NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi All,

I've been copying all my certificates, ready to get them notorised and then out of the blue today I got an email from my AHPRA lady, saying that they've received my IELTS results and she will post an 'Eligible for Registration' letter to me. Does this mean that when I get the letter I can start applying for jobs or am I not even close to that stage yet?

Hi All,

I've been copying all my certificates, ready to get them notorised and then out of the blue today I got an email from my AHPRA lady, saying that they've received my IELTS results and she will post an 'Eligible for Registration' letter to me. Does this mean that when I get the letter I can start applying for jobs or am I not even close to that stage yet?

Hi

You can start applying for jobs now. The eligibility is the best your gonna get until you have proof of address in oz and your visa. All you will need to do with be provide certain documents at the AHPRA office and they then take another few days to process your full registration. So whatever you do, do not loose the contact details of you case manager.

Goodluck, i certainly feel it was worth all the stress, tears and tantrums.

:biggrin:

My apologies if this has been covered i have not read every post on this thread. Does anybody know if SA are after 5yrs experience and if APHPRA accept diploma educated nurses?? We orginally wanted WA but I dont have the 7ys exp they are now after for a PR visa. I have a positive skills ass with ANMC and filled out all the info online for SA sponsorerd skills visa but somewhere i read that you needs 5yrs?? and then it looks like you have to apply to APHRA as you have to show proof of registration and read something about diploma nurses being accepted in 2014. Sorry im not dim but some of these website are not very clear!! I want to submit my application to SA but need to clarify these first. + will my ielts be forwarded to APHRA from ANMC as it asks for it to be sent directly to them but i took it ages ago. Am i making sense or just rambling!!

I have emailed both parties but dont know when i will get a reply.

Anyone!!

Lisa

Lisa: I'm looking forward to hearing your replies. We are hoping for WA in 2012 will have 4 years experience but will be going down the 457 route. I'm also a diplome nurse so really keen to find out if il have to do my degree first!! Good luck with it all!

Does anyone know how long the IELTS exam results last?? If I sat it just now do the results expire a certain amount of time after if you don't apply for registration/visas? Too early to apply for reg as nit going till around October 2012 but if I could get the IELTS exam out the way just now that will be one less thing to worry about! Also is it to early to apply to aphra one year before wanting to move? I've saw the waiting times people have been waiting and wouldn't want to leave it too late and then not be able to move on the date we have planned!

Thanks

Thanks Sharon! i thought it would have an expiration date around 2 years! ... i see you done yours in october 2009 and only now just applied for your visa, im really confused about when to apply for things and the more i read the more confused i get!

For moving around october 2012 do you think it would be best to start the process around october 2011? IELTS first, then sklls assesment, APHRA reg aroung january 2012 and then sponser/visa?

the thing im worried most about applying too early for is the APHRA reg, i wouldnt want to apply and then receive registration months before we move and then have it lapse as I havent worked a certain amount of hour in oz! anyone any suggestions of henbest to apply for reg for moving around october 2012?

last question, promise!..is there such a thing as a APHRA check list, with all documents required for reg..ive been reading theses posts for days now and making a list of peoples suggestions but i wouldnt want to forget something!

I can feel this i going to be a very stressful 20months!

thanks,kelly

Guest pandj6224
Thanks Sharon! i thought it would have an expiration date around 2 years! ... i see you done yours in october 2009 and only now just applied for your visa, im really confused about when to apply for things and the more i read the more confused i get!

For moving around october 2012 do you think it would be best to start the process around october 2011? IELTS first, then sklls assesment, APHRA reg aroung january 2012 and then sponser/visa?

the thing im worried most about applying too early for is the APHRA reg, i wouldnt want to apply and then receive registration months before we move and then have it lapse as I havent worked a certain amount of hour in oz! anyone any suggestions of henbest to apply for reg for moving around october 2012?

last question, promise!..is there such a thing as a APHRA check list, with all documents required for reg..ive been reading theses posts for days now and making a list of peoples suggestions but i wouldnt want to forget something!

I can feel this i going to be a very stressful 20months!

thanks,kelly

Honestly, I believe you should start sooner rather than later, 2011 is here, well almost and honestly don't expect anything to be plain sailing, 2012 is only a stone's throw away, include everything........Stress, the highs are really high and the lows really low so just be prepared for that and if your case is really simple and goes through fast I'd consider that a real bonus but remember AHPRA is taking it's time and also DIAC are alot of the time hit and miss, well from our point of view anyway....

Good Luck......

Pat

Always Er on the side of caution until everythings gone through and you have that Visa Grant in your hand......

Guest Guest 47403

Hi my wife is a nurse and we're just starting to apply for everything can someone just clarify for me the whole process the way I see it it's pretty much as below, we're looking at coming out on a 457 visa.

IELTS, AMNC then AHPRA registartion at this point she can start applying for jobs?

thank you

Hi all,

I have two questions. Firstly regarding ANMC Skills Assessment.

ANMC state:

Employment statement/s stating dates of employment for the past five (5) years. You will need to provide evidence of recency of practise of at least 3 months (full time equivalent) within the last 5 years. If your dates of employment are not on your professional reference and/or you have worked for different employers within the last 5 years, you will need statements that detail the dates of employment as a registered nurse or midwife. This statement usually comes from Human Resources or Payroll at your organisation. We do not accept pay slips or employment contracts.

My professional reference includes my employment dates and I have only worked for that employer. So do I need to provide an employment statement at all?

Secondly, regarding my 176 Visa application.

DIAC states:

Evidence to attach to your application

At the time of making your application, you must lodge with the department:

• a certified copy of a positive skills assessment issued by a relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation
  • certified copies of all the documents you provided to the assessing body including:
    • your post-secondary qualifications, such as your degree or diploma certificate and your transcripts or mark sheets

Three of my documents that I have provided for my skills assessment - IELTS results, course transcript, and NMC verification certificate, have been sent straight to the ANMC from those institutions. How do I obtain certified copies of these documents??

If anyone who has been this process or can help in anyway regarding these two questions, then I would really appreciate it.

Guest Chr1s07

Hi, I HAVE EMBOLDENED THE SECTION I BELIEVE I WILL GET ANSWERS TO IN THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM

I am a new member looking for some advice on the emigration process.

For the past 8 months I have been researching visas/employment options/ cities to live and costs of living. However, there are some things I simply can’t get my head around.

The first major stumbling block for my partner and I was the Visa. I am an employment adviser (aged 24, with 2 years experience in my field)/ she is a registered nurse (aged 22, with 6 months post reg experience). We recognised that our best options would be to focus on her occupation since we are led to believe there is a demand for nurses in Australia. Nonetheless, each time we looked at permanent visas she did not meet the requirements.

This has led us to the position of now pursuing an temporary employer sponsored visa. Having researched the various visa types I was less keen on this visa since I disliked the temporary nature and felt the employer held all the power. Would people suggest that we fly out on a working holiday visa and look for an employer to sponsor her whilst in the country? What are the chances of not finding sponsorship at all? Can the employer terminate her contract at any time and we have to leave? Are the wages less when employer sponsored?

How does her employer sponsored visa affect me and my employment prospects? I understand that I have the right to work, but will the temporary nature of her visa affect any jobs I might apply for and subsequent salary I might expect to achieve?

This de-facto status is another issue I am unsure of. We have lived together for 2 years in June when we plan to leave and will be setting up an apartment together when we arrive in Australia on the Working Holiday visa in July. Will a rental agreement/council tax bill and joint back account with £20,000 of joint savings suffice proof we live together. What are the next steps for say when she starts in work and gets an employer sponsored visa? Do I have to then apply for a de-facto visa of some kind? Can this be done immediately without me having to return home.

The next part of my post is very specific knowledge I am requesting so I will post this in another section of the forum as well.

Nursing registration is something that has baffled me from the start. Currently my girlfriend is registered as a UK nurse and works in a prison running a sort of triage clinic.

She has studied a 4 years honours degree and graduated earlier this year with an upper second class degree. At the moment she has 6 months experience and will have 1 full year by the time we leave in June/July this year. This limited experience is the main stumbling block to securing a more permanent visa. Now from what I’ve read each region in Australia has a different regulatory body ( I think) ? How do you begin the process of applying to become a registered nurse in Australia? What’s the name of the organisation? How long does the process take? She would like to be registered for arriving in June/July. Is she required to sit a skills assessment? I have read conflicting information about exemptions being granted for skills assessment and English language assessments depending on specific circumstances? She graduated from a top UK university and English is her native tongue. Can someone perhaps elaborate a little further on exactly what is required to get registration and am I correct in thinking there are exemptions for certain people?

We are very interested in setting up in the Brisbane area of Australia. Can someone kindly name any prisons in the Brisbane area? How do the prisons in Australia recruit? Are they run by the state or private companies? What is general salary range for working in this environment?

Another area I am unsure of would be gaining sponsorship from a hospital in the public sector. Do state hospitals in the Brisbane area sponsor?

Finally, we have booked tickets to attend an expo in London this coming March. Would anyone recommend this as a good means to securing employment?

I realise this post is lengthy, but to anyone who replies with answers to any of my questions I do very much appreciate it. Moving to Australia is no walk in the park and for someone like myself who is keen to have a thought out and well informed plan it’s just sooo sooo time consuming and complicated so any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Chris

Guest Supergrover5

Hi there - I am going through the same thing (registering with the nurses board or at least getting to grips with the forms) at the moment. I have decided to go through a nursing recruitment agency and they have been invaluable at no cost to me! They guide you through the whole process and check your forms before you send them off.

My understanding is that you apply for registration as an overseas qualified nurse - see NMBA website and that if you have gained your quals in English (taken and assessed) this makes you exempt from the IELTS test. Of course you have to provide certified (by a public notary) copies of everything and original transcripts from the NMC but this is going Ok for me.

My friend is a nurse and has been over in Oz for four years and she reassured me that the process is a nightmare but you do get there eventually.

Hope this helps and if you need any further help or just want to chat with someone who is "in the same boat" just get back to me..........in the meantime - Good Luck with your application x

Guest Guest 47403

On the ANMC skills assesment it states that they need Transcript of training (this includes theory and practical hours and/or experience)

Would this be obtained from where the training was carried out in our case Leeds University?

yes, AHPRA have just requested the same doc from my OH. The single sided transcript that we sent that the OH got when she completed her training wasnt good enough so we went on the Uni website and requested a full overseas transcript, cost £60 also the robbing gits !!!!!!

Guest Guest 47403
yes, AHPRA have just requested the same doc from my OH. The single sided transcript that we sent that the OH got when she completed her training wasnt good enough so we went on the Uni website and requested a full overseas transcript, cost £60 also the robbing gits !!!!!!

OH has been on the phone today to Leeds Uni and only going to cost us £20 lol

They said they will send it directly to AMNC which is fine but when should we get them to send it? ie when we send off the rest of the skills assesment so we have a reference number or something. Getting more confused!!

Guest Guest 47403
Hi all,

I have two questions. Firstly regarding ANMC Skills Assessment.

ANMC state:

Employment statement/s stating dates of employment for the past five (5) years. You will need to provide evidence of recency of practise of at least 3 months (full time equivalent) within the last 5 years. If your dates of employment are not on your professional reference and/or you have worked for different employers within the last 5 years, you will need statements that detail the dates of employment as a registered nurse or midwife. This statement usually comes from Human Resources or Payroll at your organisation. We do not accept pay slips or employment contracts.

My professional reference includes my employment dates and I have only worked for that employer. So do I need to provide an employment statement at all?

Secondly, regarding my 176 Visa application.

DIAC states:

Evidence to attach to your application

At the time of making your application, you must lodge with the department:

• a certified copy of a positive skills assessment issued by a relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation

• certified copies of all the documents you provided to the assessing body including:

• your post-secondary qualifications, such as your degree or diploma certificate and your transcripts or mark sheets

Three of my documents that I have provided for my skills assessment - IELTS results, course transcript, and NMC verification certificate, have been sent straight to the ANMC from those institutions. How do I obtain certified copies of these documents??

If anyone who has been this process or can help in anyway regarding these two questions, then I would really appreciate it.

Hi we're not as far on with our application as you so this might be wrong but I have read in other posts that you can request those documents are sent by the by the ANMC to DIAC, hopefully someone more in the know will confirm this.

Guest robnnic

Harringtons: Hi, i have been advised to get uni to send the transcript and the nmc to send registration as the first thing to organise because it can take 6 weeks...apparently they have a system where it all goes under your name and address and as each thing arrives to them they put it together.

JenPen87: Hi, you will have requested the NMC to send your registration confirmation to the ANMC direct along with the uni transcript and the IELTS results so this is fine and certified. The other documents it will be indicating is your marriage cert (?), passport photo, your entry onto the nursing register needs to be certified, i have also got my NMC photocopy certified and my passport...just in case...i don't want them coming to and fro for information.

This is what i understand anyway, sorry if it isn't accurate, but i hope it helps.

Nic.x.

Guest Tixiwoo

Hi there,

Just wondering what type of agency you are using? I'm just starting the whole migration journey and it all seems so confusing!

Guest Guest 47403
Harringtons: Hi, i have been advised to get uni to send the transcript and the nmc to send registration as the first thing to organise because it can take 6 weeks...apparently they have a system where it all goes under your name and address and as each thing arrives to them they put it together.

JenPen87: Hi, you will have requested the NMC to send your registration confirmation to the ANMC direct along with the uni transcript and the IELTS results so this is fine and certified. The other documents it will be indicating is your marriage cert (?), passport photo, your entry onto the nursing register needs to be certified, i have also got my NMC photocopy certified and my passport...just in case...i don't want them coming to and fro for information.

This is what i understand anyway, sorry if it isn't accurate, but i hope it helps.

Nic.x.

Thank you

Guest Supergrover5

Hi Tixiwoo - I'm using "Geneva International" at the mo - a nursing recruitment agency although there are many others. So far I have recieved some good advice, all the forms I need with explanations and most importantly they do not moither you continuously!

Guest thewhyman

hi all, yet another confused newbie here wanting to pick the brains of all you people who have made what seems to be the nightmare journey to work in oz as a nurse. my OH and me are just starting to research the possibility of moving out there and are doing a reccy in nov this year. OH is a diploma trained nurse with 6 months experience and we're looking at moving to melbourne. OH has 2 aunties with PR or maybe citizenship who will sponsor us. are the chances good with OH experience or is there a minimum amount of years. what sort of wage would she expect to earn at first? i'm a lift engineer by trade but working for British telecom at mo due to redundancy so OH will be main applicant due to SOP requirements on previous job experience.

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated, as i'm sure you can understand, the information overload you get when you first start on this long journey can be overwhelming

thanks

Guest robnnic
hi all, yet another confused newbie here wanting to pick the brains of all you people who have made what seems to be the nightmare journey to work in oz as a nurse. my OH and me are just starting to research the possibility of moving out there and are doing a reccy in nov this year. OH is a diploma trained nurse with 6 months experience and we're looking at moving to melbourne. OH has 2 aunties with PR or maybe citizenship who will sponsor us. are the chances good with OH experience or is there a minimum amount of years. what sort of wage would she expect to earn at first? i'm a lift engineer by trade but working for British telecom at mo due to redundancy so OH will be main applicant due to SOP requirements on previous job experience.

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated, as i'm sure you can understand, the information overload you get when you first start on this long journey can be overwhelming

thanks

Hi and welcome :biggrin:

i am yet to put my visa application in but sorting my skills assessment now. In terms of experience, each state have a minimum number of years they like...and i think Victoria is 2 years clinical experience and to demonstrate sufficient funds over $15000...i don't know if this is still the case if you are going down the family sponsor route.

Nic.x.

Guest thewhyman
Hi and welcome :biggrin:

i am yet to put my visa application in but sorting my skills assessment now. In terms of experience, each state have a minimum number of years they like...and i think Victoria is 2 years clinical experience and to demonstrate sufficient funds over $15000...i don't know if this is still the case if you are going down the family sponsor route.

Nic.x.

thanks for that at least it gives us some idea, by the time that we actually get there then OH should have the relevant experiance. where u off to in oz?

Guest robnnic

We were first looking at NSW but they don't do state sponsor, so then we look at WA and now our agent has advised against going via the state sponsor so our options are open really...but i quite like the look of King Edwards hospital in WA....We will go via the 175 route but may end up in WA anyway...its a long process so will probably have changed our minds loads of times by then! (depending on what 'wanted down under' shows and 'phil's relocation'! lol

Good look

Nic