NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest Magnetic6

Hi Aimie

I think that's brilliant information from Angela. I was in a similar position, working under 20 hours a week when we first looked into migrating 18 months ago. At the time i was so disappointed to find out the requirements, it was like my numerous years as a midwife counted for nothing.

However i bit the bullet and increased my hours and the time has flown and i've used it productively, sitting my IELTS and even starting my degree! It's hard when you've got children, i've got 4 aged 10 downwards and it's been challenging at times but i'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

It's "doable" and the time has gone in the blink of an eye, scarey really!

Good luck with your plans

Natalie.

P.S. if you could get sponsorship QLD looks fab!

Guest edwardsfamily

hi there,

thanks for your post, advice and encouragement. its just a nightmare! my husband is already half way through his own PR application, but he is non csl so we just thought a 457 was a quicker way for us to get there, rather than waiting the god knows how much longer for the diac to speed up his visas again. we are already 2 years along the line for him, having done vetassess etc.

i dont think its going to be worth waiting til ive worked the whole year as we may as well just wait for his instead, the time scale being the same now.

but thankyou anyway. i had ielts booked for jan 23rd, but i may cancel it now....

it definately has to be perth for us, its where our family and friends are.

its just feels like its never going to happen.....:-(

Aimie xxx

Guest Magnetic6

Aimie i'm sure it will happen, i know it's just how long will it take....as Gill (Gollywobbler) often says Australia is not getting towed off somewhere. You will get there, it's just so frustrating! I don't blame you, if i had family and friends in a certain place that's where i'd want to head.

Good luck x

You could always contact the hospitals in Perth yourself, often the personal contact is the best way. When I got my job offer, I had contacted all the hospitals in Brisbane that had a children's unit via email with my CV, it took a bit of leg work, but it turned out that they were interviewing in Dublin at the time of the health jobs expo last September, so I went to that and then had a further telephone interview with the ward manager. The worst that can happen is that they say no to sponsorship, but at least it is a contact for when you do get out there!

The waiting is very frustrating, although my timeline looks short, we have been trying to do this for years and have been met with various obstacles along the way, so I appreciate how annoying it is - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your DH's application.

Guest chihiro

where should i send my demand for skill assesment ?

Our family have lodged a 175 visa application. My husband is the main applicant (linux expert so on CSL). I just got my nurse diploma in France (in november 09) and i am actually working as RN in a french hospital in order to get the 3 months work experience.

my question is should i ask for the ANMC skill assesment since we don't have our visa yet or to the QLD one because we plan to move to Brisbane ?

I already took the IELTS.

any idea ?

where should i send my demand for skill assesment ?

Our family have lodged a 175 visa application. My husband is the main applicant (linux expert so on CSL). I just got my nurse diploma in France (in november 09) and i am actually working as RN in a french hospital in order to get the 3 months work experience.

my question is should i ask for the ANMC skill assesment since we don't have our visa yet or to the QLD one because we plan to move to Brisbane ?

I already took the IELTS.

any idea ?

You don't need to have your skills assessed if you are applying under your husbands skills, you just need to register with the Queensland Nursing Council. The ANMC are only for assessing your skills if you were the main applicant, so you don't need to worry about them. Once you have your IELTS you can go ahead with the QNC registration. Good Luck with the IELTS!!!

Guest chihiro

thx for the info, it was all mixed up in my head !

and no need to wish me luck for the IELTS i already scored my four 7, all we are waiting for is the visa :biggrin:

Do you think i will have to pass some exams or training period as a newly gratuated ?

thx for the info, it was all mixed up in my head !

and no need to wish me luck for the IELTS i already scored my four 7, all we are waiting for is the visa :biggrin:

Do you think i will have to pass some exams or training period as a newly gratuated ?

ah great stuff about the IELTS :cute:

I know that some hospitals have graduate programmes, I would imagine that there may be a period of supervision that most new graduates get, but don't know to be honest... I'm sure that there will be someone else on here who will know!

Guest edwardsfamily

hi everyone,

just thought i would post to say i am still going to persevere with it all....your all right saying it will happen so made the decision to be proactive!!

have increased my hours at work to 25, booked my ielts for 30th january and just going to go for it. have been told that my hubby's PR visa could take until end of 2012 to be processed!! so am not going to sit around and wait for that!! may as well go for my PR too and see which comes first. Looking at some time lines it doesnt look too bad for nurses.

just in case anyone else comes on here with the same query i originally had, i have had information back from the NMBWA to say that to register with them, and to go on a 457 visa there is no minimum hours needed....so thats one thing at least.

thanks everyone for all your info etc

Aimie xxx

Guest nevergiveup

Hi

Joanne I am a 47 yr old nurse hoping to gain a sponsership out there in OZ.

Do you think age could be against me ???

have you heard of any nurses gaining sponserships at my age,or am i over the hill so to speak,

sorry if this question seems ridiculous

cheers

Guest Magnetic6

Hi Nevergiveup

I honestly don't think your age is a problem. The only "hiccup" is that some states have cut back on sponsorship, however we're led to believe the aussie economy is recovering so that won't last forever.

If you look at the official nurses thread loads of over 45's have gone through agencies on a 457 visa.

Good luck x x

Hi All!

I sent my application to the QNC last year in May... I thought they were going to grant it this January... I'm afraid, I was wrong...

This time, they are asking me to take the IELTS (Academic Band 7!)... They said I am not be given the waiver because I have not worked in a UK hospital for 6months during the last 12 months before they received my application (even though I was living and studiying 1st year in a UK university until Jun 09!!... I stopped working as a nurse in UK in Sep 08 and my application for the QNC was received in May 09... only 8monts... also I have worked in Uk for 8years...that doesn't count for them!)

My question is for CHIHIRO or someone who has done the IELTS already... I am doing it this Saturday... but I hardly had time to prepare it (only 10 days...).

Could you tell me how was your level of english initially? Did you have to seat the test several times? Did you need some support? How long did you study for it?

Thanks everyone for helping... in advance!!

OXO

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

The QNC are really strict aren't they, I know of a number of nurses that have had real problems with them, and they were certainly very picky with my application on things that the ANMC were not at all concerned about.

As for IELTS, I was lucky enough to get it first time round, I did a lot of studying for it, 6 weeks before hand to get my head around how the questions need to be answered, I used online study sites and bought the Peter May IELTS book that is on Amazon. I'm born and bred in the UK, but it was 8 years since I had done any type of proper studying for written papers, so felt I needed plenty of practice. There are a good number of people who haven't got it first time, you can see that there are a couple of threads going at the moment concerning this... I believe that it can be luck of the draw with the reading section as to what you get, some of the topics are very boring and make it hard to concentrate on the text.

Good luck with it all :)

Guest edwardsfamily

hi all,

did my IELTS today.....bloody hell!!! that was sooo stressful. like everyone else has said it was the reading that was so difficult...i'm pretty sure i haven't passed, but at least i will know what to expect for next time.

my advice would be to practice hard, but as with many things like this, you wont really know what to expect until you've done it.

and just for the record i was the only english person there i think!! its a joke and they all found it quite funny too!! Lol

xxx

Guest chihiro

sorry to answer so late, I hope it all went fine with the IELTS.

I had to take it twice cause the 1rst time like an idiot i took the general one. So 2 months later i was back there for the academic :swoon:

fortunately i manage to get my score right.

My advice would be to practise so you know the kind of questions, what they expect from you and you manage your time well.

Guest edwardsfamily

hi everyone,

i have now made up my mind to apply for PR and have my skills assessed.

have increased my hours to 25 hours a week. can anyone tell me how long i need to have done this for before i can apply?

thanks, Aimie x

Guest field87

Hi everyone,

my name is jasmine and i've just joined the forum today. I'm looking to make the move to OZ, I have been nursing for 18 months and am looking to gain a sponsorship ideally in western australia. Have been researching how to make the move for some time and i'm still no wiser!! Is it worth using an agent??? and how do you go about contacting hospitals about potential sponsorships? Or do you use a recruitment website like geneva health? SO MANY QUESTIONS !!!! I just need to know how to get the ball rolling!

Thanks

Jazz :biggrin:

Hi Jazz and welcome to PIO,

An agency will take the hassle out of the process for you but they do charge and to be honest though gathering all the info you need is a hastle its not too difficult to do it all yourself, I did so it cant be that hard lol. Your first step would be to google the hospitals in the area you want to migrate to and email them all asking about vacancies and thier sponsorship/relocation programme. Some areas of Australia are easier to get sponsorship than others so would it be possible for you to widen your search to other states or are you restricted to Western Australia. Also keep an eye open for any Australia Expo's that are coming to your area, they usually have a few nursing recruiting people there, that is how I got my job here in Brisbane. Once you have secured your job you will then need to register with the ANMC and from then on in your feet wont touch the ground till you get here lol.

Good luck with it all, it can be a long frustrating process and time consuming gathering all the necessary paperwork but it will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure there will be others along soon to expand on this info.

lynne

Guest field87

Thanks for the reply! I think we are going to try and organise it all ourselves the agencies that i've spoken to today are asking for silly amounts of cash! It looks pretty simple to do if you do you're research. However my partners an electrician and by the looks of it sorting him a job will be the hard bit. I'm thinking of going through a recruitment agency called mediserve have you heard of them? or know anyone who has used them? Also last question I promise... have you gone on a 457 visa if so how do you go about applying for permanent residency??

Thanks

Jasmine

Guest edwardsfamily
Hi Aimie

I did read somewhere that less places in Perth were offering sponsorship, as for the working hours, for PR you have to work for 12 months out of 24 months at 20 hours... I was in a similar situation as yourself in that I didn't meet the requirement due to maternity leave and a period of illness. We looked into the 457 visa and decided it wasn't for us. I just had to put my plans on hold and get on with the year at 20 hours to get PR. If you decide to do this, you will find that the year passes pretty quickly - with having to do IELTS etc for nursing you could be working at this during this time (depending on where you live this can be booked up well in advance), and even apply to the state nursing board (they are all joining together to form an australian nursing board in July), this would leave you in a position to do a modified skills assessment with the ANMC. I know it is frustrating, but there is so much that you can be doing in the mean time, like collecting documentation together and just generally getting your head around the whole process.

:)

Angela

hi there,

following on from Angela's post, i have since e mailed the ANMC and they have replied saying that i only need to have worked 20 hours or more for 3 months for a positive skills assessment, and not 12 out of 24 as Angela says.

Can anyone enlighten me as im a little nervous....!! :-)

thanks xxxx

Hi guys!

Quick question (its probably been answered on here but i've been reading for a couple of hours and still confused, sorry if i'm making anyone repeat themselves)

Do i have to get ANMC registration and QNC registration, or can i get the QNC and then do the modified skills assessment?

I'm newly qualified (well bout 6 months now but its flown by) and am applying for the grad programme in queensland in march.

Applied for WA last year when i was still a student and was told by fremantle hospital the wanted to give me a job but couldn't as they couldn't take international applicants - gutted is not the word! Could have been out there now!

But on reflection hadn't really sorted stuff out, am just about to apply for the IELTS test and then need to know what to do next, am hoping to have as much stuff sorted before the application as possible.

So, sit IELTS and then can they send my results to QNC, or what happens?

This is more complicated then my dissertation!

Thanks so much for any help guys, good luck with your plans everyone :cool:

Hi,

I am Newly Qualified (5months). You do your IELTS, the results get sent to QNC and you. Put in QNC application for registration, if you complete it all and label each document as they ask you to and you should be ok. ANMC is not registration, they are who you have your assessment with for visa purposes (didn't do anything with the ANMC as I came out on my husbands visa, so not much I can tell you about the process). Have you worked in the UK? As not sure you can apply for Graduate programme if you have?

Hope this helps.

Cathy.

hi there,

following on from Angela's post, i have since e mailed the ANMC and they have replied saying that i only need to have worked 20 hours or more for 3 months for a positive skills assessment, and not 12 out of 24 as Angela says.

Can anyone enlighten me as im a little nervous....!! :-)

thanks xxxx

Yes, you can get your skills assessment done after 3 months, but, as I said in my previous post, to meet the requirements for a PR visa regardless of your profession, you need to work 12 out of 24 months at 20 hours or more. Here is the exact wording from the DIAC website:

Recent work experience requirement

To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed:

* in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

* for at least 20 hours a week

* in a paid position

* for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application.

Link to relevant page:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)