NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest CabbageDan

I am currently looking into registering as a Nurse in Australia.

I am a Australian Citizen and have an Australian Passport, however I was educated, trained, and have practiced in the UK. I am currently living in the UK

My question is: is it necessary for me to have a job offer in Australia before making my application for registration?

On the form AGOS-04 there is a requirement to give the address of my principle place of practice/employment in Australia. I do not have this of yet, and would rather get my registration resolved before applying for jobs in order to make me a more attractive candidate.

Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.

Guest loveaussies

Hi anyone help please!!!!!!

I send my nursing registration papers to

AHPRA

G.P.O. Box 9958

Sydney NSW 2001

this Address thru DHL and they are asking for contact nuber and a name to contact for delivery...why?..I have no idea.....anyone had similar problem before....

anyother contact number for them...

Help please....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robnnic

Hi....i need advice please!!!!

i thought i was ok with everything until i came on here and now i'm confused about the order i need to do things.

Do i need to sort my registration with ANMC before i start my verification with the visa bureau? Just when i filled my form in with the Visa Bureau and asked if that was ok, they just said they need my CV and initial fee. So my other question is how do you know the visa people are le-git???

Gosh i feel so vulnerable...the fee is so large i just have in the back of my head we are getting ripped off....any help or advice would be gratefully received!!

Nic.x.

Hi guys,

I'm applying for a 176 visa, being sponsored by a relative. Do I need to apply for nursing registration prior in order to apply for this visa, or is that just if you apply for state sponsorship? I was hoping to apply for registration after my visa application.

Any advice would be great thanks :smile:

Guest loveaussies
Hi guys,

I'm applying for a 176 visa, being sponsored by a relative. Do I need to apply for nursing registration prior in order to apply for this visa, or is that just if you apply for state sponsorship? I was hoping to apply for registration after my visa application.

Any advice would be great thanks :smile:

If you need registration in 2012....I think you better strat nursing registration process now...it will take ages to get it...........

Guest loveaussies
How long does registration last for once it goes through? I won't be heading to perth until late 2012. Thanks x

R U registered with NMC now...lke that you have to renew Aussies reg. every year.....its always better to get it early and renew every year till u go..........

Applicant must provide certified documentary

evidence from their current and previous employers

that they have practised nursing and/or midwifery

within the past five years preceding their application,

as defined in criteria of the NMBA recency of practice

registration standard

How do I get this certified? Just take it to someone who is eligable to certify and get them to sign it?? I'm hoping my employer doesn't have to be present!! That would be a faf!

Guest loveaussies

You have to ring AHPRA and ask them after 10pm UK time....they will tell u about this....I have over 8 years experience....so I dont know the answer for this....I called AHPRA few times they are really helpfull in my view..eventhough their processing is dead slow

Guest pandj6224

Hi All.

Yes the ANMC will pass on to AHPRA but if you passed your skills assesment and DIAC have dragged their feet (as in our case) and it's been over two years since your skills assement then the ANMC will not pass the paperwork on, as at the two year point they destroy your file....Yes this has happened to my wife and so we now have to submit everything and more to AHPRA and with current situation it may well take months for them to sort it all out and even then they have the right not to register you even though the ANMC have accepted her qualifications. We had enough trouble with the ANMC initially....Because my wife converted from EN to RGN and when they saw a Certificate of HE they thought my wife had only ever been to college not University. Just hope that AHPRA don't do the same....

Skills assement passed Aug 2007 Visa approved Aug 3rd 2010 !!!!!!!!!!! Yes...3 Years....

Below is their reply to our email about passing everything to AHPRA.

We only keep application for two years so as yours was completed on the 20th of August 2007 we have now destroyed the file. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pat..

Here's a tip:

If you have your skills assessment done with the ANMC they will pass on your paperwork to the state you want to register with. There is no cost to you and it saves you having to duplicate documents. You then need only fill out the registrations form and send your money.

Ali

Guest pandj6224
Hi Collette

I would definately say do the 3yrs full time and become a fully registered nurse. She would find it alot easier to find employment .An enrolled nurse used to fulfill alot of what a health care assistant did with very minimal nurse roll input . The scope for progressing in you career is virtually nil as that is as high as you could go and then the next step would be more training to top up your qualifications to become a fully functioning registered nurse. So its only my opinion, but its better to bite the bullet for three years then it gives you more career scope :hug:

Hope this helps Annette x

Hi All,

Agree with Taylor72 on some points but Not with..... An enrolled nurse used to fulfill alot of what a health care assistant did with very minimal nurse roll input.....

My wife was trained in the UK Military as a n EN back in 86 and only converted to RGN between 2003/2005 to gain accreditation with the ANMC for Visa purposes....She was very hands on as an EN, Nursing everything from a broken leg to major bomb blast injuries and even ran a what was classed as a self care unit for walking wounded, she did much more than a healthcare assistant !!!!!

The job she has been in since 2000 within the NHS was advertised as a grade D Staff nurse/RGN, she was taken on as such, converting to RGN and now classed as a band 5 she still earns the same apart from yearly increments and pay rise.. Her job classification / roll hasn't changed..................

Of course we in the UK Don't train EN's anymore and haven't for many years.

I may be wrong but I think there was and still is a very distinct difference between the UK EN and an Australian EN and perhaps Annette was refering to the Australian EN's status, I'm not sure...

In all probability to gain international accreditation Collete's friend would I believe need the 3 year Degree or equivelent course though, so on that note Annette's advice is sound..

Just wanted to clear things up a little....No offence to anyone intended...

Pat..

Hey guys, we're relatively new to the forum and were wondering if anyone could shed some light on what counts as work experience for visas?

My OH is a registered nurse with 2 years post qual experience, we've been waiting (as have a lot of people) for the WA SMP to be released and are absolutely gutted to find out that 7 years experience is required for 176 sponsorship :arghh:

My question is, does anyone know if the 3 years training counts towards the overall work experience? If so it'd mean we could at least try for regional sponsorship.

Already have AHPRA reg, through mutual recognition as got WA reg back in Feb and have positive skills assessment.........

Many thanks D.

Hey guys, we're relatively new to the forum and were wondering if anyone could shed some light on what counts as work experience for visas?

My OH is a registered nurse with 2 years post qual experience, we've been waiting (as have a lot of people) for the WA SMP to be released and are absolutely gutted to find out that 7 years experience is required for 176 sponsorship :arghh:

My question is, does anyone know if the 3 years training counts towards the overall work experience? If so it'd mean we could at least try for regional sponsorship.

Already have AHPRA reg, through mutual recognition as got WA reg back in Feb and have positive skills assessment.........

Many thanks D.

I was wondering about this aswel...but I dont think it'll count as it has to be experience in the occupation you've nominated i.e Registered Nurse...so pre-reg experience prob wont count.......hope someone proves me wrong tho as then I can apply :)

Guest Taylor72
Hi All,

Agree with Taylor72 on some points but Not with..... An enrolled nurse used to fulfill alot of what a health care assistant did with very minimal nurse roll input.....

My wife was trained in the UK Military as a n EN back in 86 and only converted to RGN between 2003/2005 to gain accreditation with the ANMC for Visa purposes....She was very hands on as an EN, Nursing everything from a broken leg to major bomb blast injuries and even ran a what was classed as a self care unit for walking wounded, she did much more than a healthcare assistant !!!!!

The job she has been in since 2000 within the NHS was advertised as a grade D Staff nurse/RGN, she was taken on as such, converting to RGN and now classed as a band 5 she still earns the same apart from yearly increments and pay rise.. Her job classification / roll hasn't changed..................

Of course we in the UK Don't train EN's anymore and haven't for many years.

I may be wrong but I think there was and still is a very distinct difference between the UK EN and an Australian EN and perhaps Annette was refering to the Australian EN's status, I'm not sure...

In all probability to gain international accreditation Collete's friend would I believe need the 3 year Degree or equivelent course though, so on that note Annette's advice is sound..

Just wanted to clear things up a little....No offence to anyone intended...

Pat..

Awww sorry Pat, i didnt mean to offend anyone re the EN roll. The uk SEN was very much a nursing roll !!! I was talking about the Australian equivilent.

Sorry for the confusion, please accept my apologies :hug:

Annette x

Guest pandj6224
Awww sorry Pat, i didnt mean to offend anyone re the EN roll. The uk SEN was very much a nursing roll !!! I was talking about the Australian equivilent.

Sorry for the confusion, please accept my apologies :hug:

Annette x

Of course I will Annette.....SEN was the civilian sector and EN the Military version... I did wonder if you meant the Australian version, I too appologise if I was a little harsh....

Regards

Pat...

I was wondering about this aswel...but I dont think it'll count as it has to be experience in the occupation you've nominated i.e Registered Nurse...so pre-reg experience prob wont count.......hope someone proves me wrong tho as then I can apply :)

Might just plump for it and ask WA immi to see what they say. Woud be interesting to know if they count time served apprenticeships as work experience for trades.

Could be a controversial one when, as you know, a good 60%+ of your training is based on wards or similar working scenarios and you receive a bursary to do it.

Anyhow, best of luck with your journey.

Hey guys,

As I did Project 2000 and it was a diploma, not a degree, I have to send course certificates to AHPRA to prove that continuing education is at degree level. Was just wondering if anyone else has had to provide similar stuff and if so, was AHRPA cool with notorised certificates only - or do you somehow have to prove how many hours you spent on the courses etc? I emailed my case officer advisor lady and she replied with 'only CPD education at University level is required to assess your application.' but I'm worried that if I just send certificates, they'll ask for more info! I want everything to be spot on.

Hi Endotruducing,

I have just got my registration, but I had this same issue before I was granted it as I was informed by my case officer in not so many words that a degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on!

I basically sent her certified copies of all my ceertificates of every single study day that I had been on since qualifying. I also typed up an essay of a description of what each study day entailed. I know it sounds like stating the obvious, but my case worker told me that she needed more evidence to show that I was actually competent! Therefore, even for my ILS, I wrote that this was a course aimed at learning how to save someones life in a critical condition, learning how to recognise someone who could be about to arrest etc, and then continuing care post resus....

I did her a 4 page essay on my study days - I just thought that the more info I gave, the better, and less chance of her coming back for more!

I don't know really what Project 2000 is, but I had to send a transcript of clinical hours from university as even though I had sent her the one that I got when I graduated, apparently it wasn't good enough. The one sent from uni showed an indepth description of each module completed, and what each student placement entailed, and the number of hours completed for each placement and module. She didn't believe me when I told her that basically I couldn't qualify without completing a set number of hours - both placement and theory. So, I don't know if you have to send one of these, or if you already have but thought I would prepare you just in case they say you need one. I also had to pay uni £25 for them to do this for me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Danielle x

Guest loveaussies
Hi Endotruducing,

I have just got my registration, but I had this same issue before I was granted it as I was informed by my case officer in not so many words that a degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on!

I basically sent her certified copies of all my ceertificates of every single study day that I had been on since qualifying. I also typed up an essay of a description of what each study day entailed. I know it sounds like stating the obvious, but my case worker told me that she needed more evidence to show that I was actually competent! Therefore, even for my ILS, I wrote that this was a course aimed at learning how to save someones life in a critical condition, learning how to recognise someone who could be about to arrest etc, and then continuing care post resus....

I did her a 4 page essay on my study days - I just thought that the more info I gave, the better, and less chance of her coming back for more!

I don't know really what Project 2000 is, but I had to send a transcript of clinical hours from university as even though I had sent her the one that I got when I graduated, apparently it wasn't good enough. The one sent from uni showed an indepth description of each module completed, and what each student placement entailed, and the number of hours completed for each placement and module. She didn't believe me when I told her that basically I couldn't qualify without completing a set number of hours - both placement and theory. So, I don't know if you have to send one of these, or if you already have but thought I would prepare you just in case they say you need one. I also had to pay uni £25 for them to do this for me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Danielle x

Thanx for the info .....I can prepare them in Advance ...............You are a star..when did you applied to AHPRA for the first time??

Hi,

You are welcome for info, hope it helps and fingers crossed you might get yours without all extra hassle.

I originally sent my application at beginning of July this year to Melbourne...kept on calling to see if they had received it as I had been offered and accepted a job offer (was supposed to start 8th Nov!). Anyway, no avail when calling. Noone knew anything, just kept getting told told that 'no news is good news' which is bloody frustrating when you don't even know if they have received it!

Anyway, came here on 6th Oct and kept calling as advised to...told not even on the system, and that they weren't even dealing with overseas apps yet as didn't even have a system in place to process them! Then got a letter to say they had taken money. Called again, no info given. AFter numerous calls, then got told was being dealt with by Sydney as Melbourne were too busy to process my app. Finally got through to the case worker in Sydney. She told me that she hadn't received my IELTs cert and NMC good standing paperwork! They had lost them between Melbourne to Sydney! So had to get those sent over again. Also, my documents that I had all certified by a solicitor in the UK were not good enough - had to recopy everything and have it all certified by a JOP here, and they wanted more money! I tried the sob story saying I couldn't start my job and I had no money etc, but the case worker was a bit tough and showed no sympathy!

Phew!! A lot of hassle...and stress! Still not started the job but have registration as of this Monday just gone which is a big weight off my shoulders! Thought would never get it! It has only taken 5 months...!!!

When did you submit your paperwork and which state are you applying for?

Keep in there, I have had days after speaking to the case worker where I have just sobbed and actually thought about telling her where to stick her registration (after she told me that my diploma meant nothing!). When I did my training, 95% of the students were doing a diploma, for the simple faact of being guarenteed a bursary through training!

Just persevere with it, and keep me updated!

Danielle x