NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest tandcmum
Yes I am applying for a 176 perm visa, but I cannot apply for the visa until July this year as i do not have 12 of the last 24 months work experience.

What I want to do is have my skills assessed before July and be a registered nurse. Then in July i can appply for the visa.

However, the first problem I have encountered is that when applying to have my skills assessed the document states;

this form is for applicants who have been requested by the dept of immigration to have a skills assessment carried out.

I have not been requested by the IMMI, can i not just get my skills assessed before I apply for the visa? I want to get a head and have everything done.

Im probably complicating things but I have no idea about how the process works.

I'm sure in July the experience requirements are changing somewhat, im not an expert but i think the 12 in 24 months is changing. At the moment i would qualify for the 12 in 24 months but im sure it is changing to something like 3 out of 5 years or 7 out of 10 years for max points, you might need to check that out

The AGOS 04 form still states :

Be signed and dated by your employer (i.e. in the past 5 years) with a statement "This Curriculum Vitae is true and correct as at (insert date)

Where as other parts of the form lead me to believe it is ME who needs to sign the form as true.

Is this horse poo ?? Which is the right thing to do ???

As if it's not enough hastle trying to locate a reasonably priced Notary Public.

Also how long is the NMC Verification of Good Standing valid in thier eyes. I've seen on some posts that they accept a year. Is this right ??

:mad::elvis:

Guest Chr1s07

Thanks for your reply

However, the first problem I have encountered is that when applying to have my skills assessed the document states;

this form is for applicants who have been requested by the dept of immigration to have a skills assessment carried out.

I have not been requested by the IMMI, can i not just get my skills assessed before I apply for the visa?

Can I apply to have my skills assessed as the first step in the process of becoming a registered nurse, the immi have not requested this yet as I have not applied for a visa.

Guest alicat1969

I'm trying to find out if my O and A level certificates are sufficient to prove I was educated in England, in English?

Guest Stevieboy22

AAARRRGGGHHH AHPRA are a pain in the caboose. :arghh: They recieved my application on the 17th November, recieved my verification of registration from the NMC and my transcript of training by early December yet I'm still waiting to be assigned a case officer. I have a job waiting for me in Melbourne and have to keep putting off my start date.

I know there is not alot I can do to speed things up but just how frustrating can an official body be????

The AGOS 04 form still states :

Be signed and dated by your employer (i.e. in the past 5 years) with a statement "This Curriculum Vitae is true and correct as at (insert date)

Where as other parts of the form lead me to believe it is ME who needs to sign the form as true.

Is this horse poo ?? Which is the right thing to do ???

As if it's not enough hastle trying to locate a reasonably priced Notary Public.

Also how long is the NMC Verification of Good Standing valid in thier eyes. I've seen on some posts that they accept a year. Is this right ??

:mad::elvis:

We got the current employer to sign the CV. That's the way it reads.

Guest amypup

Hi

Could anyone tell me if you have to register with the Australian Nursing board prior to looking for a sponsor for visa?:huh:

We got the current employer to sign the CV. That's the way it reads.

Did you get the Nursing Staff to sign or the Human Resources Manager ??

I'd better get this started if they are taking upwards of 6 months to get it sorted AAhhhh..

I'd better get this started if they are taking upwards of 6 months to get it sorted AAhhhh..

Slightly different as she's a Pharmacist rather than in nursing and coming from private retail Pharmacy - Asda actually. So it was her line manager. All accepted and approved.

Was just reading this thread as the application process is virtually the same.

Guest donaa2

Yes. My documents have been lodged with the AHPRA since oct 2010 and i have still not been allocated a assessing officer. Any suggestions how i can speed things up as i need to work in Victoria now. My application was sent well before we even left the UK. Never anticipated it taking this long. Andrea

Guest alicat1969
I was told a few days ago by nurse recruitment agency that the delay with AHPRA is that initially they had to deal with all those in Oz changing over to central registration, then they had to deal with people already practicing in Oz, now they have just had the new influx of newly graduated nurses and health care professionals who are waiting to start jobs, then they are starting to process overseas nurses, they have had to prioritise those already in country and already with jobs. Thats just his take on it.

This from the other thread on registrations - after reading almost everything on here about this process, it seems you have to e-mail, ring, e-mail, ring again, until they're so fed up with you they just get on with it ! It seems to take between 6-9 months...:(

It is confusing isn't it but you'll get there in the end! Yes if you're applying by post your stuff needs to be certified, when it's online and in colour you don't have to x

I'm just going to do it online and keep my fingers crossed. If you only scan your documents in, then I can scan the documents sent from our sponsor. So no need to send in post.

So you definately didn't scan in the things needed for ANMC application?

Hi to all nurse applying for reg with AHPRA

Please can someone answer a few queries I have regarding AHPRA please I am feeling a little stressed with it all!

I am a newly qualified nurse Sept 2010 with Dip HE, started a job Nov 2010 on an acute respiratory ward.

Sent my application form to AHPRA (Perth) in Feb, have to admit they have been pretty quick and efficient, they emailed me 21st Feb to say they had received my form and were assessing it. Then they emailed 2 days ago (now have a reg officer and they took the £289 off my credit card on 21st Feb) Please see email below.

We are in receipt of an Application for general registration (graduated or trained overseas) as Registered Nurse, Enrolled Nurse or Midwife.

We recommend for you to refer to our web site Registration/Registration Process/Proof of Identity in relation to an applicant who is currently overseas.

Please be advised the following documents are still outstanding to continue the processing of your application:

- A certified copy of Transcript of Training, stating the theoretical and clinical clocked hours experienced in your course.

As you have completed a Diploma Higher Education in nursing the Board requires evidence of continuing professional development as per the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia standard (please refer to attachment) and a minimum of twelve months experience as a (first level) registered nurse in United Kingdom, to support this two professional character references. Certified copy’s of the two professional character references are required to be posted into the Board.

- Certified copy of Statement of Service (Document provided is not certified)

Please provide the required documentation within 30 days from the date of this letter to allow the finalisation of the assessment of your application. If you fail to provide such documentation by this date it will be taken that you have withdrawn your application. The Board will consider written requests (email acceptable) for an extension to this timeframe that details the reason for requesting the extension, and a proposed date for meeting the requirement.

Should you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us via email.

I didn't realise you had to have 12 months experience before applying? I was under the impression you only needed a minimum of 3 month practice? can anyone clarify this for me? Also AHPRA don't clearly state that you need 2 character references certified. if I had known this I would have sent it the first time! this means I now have to go back to court and pay for certification again! Also what do they mean by continuing professional development? what can I send in to them to show this as I have only been there 4 months? Also can the professional character references be from anyone I have worked with in the past or does it mean my manager now? Sorry for all the questions but I am confused!

Thanks x

I got the HR manager to sign CV as I felt a bit awkward asking my manager as just started there! APHRA seem to be happy with this and havent mentioned anything in their email to me about it.

Guest loveaussies

In the application form it clearly says our cv should be signed by employer for last five years..I was working for same employer for last five years..so AHPRA approved it

Thanks guys I'll get the HR department to do it when I get yet another updated statement of service. I'm going to hold off applying until i get my new yearly pin number in april to avoid having to send things several times. I'm not planning my move till much later in the year if not early 2012 so I will call / e mail repeatedly if they've not done it by October :-)

Did they ask you also for two character references ?

It's not mentioned on the form. Who can do this ?? Ive got a nice ref from my previous ward manager. Who to ask :-S ???

Yes. My documents have been lodged with the AHPRA since oct 2010 and i have still not been allocated a assessing officer. Any suggestions how i can speed things up as i need to work in Victoria now. My application was sent well before we even left the UK. Never anticipated it taking this long. Andrea

Ring them. Send lots of e mails and show up at the office with ID and make a fuss :eek:

Yes I am applying for a 176 perm visa, but I cannot apply for the visa until July this year as i do not have 12 of the last 24 months work experience.

What I want to do is have my skills assessed before July and be a registered nurse. Then in July i can appply for the visa.

I have not been requested by the IMMI, can i not just get my skills assessed before I apply for the visa? I want to get a head and have everything done.

Im probably complicating things but I have no idea about how the process works.

Hi there, the writing in bold which you have noted basically means that you need to have your skills assessed before you apply for the visa. When you get a positive skills assessment you send of your letter stating this along with your visa application.

I'm also applying for a 176 PR visa. It's taken three months to get my skills assessment documents together and sent to ANMC, now awaiting the result.

After the 1st of July this year, IMMI are changing the criteria for both the 175 and 176 PR visas. Within the new criteria I won't have enough points to apply for the 176 visa after the 1st of July, so I'm rushing everything now to meet that deadline. If I were you I'd look at the new criteria and see if you have enough points, as I doubt you'll have everything ready by the 1st of July. I'm 24 and have two years post reg nursing experience and I'll be penalised for this under the new criteria due to young age and lack of experience.

Do your research before you go to any unnecessary expense and good luck!

Thanks guys I'll get the HR department to do it when I get yet another updated statement of service. I'm going to hold off applying until i get my new yearly pin number in april to avoid having to send things several times. I'm not planning my move till much later in the year if not early 2012 so I will call / e mail repeatedly if they've not done it by October :-)

Did they ask you also for two character references ?

It's not mentioned on the form. Who can do this ?? Ive got a nice ref from my previous ward manager. Who to ask :-S ???

Hi

You are right they do not mention this in the form and that is why I am a bit miffed about this as they should clearly out it in there somewhere to save the hassle of having to resend stuff and pay again to get it certified! When you apply I would just send the 2 refs at the same time, saves all the hassle! I have emailed the registration officer who is dealing with my application today regarding the 2 character references as I want to know if they can be from any previous employer, uni lecturer etc, or if it has to be someone in nursing and in my current job (I previously worked in admin and clerical in the NHS before starting my diploma) I will let you know what the email says when I get a reply.:arghh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to cover old ground, but can anyone clarify about applying to APHRA following the ANMC skills assessment. I have printed off the APHRA form, and started completing it. Meanwhile, my skills are in the middle of being assessed by the ANMC. I am right in thinking that the ANMC can forward all my certified docs onto APHRA to save me doing this again. Also, I am guessing I still need to attach this detailed CV. Is there anything else extra I am to add in?

Thank you in advance,

Donna:biggrin:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to cover old ground, but can anyone clarify about applying to APHRA following the ANMC skills assessment. I have printed off the APHRA form, and started completing it. Meanwhile, my skills are in the middle of being assessed by the ANMC. I am right in thinking that the ANMC can forward all my certified docs onto APHRA to save me doing this again. Also, I am guessing I still need to attach this detailed CV. Is there anything else extra I am to add in?

Thank you in advance,

Donna:biggrin:

Yep, ANMAC will forward documents on. Ahpra will only accept them if they r certified by someone outlined on their website, e.g justice of peace, notary public. I know a solicitor isn't sufficient.

Yep, ANMAC will forward documents on. Ahpra will only accept them if they r certified by someone outlined on their website, e.g justice of peace, notary public. I know a solicitor isn't sufficient.

The solicitor I used is a notary to the public so wrote that on the stuff. So I take it i just send the form off and ask ANMC to send the stuff to them and it will be married up?

Thanks again,

Donna

Hi all, sorry not read all post tooo long.... I think i have cocked up my registration big time. Im usually very organised but think got a bit lost with paperwork overload!!! iv sent my application but feel iv made 2 mistakes.

1) got solicitor to sign not notiary

2) read you have to send off somthing for fitness to practice? do you have to get the NMC to send something?

Im not in any real hurry as only just put in for PR visa but thought i would try to sort early. Will the whole application be rejected or will they advise what i have done wrong and instruct me to put it right?? iv sent some emails in the past but rarely get a reply. Is it worth me sorting the certified documents again and getting a notiary to sign them and forward them now??

Lisa :confused:

Hi all, sorry not read all post tooo long.... I think i have cocked up my registration big time. Im usually very organised but think got a bit lost with paperwork overload!!! iv sent my application but feel iv made 2 mistakes.

1) got solicitor to sign not notiary

2) read you have to send off somthing for fitness to practice? do you have to get the NMC to send something?

Im not in any real hurry as only just put in for PR visa but thought i would try to sort early. Will the whole application be rejected or will they advise what i have done wrong and instruct me to put it right?? iv sent some emails in the past but rarely get a reply. Is it worth me sorting the certified documents again and getting a notiary to sign them and forward them now??

Lisa :confused:

Me too Lisa, i went to the court to get mine certified (same court as before), and only realised when i had got home that the stamp they used said magistrates clerk not JOP!!! hope they will accept these, but they were JOPs!!!. I sent them in Feb and still not heard a peep!