NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi Ali

My wife is a midwife we have our PR Visa coming over to Bris in July she has sent all her form to the ANMC now needs to apply to Queensland council if you are saying the ANMC will pass on her details how does she go about getting this done??

Many thanks

David & Heather

Hi David,

Contact the ANMC and ask them to forward the file to the QLD board for you. You'll then be able to get the application for licence to practise on line and send it off (with more money I'm afraid)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

I am Nurse with 25 years experience- Acute Medical and i would like to work on the bank at first, maybe a couple of nights a week in and around Brisbane, has anyone had any experience over this and whats the pay like, i would also work on days if those shifts are easier to come by. I am currently a band 6 ward sister, but would work as a Staff Nurse. Thanks for any help, helen.

Guest golden grahams

hi. couple of questions answered in one.

if you use your NMC registartion and then register with which ever nursing board you need i.e WA, NBV etc, once registerd you can use this to get skills assessed. you will need transcripts of original traning from your college/uni to get registartion with nursing board. this does turn out to be the cheaper option, not by much, but a little.

in regard to employee sponsered- independent, it has to be your descion, but from my own experience i waited a while in the uk to get indenpendant, rather than take the quicker option of employee, am so gald i did, we now get medical cover, child care and family assistance, (this was not the reason we waited), i wanted the option of trying an employer and not being tied, am in a lucky position now that if i want to apply for another position then i can swap/ change at my decsion. ( this obviously is my take, i have met load of nurses, that chose the employee sponsered, they appear just as happy as me)

Hello folks. I can imagine this has been asked before, but I've been unable to find the answer so far, so thought I'd just ask: I've just applied to do the IELTS for June this year, but was wondering at what point I should send off the ANMC Skills Assessment paperwork? Should I wait for the IELTS result, or send off the skills assessment stuff before I've sat the test? It does seem as though I should apply for the skills assessment before sitting the test as the results are to be sent directly to the ANMC. I hope this makes sense. I thought I'd got my head around this stuff from reading these forums, but now I've actually started this process I'm getting a bit confused. Any advice or reassurance would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Chris

Guest edwardsfamily

hi all,

i have yet another question which has been briefly answered before but i am still stuck....!!

i am trying to register with nmbwa to apply for a 457. what do i need in the employment letter from my current employer with regards to how much i work?

i currently only work 15 hours but am trying to top it up with bank if i need to. however, am i right in thinking that you only need to specify hours worked if you are going through anmc for skills assessment for 175 visa? and for just registration you dont need to specify hours worked?

or have i got this completely wrong????

i dont plan on going for 175 as my husband is waiting for his 176, so we are just on my 457 to get out to oz a bit quicker....

thanks everyone,

Aimie & Brian xxx

hi all,

i have yet another question which has been briefly answered before but i am still stuck....!!

i am trying to register with nmbwa to apply for a 457. what do i need in the employment letter from my current employer with regards to how much i work?

i currently only work 15 hours but am trying to top it up with bank if i need to. however, am i right in thinking that you only need to specify hours worked if you are going through anmc for skills assessment for 175 visa? and for just registration you dont need to specify hours worked?

or have i got this completely wrong????

i dont plan on going for 175 as my husband is waiting for his 176, so we are just on my 457 to get out to oz a bit quicker....

thanks everyone,

Aimie & Brian xxx

My first question is, if your hubby has applied for 175 - then you'll surely be on his visa application and therefore won't need a 457 visa.

To register with nmbwa - you will need to prove English proficiency

Nurses and Midwives Board of Western Australia - Registration Process for Internationally Qualified Applicants

Your letter from HR should state, how long you have been employed for and at what level (band), and the hours you are contracted to work - they won't include any bank hours you work as they aren't your contracted hours. If there is someone who is in charge of Bank Nursing, they could write a letter stating the hours that you have regularly worked and over what period of time

Guest edwardsfamily

thanks....

his PR is expected to take another 2 years as he is non csl.....dont really want to wait that long!!

so we can wait for his while we go on my 457.

Is there a minimum hours i need to have worked?

thanks again,

Aimie xxx

Hello folks. I can imagine this has been asked before, but I've been unable to find the answer so far, so thought I'd just ask: I've just applied to do the IELTS for June this year, but was wondering at what point I should send off the ANMC Skills Assessment paperwork? Should I wait for the IELTS result, or send off the skills assessment stuff before I've sat the test? It does seem as though I should apply for the skills assessment before sitting the test as the results are to be sent directly to the ANMC. I hope this makes sense. I thought I'd got my head around this stuff from reading these forums, but now I've actually started this process I'm getting a bit confused. Any advice or reassurance would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Chris

If you send your stuff off to ANMC at the same time you sit the IELTS, by the time it gets there your reslults will be through(13 days after test).As correctly stated,You are supposed to get IELTS people to send results directly to them.However,if you wanted to wait for your results to see for yourself,you can contact the at a later stage and they will still forward your results which is what I did.ANMC will keep your application on file pending receipt of all required docs.

thanks....

his PR is expected to take another 2 years as he is non csl.....dont really want to wait that long!!

so we can wait for his while we go on my 457.

Is there a minimum hours i need to have worked?

thanks again,

Aimie xxx

I am sure that there is no minimum hours required fo registration(for QNC anyhow) as I did exactly that with varying hours of bank work only.You only need the minimum of 20 hours per week if you are applying for PR.If you already have a sponsor then you should work for a year in OZ doing the minimum and then apply for PR in your name,providing of course there are no new changes at DIAC within that time.

I am sure that there is no minimum hours required fo registration(for QNC anyhow) as I did exactly that with varying hours of bank work only.You only need the minimum of 20 hours per week if you are applying for PR.If you already have a sponsor then you should work for a year in OZ doing the minimum and then apply for PR in your name,providing of course there are no new changes at DIAC within that time.

Cobblers 457 you have to work full time no ifs or buts and thats 40 hour a week

Cobblers 457 you have to work full time no ifs or buts and thats 40 hour a week

The OP is asking how many hours she needed to have workrd in order to register NOT how many hours she must work once she accepts sponsorship,monumental difference!

IIf you already have a sponsor then you should work for a year in OZ doing the minimum and then apply for PR in your name,providing of course there are no new changes at DIAC within that time.

Sorry, this is the bit that confused me - I thought you were suggesting you could work minimum hours (or part time) on a sponsored 457. Hence my reply, about working full time.

Guest The Gore Family
ANy questions on registrations?

hi hope some one can help

my wife is a midwife and we have got PR Visa all info went to AMNC and we want them to pass info to Qnc which is were we are going to live.

she passed the IELTs test in March 2009 which we where told was what she needed to get the visa & get reged with QNC. we have now gone to get info sent from ANMC to QNC but the QNC are saying she needs to have the academic test done not the general? even though this only came into force in June or so, so after she did her test.

Can anyone help with info or will she have to sit another test.

many thanks

David & Heather:no:

Sadly David the QNC are full of sh1t and many of us are experiencing continual problems with them and she has no choice but to do it.I sat my General in Feb then had to do Academic in June for same reason.Mine has subsequently been declined or rather referred to the Competency section who are actually going to be disbanded end of June.They said that the theoretical content of my Midwifery transcripts was not on par with the Australian one.I qualified in 1989 in Scotland so long before the degree type courses now.

Anyhow in case you were not aware,in July this year,all of the nursing boards in Australia will be amalgamating into one common body with the same set of rules.If you are not in a hurry to register then in may be beneficial to wait.Regardless,an Academic IELTS is now compusory even for ANMC.

Good luck

Shirley

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi everyone,

I am Nurse with 25 years experience- Acute Medical and i would like to work on the bank at first, maybe a couple of nights a week in and around Brisbane, has anyone had any experience over this and whats the pay like, i would also work on days if those shifts are easier to come by. I am currently a band 6 ward sister, but would work as a Staff Nurse. Thanks for any help, helen.

Hi has anyone got any info on this, i would appreciate anyones help.

helen/

Hi has anyone got any info on this, i would appreciate anyones help.

helen/

sorry Helen cannot help but bumping up your post to see if anyone else comes along to help.

Have you tried the British expats site as there are quite a few experienced nurses on that forum?

I don't know about Brisbane, but we don't have a bank system as it is in the UK. To cover shifts, people are usually asked to work overtime, they use agency staff or have a casual pool. It may be worth your signing up with an agency, the down fall is that you wouldn't necessarily always get offered work at the same hospital/unit and may have to travel about a bit.

Guest edwardsfamily

hiya,

thanks everyone.

however my agent has insisted that even to register with nmbwa, to get a 457, i have to prove im doing 20 hours. i am really stressing as i only work 15 hours per week. i have 2 young children!! however i am about to start an extra 5 hours now just to get my letter from HR and will have to do this for at least 3 months. and all the time that takes is just delaying us getting there. of course my hubby's visa could magically pop up in that time (not likely!). Im really struggling to get these hours and having to go all over the place as i work for a large PCT, casuing even more stress!

any ideas???

thanks again

Aimie xxx

Guest guest30038
Hi everyone,

Hi Helen,

I work at the Prince Charles Hospital (TPCH) in Brisbane ON THE Cardiology and Heart Failure and Transplant Unit. I also relieve as Duty Nurse Manager at the hospital so am very familiar with the Casual Pool and the Permanent Pool (which if my memory serves me right is Bank nursing in the UK.)

At TPCH we have a large number of both casual call in and permanent pool RNs. A small number are on permanent nights and the rest are on earlies and lates, and not required to do nights. You would have no trouble getting a job on the pool at TPCH. We have just undertaken a big expansion in services over a 3 year period which included a 30 bed General Medical ward, and in April this year another Gen Med ward will open.

Your skills and experience in that area would be much appreciated. On the Pool though you would only be paid as a Level One RN so would will have to look up the pay bands for Qld Health public hospitals. I earn $38 per hour as a Level 2 top increment. The Prince Charles alloqwed me to transfer my UK increments when I first started but not my level.

I hope this is is helpful to you.

Regards, Bridget

Guest Magnetic6
hiya,

thanks everyone.

however my agent has insisted that even to register with nmbwa, to get a 457, i have to prove im doing 20 hours. i am really stressing as i only work 15 hours per week. i have 2 young children!! however i am about to start an extra 5 hours now just to get my letter from HR and will have to do this for at least 3 months. and all the time that takes is just delaying us getting there. of course my hubby's visa could magically pop up in that time (not likely!). Im really struggling to get these hours and having to go all over the place as i work for a large PCT, casuing even more stress!

any ideas???

thanks again

Aimie xxx

Hi Aimie

Despite what your agent has told you i would email or telephone the nmbwa directly and get the requirements from them. I wasn't aware of the 20hr/wk stipulation for a 457 and not sure if it's the case?

Good luck x

P.S. Try starting a new thread and you might get more responses, as great as this one is things tend to get "lost"on it.

Guest edwardsfamily

thanks everyone for all the advice....however i have been told today that there are no sponsership opportunities in perth at all at the moment, and haven't been for over a year! anyone know if this is correct info as it was given to me by a recruitment agency?

am now totally deflated :-( and not sure where to go next. Am thinking of applying for PR through anmc, but due to me only working 15 hours for the past 5 years, does anyone know if 3 months of 20 hours would be enough?

thanks,

Aimie xxx

thanks everyone for all the advice....however i have been told today that there are no sponsership opportunities in perth at all at the moment, and haven't been for over a year! anyone know if this is correct info as it was given to me by a recruitment agency?

am now totally deflated :-( and not sure where to go next. Am thinking of applying for PR through anmc, but due to me only working 15 hours for the past 5 years, does anyone know if 3 months of 20 hours would be enough?

thanks,

Aimie xxx

Hi Aimie

I did read somewhere that less places in Perth were offering sponsorship, as for the working hours, for PR you have to work for 12 months out of 24 months at 20 hours... I was in a similar situation as yourself in that I didn't meet the requirement due to maternity leave and a period of illness. We looked into the 457 visa and decided it wasn't for us. I just had to put my plans on hold and get on with the year at 20 hours to get PR. If you decide to do this, you will find that the year passes pretty quickly - with having to do IELTS etc for nursing you could be working at this during this time (depending on where you live this can be booked up well in advance), and even apply to the state nursing board (they are all joining together to form an australian nursing board in July), this would leave you in a position to do a modified skills assessment with the ANMC. I know it is frustrating, but there is so much that you can be doing in the mean time, like collecting documentation together and just generally getting your head around the whole process.

Alternatively, if you are not 100% set on Perth, there are places in QLD that are still offering sponsorship on 457's, as far as I am aware your hours worked previously do not matter for that visa, but you do have to work full time once in Australia on this visa.

Oh and I noticed that there are some more of the "Health Jobs around the World" Expos happening in March, Visit Expo - Health Jobs Around the World Expo you might be able to find out if any WA hospitals will be attending that.

:)

Angela