Christmas is always difficult

proud preston

I’ve lived here 17 years (and posted a lot on here about my homesickness!) I always find this time of year particularly difficult. It’s so damn hot here in Brisbane and I find the heat hard. I look longingly at winter pics in England. I miss the Christmas that I grew up with. Miss friends, family and….winter (!) What little nuggets of wisdom can others offer for me to try and get into the Aussie Christmas spirit and ease my negativity? Thanks all 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I haven't really got any nuggets to offer but as long as I'm with my husband and family that's fine for me.  I'm definitely not one of those nostalgic at Christmas types.  My sister is here from Scotland and our two sons and their partners are here for New Year.  We are going away for a few days over Christmas.   It won't be steaming hot here thank goodness.  

Hope you manage to enjoy yourself in spite of homesickness.  Can't be easy at all.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, proud preston said:

I’ve lived here 17 years (and posted a lot on here about my homesickness!) I always find this time of year particularly difficult. It’s so damn hot here in Brisbane and I find the heat hard. I look longingly at winter pics in England. I miss the Christmas that I grew up with. Miss friends, family and….winter (!) What little nuggets of wisdom can others offer for me to try and get into the Aussie Christmas spirit and ease my negativity? Thanks all 

Given that most Christmas Days in Queensland seem to be either cloudy or raining we put the aircon on full power, unwrap our presents, watch some festive British TV on iPlayer, followed by a nice roast dinner in the late afternoon. Beer/wine/scotch o'clock tends to arrive several hours earlier than normal, so I'm fairly merry by early evening which I find helps with not getting too wistful about British Christmases past when all my family was alive. We rarely venture out during the course of the day as we have no family here to visit, and everything is shut anyway. I remind myself that if I was back in the UK then Christmas would be nothing special, as I've no close family over there to celebrate it with. I think it would be rather depressing actually. I've tried doing the Aussie version of Christmas but 'Santa in Sun' doesn't cut the mustard for me, but I won't knock it because I know some Poms love it - prawns on the Barbie and all that.

I know it can be hard if you've got immediate family and close friends back in the UK you're missing but at least there's Skype and Zoom these days. I appreciate it isn't the same as being there, but better than the 5 minute phone call which was all we had back in the 90s. The festive season can be a difficult time over here for a lot of Poms, and as with any situation you find yourself in where you're feeling unhappy the best way to approach it is focus on the positives. I think the cold, wintry weather is nice in the run up to Christmas, but it's thoroughly depressing for the first 3 months of the year when it's cold, dark and rainy. Might see a few daffodils and tulips by the end of March if you're lucky. 2 January always comes around quickly, and when I'm down at the beach or in the pool I think how lovely to be living here rather than be stuck back in the UK with several months of winter drudgery ahead.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, proud preston said:

If resources allow, why not take a flight to Melbourne or Hobart for Christmas? My wife and I have had Christmas at home since the pandemic, but are slowly coming back out of our shells. Lunch by the river, not too much humidity, and a chance to meet some new friends was a highlight of our first four Christmases in Australia.

Homesickness hits us all in different ways. We certainly found ours abated that first year by the wonderful social atmosphere along the river and down the lane ways of Melbourne.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope the homesickness doesn't hit you too hard over the holiday season. 

From the wilds of Country Victoria: Merry Christmas 🎅

• Like 4

I think lots of us have an unrealistic memory of UK Christmas. I have posted photos before of my last one in Bristol. I had a badly broken arm and shoulder, was totally house bound as too scared to venture out and risk more damage slipping on icy pavements, and unsalted roads. 
After almost 30 hot Christmases, this is my norm, breakfast outside, leisurely swim in the pool, walk by the beach watching everyone enjoying themselves, late full roast turkey with all the trimmings, usually eating outside and still chatting away and possibly drinking!!? hours later under the stars. Beats a cold Christmas for me.

where ever you are, make the most of it, don’t let memories of past Christmases spoil this one.

Happy Christmas 

• Like 7

I hear you! The saving factor for Christmas for me is my youngest granddaughter. She loves Christmas and I have steadfastly clung to my British Christmas roots so that she knows (and tells me she loves) our family Christmases. With the maturity of becoming a teenager she has really thrown herself into this Christmas especially  - she's been really enthusiastic about finding just the right gift for her dad, sister and pup. Her mother doesn't celebrate Christmas at all because it's her birthday on NY Eve and in her mind that's more important than Christmas! I guess what I'm saying is that I'm leeching on her excitement and enthusiasm and feeling more Christmassy than I have in a long time. It'll also be good because this will be the first Christmas in 10 years that we can share it with my UK son who should be on his way in a few hours (bugger about all the pre Christmas visit housework that needs to get done now though!)

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, ramot said:

I think lots of us have an unrealistic memory of UK Christmas. I have posted photos before of my last one in Bristol. I had a badly broken arm and shoulder, was totally house bound as too scared to venture out and risk more damage slipping on icy pavements, and unsalted roads. 
After almost 30 hot Christmases, this is my norm, breakfast outside, leisurely swim in the pool, walk by the beach watching everyone enjoying themselves, late full roast turkey with all the trimmings, usually eating outside and still chatting away and possibly drinking!!? hours later under the stars. Beats a cold Christmas for me.

where ever you are, make the most of it, don’t let memories of past Christmases spoil this one.

Happy Christmas 

9242713F-1D3C-46F9-8B34-75284F78A844.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

I hear you! The saving factor for Christmas for me is my youngest granddaughter. She loves Christmas and I have steadfastly clung to my British Christmas roots so that she knows (and tells me she loves) our family Christmases. With the maturity of becoming a teenager she has really thrown herself into this Christmas especially  - she's been really enthusiastic about finding just the right gift for her dad, sister and pup. Her mother doesn't celebrate Christmas at all because it's her birthday on NY Eve and in her mind that's more important than Christmas! I guess what I'm saying is that I'm leeching on her excitement and enthusiasm and feeling more Christmassy than I have in a long time. It'll also be good because this will be the first Christmas in 10 years that we can share it with my UK son who should be on his way in a few hours (bugger about all the pre Christmas visit housework that needs to get done now though!)

Awww, your granddaughter sounds like a lovely lass.

Enjoy Christmas with your family and especially good to have your UK son with you too.  😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ramot said:

9242713F-1D3C-46F9-8B34-75284F78A844.jpeg

Was that that at Christmas?

I can remember a handful of white Christmases when I was a young child but none for years after except for the Christmas I worked in Norfolk in 1970.  We had deep snow then for a few days.  One Hogmany back in my home town we were all out in the street wishing everyone a Happy New Year and the snow was falling in huge flakes.  It was a lovely atmosphere.  I think that was 1975.  A long time ago but always remember how nice it was.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Toots said:

I can remember a handful of white Christmases when I was a young child but none for years after except for the Christmas I worked in Norfolk in 1970.  We had deep snow then for a few days.  One Hogmany back in my home town we were all out in the street wishing everyone a Happy New Year and the snow was falling in huge flakes.  It was a lovely atmosphere.  I think that was 1975.  A long time ago but always remember how nice it was.

1970 is my best ever Christmas memory. My parents took me sledging in the park then I built my first snowman when we got home, and then we still had all presents to unwrap. I thought it would snow every year on Christmas Day, but to my disappointment that was the last real White Christmas of the 20th Century. At least I got to experience one.

• Like 2

@InnerVoice Sounds a lovely memory. I was born in 1969 and i certainly remember - maybe late 70’s? - when it snowed and the magical feeling going out on my own at night, around the streets, building a snowman. The freedom of the UK in the 70’s! I then remember a Christmas in rural Ireland about 20 years ago where it was thick snow. Beautiful. Another Christmas in Ireland - 10 years ago - my own children experienced that magic of snow. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Could have been late November or  dec 2010, can’t remember if it snowed at Christmas.

I have memories of very bad snow I think 1962/3? We got totally stuck halfway up Kingston Hill in the car

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ramot said:

Could have been late November or  dec 2010, can’t remember if it snowed at Christmas.

I have memories of very bad snow I think 1962/3? We got totally stuck halfway up Kingston Hill in the car

I'm guessing it would've been 2010. November and December were very cold and snowy, and there was a White Christmas throughout most of the UK. It was during those two months I decided that I'd had enough of British winters and I was going to return to Australia. A decision I've never regretted!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ramot said:

We were isolated for a while during that bad winter - couldn't get to school and the army had to help getting feed to the livestock.  It seemed to last for weeks.  Sheep had to be dug out of drifts.

Winter 1962/63

snow of 1963.jpeg

winter 1962 1963.jpg

• Like 4

As we had to our 3rd Christmas since moving I am feeling it a bit too.  Not feeling very Christmassy, not even got the decorations up yet!  I few issues with elderly family recently bring it home a bit, and not sure if I will make it back to the UK next year with work either.  Maybe I just need to go and jump in the sea or get the kayak on the river and I will feel better!

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Toots said:

We were isolated for a while during that bad winter - couldn't get to school and the army had to help getting feed to the livestock.  It seemed to last for weeks.  Sheep had to be dug out of drifts.

Winter 1962/63

I remember when I was a kid my family often talked about 'the big freeze'. When someone said we're having a bad winter this year, someone else would pipe up "well it isn't as bad as '63!" When my dad spoke about the winter of 1963 he said what happened was that most of the snow fell in one big dollop, but then there were sub-zero temperatures right into March so the snow just stayed on the ground for a long time. Most people seem to agree that the winter of 1947 was snowier than 1963, and there was also one in the early 80s - although I can't remember exactly when. I've got some photos somewhere of us going for a walk along a country lane in the Peak District, and we were at the same height as the top of the limestone walls (at least 4ft) because all the snow had drifted off the fields and had entirely filled the road. Happy days before climate change!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, proud preston said:

@Jon the Hat I think jumping in the sea or kayak on the river sounds good. I’m not sure when I’ll next get back to England as I found the flight this year bloody awful. Perfectly good flight but I’m just so exhausted during the flight and a week after. It’s horrible- as as know. Plus…..so expensive 

Unless you can afford business or first class the flight is usually pretty horrible.  Sitting on a bus or a train is far more comfortable than that flight.  I also hate airports probably because I hate crowds.  I know it's only 24 hours but even the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.  I'm not a great traveller anymore as you can tell.  😄

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Unless you can afford business or first class the flight is usually pretty horrible.  Sitting on a bus or a train is far more comfortable than that flight.  I also hate airports probably because I hate crowds.  I know it's only 24 hours but even the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.  I'm not a great traveller anymore as you can tell.  😄

I regularly go up to see my mum in deepest Wales. Has to be National Express coach and it takes 14 hours. I'd rather do the flight to Oz anytime! At least you can walk around, have a drink and a meal etc!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

I regularly go up to see my mum in deepest Wales. Has to be National Express coach and it takes 14 hours. I'd rather do the flight to Oz anytime! At least you can walk around, have a drink and a meal etc!!

14 hours on a bus!  My Mum lived off the beater track in Scotland but at least I could get a train to the nearest station then a hire car to her house or if really pushed I could get a bus from the station.  She was about an hour from the station.

• Like 1

For some inexplicable reason I'm feeling just a bit Christmasy this year - usually don't feel anything.  It may be that I'm achieving some house renovations this year & one of seven neighbours already has decorations out.  Bought some multi-colour tinsel the other day - $3-oo, a great expense !  Will put it on my garden Aussie Christmas Trees (4½ft high Yucca plants) on Friday.

• Like 2