posts that this seems to be the norm, is it a new thing? How can you get a visa without an ANMC assessment, and why do they offer you the option of modified assessment if you can't get registered without going to aus first?

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, I just can't believe all the fees to AHPRA and the notary etc have been wasted.

Last question, does anyone know if AHPRA have an office or something in the UK i can go into?

Thanks for reading, sorry again its a bit long!

Just wondering what everyone sent in fees when they applied to AHPRA. I've heard of people paying the full registration, application and assessment fee out and some have only sent the assessment fee as you only get eligibility to register now and have to go in person into the office and then you pay the registration fee

thanks x

Hi, I paid the whole lot and am actually registered, but have also neede to re register again this month having not yet reached oz! I do like being on the register however! It's comforting to know I can work when I get there!

Gill x

Guest tandcmum
Hi, I paid the whole lot and am actually registered, but have also neede to re register again this month having not yet reached oz! I do like being on the register however! It's comforting to know I can work when I get there!

Gill x

was that $220 assessment fee plus $115 registration fee?

Guest Coxy04

Hi,

I too am in same situation, having received letter stating eligible to register, and need to attend AHPRA office. It is on the initial info, for me, we were to have been travelling this year anyhow, but have reluctantly agreed to stay for 2 years for daughter to do her A levels, so not travelling till then. We have 12 months to validate visa, so will be travelling Feb next year to validate visa, and to sort registration at AHPRA office at same time, We then have to return to UK for another 18 months before can travel for good. Could you not travel to keep eligibility to register, for me personally, i could not face having to go through the whole process again, gathering all the documentation and transcripts etc, it would have been worth the flight cost to travel out just for that! Good luck

Guest smogmonster
Hiya, just wondering how you get 15 points for work experience, when that is - worked 8 out of the last 10 years, when you are 25 years old?

Just thinking you have had to have trained for 3/4 years in that time too?

Only a question, as was looking through the new points for myself there just now,

Donna x:smile:

Ha, just noticed your reply, so apologies...the 25 refers to the points i can get under the new system from July 1st - im actually 35 yrs old:shocked:, qualified for 12 years.

Hiya,

I re-read your post now I see how you wrote out your points, so am sorry for mis-reading it! I am 32, been qualified for 11 years, so reckon we are pretty luckily, and at a good age for the new points.

Have you started the whole process?

Donna x

Guest smogmonster

Yeah, we were ready to go a couple of years ago, but had to cancel due to various issues. So i am actually already registered with AHPRA. Now we're sorted and ready to go again. Im just waiting for my Modified Assessment to come back for the points from ANMAC. I sat my IELTS last month, somehow got an overall 9 (L8.5(grrrr), R9, W9, S9) so stunned myself with that. Once the ANMAC assessment comes back we can proceed with applying for SS from WA, or we may wait until July 1st, as we can also apply for a 175 now we know that the Diploma counts for 15 points like a degree does from July 1st. Where are you headed, going to work etc?

Hiya, We are quite new to this, just decided in January to give Australia a go. Also looking at WA, Perth. I have the skills assessment in at the ANMAC just now, but it loks like its going to take about 3 months, then the state sponsor then the visa. Feel like its all taking an age to be honest, and we are only at the beginning! We are using an agent, but that doesn't stop we worrying about timings, although nothing is really going to change for us after July 1st.

What area of nursing are you in? I work in A&E, so hoping to continue that when we move.

Hello,

This is my first message so apologies if I have not done it correctly or used the wrong forum!

My husband and I and our 3 year old daughter hope to migrate to oz as soon as we get all the paperwork sorted. My OH is a mental health nurse and we will be applying for PR using 175 visa. We have just last week posted off our skills assessment application and are in the process of getting everything prepared for the nursing registration and have become stuck on a few things:

What is the total cost for nursing registration? Is it 220 plus 115?

CV - does this need to be signed by my OH or by his employers? It doesn't make sense to have it signed by his current employer as they can't certify that his previous work details are correct and he has had many different employers in the last 5 years

Were can we find JOP to certify documents?

Finally, which office should we send our application?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Hi all,

I am just starting out the process myself. Found out today that I have passed the IELTS with an overall score of 7.5, so rather shocked. Am trying to get the transcripts now from the universities. Am a bit confused as to what to do next. Do I need to do the skills assessment next, and then get registered before getting a job and sponsored visa option.

Guest smogmonster

Grahame, it has changed since i registered over there, but to the best of my knowledge you need to have your CV signed by your employer to say it is accurate, and then you also need a letter to confirm that you have worked at least 20 hrs per week (or 37.5 if full time) from each employer for the last 5 years - this can be from your line manager in each job or from the relevant HR Dept. Make sure it is on letterheaded paper. JOPs can be found at your local Magistrates i think. Youre supposed to send the application to whichever state youre intending to work...but it appears that WA is quicker than elsewhere, and it seems that it doesnt matter where you register.

Tracey, i believe that its cheaper to get registered with AHPRA first then do the modified ANMC assessment so $220 + $215.

TDK, my background is mixture of military, A+E, Coronary Care, Management, and Remote Care - i work for a drilling company in West Africa these days as an offshore and remote medic. I'll probably carry on doing something similar, either offshore or in the mining industry (i have just sat all my Health and Safety courses - they love that kind of stuff)...or i may say sod it, and go back to A+E fulltime - still my fave place to work. My better half is a Health Visitor, so she'll be working as a Child and Family Health Nurse, just waiting for her registration to come through. I wouldnt bother with an agent myself - they seem to be a bit of a con IMHO, and it seems that nursing is probably the most straightforward (!!!!) way of entry into Oz. Id rather save the money - its going to cost a fortune anyway.

Hello,

This is my first message so apologies if I have not done it correctly or used the wrong forum!

My husband and I and our 3 year old daughter hope to migrate to oz as soon as we get all the paperwork sorted. My OH is a mental health nurse and we will be applying for PR using 175 visa. We have just last week posted off our skills assessment application and are in the process of getting everything prepared for the nursing registration and have become stuck on a few things:

What is the total cost for nursing registration? Is it 220 plus 115?

CV - does this need to be signed by my OH or by his employers? It doesn't make sense to have it signed by his current employer as they can't certify that his previous work details are correct and he has had many different employers in the last 5 years

Were can we find JOP to certify documents?

Finally, which office should we send our application?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Hiya,

I e.mailed Aphra the other week about the CV, as I have not been employed by my current employer for 5 years, and they said it is fine just be signed by the current manager, that this is satisfactory.

I phoned up my local court about 2 weeks ago, and made an appointment with the JOP to sign all my docs. This is a free service, but have had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment.

Hope this all helps,

Donna :biggrin:

Hiya,

I e.mailed Aphra the other week about the CV, as I have not been employed by my current employer for 5 years, and they said it is fine just be signed by the current manager, that this is satisfactory.

I phoned up my local court about 2 weeks ago, and made an appointment with the JOP to sign all my docs. This is a free service, but have had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment.

Hope this all helps,

Donna :biggrin:

Thanks Donna,

It looks like we are at the same stage of this long drawn out process!! It just seems strange having to ask current employers to sign a CV that covers previous employment - how do they know it is true what is written??? Anyway will give it a go and hope they just agree to do it!

What Court are you going to? We live in Manchester so I will give them a ring and see if I can get an appointment......

Thanks,

Amanda

Thanks Donna,

It looks like we are at the same stage of this long drawn out process!! It just seems strange having to ask current employers to sign a CV that covers previous employment - how do they know it is true what is written??? Anyway will give it a go and hope they just agree to do it!

What Court are you going to? We live in Manchester so I will give them a ring and see if I can get an appointment......

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

You are not joking about it being ong and drawn out!:arghh: Think it is worse because it is something you really want to do, and do it now! and there is no rushing other people! I've the skills assessment in at the moment with the ANMAC, is yours in too?

Thought I'd just get the Aphra registration sorted out while we are waiting for that to come back.

I am going to Livingston Sherrif Court, thats in central scotland, so a wee bit far for you to come! I just goggled for a local court and gave them a ring.

Have you got children? Where are you looking to move to?

Donna x

Hi Amanda,

You are not joking about it being ong and drawn out!:arghh: Think it is worse because it is something you really want to do, and do it now! and there is no rushing other people! I've the skills assessment in at the moment with the ANMAC, is yours in too?

Thought I'd just get the Aphra registration sorted out while we are waiting for that to come back.

I am going to Livingston Sherrif Court, thats in central scotland, so a wee bit far for you to come! I just goggled for a local court and gave them a ring.

Have you got children? Where are you looking to move to?

Donna x

Hi,

We are doing exactly the same, we sent our skills assessment off two weeks ago and are getting everything together for Aphra registration because by the sounds of it, it could take a while!

We have got one little girl called Zara who is 3.

We still haven't decided yet on where we want to go, thinking of either Brisbane or Melbourne, how about you??

Are you going to try and get a job offer before you go out?

Amanda x

Hi Amanda and Donna,

I have received one reply saying that it is best to get registered first with AHPRA and then do modifed assessment as it is cheaper. Can you do this or do we need to get full assessment first, being from the UK. I passed my IELTS this week with overall score of 7.5 so well chuffed. I am a little confused about documentation. It says that NMC and IELTS and transcripts have to come direct from the provider to the organisation, not from us. How will they know if is for us, as the application won't be with this documentation, do I ask them to send this information before I send application, or afterwards. Sorry, I am just starting out, so very confused in the whole process. I have plenty of time as I don't want to go until Sept 2012. Will ANMAC forward documents including IELTS, NMC and transcripts to AHPRA, saving us getting additional certified copies?