NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest mpogr

Hi all,

We - my better half, our two kids (13 and 7) and I - are moving to Melbourne in the beginning of July (I've got the 457 visa). My wife is an R.N.B.A. and, obviously, wants to acquire registration in VIC. We have already read all the available materials on the net and this is what we found so far:

1. She will need to pass English test, either the academic IELTS or the special exam for nurses (BTW, I assume the latter is the easier one, is this correct?).
  2. She needs to provide a work reference (will be taken care of).
  3. She needs our (Israeli) registration board to send the statement of good standing directly to the Nursing Board of Victoria (this one is already taken care of).
  4. She needs some sort of approval that her professional qualification matches the equivalent Australian one.

Now, the last point is the tricky one. Obviously, we'll have all her diplomas and syllabus translated and notarized, but is this enough? We heard there is a need to approach some medical college with these materials, so they can examine them and make their verdict whether her qualification can be approved as is, or she needs to undertake some courses/exams. But this is all we know. We have no further details about this procedure.

Does anyone here have any experience of such kind? Any info/advice will be highly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Taylor72
I'm going through this process without a migration agent. Can anyone tell me which documents need to be colour/black and white copied for ANMC and DIAC

Hi im ready to start the visa and want to start to collect all the documents we need. Can anyone help my making a list , Thanks in advance x:wub:

Annette

Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help?!

I have my permanent visa for Australia, and am looking to make the move in October this year. Just been offered a job at the Alfred, Melbourne but am now looking to register...

The whole system has changed since it is now a national registration scheme, and the website is pants, and complicated! They are also not taking any calls at the moment which mean you have to e-mail them and then wait goodness knows how long to get a reply!

My queries are:

1. The website and application form for registration says that you have to have the IELTS certificate sent directly from the IELTS board...I however sat my English test in May 2010 and so have my origincal certificate, but need to know if I send a certified copy of it that it won't be returned to me as it isn't the original and/or not from the IELTS board.

2. I also have to have a certificate of good standing or registration status sent from the NMC direct to AHPRA...but how will they know when they get this, that this relates to my application?

3. How long does the whole registration process take? If I am moving there in October, and wanting to start my job November, will I be registered in time, and how do they send my registration to me?

I know this seems like I am asking a lot at once, but I am really confused and frustrated with an already tedious task being made even more tedious and difficult!

I appreciate any help or feedback on this!

Thank you,

Danielle xx

:arghh:

• 2 weeks later...

We are moving to Queensland in November. I am going on my husbands visa which is a 457 and so am arranging my registration myself. Can anyone tell me if I have to register with the ANMC as well as the Queensland Nursing Council?

Emma x

Hi Emma,

You only need to register with the ANMC for skills assesment in order to get a visa, but if your going on your husbands visa you wont need to do this, im going on my hubby's visa too so am in the same position, As of the begining of July most of the Australian nursing boards have merged so i think you now need to apply to AHPRA for registration, some of the states have yet to join so i would check to see if this applies to you, hope this helps, good luck, Cheryl.

I have just realised that my last post is a bit redundant as the QNC does not seem to exist anymore but I do have a new question. How on earth do I register with the ANMC?? I have been to the new website and cannot find any details of how to register as an international nurse. Help please!!

Emma

I have just realised that my last post is a bit redundant as the QNC does not seem to exist anymore but I do have a new question. How on earth do I register with the ANMC?? I have been to the new website and cannot find any details of how to register as an international nurse. Help please!!

Emma

Hi Emma,

To register you need AHPRA the new registration board not ANMC, ANMC deal only with skills assesment for visas if you google AHPRA, you should be directed to the website good luck. Cheryl.

Hi Emma,

To register you need AHPRA the new registration board not ANMC, ANMC deal only with skills assesment for visas if you google AHPRA, you should be directed to the website good luck. Cheryl.

Thanks Cheryl, I think I've found the application form now I just have to get together all the paperwork they want!!

Emma

• 2 weeks later...

Had interview with Knox Private Hospital in melbourne. Does anybody work there or know what it is like to work there as it is sounding hopeful. It would be the emergency dept but any info would be much appreciated.

Guest Andie33
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help?!

I have my permanent visa for Australia, and am looking to make the move in October this year. Just been offered a job at the Alfred, Melbourne but am now looking to register...

The whole system has changed since it is now a national registration scheme, and the website is pants, and complicated! They are also not taking any calls at the moment which mean you have to e-mail them and then wait goodness knows how long to get a reply!

My queries are:

1. The website and application form for registration says that you have to have the IELTS certificate sent directly from the IELTS board...I however sat my English test in May 2010 and so have my origincal certificate, but need to know if I send a certified copy of it that it won't be returned to me as it isn't the original and/or not from the IELTS board.

2. I also have to have a certificate of good standing or registration status sent from the NMC direct to AHPRA...but how will they know when they get this, that this relates to my application?

3. How long does the whole registration process take? If I am moving there in October, and wanting to start my job November, will I be registered in time, and how do they send my registration to me?

I know this seems like I am asking a lot at once, but I am really confused and frustrated with an already tedious task being made even more tedious and difficult!

I appreciate any help or feedback on this!

Thank you,

Danielle xx

:arghh:

Hi Danielle

Congratulations and well done! in answer to your query I would follow there requests to the letter as I am in the process of applying for Registration and I am facing the same issues, as I lodged it with QNC and its now changed to the APHRA, hard work isnt it! ;-) and I emailed something the other day only to find it returned with "this address is no longer valid" then ensued a long process of finding any contact info on that website (i dont think they want so many people to apply! lol :biggrin:

Anyhow, my advice is to contact where you did the IELTS and request they send a copy direct to APHRA, I did this on the forms for applying for IELTS, and it took 2 requests as the first result never made it??!...This is the only thing certainly the (QNC) would accept. and just to note i have since had my docs sent back asking for more info, but really its about not sending a passsport copy (even tho all my ID was certified and red stamped by a notary who said I wouldnt need it)..also they said a job description was not ok for roles and responsibilities so i am wading thro it all getting more information etc...so anyhow im just trying to say do everythng by the book in the first place, its much easier even tho its a nigtmare....and costly! :mad:

I have to say that with regards to the NMC confirmation - they sent mine to QNC ahead of my application and it did get there by some miracle so try not to worry about it. Also I think they must assign you a "nurse number" once they get any docs for you to keep track of who you are..

im sorry i dont know about how long it takes, only that people have timelines on here where it looks average 3/4 months which would be ok for you. Good luck

Andie :jiggy:

Hi fellow nurses,

I have a successful skills assessment from ANMC, does anyone know if it is possible for them to send my info onto AHPRA, as it frustrating that is mainly the same information required? Sorry to say, but glad I'm not the only one struggling with this all, especially as my hubbie keeps telling me we don't need a migration agent (but I'm doing all the work!)

Gill x

Guest Magnetic6

Hi Gill, i'm in the same boat.

I had my skills assessed by the ANMC last year and i've purposely put off registering until the boards amalgamated as we've been uncertain which state we're moving to, hence i thought it would be easier to wait :wacko:

I've contacted the ANMC who are happy to forward my file to AHPRA as i think it should contain everything they need. The only extra document i was going to send was my CV and possibly a certified copy of my passport as i can't remember including this last time, but will check.

I've emailed AHPRA twice over the last couple of weeks to see if this would be ok and haven't had a reply. So i'm going to wing it and see, my plan is to fill out the application form, payment and CV with a note attached saying that they should receive everything else they require fom the ANMC.

No doudt if they need anything else they'll ask and at least i'll be in the queue!

Guest Andie33

Hi all,

that is a really good way to do it, im thinking more and more I should got my skills assessment first, as I started with the QNC and now i appear to be lost in the system which is how many 100's deep I bet. I too havent had an email reply for around 2 weeks plus, but i think overseas apps must be down on the list of prirorities, as I was googling and found a comment by the pharmacists association saying there was a big problem with the AHPRA's IT system, oh Joy! i can only imagine, anyhow take heart everyone, we will get there...;-)

In answer to Gill - I had a letter from the now old QNC, stating clearly that you can request the ANMC send info onto them (a lot cheaper ;-)...also I emailed the QNC and had a reply back saying I could make a request in writing for them to forward my docs onto the ANMC (cos i have done it the other way around).

Really really good to know im not the only one, my head is spinning and I keep thinking gosh is it worth it?!...but I have wanted to go to Oz for sooooooo long, that i have to keep going.

Chin up everyone, remember, we are british after all! lol:laugh:

Andie x

Hi Gill, i'm in the same boat.

I had my skills assessed by the ANMC last year and i've purposely put off registering until the boards amalgamated as we've been uncertain which state we're moving to, hence i thought it would be easier to wait :wacko:

I've contacted the ANMC who are happy to forward my file to AHPRA as i think it should contain everything they need. The only extra document i was going to send was my CV and possibly a certified copy of my passport as i can't remember including this last time, but will check.

I've emailed AHPRA twice over the last couple of weeks to see if this would be ok and haven't had a reply. So i'm going to wing it and see, my plan is to fill out the application form, payment and CV with a note attached saying that they should receive everything else they require fom the ANMC.

No doudt if they need anything else they'll ask and at least i'll be in the queue!

Hi ya,

Thanks for this. I am at the same stage. Good idea, i'm goin to do the same. Just in the middle of updating my CV and then everything will get sent off. Apparently you need to have at least applied for registration before applying for SS if thats the route anyone else is going down... So I need to get my skates on.

For anyone else if you use your login details on ANMC website, you can click on the request button to forward all paperwork on.

Cool.

x

Guest Magnetic6

I've completed the application form this afternoon but when i try and access certain pages of the AHPRA website, it won't let me log on to them. For example to check the current fees etc.

It's really bugging me now, anyone had a similar problem? x

Guest Andie33

No its not us, I read theres a problem with the IT system, just hoping and praying they sort it soon so we can all get there before 2015!...i just look at it like oh well it gives me more time to contemplate the decision (and save the dosh, again im trying to look on the positive side...not easy being a whinging pom, esp a nurse!! lol:wink:

Thanks for that though, all helpful stuff

Andie

I've completed the application form this afternoon but when i try and access certain pages of the AHPRA website, it won't let me log on to them. For example to check the current fees etc.

It's really bugging me now, anyone had a similar problem? x

Just been on APHRA website, it is $220 for overseas assessments.

Just need to fill the form in now and get all sent off.

x

Guest Magnetic6

I've just logged on to AHPRA and not had a problem this evening.

As well as the assessment fee as mentioned above, the application fee is $115 and registration fee $115 for a full year, but less depending on when you apply.

Anyone else struggling with Q5 & 6?

For residential address i've put where i'm currently living in the UK but don't know what to put for Q6, i haven't got a principle place of practice/employment in Australia, as i haven't got a job yet :arghh:

Could somebody please have a look at these 2 questions and see what you think?

Thank you :notworthy:

Guest Magnetic6

Just a quick update, i've had an email from AHPRA saying that it's fine to have the ANMC forward my file. I just need to send the application form, payment and current CV.

I presume if there's anything missing from the file, they'll ask for it.

Guest Liverpool lou
Just a quick update, i've had an email from AHPRA saying that it's fine to have the ANMC forward my file. I just need to send the application form, payment and current CV.

I presume if there's anything missing from the file, they'll ask for it.

Thats good news, Ive been looking into completing my registration and try to search for information.

Like so many other people I am frustrated with it all. :arghh: I sent an email to both ANMC and AHPRA ages ago and never got any reply. I suppose they are unindated with queries at the moment.

One question..I did my skills assessment in August last year then did IELTS in December. Should I contact my IELTS centre and ask if they could forward my certificate onto AHPRA or should I get a certified copy of it?

Its comforting to know I am not the only one in this situation and hope it all gets sorted out very soon.

Does anyone know if NMC registration can continue when outside the UK or will I have to leave the register? My concern is that if we return to the Uk for any reason then it would be a hassel to get back onto the NMC register. Im not being negative about emigrating but seem to be looking at all potential problems. I guess thats because these types of things are so frustrating and not easy

Guest Magnetic6

Hi

Don't send a certified copy, it states somewhere that it has to come directly from the test centre. It won't be a problem, i think they charge £5.

I've just started wondering about my Uk registration, i'm pretty certain you wouldn't be expected to leave the register so long as you're meeting all the requirements.

I'm a midwife and it gets a bit more complicated because of Supervision, i'll give the NMC a call. I rang them the other day over something and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Good luck!! x